All Things Legend of the Seas (Post Revitalization)

Thanks for posting.... you will be sailing before me..... if there's a chance you could take a pic for me and post it here on your return that would be wonderful.

I plan to do a long review with pics of everything I can get pics of when we get back. The Legend will not have been in the US for a long time. I think there will be people that will be interested in the ship. I would suspect there will be some activities and aspects of the ship that will change between Europe sand USA.

I know on a recent repo cruise on the Grandeur between the Latin American cruises and Baltimore, many changes took place.

Thank you for this information - this is what I've been looking for online. It has answered my questions about dinning options and laundry arrangements with the refurb.

Looking forward to LOS September - less than 90 days now.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our traveling companions had one of the inside --sideways-- cabins on grandeur. [Legend's sister ship]

Though there are 6 ships in the Vision class, only the Splendour of the Seas is a sister ship to the Legend. The other four are larger, and laid out differently. Information about one of them may not pertain to the Legend.

Though there are 6 ships in the Vision class, only the Splendour of the Seas is a sister ship to the Legend. The other four are larger, and laid out differently. Information about one of them may not pertain to the Legend.

That is true. I looked at the Legend plan and noted that there were many less of the sideways cabins. But, my comment was more about what a sideways inside cabin is.

Hi all!

Just back from a wonderful cruise/vacation. I will try to begin writing and posting my review in the next few days. In the mean time, if anyone has any questions while everything is still fresh in my head, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

A short summary: the weather most mostly good -- hot before we left in Rome, became a little windy in France, and a little choppy on the water one or two nights, but mostly wonderful excursion weather (not too hot). Rome & Barcelona are beautiful cities, enjoyed all the othe cities (although ups and downs to the excusions themselves). The Legend of the Seas itself was wonderful - exceptional room steward (Richard) and MDR wait-staff (Virgil & Anthony (who was better than excellent) [after a poor experience with a different wait duo the first night] -- the breakfast staff was also great, but the staff in the WJ fell below expectations. Food was good to very good in the MDR with some dishes failing horribly, and the Windjammer was average to abover average at best (of course this is all subjective). Chosing MTD over normal seating was pretty much a waste. My DDs had fabulous times in Ocean Adventure and Teen Club. To my surprise there was some fantastic entertainment (also subjective) with a violinist one night, acrobatists another night, and a Motown singing group on another -- not to mention a beautiful aerial performance above the centrum. Last, but not least, I have to mention all of the really amazing people that we met during the cruise (including a very nice young couple from Singapore that bought my DD a fan).

As you can see by my "summary" that my full review will be very long and detailed. I will also try to include much of the review from the perspective of taking kids / teenagers to Europe and on a Mediterranean cruise - from planning to the actual experiences.

Once I begin to post the review, I will post the link on this thread.

Cheers,

Travel R

my husband i are traveling on legend of the seas. we booked 6562 and according to the web site the cabin has a balcony e2 categry. but whrn we looked at the ship on line that deck does not have balcony. we called rccl to verify and the told us its a statrroom with balcony,but all we saw where ocean view. can anybody help us. we are very confused. any info would be much appreciated. than you.

my husband i are traveling on legend of the seas. we booked 6562 and according to the web site the cabin has a balcony e2 categry. but whrn we looked at the ship on line that deck does not have balcony. we called rccl to verify and the told us its a statrroom with balcony,but all we saw where ocean view. can anybody help us. we are very confused. any info would be much appreciated. than you.

I see the stateroom as an E2 balcony. What do you mean "when we looked at the ship on line"? Where did you look?

I see that, just wondering if the poster was looking at some other site that didn't show 6562 as an E2 balcony.

The only thing I can see that my be confusing is that the website is missing the words "private balcony" in the description paragraph. However, farther down in the description it does mention that the balcony is 39 sq feet.

EDIT: If you click on the link "Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom", you get to a page that says balcony:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/cabin/home.do?shipCode=LG&cabincls=B&cabinType=DO&br=R&deckCode=MR&shipName=Legend+Of+The+Seas++++++++++++&cabinTypeName=Deluxe+Ocean+View+Stateroom

Edited by clarea

Prior to the Legend's refurb. earlier this year, all cabins on Deck 6 were oceanview (no balconies). Part of the refurb. included 'adding' balconies on that deck. You are undoubtedly looking at a picture taken before the refurb. Happy sailing and enjoy your balcony!!

Hi all!

Just back from a wonderful cruise/vacation. I will try to begin writing and posting my review in the next few days. In the mean time, if anyone has any questions while everything is still fresh in my head, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

A short summary: the weather most mostly good -- hot before we left in Rome, became a little windy in France, and a little choppy on the water one or two nights, but mostly wonderful excursion weather (not too hot). Rome & Barcelona are beautiful cities, enjoyed all the othe cities (although ups and downs to the excusions themselves). The Legend of the Seas itself was wonderful - exceptional room steward (Richard) and MDR wait-staff (Virgil & Anthony (who was better than excellent) [after a poor experience with a different wait duo the first night] -- the breakfast staff was also great, but the staff in the WJ fell below expectations. Food was good to very good in the MDR with some dishes failing horribly, and the Windjammer was average to abover average at best (of course this is all subjective). Chosing MTD over normal seating was pretty much a waste. My DDs had fabulous times in Ocean Adventure and Teen Club. To my surprise there was some fantastic entertainment (also subjective) with a violinist one night, acrobatists another night, and a Motown singing group on another -- not to mention a beautiful aerial performance above the centrum. Last, but not least, I have to mention all of the really amazing people that we met during the cruise (including a very nice young couple from Singapore that bought my DD a fan).

As you can see by my "summary" that my full review will be very long and detailed. I will also try to include much of the review from the perspective of taking kids / teenagers to Europe and on a Mediterranean cruise - from planning to the actual experiences.

Once I begin to post the review, I will post the link on this thread.

Cheers,

Travel R

I am so happy that you enjoyed the trip-and that your girls really liked their clubs. My kids were so impressed with the staff members in the clubs on Legend :D

If you want to see what you are getting, there are several photos of the deck 6 refurbished balcony staterooms in my blog entry, here:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/2013/06/boarding-legend-wait-for-it-of-seas.html

I am so happy that you enjoyed the trip-and that your girls really liked their clubs. My kids were so impressed with the staff members in the clubs on Legend :D

Hadley:

It was an amazing trip. The kids would definately go cruising again -- even if they did not stop at any ports along the way. There were a number of other kids/teens from the US and Australia that they both became friends with -- and as parents it was hard dealing wth the times they would choose their friends over their parents - and allowing my teenage DD to stay out late (a lot later than she would ever be allowed to at home). The day after we all got home my teenager was already in communication with her new friends via the Internet.

With great reviews like yours and others on your recent Legend of the Seas trips, it is a bit intimidating to try to write my own review. I have come back to a ton of work (for my job), but will hopefully begin to post the beginning of my review by the end of this coming weekend.

I would LOVE to see pictures of what was added to Legend! PLEASE???? PRETTY PLEASE??;)

Hadley, so appreciated seeing your Link! Thanks!!

For a great post-revitalization pictoral review of the Legend of the Seas, see Iluvcruising2's review thread at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1813495 -- there is not much of the ship he did not take a picture of.

Edited by Travel R

Thanks Travel R! I will TRY to be more patient!: Unfortunately even if I wait 5 minutes... the rest of the pictures won't load... I'll try to look at a different place... THANKS Travel R!!

Edited by Gabrielle R.

FYI - on a recent review of the Legend, a member states that the WJ was crowded during lunch (and it was), however, the member also mentioned that people from the ports were allowed onto the ship to try it out for the day - and they had special stickers to distinquish themselves. The member is incorrect - the stickers are for those of us that went on RCI excursions and forgot to take them off after returning to the ship. And as an aside, if you took an RCI excursion, in most cities where they had a shuttle into the city, the sticker allowed you to use the shuttle for free. For example, we took the Barcelona City tour through RCI in the morning, but instead of going back to the ship, got off near the shuttle stop which was near Las Ramblas - so we spent the afternoon on Las Ramblas and then took the RCI shuttle back to the ship later that day (more details when I post my review).

FYI - on a recent review of the Legend, a member states that the WJ was crowded during lunch (and it was), however, the member also mentioned that people from the ports were allowed onto the ship to try it out for the day - and they had special stickers to distinquish themselves. The member is incorrect - the stickers are for those of us that went on RCI excursions and forgot to take them off after returning to the ship. And as an aside, if you took an RCI excursion, in most cities where they had a shuttle into the city, the sticker allowed you to use the shuttle for free. For example, we took the Barcelona City tour through RCI in the morning, but instead of going back to the ship, got off near the shuttle stop which was near Las Ramblas - so we spent the afternoon on Las Ramblas and then took the RCI shuttle back to the ship later that day (more details when I post my review).

In defense of the poster you are referring to in their review--one OUR cruise there were round number stickers for passengers who were on excursions, but other stickers that said "visitor" for those in groups visiting from shore. These seemed to be primarily travel agents but in some cases they were allowed to bring their families--including children of all ages; we talked to a few. Smaller groups had badges, but large groups had stickers. So--it is very possible you are BOTH right ;)

Edited by NHDisneylover

Washing and Ironing Question

We're flying from Australia to the Mediterranean, so will have limited luggage and will need to wear clothes multiple times. I have read that there isn't a public laundry on board. From your information, we would need to pay for washing/ ironing per piece - it will all be creased after the flight. How do experienced cruisers manage this - bring a travelling iron....? Any suggestions would be welcomed, we're on our 60 day countdown!

We're flying from Australia to the Mediterranean, so will have limited luggage and will need to wear clothes multiple times. I have read that there isn't a public laundry on board. From your information, we would need to pay for washing/ ironing per piece - it will all be creased after the flight. How do experienced cruisers manage this - bring a travelling iron....? Any suggestions would be welcomed, we're on our 60 day countdown!

Irons are not permitted on board. You can send items to be pressed.

Laundry prices here : http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/LaundryPriceList.pdf

Leave your iron at home, they are not allowed on board......

We buy a lot of clothes that are easy to drip dry and roll up etc. Some use tissue paper or dry cleaner bags inside folded or rolled up clothes to diminish the creases.

For Pants-

I tend to fold pants by starting lower in the suit case and have the legs hang over the outside of the suit case. I alternate so some legs on RT and LT side of the case. I have mesh zipped laundry bags I bought at a Dollar type store which I fold better items inside. I put the bag or bags in the suit case on top of the waist bands of the pants and then fold the legs of the pants over top. Works well.

Because most clothes we have do not crease very much, they are fine hanging in the closet. The creases pretty well fall out.

We hand wash under ware and some tee shirts etc. and drip dry them in the shower. Works well, if you don't wring out the items. Just let them drip dry from the wash. You can bring some liquid laundry soap or pack some laundry powder.

Otherwise, wear your creases proudly and not worry about it. Everyone else had to fly too, unless they were lucky to drive there.:D

Edited by CVU

Irons are not permitted on Royal Caribbean for good reason, they are a fire hazard. I use a combination of hand washing and using the cleaning services on the ship. All my day ware can be hand washed and most others only need laundered and pressed. Royal Caribbean also has a clean and fold service but nothing is pressed. This service is good for anything you don't mind is a little wrinkled like pj's, socks, t-shirts, and similar items.

Males can use the tux service on the ship that is handy if you want to reduce your packing. Besides the tux they also furnish shirts. If you want to do this I would suggest you do it before leaving to be sure the alterations are done before you arrive. If you do it that way your tux will be in your closet when you get to your room. https://tuxedorentals.rccl.com/tuxedo/tuxrental.nsf

Shak