Delayed Boarding email from Royal Caribbean

Received this in an email just now:

We are contacting you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on the Oasis of the Season March 16th. Due to recent U.S. budget sequestration, U.S. Customs and Border Protection staffing has been affected, creating a longer immigration processing time for departing guests, and the ship has experienced a later clearance time for arriving guests. Therefore, your check-in window is now between 12:00pm to 3:45pm, which is later than the times published in your cruise documents. Please do not arrive at the terminal prior to 12:00pm. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

A leaked e-mail that made the rounds in the US Park Service advised to make the local cuts impact the public as much as possible.

Forget any politics, does anyone remember when the government worked for us and not the other way around?

if it hits FLL, it will probably be done in all other ports as well.

Since both Oasis and Allure board/debark on the weekends, I'm sure this has to do with the fact that overtime is being completely cut. I think it has less to do with the port and more to do with the day and number of cruisers.

I am hoping we get some consensus in the next few weeks about how long the process is really taking. I havent booked our car service from the port yet since I have no idea what time to book it for. My TA said book for 9AM but I am dubious. Luckily we dont have to worry about flights home (the port of Baltimore is only an hour from our house)

I don't understand this email notification. Federal civilian employees have to be given 30 days written notice before furlough. How could sequestration affect boarding so soon? Seems to me like the misinformed are spreading misinformation? Hopefully this will all be worked out before furloughs are enacted!

I don't understand this email notification. Federal civilian employees have to be given 30 days written notice before furlough. How could sequestration affect boarding so soon? Seems to me like the misinformed are spreading misinformation? Hopefully this will all be worked out before furloughs are enacted!

Federal employees have to be notified of furloughs, but they don't have to be notified of the loss of overtime. That is probably what is happening here. Overtime is being cut out. Wintertime in Fort Lauderdale sees many more cruise ships than any other time of year. That stretches Customs resources really thin and that is likely compensated by plenty of overtime being available this time of year. If overtime is eliminated, that would cause a potential dramatic drop in service.

Received this in an email just now:

We are contacting you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing on the Oasis of the Season March 16th. Due to recent U.S. budget sequestration, U.S. Customs and Border Protection staffing has been affected, creating a longer immigration processing time for departing guests, and the ship has experienced a later clearance time for arriving guests. Therefore, your check-in window is now between 12:00pm to 3:45pm, which is later than the times published in your cruise documents. Please do not arrive at the terminal prior to 12:00pm. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

So you all are buying off on this Ha-Ha ??? They got alot of people to bite on this.....I hope people don't show up late based on somebody trying to be cute

They changed the name of the ship to make it look like it came from RCCL

Federal employees have to be notified of furloughs, but they don't have to be notified of the loss of overtime. That is probably what is happening here. Overtime is being cut out.

I think it's more likely that RCI benefits from these guys getting OT so they are incentivized to spread the fear of sequestration. RCI knows they have a good thing with quick embarkation and they don't want that to end.

I'm on the Allure this Sunday and I was originally scheduled to board at 11:30. RCI sends me a notice that I shouldn't come until 12:00? Really?

So you all are buying off on this Ha-Ha ??? They got alot of people to bite on this.....I hope people don't show up late based on somebody trying to be cute

There are two different threads of people from two different sailings that have received an email. The OP could have retyped the whole thing and forgot a space or the cruiseline forgot it. I don't think this is a spoof.

Federal employees have to be notified of furloughs, but they don't have to be notified of the loss of overtime. That is probably what is happening here. Overtime is being cut out. Wintertime in Fort Lauderdale sees many more cruise ships than any other time of year. That stretches Customs resources really thin and that is likely compensated by plenty of overtime being available this time of year. If overtime is eliminated, that would cause a potential dramatic drop in service.

Quite right about the notification to employees of a furlough. It is 30 days notice for federal employees. I believe you have also hit the nail on the head in regard to elimination of overtime. That has been occuring where I work for a few weeks now (I am a federal employee) it started before the sequestration deadline so it sure as heck will happen in CBP also.

The poor spelling proves it came from RCI!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and so it begins.

With all the threads about late disembarkation lately, it's good RCI stepped up and let you know ahead of time.

I have to agree with you. It is good to know that Royal is letting everyone know what to expect ahead of time.

Archived