Looking for Cold Weather Cruises???

twinkle toes

My husband asked me a question yesterday that I didn't know the answer to, but figured many of you would, so here it is. Are there any cruises out there that travel to places that aren't beach weather other than Alaska? He was figuring there must be itineraries out there that travel to places where it may snow, but the water isn't frozen, so cruise ships can get in and out. I haven't heard of any, but I have limited knowledge of cruises that don't originate or end in the continental US.

My husband asked me a question yesterday that I didn't know the answer to, but figured many of you would, so here it is. Are there any cruises out there that travel to places that aren't beach weather other than Alaska? He was figuring there must be itineraries out there that travel to places where it may snow, but the water isn't frozen, so cruise ships can get in and out. I haven't heard of any, but I have limited knowledge of cruises that don't originate or end in the continental US.

Quebec in October for the 12 day repo to Ft Lauderdale is a great cruise.

It snowed in Quebec for the overnight a couple of years ago. :eek:

Depending on the weather -- the Baltics cruise can be on the chilly side. Even in good weather (and we hit 80 in Oslo in 2009) no one would mistake it for a Caribbean cruise :). We're doing the British Isles cruise in August and it looks like the highs in most ports are in the 60s but I'm sure that can vary too, just like Alaska (we got sunburned in Ketchikan last July and were totally overdressed).

Just so happens I was looking at one of those truly fascinating itineraries just the other day, strictly dreaming of course..

From Princess website(copy/paste):

Land of the Midnight Sun - 16 days

Ocean Princess

Roundtrip from London (Dover), England

Ports: London (Dover), England | Flaam, Norway | Tromso, Norway | Magdalena Fjord, Spitsbergen (Scenic Cruising) | Ny Alesund, Spitsbergen | Honningsvag (North Cape), Norway | Kirkenes, Norway | Gravdal (Lofoten Islands), Norway | Hellesylt, Norway | Geiranger, Norway | Bergen, Norway | London (Dover), England

There are quite a few cold weather cruises. I've taken them in the Baltics, above the Arctic Circle, around South America, Antarctica, etc. My upcoming cruise from Beijing to Whittier will undoubtedly have a number of cool/cold days. Likewise the T/A I did a few years ago from Southampton to NY and my T/A booked on the Royal in 2014. I've packed for many two or three season cruises.

Definitely try Norwegian fjords. Princess now seems to have several itineraries.

I liked the one that went to the Arctic Circle, Sognefjord, Geirangerfjord, Bergen, Trondheim, and Tromso. (Not necessarily in that order, but those are the ports that come to mind.)

Any of the Norway cruises would be great.

Enjoy.

Oh! PS - Back in those days, my Icelandair flight stopped off in Iceland.

There was freezing cold freezing rain, with stinging little ice pellets, in July!

PSS - I just visited the summit of Mauna Kea, Big Island, Hawaii. The ground was covered with snow up there! Real Hawaiians were up there with pickup trucks, loading up on snow, to take to their homes to make snowmen! I kid you not! Aloha and mahalo :)

Definitely try Norwegian fjords. Princess now seems to have several itineraries.

I liked the one that went to the Arctic Circle' date=' Sognefjord, Geirangerfjord, Bergen, Trondheim, and Tromso. (Not necessarily in that order, but those are the ports that come to mind.)

Any of the Norway cruises would be great.

Enjoy.

Oh! PS - Back in those days, my Icelandair flight stopped off in Iceland.

There was freezing cold freezing rain, with stinging little ice pellets, in July!

PSS - I just visited the summit of Mauna Kea, Big Island, Hawaii. The ground was covered with snow up there! Real Hawaiians were up there with pickup trucks, loading up on snow, to take to their homes to make snowmen! I kid you not! Aloha and mahalo :)[/quote']

That last paragraph reminds me of a common complaint about the Hawaiian cruises out of LA. Even though it rarely snows in the metro part of LA, from time to time we might get a little dusting during the winter time (okay, maybe every ten years and only until it melts:D). When we were on our way to San Pedro in December, we could see the snow on the mountains to the east. A couple of years before, when we were still on our cruise, we found out that it snowed on Princess HQs in Santa Clarita (and may have snowed just a mile away from where we lived). During the last few years, Malibu by the coast got some snow. So people who come here expecting sunny weather all the time, even in winter, may get a surprise as we do get rain in the winter and overcast skies in the mornings between March and mid-June.

And the tallest mountains in Hawaii do get snow.

Quebec in October for the 12 day repo to Ft Lauderdale is a great cruise.

It snowed in Quebec for the overnight a couple of years ago. :eek:

I can verify this statement. It seemed like white out conditions for awhile.

The New England/Canada cruise in the fall are generally pretty chilly. I've been in August, twice, and once it was cool enough for a jacket or shawl. I'm going in October this year and expect it to be very cool, if not cold. This isn't a cruise where you plan beach days, regardless of when you go.

I really wanted to do the repo from Southhampton,via Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland and several other stops, but I didn't have the time this year. Now that one would be very chilly.

First photo reminds me of Vladivostok. ??

100% correct.

There was a heat wave that day. In the morning the temp was about 26F and in the afternoon about 35F.

I had been checking the weather there the weeks before the cruise and the high for many days was below 0F.

That last paragraph reminds me of a common complaint about the Hawaiian cruises out of LA. Even though it rarely snows in the metro part of LA' date=' from time to time we might get a little dusting during the winter time (okay, maybe every ten years and only until it melts:D). When we were on our way to San Pedro in December, we could see the snow on the mountains to the east. A couple of years before, when we were still on our cruise, we found out that it snowed on Princess HQs in Santa Clarita (and may have snowed just a mile away from where we lived). During the last few years, Malibu by the coast got some snow. So people who come here expecting sunny weather all the time, even in winter, may get a surprise as we do get rain in the winter and overcast skies in the mornings between March and mid-June.

And the tallest mountains in Hawaii do get snow.[/quote']

Thanks for the story about snow at Princess HQ! Fantastic:)

I did the last Canada/New England cruise of the season in October before the ship's repo down to Florida. It was pretty chilly pretty much the whole time, particularly in Gaspésie, Quebec, but no snow like in some of the above posted itineraries. I think the coldest it got was hovering right around freezing. The weather was very mild/decent for that time of year though. It was a great cruise and very affordable, but be careful as if you go that late you may be hitting certain ports after tour season is over and thus missing out on a few experiences.

I'm also just about to head out on a California coastal and while the weather will certainly be a nice break from snowy NY, it won't be beach weather either.

Just so happens I was looking at one of those truly fascinating itineraries just the other day, strictly dreaming of course..

From Princess website(copy/paste):

Land of the Midnight Sun - 16 days

Ocean Princess

Roundtrip from London (Dover), England

Ports: London (Dover), England | Flaam, Norway | Tromso, Norway | Magdalena Fjord, Spitsbergen (Scenic Cruising) | Ny Alesund, Spitsbergen | Honningsvag (North Cape), Norway | Kirkenes, Norway | Gravdal (Lofoten Islands), Norway | Hellesylt, Norway | Geiranger, Norway | Bergen, Norway | London (Dover), England

We just booked this one! C'mon! Go with us!:D

Archived