What percent of Americans have been on a cruise?

Scottohiocpa

Back in 1987 when we went on our first cruise, I heard that only 1% of all Americans had ever been on a cruise. Then in 2000, I heard it was up to 2%, with less than 1% ever going on 2 or more cruises.

I wonder what the percentages are today? Anyone know where we might find a reliable source of this statistic?

I thought it was more in the 5-10% range. I always ask my friends and coworkers if they've ever been on a cruise and vast majority always say NO (and I don't live too far from the coast. 5 hour drive to the closest cruise terminal. I'm sure it's even lower in states that are farther from the coast).

funinthesun1964 - now you know what CPA's think about when all of their tax returns are finished for the year, stuff like this.

I found a cruise industry site that says we are up to 24% of all Americans which sounds a little high, but maybe it's true.

It also said that ALL of the cruise ships in the entire world for 1 year have less than half as many passengers as there are visitors to Las Vegas in 1 year.

funinthesun1964 - now you know what CPA's think about when all of their tax returns are finished for the year, stuff like this.

I found a cruise industry site that says we are up to 24% of all Americans which sounds a little high, but maybe it's true.

It also said that ALL of the cruise ships in the entire world for 1 year have less than half as many passengers as there are visitors to Las Vegas in 1 year.

Well, I know I would rather be on a cruise than in Vegas..been there twice and have no real desire to go back. Maybe I will later in life just to see if anything has changed.

My guess is 14.850394857821% +/- 8% :D

I would be very surprised if it were 20% like many off you are saying almost no one I know cruises . I have mixed feelings about this , on one hand you want the cruise lines to do well but not to well so it drives prices up. As far as the numbers I mean how many people have NOT been to Disney World I would say 90%of people I know have I would also like to know the numbers on that.As far as anti -cruise sentiment there will always be people(bores) like this who put things down that they don't do . I have found in this world there are two kinds of people active (cruisers ,travelers ) and those who are not and one rarely turns into the other if some one is anti -cruise they are the ones missing out.

Just read (but having a senior moment and can't remember where) that 80% of all Americans have never been on a cruise. I was surprised it was that high. I guess those of us who do cruise just keep doing it again and again.

Just read (but having a senior moment and can't remember where) that 80% of all Americans have never been on a cruise. I was surprised it was that high. I guess those of us who do cruise just keep doing it again and again.

Guess that means that if 80% have NOT ... then 20% HAVE. :rolleyes:

Still find it hard to believe 20% of ALL in the US have been on at least one cruise. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

Or 17% or 20% (as of 2010), depending on the source.

At the first link, the source for the 17% figure (% of Americans who have ever cruised) is "the cruise industry," according to the article. More specifically, a different part of the article also states that in a single year (2008), the Cruise Lines International Association estimated that 13.2 million people cruised. The context implies that this is just for North America, though it doesn't specifically say so. But in any case, what it also doesn't say is how many of those 13.2 million were repeat cruisers.

Hopefully someone can point to a more specific answer to the original question; I'm curious to know too!

Well, I know I would rather be on a cruise than in Vegas..been there twice and have no real desire to go back. Maybe I will later in life just to see if anything has changed.

My guess is 14.850394857821% +/- 8% :D

What are you a Statistitician? Tscore? Zscore?:)

I've always heard around 10%. In my circle that is about correct.

Back in 1987 when we went on our first cruise, I heard that only 1% of all Americans had ever been on a cruise. Then in 2000, I heard it was up to 2%, with less than 1% ever going on 2 or more cruises.

I wonder what the percentages are today? Anyone know where we might find a reliable source of this statistic?

There are probably better statistics for the number of US citizens who have traveled OUTSIDE their own borders - take a % of that for cruisers. In statistics I've found USA are not great travelers...... having said that there are DEDICATED US travelers who have been everywhere.

I'm sort of surprised by the 20% figure. At first, it sounds high, but then I think of my office at work, and there are 12 of us in there. Of the 12, 5 of us have been on cruises, which puts it at over 40% (sorry, I'm terrible at figuring out percentages) of the people in the office who have cruised at least once.

There are probably better statistics for the number of US citizens who have traveled OUTSIDE their own borders - take a % of that for cruisers. In statistics I've found USA are not great travelers...... having said that there are DEDICATED US travelers who have been everywhere.

But, keep in mind the US is a very large country with a lot of places to go without ever leaving the US. I don't think you can compare US citizens to say, people from Europe. I take day road trips here in the States that if I were in Europe would take me through a couple of countries in Europe. Just because US citizens may not have crossed an international border doesn't mean they don't travel. In my opinion, a US citizen who has been to 30 US states is roughly equivalent to a European who has been to 30 European countries. We have a wide range of geography here, many different English dialects, and even different--well I hesitate to use the word culture, but different outlooks on life, different ways of doing things, etc. People from rural Mississippi are not going to be the same as the people in Los Angeles, for example.

Now, I won't disagree that there are some people who have probably never been outside of their state, or who have never traveled more than 100-200 miles from home because some people don't like to do that. I don't understand them, but they exist. :eek:

Archived