Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

Of course, any frequent closed loop cruiser who sees the cost of a passport to be reason for not having one might consider dividing the cost of the passport by the number of cruises taken in a ten year period to see the real cost of the "insurance" having a passport provides.

Let me emphasize -- I do not give a damn whether others get passports or not - I simply find it curious how some decide to economize.

QUESTION: Can you leave the country w/o a passport by any other mode of transportation? I didn't think so!:cool:

If you have to get off the ship and you are ill OR BETTER YET SOMEONE ELSE IS, how are you going to get home? How long will it take???

If you are going on multiple cruises, it is worth it as YOUR RISK INCREASES!!!:eek:

The risk is extremely small and it is the same risk whenever someone takes it....it does not increase. Flip a coin a 100 times your odds are 50/50 every time you flip it....your odds do not change based on your history of flipping. Simple statistics.

QUESTION: Why do you care if someone else decides to take that small risk? It doesn't affect you at all.

The risk is extremely small and it is the same risk whenever someone takes it....it does not increase. Flip a coin a 100 times your odds are 50/50 every time you flip it....your odds do not change based on your history of flipping. Simple statistics.

QUESTION: Why do you care if someone else decides to take that small risk? It doesn't affect you at all.

You clearly missed the class when they discussed statistics. Yes, EACH sample has the same odds, say 1 in a thousand. But by the time you take a thousand samples, you are likely to see that one in a thousand event occur.

You clearly missed the class when they discussed statistics. Yes, EACH sample has the same odds, say 1 in a thousand. But by the time you take a thousand samples, you are likely to see that one in a thousand event occur.

And the odds of something happening requiring a passport are??? Let's just say so small that I doubt I will ever take enough cruises to make the event likely to occur:rolleyes:.

:mad:BECAUSE I CARE AND SO SHOULD YOU!

The LAST thing I want to hear is someone saying they were stuck adrift w/fiflth for 5 days because 908 people didn't bother to buy a passport!!!

You're hoping this won't happen to you..The only way to insure that is to NOT CRUISE AT ALL!!! Bon Voyage,,,;)

:mad:BECAUSE I CARE AND SO SHOULD YOU!

The LAST thing I want to hear is someone saying they were stuck adrift w/fiflth for 5 days because 908 people didn't bother to buy a passport!!!

You're hoping this won't happen to you..The only way to insure that is to NOT CRUISE AT ALL!!! Bon Voyage,,,;)

You've got your facts wrong. The Triumph passengers weren't stuck adrift for 5 days because of people without passports. By the time the tug boats reached them the current had pushed them far enough that it was closer to go to the US. Look at the Dream....the US Government issued all those without passports a letter waiving the the passport requirement the SAME DAY Carnival decided not to sail. You don't think they could have done the same (and had to do the same since it was no longer a closed loop cruise) for those on the Triumph :rolleyes:.

You know there are no guarantees on anything in life. You can fall in a sink hole sleeping in your bed. We all take chances with every little thing we do. I prefer not to worry about the things that have little chance of happening and I won't spend my money on things that are not required unless I feel the need/want to have them. That's the way I am. The chances are extremely slim on a closed loop cruise that you will need a passport to get home unless you have extinuating circumstances like a dying relative or pre-existing condition. Then your risks are higher. It is an individual decision based on each families travel style and their risk factors vs cost. We are not a cookie cutter world. You should not care one iota what I or anyone else decides to do. It is our choice. You should only care about what is best for you and yours.

Having said all that we have sailed 9 times without passports with no problems. DH & I now have passports because our travel style and risks changed. DS & DD do not because their travel style and risks did not change. Not everyone has your travel needs, risks, and/or insecurities. So why push your needs and wants on someone who is not you and who has alternatives available that fit their needs and wants at a lower cost to them?

Edited by Warm Breezes

Having said all that we have sailed 9 times without passports with no problems. DH & I now have passports because our travel style and risks changed. DS & DD do not because their travel style and risks did not change. Not everyone has your travel needs, risks, and/or insecurities. So why push your needs and wants on someone who is not you and who has alternatives available that fit their needs and wants at a lower cost to them?

You're a good example of someone who weighed the risks and benefits of getting a passport and didn't. Then, when the risks changed, you did. You made the right decision for you, and that should be all that matters. I just don't understand why people get up in arms about whether someone else has a passport. :rolleyes: If the risk is too great for them, then they should get one but there's no need for them to worry about anyone else except their own families.

But can we not express our opinon?

The question is often asked here....... are there only some opinions which can be posted in response?

If the question was never asked, the subject wouldn't come up.

IMO..... there, I expressed my opinion. :)

The question is often asked here....... are there only some opinions which can be posted in response?

I don't see where anyone's saying people can't express their opinions. What I was referring to was how people try to push those opinions on others. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions at all. I can choose to agree or disagreed, but when people imply (or outright say) that others are wrong or stupid for not following someone else's opinion they're crossing a line. IMHO. :p

I have no issue with someone expressing their opinion. Explain that you have a passport and why it is your choice to have one. What I do have issues with is posters exaggerating the risk, making it sound like their "what if" scenerios are much more prevelant than they actually are. Statistally speaking the risks are extremely small and not everyones risks are the same. I do have issues with posters using the Triumph and Dream as examples of why you need a passport, when they are actually examples of passengers without passports getting home with no problems. I do have issues with posters calling people idiots or stupid for choosing to sail without one. I do have issues with posters telling others that if they can't afford passports then they can't afford to cruise. What others do with their money is no one elses business but their own. I do have issues with posters outright lying and telling posters that it is needed and required when it is not. So go ahead and post your opinion....just don't try shoving it down every ones throat who doesn't agree with you with exaggerations, lies, and slams to their intelligence or financial decisions.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I don't see where anyone's saying people can't express their opinions. What I was referring to was how people try to push those opinions on others. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions at all. I can choose to agree or disagreed, but when people imply (or outright say) that others are wrong or stupid for not following someone else's opinion they're crossing a line. IMHO. :p

Did someone in this thread say that which I have underlined?

I did not read anyone say that but I'll reread the whole thread to find where. I definitely missed it.

I agree If someone called another poster names that would be wrong and likely would break CC rules.

Edited by sail7seas

A general comment: clearly those cruisers who chose to travel without passports are highly sensitive. Their responses to the statements of others who believe that it is a good idea to have a passport and that it could well prove to be worth the money, have veered to the hysterical. They accuse advocates of having a passport of name-calling and of lying.

I have not seen either, but recognizing the desperate tone of those who insist that passports are not needed except in impossibly remote circumsatnces, I believe they should not be exposed to comments which upset them so.

I would suggest that anyone who believes that having a passport is a good idea should only express that thought in response to a specific question.

A general comment: clearly those cruisers who chose to travel without passports are highly sensitive. Their responses to the statements of others who believe that it is a good idea to have a passport and that it could well prove to be worth the money, have veered to the hysterical. They accuse advocates of having a passport of name-calling and of lying.

I have not seen either, but recognizing the desperate tone of those who insist that passports are not needed except in impossibly remote circumsatnces, I believe they should not be exposed to comments which upset them so.

I would suggest that anyone who believes that having a passport is a good idea should only express that thought in response to a specific question.

I have a passport:rolleyes:.

Did someone in this thread say that which I have underlined?

I did not read anyone say that but I'll reread the whole thread to find where. I definitely missed it.

I agree If someone called another poster names that would be wrong and likely would break CC rules.

Post #24 People are cheap when given the chance the us should make a law requiring passports.... But I'm sure 1/2 the people who say they are to $$$ doesn't miss a stop to Starbucks or the tanning bed

I didn't have to go far to find the first one....

I do have a passport (and my teen daughter has had a passport for several years as well)--I've had one since I was 17 (that was in the 70s). Your intrepretation may be that those of us who are saying it's a matter of individual choice are sounding desparate (ROTFL), but it's those who vehemently advocate that everyone who boards a cruise ship should have a passport, that are sounding alarmist to me. They may not be, but that's what it sounds like to me.

I'll say it again: each person must make the decision for him or herself. Weigh the risks and benefits and decide if you want to get a passport. If you choose not to, then deal with the consequences if you find yourself in need of one. It just seems simple to me.

Post #24 People are cheap when given the chance the us should make a law requiring passports.... But I'm sure 1/2 the people who say they are to $$$ doesn't miss a stop to Starbucks or the tanning bed

I didn't have to go far to find the first one....

No what I underlined.

this is:

but when people imply (or outright say) that others are wrong or stupid for not following someone else's opinion they're crossing a line. IMHO. :p

You've got your facts wrong. The Triumph passengers weren't stuck adrift for 5 days because of people without passports. By the time the tug boats reached them the current had pushed them far enough that it was closer to go to the US. Look at the Dream....the US Government issued all those without passports a letter waiving the the passport requirement the SAME DAY Carnival decided not to sail. You don't think they could have done the same (and had to do the same since it was no longer a closed loop cruise) for those on the Triumph :rolleyes:.

You know there are no guarantees on anything in life. You can fall in a sink hole sleeping in your bed. We all take chances with every little thing we do. I prefer not to worry about the things that have little chance of happening and I won't spend my money on things that are not required unless I feel the need/want to have them. That's the way I am. The chances are extremely slim on a closed loop cruise that you will need a passport to get home unless you have extinuating circumstances like a dying relative or pre-existing condition. Then your risks are higher. It is an individual decision based on each families travel style and their risk factors vs cost. We are not a cookie cutter world. You should not care one iota what I or anyone else decides to do. It is our choice. You should only care about what is best for you and yours.

:(Oh I'm not PUSHING anyone to do anything they don't want to do...

Here a factoid: AGAIN, if you have an emergency or someone ANYONE is ill and that ship has to stop outside of the U.S., you CANNOT get off said ship w/o a passport!

Sure there are exceptions to every rule...BUT WHY TAKE A CHANCE???

Forewarned is forearmed...Lighten up!:D

:(Oh I'm not PUSHING anyone to do anything they don't want to do...

Here a factoid: AGAIN, if you have an emergency or someone ANYONE is ill and that ship has to stop outside of the U.S., you CANNOT get off said ship w/o a passport!

Sure there are exceptions to every rule...BUT WHY TAKE A CHANCE???

Forewarned is forearmed...Lighten up!:D

Seems the begining of your post is the opposite of the end of your post. You are most certainly pushing people to do what you believe is the right thing.

Seems the begining of your post is the opposite of the end of your post. You are most certainly pushing people to do what you believe is the right thing.

Lighten up - advising of a risk is hardly "pushing people" - letting new cruisers understand a risk is a courtesy. Those who have made a decision can ignore the advice, but objecting to the giving of that advice is certainly "pushing" a position: that it is somehow wrong to give advice.