Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

What this poster is really saying

"And we're Americans and we can travel into whatever country we want without a passport, and there is not thing one you can do about it."

Actually, no, they aren't saying anything like that at all. Why would you make up such a thing?

How many closed loop cruises can a person take before you just want to do something a little different......that requires a passport!!

I can cruise to Hawaii, Mexico(:(), Alaska, east coast and the carribean.

Yippee and after the fun of those places wears off......then what?!

No passports required to those very few limited places. {{yawn}}

I'm up to 28 so far. I'll let you know when i want to something a little different.;)

Bill

I love it when people pull out their crystal ball and proclaim that "soon it will be required". I have news for you...there's absolutely no move afoot by the US government to eliminate the closed loop cruise exception...but even if they want to at some point in the future there will be be months if not years of advance notice (the rule making process takes a lot of time). It won't be a surprise and anyone needing a passport will have more than enough time to get one if and when that day comes.

Thank you, oh voice of reason.:)

Bill

Actually, you Americans ought to count your blessings.

When we have visited the US and met 'locals' they are surprised that we have travelled all the way to spend time in America....you are fortunate to have national borders so far apart to be able to encompass such a huge diversity of scenery, people, weather etc. and the need for 'foreign' travel is then reduced accordingly.

The poster that said that the US government has no plans to change the passport requirements for closed loop travel is forgetting that the countries visited may change their criteria and not allow transit using your ships pass as sole I.d....after all, on some of those trips there are visiting foreign nationals travelling other than Yanks. Passports are not just for getting home.

When we have visited the US and met 'locals' they are surprised that we have travelled all the way to spend time in America....you are fortunate to have national borders so far apart to be able to encompass such a huge diversity of scenery, people, weather etc. and the need for 'foreign' travel is then reduced accordingly.

The poster that said that the US government has no plans to change the passport requirements for closed loop travel is forgetting that the countries visited may change their criteria and not allow transit using your ships pass as sole I.d....after all, on some of those trips there are visiting foreign nationals travelling other than Yanks. Passports are not just for getting home.

I guess you can say as Americans we travel freely from state to state with out check points and maybe take it for granted, or not, if those of us who have not been to another country to cross a border with strict check points. I know I haven't, but have a passport in hopes to travel to England or Italy someday. Also have it for SUPERIOR ID rather than just to rely on my drivers license.

the countries visited may change their criteria and not allow transit using your ships pass as sole I.D

The countries typically visited on closed-loop cruises.. .Bahamas, Jamaica, etc. are heavily invested in bringing in tourist/cruise dollars and have shown zero interest in making it tougher for people to visit and spend. I can't see them changing anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the cruise-lines start putting out more diverse itineraries, including stops in countries that do required passports.

"And we're Americans and we can travel into whatever country we want without a passport, and there is not thing one you can do about it."

Errrrrrr...not sure how you came up with that illogical conclusion. :confused: The number of countries we can visit sans passport are very limited. What we can do is travel an area almost the size of Europe without id of any kind (except as required by airlines and other forms of transportation).

You are right that as Americans, we can visit so many climates, so many different cities/national parks/rivers/lakes/oceans/so much diversity all in one nation.

We are also fortunate that those of us who desire get our passports and we come visit your country and the whole wide world, as well. For all those who do not have passports, please realize there are many of us who have passports and have held them for a great many years.

DH and I have had the pleasure of visiting your country no fewer than 5 or 6 times and would be happy to return in the future. Thank you for providing us such wonderful travel memories. :)

You really have to twist my words to pull that out of your hat.

I'm saying that Americans have great freedom to travel domestically without the need for a passport. For example, if i get into my car right now and drive 12 hours straight either north or south, i will still be in the United States. In contrast, Europeans, who live in small countries the size of some of our states, would naturally cross international lines more frequently; thus, their need for a passport is greater than ours.

Actually, no, they aren't saying anything like that at all. Why would you make up such a thing?

Errrrrrr...not sure how you came up with that illogical conclusion. :confused: The number of countries we can visit sans passport are very limited. What we can do is travel an area almost the size of Europe without id of any kind (except as required by airlines and other forms of transportation).

Some of you people just don't get sarcasm

Edited by LuckyZ

I love it when people pull out their crystal ball and proclaim that "soon it will be required". I have news for you...there's absolutely no move afoot by the US government to eliminate the closed loop cruise exception...but even if they want to at some point in the future there will be be months if not years of advance notice (the rule making process takes a lot of time). It won't be a surprise and anyone needing a passport will have more than enough time to get one if and when that day comes.

Yes, you're exactly right -- and the rules may change someday. When and if that occurs, this discussion will be at an end. Until then, the "thanks, but I'll take stock of my own needs and make a decision" point of view has merit.

Edited by MrsPete

I have to show my passport to get into the US - and I can see the US from where I live... so US citizens should all get their passports and come visit Canada!

I also try to pick the non-closed loop cruises where everyone must have a passport to travel so as to avoid the low-lifes and hill-billy cruisers who can't afford a passport.

I have to show my passport to get into the US - and I can see the US from where I live... so US citizens should all get their passports and come visit Canada!

I also try to pick the non-closed loop cruises where everyone must have a passport to travel so as to avoid the low-lifes and hill-billy cruisers who can't afford a passport.

Real nice, please move to where you can no longer see the US and all of the low life hillbillies and please don't darken our borders so you do not have to put up with our people who so obviously offend your eliteist sensibilities. :mad:

Desire is where it starts. ;)

Without desire, it is moot.

It also requires time and money. I could get a passport and stare at it longingly I guess until the time several years hence when I can actually use it.

Sometimes I wish all it took was desire.

It also requires time and money. I could get a passport and stare at it longingly I guess until the time several years hence when I can actually use it.

:D As I said,

Desire is where it starts.

The time and money are only accumulated if one has the desire to make it happen.

If you don't want to go, the rest is moot.

If you do want to go, do like the vast majority of the rest of us do. We save both time and money and make it happen.... IF, IF, IF we can.

I understand it is not possible for all people.

I also understand not all want to.

CAUTION: IF YOU ARE AN ADVOCATE OF TRAVELLING WITHOUT A PASSPORT, THIS POSTING IS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU TO READ, RATHER IT IS TO INQUIRE AMONG THOSE WHO BELIEVE GETTING A PASSPORT IS A GOOD IDEA AS TO WHAT THEY SEE COULD BE THE REASONS WHY PEOPLE WOULD NOT WANT TO GET PASSPORTS. ACCORDINGLY, YOUR RESPONSES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND YOU ARE URGED TO READ NO FURTHER LEST YOU UPSET YOURSELVES BECAUSE OTHERS ARE HAVING A CONVERSATION.

What do you see as the most common reason for a person to wish to travel without a passport?

a) Because they cannot imagine an occurrence which might necessitate having one.

b) Because they are afraid of letting "big government" gain any more knowledge of them.

c) Because they feel the average annual cost of less than $15 to be too great.

d) If "c", would you presume that they would also sneak liquor on board cruise ships in the interest of consistency?

e) Some other reason: please specify.

CAUTION: IF YOU ARE AN ADVOCATE OF TRAVELLING WITHOUT A PASSPORT, THIS POSTING IS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU TO READ, RATHER IT IS TO INQUIRE AMONG THOSE WHO BELIEVE GETTING A PASSPORT IS A GOOD IDEA AS TO WHAT THEY SEE COULD BE THE REASONS WHY PEOPLE WOULD NOT WANT TO GET PASSPORTS. ACCORDINGLY, YOUR RESPONSES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND YOU ARE URGED TO READ NO FURTHER LEST YOU UPSET YOURSELVES BECAUSE OTHERS ARE HAVING A CONVERSATION.

What do you see as the most common reason for a person to wish to travel without a passport?

a) Because they cannot imagine an occurrence which might necessitate having one.

b) Because they are afraid of letting "big government" gain any more knowledge of them.

d) If "c", would you presume that they would also sneak liquor on board cruise ships in the interest of consistency?

I do not advocate traveling without a passport, I advocate for people making up their own mind about what travel documentation they need for the types of travel that they do. For some people a passport is the logical choice, for some people a passport card or enhanced drivers license is the logical choice and for some people a birth certificate and drivers license is the logical choice.

Now why would you ask people who advocate getting passports why those who do not don't? It is apparent you don't understand our reasoning at all since one of the main true reasons (at least mine) isn't on your list to choose from...so let me tell it to your one more time. Every person has different travel styles, risk levels (ill parents, pre-existing conditions, etc), and risk assessments. The government gives US citizens on closed loop cruises the choice to get a passport or not based on their own factors. For some their risks are extremely low so the cost of getting a passport is more than they are willing to pay for the risk involved. Their choice. You can't seem to understand that no matter how many times it is explained to you by those who choose not to get one and I guarantee those who advocate getting a passport will not be able to explain it to you because they are coming from the same place you are....

I believe it's a couple of things that fall under "other." First, because if you're traveling on a closed loop cruise you don't need a passport, therefore many people won't get one for that simple reason. And, second, because of the cost that isn't paid at $13.50 per year, but $135 at one time.

I know people who have passports who've smuggled alcohol on board--I don't see a correlation on that one.

And, your continued comments about people being upset by a discussion about passports have gotten quite tired. Yes, I know you'll rip my a$$ for that comment. Sobeit.

There are many people who choose travel on closed-loop cruises. It doesn't make them stupid or ignorant or unaware (those I presume some of them are unaware) of the risks. Many of them are very aware of the risks and choose to travel without a passport where they're allowed to travel without a passport.

I do not advocate traveling without a passport, I advocate for people making up their own mind about what travel documentation they need for the types of travel that they do. For some people a passport is the logical choice, for some people a passport card or enhanced drivers license is the logical choice and for some people a birth certificate and drivers license is the logical choice.

Well said. And, gee, totally logical. :p:D

Now why would you ask people who advocate getting passports why those who do not don't? It is apparent you don't understand our reasoning at all since one of the main true reasons (at least mine) isn't on your list to choose from...so let me tell it to your one more time. Every person has different travel styles, risk levels (ill parents, pre-existing conditions, etc), and risk assessments. The government gives US citizens on closed loop cruises the choice to get a passport or not based on their own factors. For some their risks are extremely low so the cost of getting a passport is more than they are willing to pay for the risk involved. Their choice. You can't seem to understand that no matter how many times it is explained to you by those who choose not to get one and I guarantee those who advocate getting a passport will not be able to explain it to you because they are coming from the same place you are....

Yep. Agreed. Some people choose to ignore what is said over and over and deem that others are upset. He doesn't seem to understand that people make these choices--that they aren't necessarily cheap or ignorant--so interprets incorrectly that people are upset, misrepresents their views (I don't hear anyone advocating not getting a passport), and condescends. Sigh.

Ouch! I guess you are the exception that proves the rule that all Canadians are nice. I have lived in or next to Canada for the past 41 years and consider them to be excellent neighbors and am proud to know some of them as friends.

As far as whether people should have passports I think people should make their own decisions but not expect bailouts or exceptions if they suddenly are in a position to need one.