Boxed wine

chris2597

When we sailed the Golden out of Long Beach in Nov we took 2 boxes of wine no problem--The Pride in Balto in Feb--They took the box of wine....So I would say take the little boxes that are the same as a bottle not the 3 lt ones or you may not see it until the end of the cruise. They are really cracking down on bring wine on board.

When we sailed the Golden out of Long Beach in Nov we took 2 boxes of wine no problem--The Pride in Balto in Feb--They took the box of wine....So I would say take the little boxes that are the same as a bottle not the 3 lt ones or you may not see it until the end of the cruise. They are really cracking down on bring wine on board.

The Pride being either a Carnival or NCL ship, does not make comparison with Princess. In November there was no problem with the Golden. Things have changed.

Oh my point being that the Carnival family is cracking down on all the family. members.. the Pride also a family member on the Carnival line. Which we have also take box on of wine on feb 12 with no probloems.

The Pride is not a CCL ship. The Pride belongs to NCL.

Renee

Oh my point being that the Carnival family is cracking down on all the family.

Different Carnival Corporation cruise lines have their own policies & procedures so what's done on one isn't necessarily done on the other CCL brands. The wine policy changes make Princess more like other cruise lines including those not under the CCL umbrella.

We were planning on bringing a boxed wine to consume in our cabin. Is the boxed wine allowed
In the past, this was not a problem. When they start enforcing the new policy, boxes larger than 750ml would appear to not be allowed. They might? make an exception and charge a corkage of $15/750ml but who knows. That would add $60 to a 3.0L box and $105 to a 5.0L box.

How long does it take to get your luggage now if they are screening/opening all of my carefully packed suitcases??
I think finding out the time required was one of the reasons for the "Trail Run" on the Golden last month. To prevent hassles with your bags, don't put anything that looks like a bottle of alcohol in your checked bags and bring all of your wine in your carry on bags. Don't know how they will handle the old practice of putting a luggage tag on a case of wine. They will need to collect the corkage for most, if not all, of those bottles but that is not an attempt to smuggle and should not require a trip to the "naughty room".

How long does it take to get your luggage now if they are screening/opening all of my carefully packed suitcases??

I don't think they open your "carefully packed" bags. If they suspect there is contraband in one, it will go to the naughty room and you will be invited to come down and open it.

I don't think they open your "carefully packed" bags. If they suspect there is contraband in one, it will go to the naughty room and you will be invited to come down and open it.
From the current Passage Contract:

"At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend a secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded."

It would appear if you pass the first screening your bag will be delivered as normal but, if you try to smuggle, the bag will undergo a second hand inspection or, if locked, you get to come down to the "naughty room". It is unclear from the posts about the Trial Run on the Golden if Princess opened any bags or if they had everyone who owned a bag suspected to contain alcohol had to come down to the "naughty room" to open their bag(s) for inspection.

The question I have is where in the boarding sequence do they check for wine in your carryons and how does this affect the boarding process for people who are not carrying wine?

They usually check your carry on just before you get to the embarkation stage, just after customs. All your carry on goes through a scanner and if they discover wine, they usher you to the side and ask what you have in your bag. That way, the people who do not have wine are not held up.....they just walk straight on the ship.

The question I have is where in the boarding sequence do they check for wine in your carryons and how does this affect the boarding process for people who are not carrying wine?
They usually check your carry on just before you get to the embarkation stage, just after customs. All your carry on goes through a scanner and if they discover wine, they usher you to the side and ask what you have in your bag. That way, the people who do not have wine are not held up.....they just walk straight on the ship.
Since, as far as we know, Princess has only done one trial of the new policy enforcement and that was in San Pedro, I believe the correct answer is we don't know. Fletch1's answer in not based upon Princess practice unless that is the practice in Australia. The inspection will probably be at the security scanners but the vary by embarkation port. At San Pedro you go through the entire check-in process before you go through the scanners while in Port Everglades you go through the scanners as soon as you enter the building before anything else. In either case that is before the boarding waiting area.

I would think if people self declare they would move to the side before or after the scanner and pay the corkage with little effect on the line. The disruption would come with those trying to "smuggle" without declaring. That would probably slow down the process.

Princess used to scan bags as you boarded but now at most embarkation ports the scanners are well before the actual boarding and boarding should not be impacted.

I think that rather than trying to board boxed wine which will be iffy, it would make more sense to find a bottled wine that you like and take a bunch of bottles instead.

We really like Viñas Chilenas Reserva Merlot every bit as much as we like the Columbia Crest Grand Reserve Merlot. You can buy the Vinas Chilenas at Trader Joe's for $3.49 per bottle plus a $15 corkage fee for a total of $18.49, compared, for to the Columbia Crest Grand Reserve Merlot which will cost $35.65 on the ship, including the tip. Of course, there is the process of boarding the wine to take into consideration, but if that is not a problem, it's sort of a no-brainer.

I am wondering if Princes repeated their new wine policy implementation on the Golden sailing this past Wednesday as we have heard no feedback.

RE: Trader Joe's. We will be in LA one day prior to boarding the Coral next Saturday and staying near a Trader Joe's. Would like to purchase our two bottles for carrying on board, but would also like to buy those with screw on caps rather than corks. Trying to avoid carrying a corkscrew for only 14 days. Do any of you knowledgeable people know of a Pinot or Sauv. Blanc that I should look for?

RE: Trader Joe's. We will be in LA one day prior to boarding the Coral next Saturday and staying near a Trader Joe's. Would like to purchase our two bottles for carrying on board, but would also like to buy those with screw on caps rather than corks. Trying to avoid carrying a corkscrew for only 14 days. Do any of you knowledgeable people know of a Pinot or Sauv. Blanc that I should look for?

I was looking at this just last night. Go to wine.com, and you can sort for screw caps (they're called Stelvan caps) and by type of wine.

I was looking at this just last night. Go to wine.com, and you can sort for screw caps (they're called Stelvan caps) and by type of wine.

Thanks. Poked around. Couldn't find. Will just play it by ear without specific recommendation.

Why not just get a little travel corkscrew and keep in in your luggage. We have a bunch of them. You can get them anywhere and they will often just let you have them from your hotel room. Even with my arthritis I can handle them.

Hi Pia, I would recommend Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc from TJ.

Amy

Archived