"Live" from the Noordam T. A. 2013

496and706

We were on the Noordam for the previous 11 day cruise prior to the TA. Sorry now that we did not stay on and get the additional cruise in. It would have been much better than coming back to the snow in Buffalo.

Everyone gasped on the plane when we broke through the clouds approaching the airport and saw the white blanket of snow covering the ground everywhere.

We were hoping to bring the warm weather back with us.

Say hello to Ben and Lynn with the HAL cats for us.

It was our first cruise with HAL and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Jim In Buffalo

We were on the Noordam for the previous 11 day cruise prior to the TA. Sorry now that we did not stay on and get the additional cruise in. It would have been much better than coming back to the snow in Buffalo.

Everyone gasped on the plane when we broke through the clouds approaching the airport and saw the white blanket of snow covering the ground everywhere.

We were hoping to bring the warm weather back with us.

Say hello to Ben and Lynn with the HAL cats for us.

It was our first cruise with HAL and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Jim In Buffalo

Don't you know it's against Buffalo Rules to go anywhere in March? You'll end up in the CPEP unit in ECMC when you get back. I don't go anywhere in March now because I can't handle coming back!

PS: made up that rule after coming back from Westerdam last year.

PPS: I am perfectly suited for bathrobe bingo right now

What day is it...

Tuesday night, possibly...

We had a time change in the middle of the afternoon. Suddenly 2 p.m. was 3 p.m.

For anyone paying attention to the weather, we are ahead of the hurricane. The Captain has changed our course slightly south again.

We had a marvelous Mariner brunch. Warm salmon salad, followed by quiche. (for me, Mike had the Basa filet.)

We are having a great time. We're on the Noordam, so of course we are having a great time...

Discovered the room off of the Crow's Nest with the pipes and cigar boxes. If you stay in there and breath deeply enough, you can almost imagine the smell of cigars. Almost. No cigarette smell anywhere. No other smells anywhere. Not a lot of perfume other than in the shop, but that's to be expected.

Nobody has snorkeled in any of the pools yet. :eek:

Time for the spa! (Nobody has snorkeled in there either!)

Candy and Sheila~Mark says hello back and Candy, I owe you a hug from Mark.

Tonight is a formal night. There was a gentleman that went past me in a kilt. There were also numerous men in tuxedos. Later tonight is the Black and White Ball.

Tomorrow morning they are offering Dutch pea soup on the Promenade deck at 10 a.m. Mike loves pea soup, but we have been sleeping in every day, so he'll have to set the alarm clock if he really wants it.

We will also be setting our clocks ahead at 2 p.m. again.

I have been going to the 4:30 update of the navigational chart for the past few days. Today we were told that we had 3 meter (9 foot) waves and to expect 5 meter (15 foot) waves starting at around 4 p.m. on Thursday as we will be turning northwards and the seas to the north of us have been rougher due to the storm about 600 miles behind us to the north west.

I must be getting used to being on a ship because so far I haven't had a single touch of any sickness at all on this cruise. Plus our cabin stewarts (stewards?) have been the absolute best ever. So much better than on the last cruise. Everything that should be in the cabin is in the cabin and they are always smiling and friendly.

Whomever it was that said to put the cheese on the plate under the nachos... thank you it's a great tip.

Mike and I slept until almost 11:30 this morning. He told me we had missed breakfast. I told him lunch was starting in 5 minutes. There is always food on this ship. Even potato chips.

There are a lot of people walking through the library area tonight in all their formal wear. I guess they are doing what Mike and I are doing... waiting for the Ball to begin.

Love your live posts. I am so glad you are doing the ball - can't wait to hear what you thought about that.

Good all is well -it nearly sounds like you could be having fun.

enjoy and thanks so much for taking us along. From the wave to the cruise - pretty nice:)

In between all the sleeping, we are having a great time.

We did a Black and White Ball on the westbound transatlantic that we did a few years ago. It's so nice to see all of the officers all dressed up and (hopefully) enjoying themselves.

Captain Robert-Yan Kan is so nice. I've seen him a lot on this cruise. Always smiling and saying hello. Even when he is walking and talking with officers or crew or other passengers.

What day is it...

Tuesday night, possibly...

We had a time change in the middle of the afternoon. Suddenly 2 p.m. was 3 p.m.

For anyone paying attention to the weather, we are ahead of the hurricane. The Captain has changed our course slightly south again.

We had a marvelous Mariner brunch. Warm salmon salad, followed by quiche. (for me, Mike had the Basa filet.)

We are having a great time. We're on the Noordam, so of course we are having a great time...

Discovered the room off of the Crow's Nest with the pipes and cigar boxes. If you stay in there and breath deeply enough, you can almost imagine the smell of cigars. Almost. No cigarette smell anywhere. No other smells anywhere. Not a lot of perfume other than in the shop, but that's to be expected.

Nobody has snorkeled in any of the pools yet. :eek:

Time for the spa! (Nobody has snorkeled in there either!)

Candy and Sheila~Mark says hello back and Candy, I owe you a hug from Mark.

No snorklers:eek: Well, you'll just have to rectify that, won't you (did you pack your flippers?)

Loving your reports, wishing I was there:(

As noted in my other post, due to rough seas, we are going to Lisbon and skipping Ponta Delgada. We have been offered a free glass of champagne as well as the return of fees and port taxes. I would rather be safe and get to Lisbon without anyone getting hurt.

As far as that Ball last night... Ice sculpture "140" at the door, black and white balloons everywhere, with a balloon drop during the first dance. The captain dances very nicely and hung around for a few faster dances after the prizes were given away. (First Mate had first prize)

Mike and I had a great time.

Captain made at least 3 announcements today regarding safety before he finally announced we were not going north into the rougher waters. We are near Madiera (Funchal) and this afternoon is the first time that the sun came out since we left Ft. L.

It isn't ruining my cruise. I'm going to get a gold medal for sleeping!

The food has been great, and the ship is clean and beautiful and I'm loving every minute of it.

Tonight is the Indonesian Crew Show. I'm going after I hit the spa.

I am glad I found this blog since it is the only way I can find out how the trip on the Noordam has been. My girlfriend is on the ship with her young daughter and her parents. Her daughter is 6 and has very curly blonde/brown hair. If you happen to see them swimming or something, please tell the young girl's mother Erin, that "Michael says hello and he misses you" and please email him (her phone is doesn't have the international set-up) I am sorry to hear that the sun has not been cooperating with the trip, but it sound like fun anyway. When are you now supposed to arrive in Lisbon? Enjoy your trip and thanks for having this blog. Michael B.

496and706, can you please do me a big favour? Can you ask one of the officers 'in the know', when Noordam will have the cabanas installed on Deck 11? I'm not sure if it will be this year or next.

Thank you so much and enjoy reading your live thread.

Can you ask one of the officers 'in the know', when Noordam will have the cabanas installed on Deck 11? I'm not sure if it will be this year or next.
The deck plans which are "Effective after May 6, 2013" show the 25 new cabins on deck 10 and the Retreat on top of them, and the OP already said the new cabins would be added this year. I suppose they could install just the cabins and not the cabanas initially, but I doubt that.

Despite challenging conditions you are holding up very well. I expect challenging conditions as well, except I will not miss any ports (we have no ports), and I hope I take it as well as you have. Continue to enjoy!

Roy

Hi 496and706,

I posted a message meant for you but should have replied to your post instead. If you do happen to run into my girlfriend Erin with her daughter(who has long curly blondish/brown hair) and her parents, please give them a message that Michael misses her and he asks that you email him. Thank you in Advance!

By the way has the itinerary changes now that you are heading straight to Lisbon?

I wrote up a huge update about the 140th anniversary bash earlier today and it didn't go through...

They had a cake that was 140 feet long!! :eek:

Every 12 inches or so, there was a marzipan square with writing the said "Captain's Log" and then a ship name and date underneath. Very humourous because it was a "log" cake. (Tubular and about 6 inches wide)

The Captain gave a marvelous speech, there were 4 massive signs saying Happy 140th Birthday in English, Dutch, Indonesian and Polynesian.

Mike and I are having a marvelous time. (Me and Mike) :D:D

A bit more news (from someone that really knows what he is talking about) The Ocean Bar is a goner and will be replaced with a Mirabella Store. (Is that the name of the high end store on the Zuiderdam?)

The weather today was perfect. 19 Celcius outside. The was a curiously bright yellow sphere (orb) in a sky whose only colour could be described as either azure or turquoise. :eek: What was that?

The 2 pools on the Lido were closed until this morning because of the sea conditions. But the therapy pool had a built in wave feature a couple of nights ago and the heated loungers could have been re-named heated rocking chairs. It was a blast!

Food has been great. Room is spotless. We're sailing along nicely. :D

...A bit more news (from someone that really knows what he is talking about) The Ocean Bar is a goner and will be replaced with a Mirabella Store. (Is that the name of the high end store on the Zuiderdam?)...:D

WHAT ??? How intoxicated was that know-it-all person to utter such an absurd thing? icon6.gif

A bit more news (from someone that really knows what he is talking about) The Ocean Bar is a goner and will be replaced with a Mirabella Store.

WHAT ??? How intoxicated was that know-it-all person to utter such an absurd thing? icon6.gif
The deck plans "Effective after May 6, 2013" show no changes to decks 2 or 3. No Merabella, and the Ocean Bar still intact. If that change is coming, it appears it won't be in the April dry-dock.

deck 2.PDF

deck 3.PDF

Michael I got your request. There are a lot of girls under the age of 20 on board. If I can find them, I will relay your message.

You are the best! I really appreciate whatever you can do. Erin is in her 40s and daughter is 6 very curly hair that really stands out. I am glad the weather is nice for everyone. Is Monday at 8:00AM still the arrival time in Lisbon?

Have a wonderful trip!

Michael B

Thanks for taking us along with you. interesting to hear about the 140th anniversary celebration too. I know some were curious.

enjoying your live posts. enjoy your cruise:)

snip... A bit more news (from someone that really knows what he is talking about) The Ocean Bar is a goner and will be replaced with a Mirabella Store. (Is that the name of the high end store on the Zuiderdam?)
Originally Posted by taxmantoo

WHAT ??? How intoxicated was that know-it-all person to utter such an absurd thing? icon6.gifThe deck plans "Effective after May 6, 2013" show no changes to decks 2 or 3. No Merabella, and the Ocean Bar still intact. If that change is coming, it appears it won't be in the April dry-dock.

I was told:

Part of the Ocean Bar lounge area on the starboard side will become the Merabella, but it won't affect the bar. We're also increasing the size of the stage as we went back to a 7 pc band format there, which is wildly popular and has really brought life back into that area, but they need more room to perform.

Apparently these changes have been gradual and the changes haven't yet made it to the revised deck plans.

Kathy, please tell us what special events you'll have today and tomorrow.

Candy <-- cruising vicariously through Kathy

Please sit down for dry dock update news from my favourite ship.

All of the carpeting on Promenade deck (inside) is being replaced.

At least 30 cabins on 10.

Retreat cabanas on 11.

Canopy of Therapy pool is going, in favour of new cabins on 10.

Reno to ceiling of T Pool, because glass canopy is going. (Along with that red tent above pool)

All furniture from Prom. deck is going down to crew area. All new furniture coming.

Mirabella replacing the Ocean Bar.

A lot of crew are being sent home or going to other ships. Lots of new crew coming on after Dry Dock.

Lots of new machinery and equipment.

Everyone remaining on board will be getting paid, no matter what they have been telling passengers.

Lowest monthly pay on board is not $500/month, no matter what they have been telling passengers.

This is all from someone that works on the bridge. Not the Captain. Someone with stripes. It isn't Shane or Mark.

Archived