Airline Starts Charging Passengers by the Pound

Jancruz

This is a good reason for us all to diet..LOL this is a Samoan airline..they weigh you and your baggage together..watch for the all of American Airlines to start this to make MORE money..

Jancruz1

Samoa doesn't have an airline...they are served once a week by Hawaiian

For you" breaking bad fans", Did you ever notice Saul; his law degree was from University Of Samoa:rolleyes:

NO SAMOA WRESTLERS that's SUMO and Japan

True or not (in terms of already being fact), there HAS been talk about this!

Many years ago I was on a charter flight to Europe for an opera program. Passengers included sopranos, tenors, etc., violins, violas, etc., plus orchestra members. While they didn't weigh us, they did ask for our weights.

I wonder how many of the singers told the truth ... I sure didn't!

Mura

for you non believers it was on the AOL news..

The Sydney Morning Herald explains that passengers on Samoa Air, a small regional airline serving the Samoan islands in the South Pacific, are asked to punch in their body weight and the weight of their luggage when booking. Rates range from $1 (Australian) per kilogram on short flights to $4.16 per kilogram on longer ones between Samoa and American Samoa. Passengers and their luggage are weighed again when they get to the airport to make sure they weren't fibbing.

Jancruz1

Samoa doesn't have an airline...they are served once a week by Hawaiian

For you" breaking bad fans", Did you ever notice Saul; his law degree was from University Of Samoa:rolleyes:

NO SAMOA WRESTLERS that's SUMO and Japan

http://samoaair.ws/

Better tell the WWF there are NO Samoa wrestlers

Sumo wrestling is a different sport

If airlines want to charge by weight, then those paying higher fees deserve larger seats.

It seems like airlines already have a problem with extra plus sized people. Some airlines require the person to purchase two seats. The problem that made the news that stemmed from this was that a person paid the extra seat surcharge - however the seats weren't next to each other:rolleyes:

The airline in question decided not to move ahead with this plan.

Thank Goodness..I was already starting to diet in anticipation..now I can still have my chocolate..Thanks for the update

Jancruz1

It seems like airlines already have a problem with extra plus sized people. Some airlines require the person to purchase two seats. The problem that made the news that stemmed from this was that a person paid the extra seat surcharge - however the seats weren't next to each other:rolleyes:

I don't know what the answer is but what about the people who pay for one whole seat yet, once on board, are left with half a seat because the person next to them is so large he/she requires one and half seats = not so funny.

I was seated behind a lady who spent the whole trip leaning over the side of her seat because the rather large person next to her raised the seat rest between the seats (as he could not get into his own seat) and then spent the whole trip on one and half seats!! I felt relieved for the lady in front that it was only a three hour trip. Unfortunately for her it was a full plane so she could not be moved.

In these cases - do skinny people get a discount for only taking up half a seat ??? I think not!! If you pay for a seat that is what you should get!

I was seated behind a lady who spent the whole trip leaning over the side of her seat because the rather large person next to her raised the seat rest between the seats (as he could not get into his own seat) and then spent the whole trip on one and half seats!! I felt relieved for the lady in front that it was only a three hour trip. Unfortunately for her it was a full plane so she could not be moved.

I had the same issue only I had 2 fluffy people in a row for 3

I thank goodness had the isle seat

They were bumped from Exec class but they should have had the whole row to themselves

I shutter to think if I would have survived the 5 hr flight in the window seat:eek:

If you cannot sit in the seat with the armrests down then you should pay for the extra seat ..I think SW has this policy

My cousin who was a fluffy person always paid for 2 seat one she would get 1/2 price but never the less she paid extra

I always wondered what people do when faced with this issue. When you are squished by someone taking up more than one seat. Ask if there are any extra seats somewhere else?

Not a frequent flyer myself but admit to being a little anxious about someone leaning on me through a flght or not being able to put the arm rest down.

I always wondered what people do when faced with this issue. When you are squished by someone taking up more than one seat. Ask if there are any extra seats somewhere else?

Not a frequent flyer myself but admit to being a little anxious about someone leaning on me through a flght or not being able to put the arm rest down.

The problem for the airlines is how do they know who will need more than one seat (or a larger seat) if the person does not admit to this when booking.

Once on a plane the concerns associated with people being squashed into part of their seat is left for the cabin crew to sort out - if they can.

It is a really tricky problem and one which really needs an universal solution so flying becomes fair for all - particularly on long-haul flights where being constricted and squashed into a seat for hours cannot be good for ones health.

2kiwis,

Very tricky for the airlines, yes and especially for health reasons. Don't know what the solution is. And the seats are relatively small with tiny knee room.

I've heard from people that it was really difficult to get in and out of seats to move around to avoid blood clots and leg cramps.

I had the window seat in a flight from LA to Hawaii.

A very large gentlemen came and sat next to me in the middle seat. It was very obvious that he was far too large for his seat.

As he struggled to get in he lifted the arm rest between our seats. I told him I preferred it be down. He said that he had no choice but to raise it.

When he sat down he "spilled" out of his seat and basically into about 2/3 of mine. He apologized again and again. After about one hr I called the stewardess and as gently as possible, told her I felt terribly crowded. I asked that I be moved. There was no other seats open and she tried to force the poor man to lower the armrest. He tried and was unable to lower it past 1/2 way and was obviously in pain. I felt terrible!

The man in the aisle seat eventually offered to trade places with the large passenger. The stewards were unable to get the beverage cart past to serve beverages.

I think the ticket agents boarding the plane should handle these situations and request the person buy a 2nd seat, or re-seat them next to an empty seat.

I had the window seat in a flight from LA to Hawaii.

A very large gentlemen came and sat next to me in the middle seat. It was very obvious that he was far too large for his seat.

As he struggled to get in he lifted the arm rest between our seats. I told him I preferred it be down. He said that he had no choice but to raise it.

When he sat down he "spilled" out of his seat and basically into about 2/3 of mine. He apologized again and again. After about one hr I called the stewardess and as gently as possible, told her I felt terribly crowded. I asked that I be moved. There was no other seats open and she tried to force the poor man to lower the armrest. He tried and was unable to lower it past 1/2 way and was obviously in pain. I felt terrible!

The man in the aisle seat eventually offered to trade places with the large passenger. The stewards were unable to get the beverage cart past to serve beverages.

I think the ticket agents boarding the plane should handle these situations and request the person buy a 2nd seat, or re-seat them next to an empty seat.

Surely this gentleman should have booked two seats - he must have known he could not fit into one seat and therefore it was his responsibility to make sure he did not impinge on others.

I agree with you that this should have been handles earlier at check-in as it should not be your problem. I often think the airlines don't want to be bothered with the aggravation so do nothing and leave it up to the cabin crew to sort out.

I think it is time people had to answer a simple questionnaire when booking their flights. Why can’t airlines specify the size of their seats and ask people to confirm they can sit within this. If not they should be advised they need to book an extra seat or larger seat if these are available??

Large people should book Business or 1st Class seats. My husband is 6'4" and about 260 lbs. He will not fly unless we are seated in the front of the plane because he is too uncomfortable in coach. I realize that it is much more expensive, but we consider it to be the cost of air travel. If you cannot afford a seat that will accomodate your body, find alternate transportation or stay home.

several airline now sell a row of 3 seats for 2 people not sure what the cost is but it would probably be less than business class if you cannot afford that

Most airline have the seat dimensions somewhere on their website & if you have NEVER flown before the seat size my be a surprise but most people who have flown before know they are not roomy in economy

I am not big by any means but I just fit in some of the seats

There has to be some way for the airlines to work with people that are not going to fit in one seat

several airline now sell a row of 3 seats for 2 people not sure what the cost is but it would probably be less than business class if you cannot afford that

Most airline have the seat dimensions somewhere on their website & if you have NEVER flown before the seat size my be a surprise but most people who have flown before know they are not roomy in economy

I am not big by any means but I just fit in some of the seats

There has to be some way for the airlines to work with people that are not going to fit in one seat

Let's face it, this is becoming more of a problem as the size of the average person increases and many people are not be able to afford business class.

Maybe there will need to be two categories of economy seating and these can be charged accordingly.

But this (and buying 3 seats for two people) only works if the larger person is prepared to admit that he/she requires a bigger seat.

I guess that in our "politically correct" society it is very difficult for airlines to police this issue, and it is easier to just let it go and listen to the complaints from those who book and pay for a seat and end up with only half a seat.

It is possibly only going to be resolved when after a long haul flight someone squashed into part of their seat takes seriously ill as a result, and then something will have to be done.

Archived