If you had to choose: Hawaii or Panama Canal?

Cras108er

A little over a month to go to our Caribbean Cruise, and we're already thinking about next year. Yes, we're addicted! If you had to choose between a partial Panama Canal Cruise (out of Fort Lauderdale) and a Hawaiian Cruise (out of LA), which would you pick, and why?

Hawaii because it's likely longer and I haven't done it :).

If the partial Panama goes through the Gatun locks it's a great experience.

I'm not are if it goes through Gatun locks or not. How would I know? It's a 11 Day cruise next February on the Coral Princess.

We thankfully went to Hawaii several times on our own. Went a few years ago via a cruise ship. You don't see much on a cruise at any of the ports. You are limited in shore excursions because of the short time you spend in the. We used to spend 2 weeks at a time in Hawaii -- island hopping about every 3 or 4 days and really seeing everything.

A partial transit of the canal gives you a very nice introduction of the locks. We have done that a few times.

A full transit of the canal is really nice. We have done that several times.

I would choose the Hawaii cruise. Especially if it's round trip LA to LA. Yes, it's a lot of days at sea, but it's probably the easiest and best way to see the most number of islands. Granted, you won't see everything on those islands there is to see--we did a land vacation to Honolulu (Oahu) and did quite a bit there, but there was so much more we didn't get to do--we were only there for 3 1/2 days. But if you do a land vacation to Hawaii, chances are, you will probably only do one or possibly two islands.

But then, I've been to Colon, Panama, and I've seen the Panama canal. I've seen the locks operate. I didn't get to go through the locks, but then, since it's a time consuming process, I'd probably get bored on a ship that does it. I have been on a boat on the canal, and it is an unforgettable experience to be at a place that we learned about back in elementary school, and since we were on tiny boats with the purpose of looking for wildlife, we weren't disappointed as we saw a sloth and a Capuchin monkey. Bottom line, though, I would say that being on a small, maneuverable boat on the canal is something I would chose over actually being on a cruise ship on the canal.

A little over a month to go to our Caribbean Cruise, and we're already thinking about next year. Yes, we're addicted! If you had to choose between a partial Panama Canal Cruise (out of Fort Lauderdale) and a Hawaiian Cruise (out of LA), which would you pick, and why?

that's a toughie. I have been to Hawai'i several times, although only to Ohahu, not any of the other islands, and I would like to hit Maui, which is where my mother died while on vacation there.

But the Canal sounds like it would be fun..

although DH says its boring as all get out to go through the locks. he's done it before.. only the ship he was on was grey, not a pretty white and there was no alcohol on board...

Honestly all other things being equal, I'd probably flip a coin. otherwise I'd go for the one with the best price( to include airfare costs) that got me the best category cabin.

Panama Canal.

Hawaii is best seen as a land tour.

Panama! I would love to see the locks and the land on both sides of the ship. Hawaii is best done as a land based experience.

Couldn't agree more. Have been to Hawaii many times, and the Canal three times. Hawaii is great by land.

If the only Canal cruise you can do is a partial, go for it. But a full transit is far better.

I have done both .... in fact the partial transit on the Coral was my very first cruise ever, and it was a great way to start and to get hooked on cruising.

Now, 16 Princess cruises later (with 3 more booked), I have done the LA-Hawaii-LA cruise 5 times on 5 different ships, and it is one of may favorites. I happen to love the sea days, and I also love the ports. While I agree that the time in the ports is limited to a day each, it's a wonderful introduction to the Hawaiian islands.

IMO, whichever one you choose, you will go interesting places and see new and beautiful things!

While this may be somewhat non-responsive....

Panama Canal....FULL transit (out of FLL).

The Canal is about to change...getting larger for larger ships. The only way to see the original canal for sure is to go now, before they open the new locks in a year or two.

The ships are relatively small (to fit the locks) now....when the larger locks open.....you can see where this is going.... :rolleyes::)

We've done a full-transit Panama Canal cruise twice and just returned from our first Hawaiian cruise from San Pedro.

I'd pick the Panama Canal (much preferring a full transit though). I admit that the main reason is because we did not have very good weather on our Hawaiian cruise, even in the islands. Maybe if we had had nice warm, sunny weather our opinion would be different.

We have been to Hawaii several times on land tours and after this cruise that is probably how we will visit there again.

Part of our reason for cruising in the winter is for warm or even hot weather, and we didn't get much of that. We also did feel rushed on the islands; our best day was on Maui where we didn't rent a car and drive all over trying to see a lot but just shopped and found a nice beach to lay on--it was also the day with the best weather, especially no rain.

My DH was very resistant to a Panama Canal cruise because he thought he would be bored during the canal crossing. He actually enjoyed it. It's like a sea day (which we like) with the added benefit of interesting things to see.

To compare apples to apples, I think you need to look at full transit canal (14 days or so) vs cruise to/from Hawaii. Or cruise in Hawaii vs partial transit.

We've done the NCL Pride of America in Hawaii - 7 days which included 2 overnights (Maui & Kauai). (and we flew in the day before, so had some sightseeing time pre-cruise.) I would recommend that over cruising to or from Hawaii with so many days at sea and shorter island times. Unless you love sea days, of course.

One day we hope to do the full transit canal.

I would vote for Panama.

I actually did the partial last November and while I had wanted to do the full canal I ended up deciding that we had gone on the best one.

On the partial you book the Canal Experience excursion - you get off the ship and transfer to a smaller 2 level ferry type boat that takes you through to the Pacifice side - you get to see the canal up close and even touch the sides. We were able to chat with some people on a smaller catamaran tied up beside us in one of the locks. then from the Pacific side they bus you back to Colon to meet your ship.

This was hands down my best cruise ship day!!!!

I would vote for Panama.

I actually did the partial last November and while I had wanted to do the full canal I ended up deciding that we had gone on the best one.

On the partial you book the Canal Experience excursion - you get off the ship and transfer to a smaller 2 level ferry type boat that takes you through to the Pacifice side - you get to see the canal up close and even touch the sides. We were able to chat with some people on a smaller catamaran tied up beside us in one of the locks. then from the Pacific side they bus you back to Colon to meet your ship.

Thanks. You answered my next question, which was the difference between a full and partial transit. I think we may lean toward the Canal, and a POA cruise of the islands later. It sounds like that would be the best of both worlds. If we're going to to do a transoceanic crossing, we might save it for a Med cruise after retirement.

I would vote for Panama.

Thanks. You answered my next question, which was the difference between a full and partial transit. I think we may lean toward the Canal, and a POA cruise of the islands later. It sounds like that would be the best of both worlds. If we're going to to do a transoceanic crossing, we might save it for a Med cruise after retirement, when we ha e time to combine it with a land tour (better yet, maybe that will be our retirement present to ourselves).

A few thoughts I have, having done a full transit of the Panama Canal, but not Hawaii. I don't agree what I see as a consensus that the Panama Canal would be better than Hawaii, which I will probably do before the summer.

There are a lot of sea days on both, which I prefer. I am beyond the tourist/excursion stage and just enjoy meandering on the ship and in the ports. The Canal is a fascinating marvel and I don't discount that, but full transit is a long day from sunrise to sunset and there is a limit to watching the wonder of it. You will also stop in some Caribbean ports, the best to me being Cartagena.

I think working in both would be good and as to the first, to me it makes no difference. As to the transatlantic, I would rate that above both the Canal and Hawaii even given the severe circumstance of much more hideous air travel. Many would disagree.

We found the ideal answer to that question.

Do them both, B2B.

We boarded the ship at Ft. Lauderdale, rode through the canal to San Diego, then continued on to Hawaii, then got off and enjoyed a wonderful vacation on land in Hawaii.

It was a great solution and I highly recommend it, if you can take the time. You get the best of both that way.

I agree with the previous advice to do the full transit through the original canal now while you can, and see the places where they are working on construction of the new locks for the canal expansion.

You need to be up high for the best views, so a small boat won't do.

On the cruise ship, you can get down as low as you can on a ferry, but on a ferry, you cannot get up as high as you can on a cruise ship.

You will get close to the sides of the locks on either.

Also, you get the best views going under the Centennial Bridge and Bridge of the Americas from the highest deck.

Then in a a few more years you can go back and do it again, after the canal expansion is complete when you will be able to ride through the new locks for comparison.

Archived