Sailing from Boston . . .

Linda&Vern

We can't believe what has happened in our beautiful city any more than anyone can.

But where in the world are you sure you are safe?.

I recall a true story of a family who were sick and tired of crime and the general horrors society offered. He wanted a place untouched by violence. After much research, he found such a place. Moved the whole family to these remote, faraway islands....few years later, they were engulfed in war. He had moved to the Falkland Islands :(

Children .....always suffer the most....whether the victim of a terrorist's bomb or bombed from above in the name of greed and oil....yes it is quite the world we are leaving them....they will in one way or another pay the greatest price.

Years ago in the 70's I lived in a city that was routinely bombed by the IRA over a period of several months. It was a tourist stop for tours of the UK. At least we knew who the enemy was, however, but it didn't stop life as usual. Tourists still came because the security was stepped up hugely.

Just wait and see - and just like after 9-11 flying into and out of Boston will likely be one of the safest things you can do:) because of the extra security.

The London Marathon is this coming weekend. The organisers have just announced that they won't be cancelling. I applaud them for this.

The UK security services have one heck of a busy week with Margaret Thatcher's funeral procession through London on Wednesday and the London Marathon on Sunday. I can't imagine how busy they are right now reviewing their plans.

I have no doubt that Londoners will make us all proud by turning out in their thousands. We cannot let the fear stop us living our lives.

I'm happy to hear London Marathon will go off as planned. None of us doubt Londoners will turn out in large numbers to cheer on the runners.

Let's just pray it all goes off safely.

The London Marathon is this coming weekend. The organisers have just announced that they won't be cancelling. I applaud them for this.

The UK security services have one heck of a busy week with Margaret Thatcher's funeral procession through London on Wednesday and the London Marathon on Sunday. I can't imagine how busy they are right now reviewing their plans.

I have no doubt that Londoners will make us all proud by turning out in their thousands. We cannot let the fear stop us living our lives.

That is awesome...cowering in defeat is not an option. That's what these terrorists want to have happen.

From the Boston area, and my mother, father, sister and brother are all sailing out of BOS on May 4th.

Good!!!! They are sure to have a wonderful time. It will be a little cool doing that itinerary so early in the season but it's a wonderful cruise. :) Tell them to bring appropriate layers of clothing to stay comfortable.

Good!!!! They are sure to have a wonderful time. It will be a little cool doing that itinerary so early in the season but it's a wonderful cruise. :) Tell them to bring appropriate layers of clothing to stay comfortable.

Thanks Sail, they have done this many times and know the weather can be cool, but love cruising from home.

It should be noted that no one in authority has used the word "terrorsts" yet. But it natural to jump to that assumption. A terrorist is not necessarily someone from another country - there are home-grown terrorists too. It just boggles the mind what they hoped to achieve by this act.

I am not cruising out of Boston but will be there next month for my daughters graduation from Harvard. While I realize it is in Cambridge we will be touring in Boston for a week. The current horrible events will not change our plans. We can not let fear stop us from living. My heart goes out to those killed, injured and affected. I will never understand the reasoning of a person to kill or injure innocent people.

It should be noted that no one in authority has used the word "terrorsts" yet. But it natural to jump to that assumption. A terrorist is not necessarily someone from another country - there are home-grown terrorists too. It just boggles the mind what they hoped to achieve by this act.

By definition, a terrorist is one who inflicts terror on another person. If this isn't an act of terror, I don't know what is. Setting off bombs that kill two people and injur over 100 others :confused:

I recall a true story of a family who were sick and tired of crime and the general horrors society offered. He wanted a place untouched by violence. After much research, he found such a place. Moved the whole family to these remote, faraway islands....few years later, they were engulfed in war. He had moved to the Falkland Islands :(

And I know of a family who researched the perfect town in which to bring up their children and moved to Newton. Sadly, one of their children was among those that were killed. We live in a world that is sometimes very hard to understand.

I live in Boston and I work 1 block away from where these bombs exploded.. I will be back at my desk as soon as the police allow us to enter our building.. It will take more than this to break the city of Boston..

Kezzie

No disrespect to the OP but at times like this there are more important things than future cruise planning. Our thoughts and prayers for the victims and for the citizens of Boston. God Bless America.

Exactly my sentiments, Chief. At a time like this, with two deaths...one an 8 year old child...and 80-something injuries...it really saddens me to read that someone is concerned about future cruise plans. :(

I had my hand slapped by mods not too long ago for asking a question on CC that did not directly pertain to cruising. I was told "not allowed." That is why I did not trust that my "real question" might not get deleted and, therefore, phrased my question the way I did.

As Paul Harvey used to say - here is the rest of the story: I was on the other side of town when my DH called my cell to tell me what happened in Boston. My first thoughts were of one of our CC members who posts regularly and I very much value their cruise opinions. I did not finish my errands, but rather came home early. After turning on the TV my first thought was to get on CC and "find them." I checked, could not find any postings. Watched more TV, still no postings. I did not want to e:mail this poster as I figured their mail was overflowing by now.

DH and I have been talking about going to Boston and sailing one of the Canada/NE cruises. Bingo - I would ask the "will you cruise from Boston" question and see if there was a response. There was. That's all I wanted to know - that they were safe.

It saddens me :( that many of you thought I was really concerned about my future cruise plans. You do not know me at all.

Interestingly enough - someone else started another thread talking about what I really wanted to, and it wasn't deleted.

To those I've offended, I'm so very sorry. I'll take a few days off from here and wait to get my hand slapped again by the mods - which is what I should have done in the first place I guess.

I had my hand slapped by mods not too long ago for asking a question on CC that did not directly pertain to cruising. I was told "not allowed." That is why I did not trust that my "real question" might not get deleted and, therefore, phrased my question the way I did.

As Paul Harvey used to say - here is the rest of the story: I was on the other side of town when my DH called my cell to tell me what happened in Boston. My first thoughts were of one of our CC members who posts regularly and I very much value their cruise opinions. I did not finish my errands, but rather came home early. After turning on the TV my first thought was to get on CC and "find them." I checked, could not find any postings. Watched more TV, still no postings. I did not want to e:mail this poster as I figured their mail was overflowing by now.

DH and I have been talking about going to Boston and sailing one of the Canada/NE cruises. Bingo - I would ask the "will you cruise from Boston" question and see if there was a response. There was. That's all I wanted to know - that they were safe.

It saddens me :( that many of you thought I was really concerned about my future cruise plans. You do not know me at all.

Interestingly enough - someone else started another thread talking about what I really wanted to, and it wasn't deleted.

To those I've offended, I'm so very sorry. I'll take a few days off from here and wait to get my hand slapped again by the mods - which is what I should have done in the first place I guess.

This is a wonderful post and speaking only for myself (though I suspect many feel the same way), there is a lot of anxiety and stress right now and people are flailing. We all understand in times of stress we are not always as graceful as we'd like to be.

You did no harm, you meant the very best and there is nothing for you to regret IMO

Thank you for caring. There can never be anything wrong with caring about others. :)

Will you change or cancel any plans you had to sail out of Boston because of the events today? Now I'm not sure about the Canada/NE trip I was "thinking about" doing. Do I want to fly into Boston? Do I want to be at the Boston Port? Maybe it would be best for me to step away and "re-think" the decision next week?

This is what you asked: "Will you change or cancel any plans you had to sail out of Boston because of the events today?" What are we missing here?

This is what you asked: "Will you change or cancel any plans you had to sail out of Boston because of the events today?" What are we missing here?

I think Linda explained in her last post (Just above yours) that she worded it the way she did in order to make sure that at least one Bostonian that she cares deeply for was OK. I think she meant Sail, but not positive.

However it was worded is still fine by me. She cares about all of the people she knows and wanted to make sure they were ok without flooding their personal emails:)

JOanie

Linda&Vern....................

When I first read your thread, I scratched my head and thought "that's the exact type of reaction these low-life, bottom-crawling cowards that perpetrated this act in Boston today, would want".

After you clarified yourself twice, your question/interest in the welfare of another human being becomes very clear! All the best to you and stay safe!

Will you change or cancel any plans you had to sail out of Boston because of the events today? Now I'm not sure about the Canada/NE trip I was "thinking about" doing. Do I want to fly into Boston? Do I want to be at the Boston Port? Maybe it would be best for me to step away and "re-think" the decision next week?

We were scheduled to fly into Heathrow airport and spend 3 weeks on the trains in Great Britain, Amsterdam, and Paris a week after the London subway bombings and the car bomb at the Glascow airport in 2008.:mad:

Family and friends asked if we were sure we still wanted to go - our considered reply was that if we canceled then the terrorists won. We just couldn't live with that so we followed that oh so British saying "Keep calm and carry on"

Archived