Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

My glamorous Aunt Barbara told me when I was young, "Darling, always have a passport ready in case someone wants to whisk you off to Paris." I got my first passport when I was in high school just in case. I haven't been whisked off to Paris, but I did get a last minute invite to Madrid that I would have had to turn down had I had to wait for a passport.

While my Mom doesn't travel much, I urged my parents to follow her sister's advice and get passports. Several years later, while traveling in South America, my usually healthy self got very ill and was hospitalized. My mom was packing her bag before she had hung up the phone. This then 40 year old was never so glad to see his mommy. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: This is just my experience that was written with no judgement for anyone. We all have our own opinions on this topic and I just wanted to weigh in and maybe lighten the tone of this thread.

Happy Journeys to EVERYONE!

Thanks for sharing your experience. It just goes to show how everyones travel needs are different. You had the flexibility to be able to be swept off at the last minute to a foreign country so that benefit was of value to you. Your parents had a child in a foreign country so that was risk that made having a passport of value to them. Some of us don't have that flexibility and my kids haven't given a though to doing international travel other than our closed loop cruises.

The risk that did get DH and I to get passports was leaving on a cruise in October for the first time without our kids and them being home alone for the first time. They are 16 and 19. DD just took her first solo drive after getting her license Monday. I'm not ready to leave them home, as new drivers, without taking all necessary steps to make sure I can get home to them as quickly as possible. That made having a passport of value to us. Before it wasn't of value to us and we cruised 9 times without issues without it. It's still not of value to my kids. Their risks did not change so I did not get them passports even though we are cruising together in August. As US citizens we have that flexibility to choose based on our own travel needs....I don't get why some posters have such a hard time understanding and accepting that concept.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Cruise ships don't hold passports from Brit's either, when we've 'checked in' for cruises, flights, hotels, car hire etc - we have always had our passports returned.

Travel insurance is legalised gambling, if the insurance companies can find someway of not paying out they will. Surely if you are insuring a cruise and you have the correct documentation to travel on that cruise, if something untoward was to occur and you get stranded through no fault of yours on foreign soil without a passport they're still obliged to cover you?

Next time any of you travelling 'sans passport' take out insurance maybe you should ask that specific question.

I know that I've read my specific policy several times and do not see any language that would exclude coverage in that event or that would result in a denial for missing embarkation.

Most travel insurers will not pay a claim that arises because the traveler did not have the proper travel documents.

DL + BC is proper travel documents for a closed loop cruise (which is the thing being insured.)

Edited by zekekelso

An insurance company will likely try to minimize their expenses. I can see one saying here is your ticket to the next port and vouchers for a hotel and meals. Have fun.

If the next port is foriegn and you don't have a passport, too bad.

I am not sure an insurance company would do this, but it is not inconceivable to me.

?.. Surely if you are insuring a cruise and you have the correct documentation to travel on that cruise, if something untoward was to occur and you get stranded through no fault of yours on foreign soil without a passport they're still obliged to cover you?...
Only if the 'something untoward' is a covered event as defined by the policy. Medical emergency, stranded taxi or train, that sort of thing qualifies under most policies.

If your trip is interrupted (which, again, is defined by each policy) then usually you are covered for the cost of a one-way coach ticket to return home or rejoin your trip, up to the policy limits which typically are a maximum of 150% of the total insured cost. It would be up to you to pay for the passport to be able to take the flight. Most policies will cover a small per diem to assist with hotel and food costs while waiting, but it is usually on the order of $100 max per day for up to $500 total. Last minute flights are quite expensive, as are most hotel and food costs in tourist areas. The traveler would have to pay for these items up front and then seek insurance reimbursement.

Thanks for all the opinions and posts. Many of you seem very passionate about the subject.

I guess I am still on the "PRO" side of getting a passport as I think its safer to have them, and it allows me more flexibility on where I can cruise and travel in general.

Signed... The OP

Thanks for all the opinions and posts. Many of you seem very passionate about the subject.

I guess I am still on the "PRO" side of getting a passport as I think its safer to have them, and it allows me more flexibility on where I can cruise and travel in general.

Signed... The OP

Thanks for coming back and commenting on your decision.

Certainly having a passport is safer and does make it easier if you decide to cruise to other parts of the world. We have been fortunate to sail to all the continents except Antarctica, so our passports are well used.

DL + BC is proper travel documents for a closed loop cruise (which is the thing being insured.)

Yes, a closed loop cruise.

If you do not board at scheduled embarkation port, you have broken the terms of closed loop cruise. While everyone else who boarded as scheduled can travel their closed loop on the DL and BC, you cannot because you did not present yourself at the port in time.

You are no longer sailing a closed loop, therefore, you need other travel document.

Yes, a closed loop cruise.

If you do not board at scheduled embarkation port, you have broken the terms of closed loop cruise. While everyone else who boarded as scheduled can travel their closed loop on the DL and BC, you cannot because you did not present yourself at the port in time.

You are no longer sailing a closed loop, therefore, you need other travel document.

7seas - you make a valid point, but I have come to the conclusion that the closed-loop-bc-dl advocates will never acknowledge that their economizing might carry any measurable risk. It seems comparable to motorcyclists in Connecticut who refuse to wear helmets because they are allowed to ride without protection..

7seas - you make a valid point, but I have come to the conclusion that the closed-loop-bc-dl advocates will never acknowledge that their economizing might carry any measurable risk. It seems comparable to motorcyclists in Connecticut who refuse to wear helmets because they are allowed to ride without protection..

Apples to Oranges. I'm willing to bet the odds of needing a passport on a closed loop cruise is much lower than the risk a motorcyclist takes in refusing to wear a helmet....not only that, but much less dangerous:rolleyes:.

I'm not sure what you are reading to come to the conclusion that the BC crowd will never acknowledge there is a risk.

Most have gone so far as to say they know the risk and will deal with the consequences when and if they arise.

Bill

I have come to the conclusion that you read only what you want to read;) because most of the people advocating for choice state that they are willing to accept the small risk involved by choosing to use a birth certificate/drivers license.

Nothing in my travel policy leads me to conclude that it would be interpreted the way 7seas asserts that it will be and for an insurance company to deny coverage the exclusion must be clearly stated in the policy.

I'm glad you said this. As for bike helmets, I have always advocated that sometimes the government knows better about people's safety than people themselves, who choose to take risks they shouldn't be taking.

I don't give a rodent's rump whether or not a motorcyclist wears a helmet, but I do care when they don't and my tax dollars are used for their hospitalization and rehabilitation as a result of their bad choices. :eek:

I don't give a rodent's rump whether or not a motorcyclist wears a helmet, but I do care when they don't and my tax dollars are used for their hospitalization and rehabilitation as a result of their bad choices. :eek:

As opposed to this ridiculous passport debate. If someone is stranded in some other country without a passport, we don't pick up the tab. It is their decision and their problem.

7seas - you make a valid point, but I have come to the conclusion that the closed-loop-bc-dl advocates will never acknowledge that their economizing might carry any measurable risk.

How is it possible that could come to that conclusion? In this thread alone you've got post after post after post from people acknowledging the risk.

1. Did you not read those posts?

2. If you did, do you lack a basic understand of English and what the words in those posts meant?

3. If you read, and if you understand English, should we conclude that you are purposely saying insulting things because you love being a jerk to people and getting them riled up?

Are there any other possibilities?

I have come to the conclusion that you read only what you want to read;) because most of the people advocating for choice state that they are willing to accept the small risk involved by choosing to use a birth certificate/drivers license.

Nothing in my travel policy leads me to conclude that it would be interpreted the way 7seas asserts that it will be and for an insurance company to deny coverage the exclusion must be clearly stated in the policy.

Please share with us the name of that insurer. If they are liberal in that regard, they likely have better terms for other issues in their policies than other insurers.

You'd be doing us a service to tell us this more accomodating company.

Thanks.

Please share with us the name of that insurer. If they are liberal in that regard, they likely have better terms for other issues in their policies than other insurers.

You'd be doing us a service to tell us this more accomodating company.

Thanks.

Travel Guard.

You only know that value of having a passport, when the need for a passport arises. Yes, chances are you may go through your entire life and never need one. It's just like insurance, you may never need it, but you really only discover it's full value if you are unfortunate enough to need it.

Rest assured that your federal and state tax dollars ARE used not only for hospitalization and rehab, but for life long community supports.

Rest assured that your federal and state tax dollars ARE used not only for hospitalization and rehab, but for life long community supports.

You bet they are...

I do wonder how many of the BC travelers are also cash ( no credit card) only also?

You bet they are...

I do wonder how many of the BC travelers are also cash ( no credit card) only also?

Another assumption to put down...on our 9 cruises using our bc and dl we always used our credit card. A credit card that we purchase all our expeditures on during the month and pay off in full when the monthly bill comes. I will have over $500 in spending money from our rewards points for our August cruise. Any other assumptions you'd like to through out there?

With my family of four, each person got a passport during a different month so we didn't incur the expense all at once. My sister went the cheaper way and only got the passport cards, now she is wishing she spent the extra money to go for the full passport.