Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

There are two types of travelers...those who figure when something happens, it is up to them deal and those who expect someone will help them..

..... and while at it will be looking for who to blame. It is never 'our own fault.' Seems these days it is always someone else's fault. :eek:

..... and while at it will be looking for who to blame. It is never 'our own fault.' Seems these days it is always someone else's fault. :eek:

I know that I wouldn't do that but yes, there are undoubtedly some that would. Then you would have the satisfaction of telling them you told them so.

Read most of the postings in this thread....to be fair, US passport costs are quite high, they are three times what it costs in the UK!

If your government has set up ways to go on 'local' holidays without the need for a US passport then fair enough......a lot of posters will never need to travel internationally so the system works for them, leave them alone!

We Brit's don't have much of a choice living on this little island so passports are necessary to get away from the cold damp climate.

I would not take the chance on travelling without being insured though. It can be quite expensive for foreign travel (slightly more so to the US-Due to high medical costs) but for the peace of mind it's invaluable. I have been fortunate never to have needed it, my father in law was not that lucky.

A mid air heart attack lead to their flight to Cyprus being diverted to Greece, two weeks care in a private hospital with accommodation and food for the mother in law also, a medivac flight home all covered by the insurance company....a small premium to pay instead of all those costs? Insurance for me every time.

On the last two cruises, one Caribbean and one European, the state and condition of our fellow cruisers would make insurance a must have rather than a ' take a chance' situation.

Overall, I have never seen a mass of humanity from privileged countries that looked in a more unfit, obese, decrepit state than on those two cruises.

Admittedly a lot of them were a lot more more senior to us, but they certainly could do with losing a LOT of weight, I wonder how they manage to even shower, one side at a time?

As a long time international traveler (dating back to mid-1980's), we would not leave the United States without a passport. Just an opinion from someone with a lot of experience

"Like"

As a long time international traveler (dating back to mid-1980's), we would not leave the United States without a passport. Just an opinion from someone with a lot of experience

Agree wholeheartedly! My first passport had a green cover, so I have followed that advice for a little while. :D

Agree wholeheartedly! My first passport had a green cover, so I have followed that advice for a little while. :D

Did your picture look like it was "ironed on" to the page and had that "raised seal" stamped over it?

I have no issue with someone expressing their opinion. Explain that you have a passport and why it is your choice to have one. What I do have issues with is posters exaggerating the risk, making it sound like their "what if" scenerios are much more prevelant than they actually are. Statistally speaking the risks are extremely small and not everyones risks are the same. I do have issues with posters using the Triumph and Dream as examples of why you need a passport, when they are actually examples of passengers without passports getting home with no problems. I do have issues with posters calling people idiots or stupid for choosing to sail without one. I do have issues with posters telling others that if they can't afford passports then they can't afford to cruise. What others do with their money is no one elses business but their own. I do have issues with posters outright lying and telling posters that it is needed and required when it is not. So go ahead and post your opinion....just don't try shoving it down every ones throat who doesn't agree with you with exaggerations, lies, and slams to their intelligence or financial decisions.
Totally agree. I could give examples of cruise-related topics upon which I've changed my opinion based upon things other people have pointed out. However, on this particular topic, the passport faithful do resort to false information and exaggerated claims -- and, like you, I do have a problem with that.
A general comment: clearly those cruisers who chose to travel without passports are highly sensitive. Their responses to the statements of others who believe that it is a good idea to have a passport and that it could well prove to be worth the money, have veered to the hysterical. They accuse advocates of having a passport of name-calling and of lying.

I have not seen either, but recognizing the desperate tone of those who insist that passports are not needed except in impossibly remote circumsatnces, I believe they should not be exposed to comments which upset them so.

I would suggest that anyone who believes that having a passport is a good idea should only express that thought in response to a specific question.

A better-read debater would simply have stated, "The lady doth protest". And I'd say that's extremely true of your side of the argument.
There are two types of travelers...those who figure when something happens, it is up to them deal and those who expect someone will help them..
I totally agree that each of us should own up to our own choices and take responsibility for what comes our way; however, that doesn't address the issue that the vast, vast, vast majority of us will not have an emergency on a cruise. Furthermore, only a portion of those people who do experience an emergency will have the option to fly home -- even with a passport!
We Brit's don't have much of a choice living on this little island so passports are necessary to get away from the cold damp climate.
This actually matches up with my opinion completely! Your circumstances warrant that a passport is a necessity for you: You live in a small country, and you can travel internationally even for a weekend or so. However, you also seem to understand that this isn't everyone's reality.

You (Brits) live in a small country, and you can travel internationally even for a weekend or so. However, you also seem to understand that this isn't everyone's reality.

What this poster is really saying

"And we're Americans and we can travel into whatever country we want without a passport, and there is not thing one you can do about it."

$120 currently is not an excessive cost to anyone considering a cruise. do whatever makes you happy. but, if the case should arise where you would need one please don't play the 'dumb/I didn't know' card. whether or not anyone has a passport or not won't affect my flight/cruise one way or the other.

"And we're Americans and we can travel into whatever country we want without a passport, and there is not thing one you can do about it."

Not exactly true, there are a few countries near / attached to yours that allow you to enter and leave whilst on a 'closed loop' cruise. Any other country beyond those few will require a passport.

On a closed loop cruise, yes, we can.

at some point they are going to be required...wish they were now. Then no one could complain about being denied boarding because they don't have proper birth certificates or other issues.

I would NEVER take my kids on a cruise without a passport.

True at some point "all" will be required to have one. Why limit yourself to going to the places that don't require you to have one. Get it and it's good for 10 years.

Lord...its like only cruising to places that do not require you to fly to departing ports! Flight anxiety and being cheap is the reason for that one!

Life travel experiences are limitless if you have passports and are willing to fly:rolleyes:

How many closed loop cruises can a person take before you just want to do something a little different......that requires a passport!!

I can cruise to Hawaii, Mexico(:(), Alaska, east coast and the carribean.

Yippee and after the fun of those places wears off......then what?!

No passports required to those very few limited places. {{yawn}}

Choosing not to fly to a departure port is not cheap these days, plus we don't fly much because my DW has bad inner ear problems and sudden pressure changes put her in severe pain. Thus the reason taking a cruise is our only vacation any more, that plus they are so much better than flying. Also driving is fun to do and see much more along the way.

at some point they are going to be required...wish they were now. Then no one could complain about being denied boarding because they don't have proper birth certificates or other issues.

I would NEVER take my kids on a cruise without a passport.

True at some point "all" will be required to have one. Why limit yourself to going to the places that don't require you to have one. Get it and it's good for 10 years.

Lord...its like only cruising to places that do not require you to fly to departing ports! Flight anxiety and being cheap is the reason for that one!

Life travel experiences are limitless if you have passports and are willing to fly:rolleyes:

I love it when people pull out their crystal ball and proclaim that "soon it will be required". I have news for you...there's absolutely no move afoot by the US government to eliminate the closed loop cruise exception...but even if they want to at some point in the future there will be be months if not years of advance notice (the rule making process takes a lot of time). It won't be a surprise and anyone needing a passport will have more than enough time to get one if and when that day comes.

Edited by njhorseman

How many closed loop cruises can a person take before you just want to do something a little different......that requires a passport!!

I can cruise to Hawaii, Mexico(:(), Alaska, east coast and the carribean.

Yippee and after the fun of those places wears off......then what?!

No passports required to those very few limited places. {{yawn}}

As I explained earlier in the thread my travel choices are limited right now whereas they won't be in a few year, so in a few years when my travel choices change I will obtain a passport and will not have lost any time off of it.