Have you ever been on a CABIN CRAWL.......

...... and if so, how was it organised?

I'm assuming that they are usually held straight after the Meet & Mingle or perhaps on that afternoon.

We have a small group of 32 for our Meet & Mingle so I feel that a cabin-crawl wouldn't be too difficult to organise.

Very interested to hear from those who have participated in the past.

Gae

...... and if so, how was it organised?

I'm assuming that they are usually held straight after the Meet & Mingle or perhaps on that afternoon.

We have a small group of 32 for our Meet & Mingle so I feel that a cabin-crawl wouldn't be too difficult to organise.

Very interested to hear from those who have participated in the past.

Gae

Yes, however our Cabin Crawl was only for members of our large dining room table.

If you organise a group of 32, you would need to break the group down into smaller groups to enable all members to fit into the cabins at once.

Yes we have been on a couple that were very well organized.

Last one we met at a designated place at 2 pm and we were all given a deck plan and a time to leave to see the cabins at 5 min intervals. The cabins went from top to bottom decks and it was fantastic seeing the many different catagories. At the end we all met up for drinks.

No cabin crawl, does not interest me. On most ships, the cabins are the same, i.e. same layout, furnishing and size for balcony, oceanview and inside. Certainly Princess cabins are. Of course except for the mini suites, suites etc and they are for the rich people, not us.

Last one we met at a designated place at 2 pm and we were all given a deck plan and a time to leave to see the cabins at 5 min intervals. The cabins went from top to bottom decks and it was fantastic seeing the many different catagories. At the end we all met up for drinks.

Like Lizzy, we were part of a crawl on HAL and it was good fun and very well organised. As it was our first time on HAL, it was a good opportunity to see the various cabins and we even had a couple who were in an Aft Suite and it was wonderful to see just how impressive that balcony really is!

I think from memory, the crawl was started on the roll call to determine whether there was any interest, and from there, it just grew.

Good luck.

Nicki

No cabin crawl, does not interest me. On most ships, the cabins are the same, i.e. same layout, furnishing and size for balcony, oceanview and inside. Certainly Princess cabins are. Of course except for the mini suites, suites etc and they are for the rich people, not us.

Not my thing either!

Also not so great for those with an inside quad after the crawl maybe wishing they paid the extra for a balcony or above,could take the edge off the excitement of the cruise so early in?

When I had a mini on Pacific Dawn some years ago I made the mistake of showing the room to some first time cruises we met on Honey Moon:eek: They were in an inside and were never the same after! I did explain that it was a free upgrade but that made it worse as they then could not see why they didnt get an upgrade.

In June we invited an American couple back to our extended Aft on Splendor and all they kept saying was "We should have paid more"!

Wouldnt affect most experienced cruisers but it cant be good to see what you could have had or perhaps could never afford?

I did one which was fun. We all put in $5, at each cabin there was a pack of cards. We drew one card. At the end of the 'crawl' of around 8 cabins, we chose the best 5 cards in our hand. The person with the winning poker hand took the pot. 5 Aces won!!!

Not my thing either!

Also not so great for those with an inside quad after the crawl maybe wishing they paid the extra for a balcony or above,could take the edge off the excitement of the cruise so early in?

When I had a mini on Pacific Dawn some years ago I made the mistake of showing the room to some first time cruises we met on Honey Moon:eek: They were in an inside and were never the same after! I did explain that it was a free upgrade but that made it worse as they then could not see why they didnt get an upgrade.

In June we invited an American couple back to our extended Aft on Splendor and all they kept saying was "We should have paid more"!

Wouldnt affect most experienced cruisers but it cant be good to see what you could have had or perhaps could never afford?

Spot on mate, I reckon most cabin crawls are kicked off by those in suites or mini suites, not kicked off by those poor people in insides, the dungeons. We have a Concierge Verandah cabin on Solstice next week as it was a 'free upgrade promo.' But normally we go for obstructed view cabins, we book early and get a partial obstructed, with prices somewhere between oceanview and inside.

Edited by NSWP

Yeah, never really understood the point myself. The only times I've heard that it sounds worthwhile is if someone in a penthouse suite is hosting something as you then have a decent amount of space for people, and something different as well. Other cabins are much of a muchness, and also a bit tight to squeeze in lots of people when you've got luggage and gear lying around as well. Just seems a bit uncomfortable.

Plus you can see what they look like as you walk down the corridors and staff are cleaning!

I recollect on Ruby Princess a couple of years ago, one of the CC'ers had a full suite up top and threw it open for the sailaway party from Civitivecchia. We had the butler and all. After a few hours we had to slink away to our obstructed view cabin on Emerald Deck, with all the other peasants, LOL. We also had full suite people on out dinner table every night, thus we had the Maitre D' turn up every night to help serve, senior officers and entertainers landed on our table too, goody free vino ! Yes, Princess look after their 'Suite people.' But then they paid $20,000 and we paid $5,000 fo the 31 days, Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

Such is life.

I recollect on Ruby Princess a couple of years ago, one of the CC'ers had a full suite up top and threw it open for the sailaway party from Civitivecchia. We had the butler and all. After a few hours we had to slink away to our obstructed view cabin on Emerald Deck, with all the other peasants, LOL. We also had full suite people on out dinner table every night, thus we had the Maitre D' turn up every night to help serve, senior officers and entertainers landed on our table too, goody free vino ! Yes, Princess look after their 'Suite people.' But then they paid $20,000 and we paid $5,000 fo the 31 days, Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

Such is life.

All is not always as it seems...:eek:

Sometimes the suites do not get sold , so they upgrade folk from the minis.:D

All is not always as it seems...:eek:

Sometimes the suites do not get sold , so they upgrade folk from the minis.:D

Upgrades David ? The upgrade fairy does not visit Aussies and Kiwis, well rarely anyway. The Fairy likes North Americans though. The bloke on our table in the suite, was a retired USN Rear Admiral, perhaps the fairy liked Admirals. LOL.

Never been on a cabin crawl. What's the point? For the suite people to show up their suites and butler. And I'm an American and have never had an upsell/upgrade gratis ;( too many cruises to count. I guess I have to be super duper special to get one. Oh well...back into my hole in the ship I'll crawl.

Yeah, don't think there's any favouritism towards nationality. It's pretty hard for most to get upgrades, and really depends more on the specific sailing, as well as circumstances onboard. Nothing to do with nationality.

I love cabin crawls :).

I was in a family oceanview on Radiance and I had a lot of people come and visit my cabin as I was at the very front of the ship and they wanted to check it out...very cool :D. Anyway my cabin was a great size but my cabin steward told me to check out the same type of cabin on the opposite side of the ship to mine. Turns out that FOV was massive and now guess who has booked it for their cruise next month :D:D:D. If I hadn't of checked the cabin out, I never would have known (they look identical in size on the ship layout in the brochure).

I also stayed in a balcony cabin with three friends. I didn't realise that there were some cabins with sofa beds and some with pullmans. I would have loved to have seen these before booking the balcony cabin as 4 women in a balcony cabin with a sofabed was very squishy. It would have been better for us to have the pullmans (yes I would have happily slept on the top bunk as opposed to that uncomfortable soft bed :rolleyes:).

I've not been on one, but would be interested in this on a new ship (if we ever churn from Princess ). You'd have to be lucky to have someone in your group with a 'top shelf' suite willing to be involved.

I agree that it would have to be well organised. I have read posts where nibblies and drinks were provided in each cabin :rolleyes:

For those who can't see the point in joining a Cabin Crawl you are missing out on some great information for future cruises.

Solstice for example advertises their deck 6 balconies as obstructed views but once we saw them the only obstruction was the tender boats below them!! Would be more than happy to have one. The hump cabins are not much dearer than other cabins, once again you just have to know where they are.

The family rooms were amazing, 2 sep bedrooms and not much more than booking a cabin for 4. You just have to know about them. The Aqua suites are exactly the same as every other balcony cabin, except for a different restaurant to eat in.

This is what happened for the one I have did.

It was on the QE2 and we had a HUGE group! Word spread through the crew and we were asked about what was going on, even at dinner! It was a lot of fun.

For those who can't see the point in joining a Cabin Crawl you are missing out on some great information for future cruises.

Solstice for example advertises their deck 6 balconies as obstructed views but once we saw them the only obstruction was the tender boats below them!! Would be more than happy to have one. The hump cabins are not much dearer than other cabins, once again you just have to know where they are.

The family rooms were amazing, 2 sep bedrooms and not much more than booking a cabin for 4. You just have to know about them. The Aqua suites are exactly the same as every other balcony cabin, except for a different restaurant to eat in.

This is very true. Most of the cabins on the newer ships are all very 'cookie cutter', but checking out the specifics of some of the cabins can be very helpful. Like finding out about the infamous pole in some staterooms, or obstructed views, huge or small balconies, lots of noise etc.

• 1 year later...
Hi,

We are sailing on the above cruise and are interested in doing a cabin crawl, can someone please advise me how I can sign up? We are attending the 'Meet and Greet' on the cruise.

Andre and Felicity (cabin 1068)

Have you asked on your Roll Call, often till no one raises it nothing happens.

We haven't done a cabin crawl, but have talked with people at the meet n mingle and gone to see what each others' cabin is like, or sometimes the large aft balcony. Only when the subject has come up, and we each show an interest in learning, not interested in bragging or envy.

Sometimes when walking along the hallway we ask the attendant if the door is open if we can just stick our head in for a quick look at the size. We always ask, and we don't go into the cabin.

I agree with Raina, it is a very good research tool, and even checking out the fifth row inside on Deck 6 on Voyager was an eye opener - the cabin was smallish, but the walking along the corridors! Too far for me to walk.

I think at different times we can afford different levels of spending, and it is good to have a bit of an idea before booking.

I am not going into detail on the subject of upgrades (people get way to upset). We have been very lucky, and I put it down to loyalty level, and booking in Australian waters, and going on off-peak times. Just realize that the cabin you worked hard to research, that was a nice location, can be better than the larger cabin at a bad (noisy) location. Upgrades are lovely, but not always the bonus you might think :)

We haven't done a cabin crawl, but have talked with people at the meet n mingle and gone to see what each others' cabin is like, or sometimes the large aft balcony. Only when the subject has come up, and we each show an interest in learning, not interested in bragging or envy.

Sometimes when walking along the hallway we ask the attendant if the door is open if we can just stick our head in for a quick look at the size. We always ask, and we don't go into the cabin.

I agree with Raina, it is a very good research tool, and even checking out the fifth row inside on Deck 6 on Voyager was an eye opener - the cabin was smallish, but the walking along the corridors! Too far for me to walk.

I think at different times we can afford different levels of spending, and it is good to have a bit of an idea before booking.

I am not going into detail on the subject of upgrades (people get way to upset). We have been very lucky, and I put it down to loyalty level, and booking in Australian waters, and going on off-peak times. Just realize that the cabin you worked hard to research, that was a nice location, can be better than the larger cabin at a bad (noisy) location. Upgrades are lovely, but not always the bonus you might think :)

The bit I've bolded is so true, plus you might get addicted to the higher class, that's how we got hooked on Balconies, our first cruise saw an upgrade and we were hooked.

Hi,

We are sailing on the above cruise and are interested in doing a cabin crawl, can someone please advise me how I can sign up? We are attending the 'Meet and Greet' on the cruise.

Andre and Felicity (cabin 1068)

Welcome to Cruise critic:D

The best place is on your rollcall, ask the question as to who wants to join a cabin crawl (if someone hasn't already) and take it from there. You could always ask at the M&G as well.:D

I went on a cabin crawl on the Solstice a few years ago. It was a lot of fun. The people on our roll call were great and all very friendly. Saw all cabin types. The guy who organized it was very good and had done it a number of times before. We had about 30 people, we all met in one of the bars, and he split us into five groups of six and had a map and time table. I think we left at about 5 minute intervals. After we met up at the bar and had a great afternoon.

I would do it again.

Cheers