Port of Baltimore-confiscating spray cans??

dixieva

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have heard that Baltimore is now confiscating spray cans of suntan lotion, Lysol spray etc. that they find in carry on luggage. However they are not taking cans of hairspray!

Just wondering if you can put this stuff in your checked luggage or will you have to go to the naughty room?

Don't have any idea why security started this so am looking for more information.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have heard that Baltimore is now confiscating spray cans of suntan lotion, Lysol spray etc. that they find in carry on luggage. However they are not taking cans of hairspray!

Just wondering if you can put this stuff in your checked luggage or will you have to go to the naughty room?

Don't have any idea why security started this so am looking for more information.

Can you post a link or something from where you heard this?

maybe it is a groundless rumor.

Or maybe something odd did occur. Does anybody else remember the thread from a couple years ago when a man hid a baggie of flavored tobacco (or some other leafy tobacco like substance) in a faux spray can with a concealed cavity. If I recall correctly, the couple was denied boarding.

Yes, it was a very entertaining thread.

Or maybe something odd did occur. Does anybody else remember the thread from a couple years ago when a man hid a baggie of flavored tobacco (or some other leafy tobacco like substance) in a faux spray can with a concealed cavity. If I recall correctly, the couple was denied boarding.

Yes, and there was a lot more to that story. Let's just say, the poster was less than honest.

So we are talking pump type cans or aerosol cans? How would anyone get liquor into an aerosol type spray can?

Aerosol spray cans so could not possibly be a liquor container. Unless someone has figured out how to do that:eek::D!

To an uninvolved observer, might the confiscation of a specially designed concealment cans be confused with confiscation of regular aerosol cans? just a thought.

I think we would quickly hear on CC if ports were disallowing ordinary consumer products in aerosol cans.

actually it was this past spring/summer and as the story progressed the OP ended up looking more and more foolish/dishonest and sneaky.

while PoB is rather odd in some ways( they are really tetchy about using smartphones/ipads and other interweb capable devices past the metal detectors) overall it's fairly calm, if a bit.. shall we say.. less than friendly.

that being said, I thought( not that it matters to port security stateside) that some of those types of sunscreen were banned in some locations due to an ingredient that was negatively impact local ecosystems? to be honest I didn't really pay much attention...

That saga about the couple kicked off the Freedom was a great read.

Could an aerosol can of Lysol be a hazard because of flammability?

Aerosol anything can be flammable. Hair spray is a great example as it's very flammable. Once again, there has to be more to this story. Also, we put our sunscreen, hairspray, shave cream in our luggage, not carryon's. If it truly was a problem, lots of people would be reporting having to go to the naughty room which hasn't happened. Baltimore is a little more strict. DH had to take his pocketknife back to our car one time, even though it was allowed due to size. Just not worth the argument. We've cruised out of Balt 3 times.

Aerosol anything can be flammable. Hair spray is a great example as it's very flammable. Once again, there has to be more to this story. Also, we put our sunscreen, hairspray, shave cream in our luggage, not carryon's. If it truly was a problem, lots of people would be reporting having to go to the naughty room which hasn't happened. Baltimore is a little more strict. DH had to take his pocketknife back to our car one time, even though it was allowed due to size. Just not worth the argument. We've cruised out of Balt 3 times.

There is more to this than meets the eye. Hair spray is explosively flammable. It is what I use to fuel my potato cannons with. I can chuck a spud 1/4 mile or more with just a couple of short sprays. As for concealment, go into any head shop and you can buy almost any brand of soda can made into hiding spots. I don't think that RCI has time or personnel to check things like that.

There is more to this than meets the eye. Hair spray is explosively flammable. It is what I use to fuel my potato cannons with. I can chuck a spud 1/4 mile or more with just a couple of short sprays. As for concealment, go into any head shop and you can buy almost any brand of soda can made into hiding spots. I don't think that RCI has time or personnel to check things like that.

I can see it now. The Freedom coming broadside to a Carnival ship in port and....."Load...Aim.....FIRE!!!!!" A barrage of potatoes overwhelming the other ship. "INCOMING......:eek:"....."BOARDING PARTY READY!!!!!!":D

Archived