what would be your ideal new cruise ship design?

herbanrenewal

someone on the NCL forum asked a question regarding the trend for all new ships to be Mega ships, and it got me thinking - Does anyone else really wish the cruise lines would build a new smaller class ship?

By far the big selling point for Mega-ships seem to be the large scale entertainment - Broadway type shows, name star acts, large production entertainments, as well as variety and types of onboard activities.

Personally, I like the smaller ships' smaller venues - I prefer a good jazz quartet, piano bar, wine cellar to huge shows. I truly wish more cruise lines were building 2000-2500 passenger ships so the quality of the ship stays high. They also have the advantage of being able to dock rather than tender at smaller port, and take advantage of other ports where the big floating hotels just can't be accommodated.

I really wish there were more ships that could sail from smaller ports like Baltimore. Only older ships on very limited number of lines still sail from there, and a limiting factor for potential customers really is the age of the ships that do still make it under the Key Bridge. I would sail more if the cost of airfare wasn't doubling my cost. And if winter cruises were not complicated by the need to travel 2 or 3 days before a sail date to be sure weather and cancelled flights didn't prevent me getting on the ship in time. (adding more cost and time to travel) The northeast has a potential client base that would surely make building a new small ship worthwhile.

A smaller ship built to accommodate the northern US ports - with indoor heated pool so you could enjoy from day one the "I'm on a cruise" atmosphere when sailing from the northeast in the winter - that would be my dream new ship!

someone on the NCL forum asked a question regarding the trend for all new ships to be Mega ships, and it got me thinking - Does anyone else really wish the cruise lines would build a new smaller class ship?

Personally, I like the smaller ships' smaller venues - I prefer a good jazz quartet, piano bar, wine cellar to huge shows. I truly wish more cruise lines were building 2000-2500 passenger ships so the quality of the ship stays high. They also have the advantage of being able to dock rather than tender at smaller port, and take advantage of other ports where the big floating hotels just can't be accommodated.

Hi herbanrenewal,

Couldn't agree more. I am not interested in going on any ship larger than

Celebrity 'M' class ships. I notice you have an Infinity cruise booked for 2014. Have been on Infinity a number of times - it may show its age a bit

but I do not like showy, glitzy surroundings, so that is fine. We are more 'at home' with interesting people who enjoy nice food in pleasant surroundings than (for us) the unwanted activities on the mega ships.

My favorite cruise was the Galaxy out of Baltimore. Galaxy was the younger, prettier, glitzier sister to the Century. Loved driving to port and had a wonderful 10 day cruise on her. She was small enough to be intimate but large enough to keep us entertained for 10 days. She didn't have many (if any) veranda's so that's the one change I would make. I'd be willing to pay a little more for the cruise to go out of a drivable port.

We're going on the Reflection in November out of FLL. I would rather go out of a port closer to home but what can you do? I've learned to hate to fly so now the flight is something we'll just have to suffer through. We would cruise more often if it was closer to home. Our limitation right now is DH's vacation time. I don't like having to waste valuable VACA time to fly to a port.

My favorite cruise was the Galaxy out of Baltimore. Galaxy was the younger, prettier, glitzier sister to the Century. Loved driving to port and had a wonderful 10 day cruise on her. She was small enough to be intimate but large enough to keep us entertained for 10 days. quote]

The Galaxy had a lounge outside the MDR that was windowless and down a flight of stairs. The tables under the stairs were odd and you couldn't see the man playing the piano. Otherwise, the Galaxy is a favorite ship.

The RCL Splendour of the Seas was our all time favorite with the large library on one side with comfortable furniture and a full wall of windows. The Viking Crown Lounge had views all the way around. The MDR, and two show theaters were well designed and had windows. Only improvement to make to that design was to make the Solarium Pool a T-Pool, and no smoking anywhere indoors.

jls

I too love the smaller ships. I wish they would bring some back rather than the huge ships. We were on the Equinox and are sailing TA on the Sillhoute in a few weeks. However, I loved the Galaxy, Merucry, Century (before she was stretched), Zenith and Horizon.

We were able to dock in downtown Hamilton, Bermuda on both Zenith and Horizon which was lovely.

But, in my opinion, I don't think the powers that be are going to build smaller ships.

We have been on six cruise ships, the NCL Gem, Jade and Epic as well as the Celebrity Infinity, Constellation and Solstice.

The Solstice was a superior design than the Epic. The Epic (4200) was just too large for us. Solstice was nice with about 3000 occupancy, but we like the smaller ships like Infinity, Connie, Gem and Jade.

I have been on many cruises....largest was the Silhouette....smallest was a Turkish Gulet with 9 guests and a crew of 3. I enjoyed all my cruises.Most were good. Some were outstanding. My favorite cruises have been the ones with exceptional service. and no line at guest services. I like a well run ship where the guest service people offer suggestions with a smile. I like a ship where passengers do not have problems. My most recent cruise(not Celebrity) was on a ship with 200 passengers and a staff ratio of 2:1. The cabins did not have verandas and there wasn't any glitz. The cabins were recently redecorated. Everything looked fresh. Everything worked. It was superb. People were happy and everything worked well. There was never a line. The longest that I waited was 5 minutes for a tender.

I also hate the nickel and dime charges for things. Include a dinner at each specialty restaurant. I would prefer a truly inclusive rate. Azamara is heading in that direction. However, Azamara needs to redo its cabins. It's time to replace the R ship furnishings.

I would use the S-Class (probably Silhouette or Equinox w/o the Glass show area) as the basis. Add the M-Class T-Spa pool, add a larger dance floor area with a good bar for the live band so the bands weren't in the Atirum, and dancing was a bit more private then in the Atrium, and would reduce the noise coming up from there into so many deck areas.

Other than that, love the S-Class. Looking forward to the Constellation also.

Add any from Princess ships I've been on? Liked the Princess International Cafe area and the more open Promenade deck of Princess. Could add that. But not the more cramped Princess common areas, small theaters, no place to have company in Princess standard SRs, and no interest in the outside movie screen.

RCL/Carnival - cant really think of any major areas that I'd add from on of those ships to the S-Class.

Den

Mine would be Solstice or Equinox size & capacity, but with M style cabins & storage...(keep the S class baths please :) ) A t pool in the solareaum, & it would be a true adults only area... no kiddies running thru on their way to the Aqua spa cafe please. A deck with a dedicated walking jogging track where I didn't have to dodge the lounge chairs would be nice too.

Mine would be Solstice or Equinox size & capacity, but with M style cabins & storage...(keep the S class baths please :) ) A t pool in the solareaum, & it would be a true adults only area... no kiddies running thru on their way to the Aqua spa cafe please. A deck with a dedicated walking jogging track where I didn't have to dodge the lounge chairs would be nice too.

Ditto, better storage, a promenade, and 2000 guests would be ideal.

Archived