Where's my muster station gonna be?

Talking about having some random photos from Allure. Hope this might solve some mysteries.

20160708202655-0536cf85-me.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I'm guessing it's the same for Oasis. I wasn't exactly stressing over our muster station but it's helpful to know where it will be since this will be our first RCI cruise.

This makes a lot of sense! Thank you for putting this out here! I did not realize before that there was no A3 or A4, since all the other general muster station areas have 4 muster stations within themselves. It appears the crew also have their own assembly stations, which I had suspected but did not know for sure!

What most cruisers believe is the alarm for "abandon ship" (seven short blasts and one long one) when they do their muster drill, is actually the signal for "fire and general emergency", and the crew go to their emergency stations, not their abandon ship stations. These emergency stations may be fire fighting teams, or engineering teams, or teams to prepare the lifeboats, or those who guide the passengers at the stairwells and take the muster. There are also some crew who do not have a specified emergency duty, and are used as needed, and these will muster at their abandon ship muster stations. The crew you see at the passenger muster drill are only those whose emergency duties involve guiding the passengers to muster, taking muster, and checking that cabins are empty.

Only after the passengers have left the ship would the Captain signal abandon ship (one long blast), which would signal crew to leave their emergency stations and go to their liferaft stations. Since the liferafts are normally intermingled with the boats, you could not have both passengers and crew mustering at the same time.

Also, the crew who take your muster are not your boat crews. These muster station personnel will guide you to the boats, and assist you with boarding, and will then wait with the rest of the crew to abandon ship.

The number of "sub" muster stations is dependent on the number of passengers in the fire zone. Since zone A only has half the number of pax as the other zones, they only need two sub-stations.

Edited by chengkp75

What most cruisers believe is the alarm for "abandon ship" (seven short blasts and one long one) when they do their muster drill, is actually the signal for "fire and general emergency", and the crew go to their emergency stations, not their abandon ship stations. These emergency stations may be fire fighting teams, or engineering teams, or teams to prepare the lifeboats, or those who guide the passengers at the stairwells and take the muster. There are also some crew who do not have a specified emergency duty, and are used as needed, and these will muster at their abandon ship muster stations. The crew you see at the passenger muster drill are only those whose emergency duties involve guiding the passengers to muster, taking muster, and checking that cabins are empty.

Only after the passengers have left the ship would the Captain signal abandon ship (one long blast), which would signal crew to leave their emergency stations and go to their liferaft stations. Since the liferafts are normally intermingled with the boats, you could not have both passengers and crew mustering at the same time.

Also, the crew who take your muster are not your boat crews. These muster station personnel will guide you to the boats, and assist you with boarding, and will then wait with the rest of the crew to abandon ship.

The number of "sub" muster stations is dependent on the number of passengers in the fire zone. Since zone A only has half the number of pax as the other zones, they only need two sub-stations.

Exactly! When I sailed the Liberty this past March, it was her turn for an annual Coast Guard inspection and drill for the crew- caused some bad delays and drove everyone crazy, but in the end it's for safety sake. While waiting to board the ship we heard the seven short and one long blast from the inflatable, temporary port building and my mom asked, "is that a distress call?" So I explained to her exactly what you just wrote above. And sure enough, several minutes later, we heard the one long boast for abandon ship! Since they're such big ships, it makes perfect since that they can't get the guests and crew off the ship at the same time in an emergency.

Thanks for posting this! I'm guessing it's the same for Oasis. I wasn't exactly stressing over our muster station but it's helpful to know where it will be since this will be our first RCI cruise.

That's exactly how I feel! Not an issue at all, just good to know, especially so that I don't have to worry about finding at the last minute in the midst of the crowd!

I believe the Oasis and Harmony are the same. My station on Oasis was B2, in the Opal Theater. On Allure my station was F3, in the main dining room. So I have stayed forward and aft. My upcoming cruise on Harmony I will be staying midship, so I'm guessing I'll be going to Studio B! Have a great time on Oasis. I enjoyed my time on her as well.

You are most deservedly welcome! So wonderful to see so much potential

in one so young. I am quite sure your parents are proud! :)

Once again, I appreciate it very much. Definitely a highlight of my day right here. It's really good to have kind people like you on these boards! Makes me feel more like I belong here :)

Exactly! When I sailed the Liberty this past March, it was her turn for an annual Coast Guard inspection and drill for the crew- caused some bad delays and drove everyone crazy, but in the end it's for safety sake. While waiting to board the ship we heard the seven short and one long blast from the inflatable, temporary port building and my mom asked, "is that a distress call?" So I explained to her exactly what you just wrote above. And sure enough, several minutes later, we heard the one long boast for abandon ship! Since they're such big ships, it makes perfect since that they can't get the guests and crew off the ship at the same time in an emergency.

Well, even further than that, the signal for passenger muster is not about getting into the boats. It is a means to provide accountability and control over the passengers during an emergency. It provides the officers with a count of missing passengers, and places them in a fixed number of known locations. This allows the emergency teams to focus on the emergency and not on tracking down missing people or having to look for casualties in the emergency area.

There are many, many examples where the situation was severe enough for the Captain to want to corral and count the passengers, but had no intention of putting them into the boats. Star Princess is a classic example, where the passengers were at muster for hours during the fire, but the Captain knew that there was very little chance that he would need to put the passengers into the boats, let alone have the crew abandon.

Well, even further than that, the signal for passenger muster is not about getting into the boats. It is a means to provide accountability and control over the passengers during an emergency. It provides the officers with a count of missing passengers, and places them in a fixed number of known locations. This allows the emergency teams to focus on the emergency and not on tracking down missing people or having to look for casualties in the emergency area.

There are many, many examples where the situation was severe enough for the Captain to want to corral and count the passengers, but had no intention of putting them into the boats. Star Princess is a classic example, where the passengers were at muster for hours during the fire, but the Captain knew that there was very little chance that he would need to put the passengers into the boats, let alone have the crew abandon.

That makes a lot of sense. Another example being the Freedom of the Seas fire last summer. They used the exact same procedure and there was only one minor injury! I do have a lot of trust in RCCL and their plans, in my opinion they are very well thought-out and the cruise industry has the right idea in accounting for the passengers first.

That makes a lot of sense. Another example being the Freedom of the Seas fire last summer. They used the exact same procedure and there was only one minor injury! I do have a lot of trust in RCCL and their plans, in my opinion they are very well thought-out and the cruise industry has the right idea in accounting for the passengers first.

While the industry as a whole does a fine job of handling emergencies, I wouldn't pat them on the back too much for their emergency plans and procedures, since they are mandated by law in the SOLAS convention.

It is more interested in protecting itself from

fines and court proceedings, less in the safety of its passengers.

They're a multinational corporation - they're not a mom and pop hardware store serving the community.

Edited by Penciltwister

• 2 years later...
Unfortunately, for some reason, the main boards have had their share of mean and

nasty posters lately. It did not used to be that way. Venting frustrations? Bored

out of school on summer break? Just hoping it tames down a bit, since many

others have noticed these obnoxious types and are leaving the boards recently.

Fortunately there really are more sincere people on these boards that are willing

to help, than the "other ones". I am sorry you have to experience that when you

are new to the boards. Hopefully it will get better again. :)

I agree with you completely. Funny is one thing but, mean is quite another. If you are only going to make a snarky comment why bother? Just be kind.

I agree with you completely. Funny is one thing but, mean is quite another. If you are only going to make a snarky comment why bother? Just be kind.

Why thank you! Very kind of you. Though this thread is over two years old, it is still a good rule to live by. :)

It is more interested in protecting itself from

fines and court proceedings, less in the safety of its passengers.

They're a multinational corporation - they're not a mom and pop hardware store serving the community.

What proof do you have of this, I would like to see it.

This thread is from 2013, was resurrected in 2016 and then again yesterday for some bizarre reason. The poster you are quoting hasn't even posted since January 2017. This thread needs to be locked or deleted.

Totally agree....Mods...you out there? :confused:

This thread is from 2013, was resurrected in 2016 and then again yesterday for some bizarre reason. The poster you are quoting hasn't even posted since January 2017. This thread needs to be locked or deleted.

I agree its so easy to get “sucked in”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not 100 percent sure but maybe 99 percent as I have sailed both Oasis and Allure and have an upcoming cruise on Harmony.

A1-4: Vitality At Sea Fitness Center

B1-4: Amber Theater

C1: Jazz on 4

C2: Blaze Nightclub

C3: Comedy Live

C4: On Air Karaoke Club

D1-4: Studio B Ice Rink

E1: Royal Promenade

E2: Promenade Cafe

E3: Champagne Bar

E4: Guest Services

F1-4: Main Dining Room

G1-4: AquaTheater

I know this is an old thread but I hope this answers any remaining questions! No need to worry about muster on this ship, as all but one area is in a comfortable, air-conditioned venue. I don't mind it one bit! (After all, it is for your safety!)

Allure is a wonderful ship, as is the Oasis class of ships in general.

Just got off Oasis, E3, guest services