Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

and I can see the US from where I live..

Sarah... is that you?

I also try to pick the non-closed loop cruises where everyone must have a passport to travel so as to avoid the low-lifes and hill-billy cruisers who can't afford a passport.

Let me guess, sarcasm again?

CAUTION: IF YOU ARE AN ADVOCATE OF TRAVELLING WITHOUT A PASSPORT, THIS POSTING IS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU TO READ, RATHER IT IS TO INQUIRE AMONG THOSE WHO BELIEVE GETTING A PASSPORT IS A GOOD IDEA AS TO WHAT THEY SEE COULD BE THE REASONS WHY PEOPLE WOULD NOT WANT TO GET PASSPORTS. ACCORDINGLY, YOUR RESPONSES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND YOU ARE URGED TO READ NO FURTHER LEST YOU UPSET YOURSELVES BECAUSE OTHERS ARE HAVING A CONVERSATION.

What do you see as the most common reason for a person to wish to travel without a passport?

a) Because they cannot imagine an occurrence which might necessitate having one.

b) Because they are afraid of letting "big government" gain any more knowledge of them.

c) Because they feel the average annual cost of less than $15 to be too great.

d) If "c", would you presume that they would also sneak liquor on board cruise ships in the interest of consistency?

e) Some other reason: please specify.

I know you worked hard to set up this extremely important survey, so I don't want to mess it up. I am not an advocate of people traveling without a passport. However, I am an advocate of giving people the facts and letting them make up their own mind.

So can I read the survey and submit an opinion? Or would that invalidate the entire survey?

CAUTION: IF YOU ARE AN ADVOCATE OF TRAVELLING WITHOUT A PASSPORT,

Note - nobody is an advocate of travelling without a passport. People have clearly explained their position at least a dozen times in this thread. Are you honestly incapable of understanding their positions? Or are you just trolling because you enjoy being a jerk?

CAUTION: IF YOU ARE AN ADVOCATE OF TRAVELLING WITHOUT A PASSPORT, THIS POSTING IS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU TO READ, RATHER IT IS TO INQUIRE AMONG THOSE WHO BELIEVE GETTING A PASSPORT IS A GOOD IDEA AS TO WHAT THEY SEE COULD BE THE REASONS WHY PEOPLE WOULD NOT WANT TO GET PASSPORTS. ACCORDINGLY, YOUR RESPONSES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND YOU ARE URGED TO READ NO FURTHER LEST YOU UPSET YOURSELVES BECAUSE OTHERS ARE HAVING A CONVERSATION.

What do you see as the most common reason for a person to wish to travel without a passport?

a) Because they cannot imagine an occurrence which might necessitate having one.

b) Because they are afraid of letting "big government" gain any more knowledge of them.

d) If "c", would you presume that they would also sneak liquor on board cruise ships in the interest of consistency?

You can't be serious. The cost of a passport is $135 + photo. You don't get to pay it in annual installments. You don't get a refund if you want to cancel it after your trip. A family of 4 decides it's not worth spending $500 for something which isn't required.

I doubt there is any relationship to cruising with a passport and smuggling liquor. I can make the opposite case. The family that doesn't spend $500 for passports has an extra $500 they can spend onboard. The family who bought passports have $500 less to spend on board. Would they be more likely to smuggle booze?

I have a passport. I accept the fact that other people have legitimate reasons for not getting one.

I'll make it easy for you.

1) Passports aren't required for closed loop cruises.

2) Passports cost around $140-$150 (with photo). A little less for kids.

3) The circumstances which might require an emergency passport are very rare.

4) Even then the US consulate/embassy will assist passengers in getting whatever emergency documents are necessary to fly home.

Who should get a passport?

a) People who are nervous.

b) People who are sheep and do what posters on the internet suggest.

c) People with unlimited funds.

d) People who are anticipating future trips which might require a passport. Who might want to book a last minute trip.

e) People who's circumstance suggests a possibility of having to come early. A sick or dying relative for example.

f) Instances where a passport gives you flexibility. An example would be an Alaskan cruise embarking, or disembarking, in Vancouver. You might plan on taking ground transportation from SEA to Vancouver. Having a passport will allow you to change your flight directly to Vancouver if circumstances permit.

g) Not related to cruising. Some people prefer using a passport rather then a drivers license for photo ID at the airport. Your home address isn't listed on your passport.

What category applies to you?

My opinion is its a)

As for your e): If they dont get a passport for the money, I would assume they also dont get travel insurance for the same reason

Edited by LuckyZ

the same folks who cry it's $120 for a passport will wizz that and more away on booze the first day. again it doesn't impact my cruise but frankly I wouldn't go back to Mexico on your dime. The Caribbean was fine a couple of times but out of the tourist area the tin shacks reminded me of sites I saw during my time in RVN.

as far as the big brother thing.. they isn't a thing they don't know about you whether or not you have a passport.

the same folks who cry it's $120 for a passport will wizz that and more away on booze the first day. again it doesn't impact my cruise but frankly I wouldn't go back to Mexico on your dime. The Caribbean was fine a couple of times but out of the tourist area the tin shacks reminded me of sites I saw during my time in RVN.

as far as the big brother thing.. they isn't a thing they don't know about you whether or not you have a passport.

It's not $120, it's $140-$150 when you include the photo. Folks aren't crying. Some folks don't want to waste money on something which isn't required.

I guess I agree with your second point. Having a passport allows you to greatly expand your cruising experience. The better Alaskan itineraries use Vancouver. You need a passport to fly into Canada. There are people who just like the cruising experience and don't want to spend money on airfare. They're happy cruising out of Florida. Dozens of cruises.

Note - nobody is an advocate of travelling without a passport. People have clearly explained their position at least a dozen times in this thread. Are you honestly incapable of understanding their positions? Or are you just trolling because you enjoy being a jerk?

I think that is a big point they don't understand. We are not against getting passports. We do support the freedom to choose whether or not get a passport on closed loop cruises based on the law as currently stands. People should be told the facts about the risks involved and that is what we are promoting. A lot of us who take this stance even have passports. I think that is a point that goes right over the passport pushers heads.

FWIW navybankteacher, during our nine cruises without passports we never once smuggled any alcohol on board. It is something that never even crossed my mind.

My opinion is its a)

As for your e): If they dont get a passport for the money, I would assume they also dont get travel insurance for the same reason

You would assume wrong....IMHO the risk value analysis for us on whether or not to get insurance is much different than the risk value analysis for us on whether or not to get passports. We have purchased insurance for the majority of our cruises that we sailed without passports because in our opinion it's value was worth the cost. Insurance, like passports, is an individual choice that we weigh the risks and take responsibility for our choices.

I, OTOH, have a passport and have smuggled alcohol on two of 10 cruises. :D

Funny how the assumptions of the type of people who cruise without passports keep falling apart:p. Let's see the ones that were false for me so far:

• Cost to high can't afford it....I could always afford it, I just chose not to spend my money on something I didn't need or want. My first 2 cruises were on Disney :rolleyes:.
  • So cheap they must smuggle alcohol too.....I never have and never will and some on this thread who have sailed with passports say they do smuggle alcohol.
  • If they don't purchase passports they must not purchase travel insurance either...Sorry wrong again. I not only purchase travel insurance but have had to use it for a death in the family.
  • That we are advocating sailing without passport...no we are advocating closed loop cruisers right to choose to sail with or without a passport based on their own travel style/needs, their own personal risks, and their own risk/value analysis....a lot of us even have passports so why would we advocate sailing without one?

Any more assumptions you want us to knock down :rolleyes:?

Edited by Warm Breezes

Funny how the assumptions of the type of people who cruise without passports keep falling apart:p. Let's see the ones that were false for me so far:

• Cost to high can't afford it....I could always afford it, I just chose not to spend my money on something I didn't need or want. My first 2 cruises were on Disney :rolleyes:.
  • So cheap they must smuggle alcohol too.....I never have and never will and some on this thread who have sailed with passports say they do smuggle alcohol.
  • If they don't purchase passports they must not purchase travel insurance either...Sorry wrong again. I not only purchase travel insurance but have had to use it for a death in the family.
  • That we are advocating sailing without passport...no we are advocating closed loop cruisers right to choose to sail with or without a passport based on their own travel style/needs, their own personal risks, and their own risk/value analysis....a lot of us even have passports so why would we advocate sailing without one?

Any more assumptions you want us to knock down :rolleyes:?

Nicely summed up. :D And, as you said, I certainly don't advocate sailing without a passport, but I think each person (or family) needs to make his or her own decision. I use mine even when I'm flying point-to-point in the U.S. since it's the best form of ID.

Yes, it is about risk vs reward. But be reminded that the birth certificate you need in place of a passport is an official government document with the raised seal, not the form the hospital hands out. The risk here is losing it for some reason. My experience has been that it is much more difficult to replace a government issued birth certificate than a government issued passport. Of the two, I would rather lose my passport, which I can get replaced in a matter of days, if not hours, than the birth certificate, which will take months.

Like you said - it's all about how much risk is a person willing to take. For me, I take enough risks going about my daily life than to deliberately subject myself to even more of it while on vacation. It's a personal choice, so do whatever you feel is worth the risk to you. I prefer to travel with as low a risk quotient as possible.

In Pennsylvania, if you or either of your parents have ever served in the military, it is free to obtain copies of your government issued birth certificate. A notary public with a messenger license that makes regular trips to the capitol city can get a copy for you in a day or two.

I have several copies of all of our birth certificates because my mom happens to be a notary and my spouse happens to have been in the military. She picked up copies for all of my family when we were unable to unearth one of my daughters' birth certs. Had we lost her passport, I believe it would have taken much more time to get a replacement, and I am sure it would not have been free. :)

I am not arguing with your choice - I just thought it might be good info for people to have regarding obtaining official copies of their birth certs. If PA provides them free for anyone who has served in the military (and for their immediate family members), I bet other states do, as well.

Originally Posted by LuckyZ View Post

So for those that argue you don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise, how do you answer this poster from another thread?

I don't answer the other poster. No one owes any one an explanation of why the do or do not get a passport for a closed loop cruise. A passport is not required.

Don't fly on the same day you plan to cruise?

Makes a lot of sense.

Many posters suggest travel insurance. Flight delays going to your cruise are covered under the travel delay portion of the policy. The contract specifies how long a delay is required before the policy pays. Typically the delay has to be 6 hours, sometimes as much as 12. Even then many policies have a dollar limit which might only be a few hundred dollars. Not an issue if you're flying the day before and your airline will be flying you to your embarkation port in time to make your cruise. Won't help if Spirit cancel your flight, offers to fly you in 3 days and you need to book last minute airfare. Also means the insurance policy won't help passengers who book flights scheduled to land the afternoon of their cruise.

Some cruise air has next port protection. I wonder what happens if you're in that situation but don't have a passport. Do they just fly you home and give you a complete refund? Do they have contacts to get last minute documentation? I doubt it. Do they just tell you too bad. I'd hope not.

Makes a lot of sense.

Many posters suggest travel insurance. Flight delays going to your cruise are covered under the travel delay portion of the policy. The contract specifies how long a delay is required before the policy pays. Typically the delay has to be 6 hours, sometimes as much as 12. Even then many policies have a dollar limit which might only be a few hundred dollars. Not an issue if you're flying the day before and your airline will be flying you to your embarkation port in time to make your cruise. Won't help if Spirit cancel your flight, offers to fly you in 3 days and you need to book last minute airfare. Also means the insurance policy won't help passengers who book flights scheduled to land the afternoon of their cruise.

Some cruise air has next port protection. I wonder what happens if you're in that situation but don't have a passport. Do they just fly you home and give you a complete refund? Do they have contacts to get last minute documentation? I doubt it. Do they just tell you too bad. I'd hope not.

They will not just fly you home and pay a claim.

Most travel insurers will not pay a claim that arises because the traveler did not have the proper travel documents. In many/most cases, the claim would be denied.

They will not just fly you home and pay a claim.

Most travel insurers will not pay a claim that arises because the traveler did not have the proper travel documents. In many/most cases, the claim would be denied.

I wasn't referring to cruise air, not insurance. I checked Princess, the language has "tightened up" since last time I looked. It really doesn't promise anything.

My glamorous Aunt Barbara told me when I was young, "Darling, always have a passport ready in case someone wants to whisk you off to Paris." I got my first passport when I was in high school just in case. I haven't been whisked off to Paris, but I did get a last minute invite to Madrid that I would have had to turn down had I had to wait for a passport.

While my Mom doesn't travel much, I urged my parents to follow her sister's advice and get passports. Several years later, while traveling in South America, my usually healthy self got very ill and was hospitalized. My mom was packing her bag before she had hung up the phone. This then 40 year old was never so glad to see his mommy. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: This is just my experience that was written with no judgement for anyone. We all have our own opinions on this topic and I just wanted to weigh in and maybe lighten the tone of this thread.

Happy Journeys to EVERYONE!

Cruise ships don't hold passports from Brit's either, when we've 'checked in' for cruises, flights, hotels, car hire etc - we have always had our passports returned.

Travel insurance is legalised gambling, if the insurance companies can find someway of not paying out they will. Surely if you are insuring a cruise and you have the correct documentation to travel on that cruise, if something untoward was to occur and you get stranded through no fault of yours on foreign soil without a passport they're still obliged to cover you?

Next time any of you travelling 'sans passport' take out insurance maybe you should ask that specific question.