Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

Wow. What a controversial statement!

The reason people post on these threads is to express their different opinions. That's what makes the world go round.

As for those that talk about cost, it comes to about $10 average per year per person. So if you cut back on 1-2 drinks on a cruise, you have it covered.

Simple

So if i cruise once a year for 10 years and cut back 1-2 drinks I'll be able to get a passport.:cool:

Bill

My son's girlfriend thought she was OK with flying in the day of the cruise...afterall, the cruise didn't leave until 4pm. Instead of arriving in Ft Lauderdale, the plane made an emergency landing in Orlando. Wouldn't let anyone off the plane until they found out if they could continue (they couldn't). The girlfriend called the cruiseline...basically they told her so sad, too bad - first port with an airport so you can catch up with the ship will be next Wednesday. Good thing she carries her passport (for those of you who always say "You don't need a passport on a closed loop cruise"

So for those that argue you don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise, how do you answer this poster from another thread?

Edited by LuckyZ

So for those that argue you don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise, how do you answer this poster from another thread?

It is worthy of noting that many insurance carriers will say two things if you try to make a claim for missing your cruise. One will be, did you try to meet up with the ship at the first port and the other will be.....You didn't travel to the ship because you didn't have a passport? Oh, so sorry. We do not pay a claim if the reason the traveler missed their cruise is because they did not have necessary travel documents.

You could not only miss your cruise but lose your money as well.

Edited by sail7seas

That is of course part of the risk one must consider in deciding whether to obtain a passport or not. That's why we drive to the port. And arrive the day before. (And yes, I know that others cannot do that but that is why it isn't a one size fits all decision.)

It is worthy of noting that many insurance carriers will say two things if you try to make a claim for missing your cruise. One will be, did you try to meet up with the ship at the first port and the other will be.....You didn't travel to the ship because you didn't have a passport? Oh, so sorry. We do not pay a claim if the reason the traveler missed their cruise is because they did not have necessary travel documents.

You could not only miss your cruise but lose your money as well.

Do you have any actual cases that show that is how the insurance company would rule? As I see it the traveler missed their cruise because of a flight delay in your example, not because they were denied boarding because they didn't have the proper documentation.

(How about same example except the traveler has a passport but can't catch up to the ship because they don't have the money for the flight (because travel insurance will only reimburse, they'll not pay for the flight up front)?

Drive, train, plane, bicycle......

there is always something that can delay your arrival.

The odds vary but Mr. Murphy has a habit of appearing at the most inopportune moments.

Peace of mind.

What is it worth to you?

Do you have any actual cases that show that is how the insurance company would rule? As I see it the traveler missed their cruise because of a flight delay in your example, not because they were denied boarding because they didn't have the proper documentation.

(How about same example except the traveler has a passport but can't catch up to the ship because they don't have the money for the flight (because travel insurance will only reimburse, they'll not pay for the flight up front)?

Read your individual policy or call and ask your insurer your questions.

Surely you are aware all policies vary and each has their own terms. That is the best reason for researching which best suits your needs.

Many policies require you made attempt to meet the ship at a port if you have missed scheduled embarkation.

Some people have reported they chose to stay on in the city where they should have boarded the ship but missed it and they did not collect on their policy.

Others said they just turned around and went home. Some were denied payment from their insurer.

This is a very real issue.

Read the policies and call and inquire of your insurer so you are fully aware of your responsibilities under the policy. Do not assume.

Edited by sail7seas

Found on Carnival website

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel).* Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one.* Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

Found on Carnival website

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel).* Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one.* Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

I do not believe that anyone has disputed that. Yes, a passport is recommended by both the cruise lines and the government. Fact remains that travelers on closed loop cruises do have options other than a passport. Whether they choose any of those options is up to them based on their individual assessment of their individual risks and their individual comfort level with said risks.

Another question that will vary by individual.

Exactly.

There are high risk takers among us and

there are low risk takers........

Decide for yourself what peace of mind is worth to you.

If you are going to sail with out a passport you take the small risk of something happening. I have never denied that the risk was there. But I do note that the risk is extremely small and you can do things to minimize it even more. Like flying in the day before, which we always do.

Drive, train, plane, bicycle......

there is always something that can delay your arrival.

The odds vary but Mr. Murphy has a habit of appearing at the most inopportune moments.

Peace of mind.

What is it worth to you?

My peace of mind is arriving a day or more early. We always make a brief stay in the embarkation port city part of our vacation. IMHO it just makes the vacation a lot less stressful as we have had delays getting to our destination....such as an emergency landing on a direct flight, a fuse blowing in DM's car causing their trunk not to open and an unexpected stop at a dealership so they could get their luggage and wheel chair, and a cooler flying out of truck on the highway smashing into DM's driver side window. Peace of mind doesn't necessarily come in the form of a passport.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Exactly.

There are high risk takers among us and

there are low risk takers........

Decide for yourself what peace of mind is worth to you.

Some of us do not consider sailing on a closed loop cruise a high risk based on our own extenuating circumstances and cruising travel style. I didn't for 9 cruises for DH and myself. I still don't for DD and DS. What changed for us was the risk of leaving 2 new drivers home alone while we are on a cruise. For my peace of mind that was not a risk I was willing to take....but if they are with me on a cruise I don't see it as a risk worth worrying about and I never needed a passport for my peace of mind. I didn't even worry about the minimal risk we were taking....IMHO the risk was smaller than getting in my car and driving to work every day.

My peace of mind is arriving a day or more early. We always make a brief stay in the embarkation port city part of our vacation. IMHO it just makes the vacation a lot less stressful as we have had delays getting to our destination....such as an emergency landing on a direct flight, a fuse blowing in DM's car causing their trunk not to open and an unexpected stop at a dealership so they could get their luggage and wheel chair, and a cooler flying out of truck on the highway smashing into DM's driver side window. Peace of mind doesn't necessarily come in the form of a passport.

We also plan to arrive in embarkation port at least two days in advance of sailing. But the thing is,,,,,,, this year we had lots of snow in Boston. Sometimes when you book to fly two days ahead, that is the day there's a snowstorm and your flight is cancelled. There are times, it would have been safer booking day before. When flights are cancelled these days, there aren't lots of empty seats on 'next flight'. Fewer flights; more sold out flights.

When anyone books a flight months in advance, no way to know what the weather, the mechanical problems or whatever else is happening that can delay or cancel a flight. :eek:

Yes, I get it. Living is a risk and you can't worry about every little thing but I like doing what I can to minimize my risk. I am a low risk taker. :o

:eek:

We also plan to arrive in embarkation port at least two days in advance of sailing. But the thing is,,,,,,, this year we had lots of snow in Boston. Sometimes when you book to fly two days ahead, that is the day there's a snowstorm and your flight is cancelled. There are times, it would have been safer booking day before. When flights are cancelled these days, there aren't lots of empty seats on 'next flight'. Fewer flights; more sold out flights.

When anyone books a flight months in advance, no way to know what the weather, the mechanical problems or whatever else is happening that can delay or cancel a flight.

Yes, I get it. Living is a risk and you can't worry about every little thing but I like doing what I can to minimize my risk. I am a low risk taker. :o

No need to be embarrassed about being a low risk taker;). We all have our limits. Some are lower than others. Mine is leaving 2 young relatively new drivers at home (DD will be getting her license next week:eek:). But the point I keep trying to get across is that as US citizens it is our choice on closed loop cruises to get a passport or not. Neither decision is right or wrong...it is a personal choice based on our own travel needs and our own level of risk taking. A risk that is extremely small on closed loop cruises. It shouldn't matter to anyone else our personal reasons for getting one or not and no one should be belittled because they choose to not get one for financial reasons.....it's their choice and no one else's business.

I am still completely unable to understand the controversy surrounding passports on this forum. It is a fact that those of us from the US do NOT need a passport to travel on closed loop cruises, so I don't get why people come on here and lambast those that choose to take this option open to US citizens and tell them that they are spending their own money in the wrong way.

What business is it of ANYONE what I or anyone else does with their money? If someone wants to cruise without a passport, it is none of your business. If someone ends up having an issue on that cruise, it is none of your business. Really, do you people have nothing better to do than come here and have 15 pages arguing about something this unimportant?

I am still completely unable to understand the controversy surrounding passports on this forum. It is a fact that those of us from the US do NOT need a passport to travel on closed loop cruises, so I don't get why people come on here and lambast those that choose to take this option open to US citizens and tell them that they are spending their own money in the wrong way.

What business is it of ANYONE what I or anyone else does with their money? If someone wants to cruise without a passport, it is none of your business. If someone ends up having an issue on that cruise, it is none of your business. Really, do you people have nothing better to do than come here and have 15 pages arguing about something this unimportant?

I don't understand it either.

As long as people understand the very slight risk they are taken and won't be asking me to bail them out, then it is their choice to spend their money as they please. It is no one else's business

What business is it of ANYONE what I or anyone else does with their money? If someone wants to cruise without a passport, it is none of your business.

Really, do you people have nothing better to do than come here and have 15 pages arguing about something this unimportant?

I don't understand it either.

It's nobody's business, but obviously mn311601 read thru the 15 pages?? and I'm sure paul has too? But, that's ok. It's entertaining to read other peoples perspective on things. Not necessarily educational, or enlightening. :) It's all about each individuals sense of security.

Edited by toberman

Really, do you people have nothing better to do than come here and have 15 pages arguing about something this unimportant?

Apparently not. LOL.

Like you, I don't understand why it's anyone's concern either. I have a passport, but I don't thing those who choose to not purchase passports are ignorant or idiots. :p

On this thread, I see so many questions about people asking about the need for a passport when cruising to various destinations.

My question is in this day in age, why doesn't everybody have a passport? I mean the US requires foreign visitors to have one when coming to the US, so why is it so hard to understand that US citizens should have one when traveling abroad? And why do people chance it in going to a foreign country without a passport?

Opinions?

Why do other people care so much? It has absolutely no effect on anyone else whether your fellow passengers do or do not have a passport, so I am baffled by the endless discussion about others getting or not getting a passport. It is a personal decision, just like choosing to fly in on the day of departure. Some people are willing to chance it.

If you are going to sail with out a passport you take the small risk of something happening. I have never denied that the risk was there. But I do note that the risk is extremely small and you can do things to minimize it even more. Like flying in the day before, which we always do.
Yes, that opinion seems to be wide-spread, and I totally agree with it. Yes, something bad could happen to any of us on a cruise; however, considering my family's habits, it's very unlikely that we'd have any problems that'd require us to use a passport:

- We live in a state where we have ice and snow about once a year.

- We drive our own car to the port.

- We always arrive at least a day ahead of time.

- We are in good health.

- We do not take part in risky excursions or behave as if we are invicible.

- We do not drink heavily in port.

- We understand island time vs. ship time and always wear a watch.

- During island stops, we always return to the ship well ahead of the scheduled sailing times.

- If we had a minor accident on an island, we would return to the ship for medical treatment rather than seek it ashore.

- We always have a map and enough money for a taxi, if we should encounter problems walking or if our original plans fall short.

- We do have relatives who are getting up there in years, but EVEN IF something were to happen to them on our cruise -- unless it were the first day out -- we'd have to wait 'til we reached an island, then fly out . . . and then we'd only return a day or two ahead of time. Unless they needed us to donate a kidney ALL OF A SUDDEN, it'd be a great deal of expense for very little practical point on our part. We'd probably finish the cruise.

No, we're not immune to problems, but the risk is not only low, it's miniscule. Peace of mind is not a problem.

On the other hand, buying a $100+ passport that may only be used twice in ten years is a CERTAIN expenditure.

:eek:

No need to be embarrassed about being a low risk taker;). We all have our limits . . . It shouldn't matter to anyone else our personal reasons for getting one or not and no one should be belittled because they choose to not get one for financial reasons.....it's their choice and no one else's business.

Absolutely, if you feel better because you have a passport, that's fine. What I do have a problem with is lamblasting other people who have thought through the issue and have reached a different conclusion, and exaggerating the risk to confuse the issue. Edited by MrsPete

QUESTION: Can you leave the country w/o a passport by any other mode of transportation? I didn't think so!:cool:

If you have to get off the ship and you are ill OR BETTER YET SOMEONE ELSE IS, how are you going to get home? How long will it take???

If you are going on multiple cruises, it is worth it as YOUR RISK INCREASES!!!:eek:

Simple answer is we just never needed a passport before. Last cruise it wasn't a requirement. Why would someone who doesn't travel and has no plans to travel in the foreseeable future get a passport to begin with?

<snip>

Why would someone who doesn't travel and has no plans to travel in the foreseeable future get a passport to begin with?

Of course, if a person is not going to travel, they don't need a passport.

But we are not talking about 'non-travelers'. We are talking about people who are traveling/have plans to travel in the foreseeable future.

Edited by sail7seas