What happens to shore excursions if itinerary changes

sparkins_mob

I'm wondering about what happens if you have a shore excursion booked and the itinerary for the ship changes? I'm thinking that with most places, if the itinerary change is in advance, you can just re-schedule or cancel if need be. But what happens if it is a last minute change due to weather or something?

If is it a ship excursion, will they refund it back to you?

I'm assuming if it is private excursion, that you're basically just out the money?

What happens if you get quarantined for noro or something? Will you be refunded if it is a ship excursion?

It has been a number of years, but we had this problem on Vision of the Seas before. The ship had propulsion issues and it altered the itinerary for us. We had a private excursion booked and were going to arrive in port late. I stayed in touch with the tour operator by email and fortunately she was able to still accommodate us at a later time. Others who had booked the same activity and did not contact her were not as fortunate. Ultimately, it is on you to be proactive and stay in touch. As to ship excursions, I believe the ship will offer a refund or the opportunity to reschedule something else.

On a cruise to Bermuda we had to depart Bermuda almost a full day early. The Celebrity canceled all the shore excursions and refunded all money. We returned our rental scooter early and everyone was very nice about getting us back to the ship in Hamilton at the time.

Privately arranged shore excursions were the responsibilty of the PAX.

I'm wondering about what happens if you have a shore excursion booked and the itinerary for the ship changes? I'm thinking that with most places, if the itinerary change is in advance, you can just re-schedule or cancel if need be. But what happens if it is a last minute change due to weather or something?

I'm assuming if it is private excursion, that you're basically just out the money?

What happens if you get quarantined for noro or something? Will you be refunded if it is a ship excursion?

YES, or offered another excursion if you want

Not necessarily, in my experience never - if the ship is not docking many professional services refund/ don't charge. I have had ports cancelled, and because of the terms when booking, there was no charge.

If port is delayed but not cancelled, often you are expected to take the tour on the new date.

Its a great idea to check with the company or guide before you commit to know their policies, including what if the ship fails to dock, and also who is responsible if someone doesn't show up after committing.

What happens if you get quarantined for noro or something?

Private tour cancellations usually require notice - frequently 24 hours, so if the port is 24 hours away you may be able to email them to cancel. You are committed to the terms originally agreed upon.

Will you be refunded if it is a ship excursion?

Not sure - when booking, ask!

We've had a number (15-20) of Celebrity excursions cancelled over the last 15 years for a variety of reasons from missed ports to local operator issues. Usually our "notice" of cancellation was a refund receipt slid under our cabin door. :-) Celebrity has ALWAYS refunded the money without even being asked. We have never been forced to take an alternative excursion.

For private excursions as others have posted it's "caveat emptor". As noted the reputable operators will likely refund your money but we've had travel companions who booked through an operator that said there was no penalty for cancellation or change yet kept the deposit anyway.

What happens if you get quarantined for noro or something?

Private tour cancellations usually require notice - frequently 24 hours, so if the port is 24 hours away you may be able to email them to cancel. You are committed to the terms originally agreed upon.

Will you be refunded if it is a ship excursion? Not sure - when booking, ask!

I'd think Celebrity would.

Know for sure HAL refunded the shore excursions for any those who had reported having noro to the medical center ... as well as the person sharing a cabin.

LuLu

~~~~

We had a snorkel adventure planned in the Carribean that was canceled by Celebrity because of high waves. We got our money back or we were offered to join another tour. We chose the other tour of the island and were very pleased with the substitution.

Yes, if Celebrity cancels an excursion they will definitely refund your

money back. I have had this happen over the years. Sometimes they

cancel due to "lack of participation" and they send you something

in an envelope telling you the credit will be issued back onto your on

board account.

You will get your money back or they will offer you another choice if possible.

We have had late arrival at the port and Celebrity refunded our excursion. If you have a private excursion, you are on your own.

We ask before booking because one time we would have forfeited our deposit - possibly the whole thing - if we didn't dock when expected. I didn't realize that at the time. Luckily we made the port and the trip.

Others have said they keep in touch and know if the ship is having to skip the port and we have no responsibility to them if that happens. Often they don't even want to take a credit card deposit - since we will pay in cash.

Beth

Every private excursion I have booked in the Caribbean has always said that if the ship cannot make the port or otherwise...that they would refund any deposit I had put down.

I LOVE The Princess Bride! My husband and I are always talking about putting Iocaine powder in someone's food or drink.

Book using a credit card and they will reimburse you for goods not delivered.

No problem!

Despite what was said IMO it would very rare that an independent company did not give you a 100% refund if the ship misses the port. I always ask when I book if I pay a deposit or pay in advance. It is possible that a certain company might clearly states that they will not give you a refund if the ship misses the port and I would not book with them.

Naturally the cruise line will refund you.

In our experience EVERY private company we’ve used has noted that they will refund a payment or deposit if the ship does not make it to port. The few times we’ve had a port cancellation, all money paid was refunded. Private operators know that word of mouth and a quick internet post can ruin their business so they seem particularly easy to work with regarding ship cancellation refunds. On a recent trip to Roatan, the NCL ship could not tender, we were docked. The private tour we had scheduled actually had 10 NCL passengers and 4 from Celebrity. We were very surprised that the tour company took just the 4 of us on the excursion.

m

I'm wondering about what happens if you have a shore excursion booked and the itinerary for the ship changes? I'm thinking that with most places, if the itinerary change is in advance, you can just re-schedule or cancel if need be. But what happens if it is a last minute change due to weather or something? Has already been answered above.

If is it a ship excursion, will they refund it back to you? Has already been answered.[/COLOR]

I'm assuming if it is private excursion, that you're basically just out the money? Has been answered.

What happens if you get quarantined for noro or something? Will you be refunded if it is a ship excursion? Yes they will. But you need to be sure to notify the shore excursion desk ASAP and get it confirmed (You or your spouse/travel companion). If you are notifying them and the area is closed. Go to Guest Relations and get the name of the officer and ask that they handle the notification process to the head of the Shore Excursion Desk for you. This happened to me this past December. I had eaten something that was brought by room service that did not react well with me on Christmas morning, and by the time I got back to the ship after our wonderful private tour of St. Kitts, I was extremely ill. By our late seating dinner time, I managed to get dressed and went with DH to MRD, only to last all of 5 mins. before having to excuse myself from the table. Later on, after a visit by the ship's nurse, and an injection and oral medication, I was informed that I was now under 24 hour quarantine and was not allowed to leave the cabin. :( The next morning we were scheduled to be in Barbados and had an excursion booked for the day. DH asked that the nurse inform the Shore Excursion Desk of my/our situation and to cancel both of us from the trip. She said she would when the desk reopened. That was when DH went to Guest Relations and had them handle it. Long story short, trip cancelled and $$ refunded. I also received $$/credit towards a future cruise for the day I was confined to the cabin from Celebrity.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks everyone!

I LOVE The Princess Bride! My husband and I are always talking about putting Iocaine powder in someone's food or drink.

It's my favourite movie :D My fiance and I have matching coffee mugs that say "Get back witch!" "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!"

Archived