Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

I consider icing on cake to be quite good;). But I wouldn't buy a passport just for the other things that it can be used for (although some do and that is their perogative).

Well, except "she's" a "he" you are right;).

No, Sparks. You are correcting someone who was correct but you are not. ;)

I was the one who made that post about another reason for having a passport and I am definitely a 'she'. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Exactly. I am by no means poor. I have no debt besides my mortgage with less than 10 years left on it and healthy balances in savings, 401ks, and college funds. The reason I have healthy balances in those accounts is because I don't spend my money on things I'm not required to have and/or don't have the desire to purchase. In this matter I have a choice to purchase or not. For 12 years we chose not for DH and myself. Risk factors changed and we chose to for our upcoming cruises. We still chose not for DS and DD. Their risk factors did not change. Bottom line is that it is our choice as US citizens going on closed loop cruises.

If this is a contest, I'll jump in. :D

I am not rich - never have been. But, over the years I have paid off my mortgage, and I don't keep any outstanding loans or debt of any kind. I have also put away enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life. I would consider myself thrifty, but at the same time I don't deny myself some of life's guilty pleasures.

I have always maintained a passport, even if I had no immediate plans to go out of the country. I find that having one waiting in my safe in case I may need it, to be one less thing I have to think about when an overseas trip is contemplated. Just like I always have a set of good luggage in my closet, even though I may not have a trip planned, having a passport within easy reach is one less thing I need to take care of before I leave on my trip.

It's all about how prepared a person wants to be in case an overseas trip opportunity arises. The less I need to put in place to be able to go, the easier my vacation preparation will be. The minimal cost of obtaining a passport "just in case" is well worth the convenience having it in hand provides. I do not consider it a waste of money.

Edited by swsfrail

I am not rich - never have been. But, over the years I have paid off my a mortgage, and I don't keep any outstanding loans or debt of any kind. I have also put away enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life. I would consider myself thrifty, but at the same time I don't deny myself some of life's guilty pleasures.

I have always maintained a passport, even if I had no immediate plans to go out of the country. I find that having one waiting in my safe in case I may need it, to be one less thing I have to think about when an overseas trip is contemplated. Just like I always have a set of good luggage in my closet, even though I may not have a trip planned, having a passport within easy reach is one less thing I need to take care of before I leave on my trip.

It's all about how prepared a person wants to be in case an overseas trip opportunity arises. The less I need to put in place to be able to go, the easier my vacation preparation will be. The minimal cost of obtaining a passport "just in case" is well worth the convenience having it in hand provides. I do not consider it a waste of money.

Lovely post.

Thank you for it. :)

This thread has hundreds of posts. At least a dozen people have carefully taken the time to write up their reasons for not wanting to buy a passport. Instead of addressing those posts, she (that would be me) may have chosen to address some remember post in other threads. Why go there?

Look back through this thread. "It's all about the money" is there, in several iterations. There's also someone who says he/she thinks passports should be free.

Yes, I also used my impressions from previous threads, because the same complaint about the cost appears so frequently.

If you a cruise to Europe at the point where you need to expedite your passport, how much do you think airfare is going to be?

That is one reason I haven't taken a Med cruise, and that's why the cruises are discounted.

Because it cost so much to fly there nobody is booking.

I want to someday take a cruise to Greece but i can't wrap my head around paying more for airfare than I do for the cruise.

Plus they are port intensive and the excursions are not cheap. For my wife and I it would be a once in a lifetime thing.:)

Bill

I guess you mean that few Americans are going? The ships aren't sailing empty, but are full of people who live closer to the Med - and Kiwis and Australians, who have to fly even further than from the USA!

I hope you get there one day. It's worth it!

I guess you mean that few Americans are going? The ships aren't sailing empty, but are full of people who live closer to the Med - and Kiwis and Australians, who have to fly even further than from the USA!

I hope you get there one day. It's worth it!

Some Americans are going! I live on the wet coast of the U.S. and we're heading there next month. The airfare cost almost $1,000 more than our balcony room, but we're extending the vacation (five weeks in total) to justify spending that much on our flights. Can't wait!! :D

Oh, and there are a lot of Americans on our roll call, so "nobody" and "few Americans" aren't too accurate.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

No, Sparks. You are correcting someone who was correct but you are not. ;)

I was the one who made that post about another reason for having a passport and I am definitely a 'she'. :D

Quilting Cruiser responded to navybankerteacher who had responded to my post about icing on the cake. If Quilting Cruiser was making reference to your post then yes, I was incorrect. :)

I am not rich - never have been. But, over the years I have paid off my mortgage, and I don't keep any outstanding loans or debt of any kind. I have also put away enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life. I would consider myself thrifty, but at the same time I don't deny myself some of life's guilty pleasures.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with your reasoning or decision, for you (just as there is nothing wrong with my reasoning or my decision for me).

I would not consider it a waste of money for you either. But for us an overseas trip is not something we can just jump on due to our jobs and kids. So that benefit is wasted on us and not something I would purchase a passport for at this time in our lives. Like I said before...it is a choice we all must make individually based on our own travel needs and risk/value assessment. What is wrong is when a poster tries to impose their travel needs or risk/value assessment on everyone else....we all have a choice to make the decision that is best for us.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Plus you would probably want to wait until you did take them up on their offer where a passport was required before getting a passport...why waste years when you don't need to. Some people just don't get that.

Not just years, why waste months? Processing time for a passport is 4-6 weeks. Apply for your passport 6 weeks before your flight, 6 weeks and a day if you'll be leaving for the airport before your daily mail delivery. Ideally you'll be getting your passport the day before your flight and you won't be wasting more then a day or two. I do get what you're saying.

Quilting Cruiser responded to navybankerteacher who had responded to my post about icing on the cake. If Quilting Cruiser was making reference to your post then yes, I was incorrect. :)

You were correct, I was referencing a comment you made and referred to you as a "she." :o

Look back through this thread. "It's all about the money" is there, in several iterations.

Do you honestly not understand that "I don't want to pay the cost of a passport because it's not necessary" is not the same thing as "I'm poor and can't afford it"?

Seriously, do you think those two things mean the same thing?

Do you honestly not understand that "I don't want to pay the cost of a passport because it's not necessary" is not the same thing as "I'm poor and can't afford it"?

I don't have the time to search for them right now - and I'm not sure which forum the posts were made in - but I can recall at least 2 specific instances (and have vague recollections of more) where the poster in fact said that if they were required to pay for passports for the whole family, they could not afford to cruise. One with 2 kids, another I think with 3. One of these instances the cruise was a gift from a family member. It wasn't 'don't want to spend'; it was 'can't afford'.

I don't have the time to search for them right now - and I'm not sure which forum the posts were made in - but I can recall at least 2 specific instances (and have vague recollections of more) where the poster in fact said that if they were required to pay for passports for the whole family, they could not afford to cruise. One with 2 kids, another I think with 3. One of these instances the cruise was a gift from a family member. It wasn't 'don't want to spend'; it was 'can't afford'.

I'm sure there is a good mixture of both on these boards. IMHO it really doesn't matter why someone chooses to get one or not. We each have a choice and make a decision based on our own travel needs and risk/value analysis. My reasons are not your reasons and my decision may or may not agree with yours. It doesn't matter as we are allowed to make different decisions.

Of course I understand the difference and no, I don't think they mean the same thing. Funnily enough, although I'm a Senior, I have not lost my powers of comprehension. ;)

I've been around these boards for quite a while (from our relative post counts, somewhat longer than you) and, believe me I have seen both reasons, many times.

I believe that a considered decision to not purchase a passport is acceptable for some, but I think those who do complain about the cost of passports should maybe reconsider their priorities.

Now, please get off my back and go hound someone else.

Thank you, Twickenham. I've seen several examples of both types, too.

Now, please get off my back and go hound someone else.

You made the claim, then repeated it, that people IN THIS TREAD claimed to be poor and could afford a passport. That's simply a lie. When you say things that aren't true, and people point it out, that's not exactly "hounding."

Thank you, Twickenham. I've seen several examples of both types, too.

Yes, somewhere along over the years you and Twickenham may have seen such posts. But why would you ignore the dozens of posters in this thread who have carefully spelled out their thoughts and positions and instead attack posts you vaguely remember from some board somewhere at some point in the past?

Edited by zekekelso

You made the claim, then repeated it, that people IN THIS TREAD claimed to be poor and could afford a passport. That's simply a lie. When you say things that aren't true, and people point it out, that's not exactly "hounding."

Yes, somewhere along over the years you and Twickenham may have seen such posts. But why would you ignore the dozens of posters in this thread who have carefully spelled out their thoughts and positions and instead attack posts you vaguely remember from some board somewhere at some point in the past?

1. I refer you to posts # 4, 11, 15, 17, 20 on just page one of this thread.
  2. What I said was not a lie.
  3. It's impossible to respond to each and every post on a long thread. I chose one aspect to comment on.
  4. I understand why some people budget carefully and choose not to get a passport - that's their choice and I'm not telling them what to do.
  5. However, as someone from a country where passports cost a similar amount to the USA, but only last 5 years ( so, effectively, cost double the USA price), I still say that the argument that passports cost too much does not wash with me.

I keep reading "it's all about the money", with an additional justification that children's passports have to be renewed after 5 years, so more cost.

Passports cost a similar amount for citizens of countries other than the USA. Many countries (including my own) require passport renewal every 5 years, so the annual cost of a passport is higher.

And yet, we all get passports if we want to travel. Somehow, we find that money. We don't cry poor and say we can't afford it. That's an argument that doesn't resonate with me.

This is what I first said in this thread. Do you see anywhere in that post that I said that it was "in this thread"? No, I didn't, so stop accusing me of lying.

I didn't ignore them. I can't respond to everything. Actually, I have said, several times in this thread, that I find the carefully considered budgeting approach quite reasonable in their circumstances.

And I'm not "vague". I just don't choose to find references to these past threads, just to satisfy you.

It's impossible to respond to each and every post on a long thread. I chose one aspect to comment on.

Except that none of the people in this long thread said they were poor and couldn't afford to buy a passport. Not in posts 4, 11, 15, 17, 20 or any other posts. But hey, if you want to belive they did, knock yourself out.

Edited by zekekelso

1. I refer you to posts # 4, 11, 15, 17, 20 on just page one of this thread.
  2. What I said was not a lie.
  3. It's impossible to respond to each and every post on a long thread. I chose one aspect to comment on.
  4. I understand why some people budget carefully and choose not to get a passport - that's their choice and I'm not telling them what to do.
  5. However, as someone from a country where passports cost a similar amount to the USA, but only last 5 years ( so, effectively, cost double the USA price), I still say that the argument that passports cost too much does not wash with me.

If you want to travel outside of your country you do not have a choice but to pay for a passport, no matter what it costs. The cost is automatically a cost you need to include in your travel budget. In our country it is not a requirement for closed loop cruises. If that cost, that is not required, makes a closed loop cruise too expensive for a family then it will definately be an excuse that washes with them. You can't use that excuse whether you wanted to or not to get out of purchasing a passport so of course its not going to wash with you. We can, so it will for certain families....

Edited by Warm Breezes

Thank you.

That is just what I wanted to know.

That's a substantial list and most should be able to provide adequate proof from those choices.

I wonder though....... IF utility bills are in DH's name but we live at same address, would they accept an electric bill from me if the bill is in his name?

Thanks again.

Not to my knowledge, but maybe it's just me. Had to have my name on it. DW and I both went one time together and used our mortgage statement together and started to hassle me about, which is why nobody likes the MVC.

I read the link to the NJ MVC website about being born after 1965 Hudson County BC's are excepted however they won't take mine, 1970, because parents names are not on it, making my BC not an official form of ID. Not only at the MVC but other government offices I've been to.

I'm sure there is a good mixture of both on these boards. IMHO it really doesn't matter why someone chooses to get one or not. We each have a choice and make a decision based on our own travel needs and risk/value analysis. My reasons are not your reasons and my decision may or may not agree with yours. It doesn't matter as we are allowed to make different decisions.

Wow. What a controversial statement!

The reason people post on these threads is to express their different opinions. That's what makes the world go round.

As for those that talk about cost, it comes to about $10 average per year per person. So if you cut back on 1-2 drinks on a cruise, you have it covered.

Simple

Wow. What a controversial statement!

The reason people post on these threads is to express their different opinions. That's what makes the world go round.

As for those that talk about cost, it comes to about $10 average per year per person. So if you cut back on 1-2 drinks on a cruise, you have it covered.

Simple

Not sure what you find so controversial. The facts are US citizens have the right to choose whether or not they purchase a passport for closed loop cruises. It shouldn't matter to anyone else why they choose to do so or not...it is their right to choose. It is their money to spend on whatever they choose to spend it on. Simple as that.

Edited by Warm Breezes