No More Grilled Salmon or Tuna at Aqua Spa Cafe

Bobby Dee

We were on Reflection at the beginning of the month (April) and they did have the grilled salmon, you just had to order it from the attendant behind the counter. I often had it on salad. You can also order chicken I believe. I didn't know about the tuna. It did not take long to make.

You had to order it on other cruises too. It is not usually just offered.

I love that Cafe.

We were on Reflection at the beginning of the month (April) and they did have the grilled salmon, you just had to order it from the attendant behind the counter. I often had it on salad. You can also order chicken I believe. I didn't know about the tuna. It did not take long to make.

You had to order it on other cruises too. It is not usually just offered.

I love that Cafe.

This is great news. :D Now let's hope they keep it that way and don't try to change anything between now and next month! :eek:

I hope Host Andy can get some definitive answers for us. I too, would be very disappointed to find that one of my healthier lunch options was being discontinued. :(

My cynical side tells me that limiting the options in the free dining venues is a calculated move to push people toward the for-fee restaurants. It seems to fit the recent pattern of shifting the emphasis from service to sales. Welcome to the new X... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it appears that cruisers are getting less for more money now. Nearly every itinerary we have checked for 2014 has increased significantly. The primary two Europe and TA we are looking at are each at least $800 a room higher than 2013. This same increase is not seen on other lines we have decided to check and is specific to Celebrity.

Appears to me with this new info about Aqua Spa Cafe that it is just one more way to decrease different items, staff etc (fill in the blank) so that the new CEO can make more profits as he previously discussed. Cutting Grilled salmon and tuna are two cost saving moves

Actually, I don't find that cruise prices have gone up. If anything, prices on Celebrity are lower than they were. Our TA this year is $400 less per person than the one we were on 5 years ago, and this one is 2 more nights. Costs for food have gone up pretty dramatically in the past year or so, so I would expect to see an increase in pricing. In fact, I'd welcome it if it meant the food quality improved! JMHO :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently onboard Eclipse. I will inquire about this tomorrow, and report back. Stay Tuned !

Thanks, Andy. Hopefully you will have some good news!

Actually, I don't find that cruise prices have gone up. If anything, prices on Celebrity are lower than they were. Our TA this year is $400 less per person than the one we were on 5 years ago, and this one is 2 more nights. Costs for food have gone up pretty dramatically in the past year or so, so I would expect to see an increase in pricing. In fact, I'd welcome it if it meant the food quality improved! JMHO :)

On the Caribbean itineraries I'd say they are considerably higher than they were in previous years. I used to use the benchmark of $100/pp/pd for a balcony in the Caribbean, and for 2014 they were up around $140 and have not had any price reductions. 2015 is even a little higher than that, so I am really hoping they bring back 123GO, which is the reason I kept my 2014 bookings.

In 2010, we did the 11 night on Equinox, for example. The same cabin (C3) during the same week in 2014 is priced at $450 more pp. That's a pretty steep increase.

I am a vegetarian ( I eat fish) and so the poached tuna in the Aqua Spa Cafe was often the only protein alternative for lunch for me. Unfortunately, I found that almost everything in the Oceanview Cafe contained some kind of meat or seafood (which I also don't eat). There was always a vegetarian Indian curry and Dal which were delicious but after 3 or 4 days became pretty boring.

If Celebrity eliminates the tuna and salmon in the Aqua Spa I'm going to become a major pain in the neck for whoever the Maitre D' is in the Oceanview.

It's interesting that Celebrity touts Aqua Class (which we book) and Blu as "healthier" alternatives and now is thinking of limiting some of those healthier food options.

Bad idea!

It's interesting that Celebrity touts Aqua Class (which we book) and Blu as "healthier" alternatives and now is thinking of limiting some of those healthier food options.

Bad idea!

The aqua spa cafe has nothing to do with booking Aqua Class or Blu......

See MY post as I was not talking about THIS year. Next year TA is $400++ more pp than this year (for what we have looked at.) I have a complete list of last, this and next year's TA's. Cost in food does not = $400/$500 per person and other cruises have not all gone up to reflect that. Prices for European cruises have also gone up substantially........

Hi Everyone,

FYI, I checked with two Eclipse sources. Both confirmed the Grilled entrees are available on this sailing, and there's no plans to eliminate them. Hopefully, what's being reported on Reflection is a one off situation, and Celebrity will make the right decision, in favor of their guests.

We enjoy the grilled items very much, and hope they will continue to be offered at the Aqua Spa Cafe.

I hope this is helpful !

On reflection starting with April 13th cruise Aqua Spa Grill no longer grills Tuna, Chicken or Pork......Some days they have a grilled salmon but not available all the time. This is going FLEETWIDE.....I am told.

They were photographing it and putting it together the first day onboard....so expect to bid the grilling goodbye.....

Smoked salmon is available at the Elite breakfast AND was available today in several forms...Belly lox etc today at the "at sea brunch"

food is quite good in all outlets...but changes are rolling on down....

Happy sails to all.

Actually, I don't find that cruise prices have gone up. If anything, prices on Celebrity are lower than they were. Our TA this year is $400 less per person than the one we were on 5 years ago, and this one is 2 more nights.
It depends on the itinerary, and also varies by ship.

We find the prices for the Alaska cruises to be much higher now than they were a few years ago for equivalent accommodations.

Another vote here for keeping the Aqua Spa Cafe.

Smoked salmon is available at the Elite breakfast AND was available today in several forms...Belly lox etc today at the "at sea brunch"

Belly Lox is different than smoked salmon and not served on Celebrity ships. What you found at the "at sea brunch" was gravlox (which is excellent by the way...it just isn't belly lox).

We also really enjoy the grilled salmon as well as the chicken. Since the dining room is closed on port days, the Aqua Spa Café is our to go lunch place (as well as at other times during the week too.) The Aqua Spa Café is one of the primary reasons we were first attracted to try a Celebrity cruise.

I don't know why they think they need to experiment with a venue which is already quite successful.

Last week on Constellation grilled chicken, salmon, and tuna were available every day for lunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe. I had the tuna twice and it was my favorite entree of the whole cruise -- grilled medium rare as requested, spicy on the outside, pink on the inside, nice and moist. This is one of my favorite things about Celebrity. I hope they don't change it at all.

We just love the Tuna and salmon at the aqua spa for lunch - IF it is a question of demand, the Celebrity should look at the seating in this area which is always full - often with people not eating but playing cards, chatting etc. We would love to eat here everyday but have often given up waiting for a table...........

We just love the Tuna and salmon at the aqua spa for lunch - IF it is a question of demand, the Celebrity should look at the seating in this area which is always full - often with people not eating but playing cards, chatting etc. We would love to eat here everyday but have often given up waiting for a table...........

I agree, on our recent Reflection cruise it was always packed and while I don't begrudge the Mah Jong players they did seem to monoploize tables, but it is theri right. Perhaps another section could be reserved for them nearby. Being a Caribbean cruise the Solarium was pretty full on sea days. I love the Aqua Cafe, it is so convenient too to get a cold glass of water or coffee. I usually share my table with whoever wants to share. If there is no table available I take my plate to my lounge chair. My husband goes upstairs for his burgers, fries and hot dogs, so I just eat on my own. I don't believe that they will eliminate the cafe they would have a riot on their hands. :p

As I stated before, I spoke to one of the officers in the dining department and this is the first cruise that they are doing it and Reflection is the Pilot for seeing if it expanded fleet wide. I've vocally commented and also added the complaint on the comment card which we got today. Today last day out. But to tell the truth, I went over to the Oceanview Cafe where they serve grilled white fish at lunch each day, and it was quite delicious.

As I stated before, I spoke to one of the officers in the dining department and this is the first cruise that they are doing it and Reflection is the Pilot for seeing if it expanded fleet wide. I've vocally commented and also added the complaint on the comment card which we got today. Today last day out. But to tell the truth, I went over to the Oceanview Cafe where they serve grilled white fish at lunch each day, and it was quite delicious.

I love how they are referrin to this as a "pilot program" and are considering "expanding it fleet wide".....talk about spin!!!!!!!!

A pilot program to take something away???? I think it is called axing tuna or 86ing salmon....hardly and innovative new "pilot program"

Whitefish is less expensive than tuna or salmon (and I suspect that's what's behind eliminating them from the lunch menu at the Aqua Spa Cafe) but at least they've added a fish alternative to the Oceanview.

This is indeed sad news. The Aqua Spa Cafe... and the salmon... was the ship highlight of our 12-night Mediterranean cruise. Once we found this gem we were happy! In fact, it's one of the reasons we are returning to Celebrity after trying HAL.

Archived