All Things Legend of the Seas (Post Revitalization)

Mini Fridge

There is a Mini Fridge in your stateroom. Prices are generally higher than other places on the ship for the same items (e.g., can of soda)

You can ask your cabin steward to remove the items from the fridge at the beginning of the cruise

Is this true ? On Splendour last week there was no mini fridge in our balcony room. ( Doing outside in January - do they have a mini fridge ? )

A good stout would be fantastic. Guiness is a little weak but in the ballpark. For the life of me, I can't recall what brands they carried but not remembering either means I am getting older or there were none available to my liking.

boddingtons and guiness. I do not remember if they were on draft or tin/bottle

latter i think.:):)

THANKS!!! The darker the beer (Stout ) the better!

May be a subject for another great thread... Name the beers served (or wish was served). Boddingtons may be being served while in Europe. Definitely don't recall that on any ships out of the US. Do they even have a stout? Nothing better than a good Stout with a light dinner.

Mini Fridge

There is a Mini Fridge in your stateroom. Prices are generally higher than other places on the ship for the same items (e.g., can of soda)

You can ask your cabin steward to remove the items from the fridge at the beginning of the cruise

Is this true ? On Splendour last week there was no mini fridge in our balcony room. ( Doing outside in January - do they have a mini fridge ? )

There is a mini fridge in the category D balcony staterooms, but they did not install them in the new category Es.

Someone posed a question that I was unable to answer on another thread about the Legend. They asked about the on-screen access to your account or to view/change excursions from the TV set in your stateroom. I did not see that function during our cruise. I want to see if the feature is not available, or did I just not see it?

ICYSYS, in another thread has some insight on the iPad (in each stateroom) question:

Hi. I've been trying to find info on this for our upcoming Legend cruise.

All the Vision class ships were meant to have iPads installed in every stateroom during their revitalizations (Completed by 2014).

Unfortunately iPad rollout appears to have been scrapped. They are only available in select suite staterooms.

They are currently swapped out for a fresh one that has been 'refreshed' at the end of each cruise. This is done to ensure any photos or changes made by the previous guest aren't seen by the next guest.

While this operation is sufficient for now, it is reported that the cruise line wants to eliminate offering iPads and instead develop apps for guest use that will work on ALL devices, including iPads, Kindles and Android.

I guess this makes more sense.

Royal Caribbean Blog iPad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "offical" reviews are very subjective (yes, even my own). I have continued to read of other passenger's adventures on the Legend in the Med. Many were good, and some were not, however, the last person to post one (see http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=226720) listed their gripes, and most could have been avoided by performing a little research on CC (they obviously were able to find it to post their review) -- and in some case, bringing their dissatisfaction to the attention of someone early in the cruise, so they could enjoy their vacation, instead of complaining about it afterwards when it will not do them much good.

I am not trying to pick on them since everyone sees things differently, but below are a copy of thier gripes and my responses to each. I guess I am defensive after having such a great cruise and them finishing off their review with "I would not recommend this cruise based on our experiences and will stick to NCL next time!"

Gripes:

1) Bottled wate at dinner - $5 for a litre but they will bring tap water for free but you have to ask! Once bitten!

- - - -> Search prior to the cruise on CC or even on the RCi site itself would have shown that a water package is available - or prices for bottled water on the ship (is it free o rmuch cheaper on NCL?).

2) A blinking telephone light in suite - We were not given password and and did not have a clue that our passcode was simply to put in our cabin number.Guest Services could not help. In the end it blinked the whole cruise!

- - - - > The room steward could have helped (were they asked?). It is a shame that customer service did not know the answer or that they did not tell you they would find the answer and get back to you. However, were any other people asked (e.g., front desk)? But a grood reason for posting this question, since the answer (use your room number as the password) has not been addressed on this particular thread.

3) Limited and Expensive excursions

- - - - > Could be avoided doing some research - or reading some of our reviews for that ship and itinerary. If you cruise the Caribbean, Med excursions on RCI are a lot more expensive on average, but a little research could have been performed pre-cruise to find the ones that work for you, to find private tours that may be cheaper, or determine if you could enjoy the ports DIY.

4) Exepensive Shuttle Buses - 300% mark-up!

- - - - > Once again, research would have provided a list of all the transportation options available. Also note, you could have used the RCI shuttle many times throughout the day the RCI shuttle was unlimitted, so you could go back and forth as many times as you would like. I cannot remember the price of the shuttle, but I think it was $18 US -- but you also have to compare the price in dollars to dollars -- 7 Euros (roundtrip) is $10.50 US -- which is a good 40% markup, but it stopped right in front of the ship and you did not have to worry about getting on the wrong bus.

5) Luke warm food in main dining room.

- - - - > I did not experience this, so I cannot dissagree, but maybe I had faster waiters? Although, a complaint on the first night would have brought hotter foods on subsequent evenings.

6) Average to poor quality shows/entertainment.

- - - - > This is subjective, but I felt the entertainment was better than most cruises I have been on before. However, it is possible that all of the guest performers that I had on my itinerary were different.

7) Milk not chilled or stored in the open for long periods!

- - - - > I did not have milk, but my kids never complained when having milk with breakfast (glass or with cereal).

8) No shower gel in staterooms!

- - - - > You only get the combined stuff on the wall in a D1 stateroom (they listed the cabin category on the top of their review as D1)

9) No fridge in staterooms as promised at time of booking.

- - - - > I think the reviewer was confused as to their stateroom category. They refer to it as "a balcony suite," they list it as a category D1 on the review, but they also stated that it is room #6036 (which is a category E). Category E rooms do not have a fridge.

10)No irons allowed on board and pressing service was $3 to $6 per item plus tip etc - Making formal evenings very expensive!

- - - - > Prior research for any RCI ship would have indicated such - this has been the rule for a long time.

11)Shows/film/dining all over-laped and so something always had to give!

- - - - > I agree with this one, as I mentioned in my own review, the scheduling of some of the activities/events was not thought out very well (e.g., 6:15 family activities, when most families with young kids have 6:30 seating for dinner). Although if they had 6:30 dining reservations, they should have been able to make the evening outdoor movies (but it would have conflicted with a show).

12)Pool temp very cold and hot tub temp very hot!

- - - - > Temperature of the water can be subjective -- but you probably knew beforehand that the pools are not heated -- also research would have found that the temperature of the water in the Solarium pool was more moderate because it was indoors (are the outdoor pools on NCL or Princess heated?).

And my own gripe about these reviews is when people provide a low rating for an item that they do not explain. For instance, they gave 2 stars for "Family & Children Age 13-15" - yet did not mention anything about it in their reiview. They are entitled to give whatever mark they would like, but I would like to hear why only 2 stars, especially after my own DD13's experience only two months ago was 5+ stars.

To be fair, it was not a complete knock-down of the Legend, the reviewer did have a few good things to say. What is interesting is that most of the items they list as their good points would have been low priority on my list I guess this goes to show that everyone cruises differently - and maybe it was just not a bad cruise, it was just not the type of cruie they enjoy.

Good Points:

1) Breakfast in Windjammer

2) Activities in Centrum area - even better if advertised propoerly - we missed quiet a few.

3) Sauna/steam rooms always empty.

4) Excellent fresh lemonade

5) Excellent sugar free ice creams in dining room only

6) Excellent Staff in dinning rooms, cafes and staterooms

• 3 weeks later...

Greeting, does the Legend now designate a special area to serve breakfast for suite guests? I know we could always eat breakfast at the concierge lounge, but on the Grandeur, we have the additional option of having our breakfast served at the Chops. And on the Vision, a sumptuous area of the Aquarius was reserved for breakfast for suite guests. Does the Legend have similar setup? Thanks for your help in advance.

Greeting again, also, did they modernize the regular baby grand piano to a player piano during the revitalization? We are trying to decide whether we should bring some discs with us in case they upgraded it to a player piano during drydock. Thanks!

Greeting again, also, did they modernize the regular baby grand piano to a player piano during the revitalization? We are trying to decide whether we should bring some discs with us in case they upgraded it to a player piano during drydock. Thanks!

Greeting, does the Legend now designate a special area to serve breakfast for suite guests? I know we could always eat breakfast at the concierge lounge, but on the Grandeur, we have the additional option of having our breakfast served at the Chops. And on the Vision, a sumptuous area of the Aquarius was reserved for breakfast for suite guests. Does the Legend have similar setup? Thanks for your help in advance.

Sorry, we were not in a suite, but hopefully a suite guest reading this thread could help out with an answer.

There is a Gold Card area, deck 5, Port Side, for breakfast and lunch on sea days. It was generally not open for lunch on port days. The service was excellent. (9/9 to 9/30)

People in a Junior Suite do not get Gold Cards. Only Grand Suite and above, and Pinnacle C&A.

Jim

There is a Gold Card area, deck 5, Port Side, for breakfast and lunch on sea days. It was generally not open for lunch on port days. The service was excellent. (9/9 to 9/30)

People in a Junior Suite do not get Gold Cards. Only Grand Suite and above, and Pinnacle C&A.

Jim

Thank you for this information. :)

Just got off the Legend and stayed in the suite 8500. The piano discs did not work and they thought it was maybe the disc player. Never did get it to work. Also, beware that this room is very noisy. (As were all the suites below the windjammer) Rolling carts and squeaky doors woke us up very early in the morning. I even used ear plugs but could still hear the noise. It was very irritating. The concierge acted surprised about the noise. Also, the back jets in the whirlpool tub would not stay in the tub sockets. There was also a faint sewer smell in the tub/shower room. Hopefully they get these fixed before you go. Otherwise the room is beautiful.

Just got off the Legend and stayed in the suite 8500. The piano discs did not work and they thought it was maybe the disc player. Never did get it to work. Also, beware that this room is very noisy. (As were all the suites below the windjammer) Rolling carts and squeaky doors woke us up very early in the morning. I even used ear plugs but could still hear the noise. It was very irritating. The concierge acted surprised about the noise. Also, the back jets in the whirlpool tub would not stay in the tub sockets. There was also a faint sewer smell in the tub/shower room. Hopefully they get these fixed before you go. Otherwise the room is beautiful.

Hello topcruiser16, thank you for your timely and detailed information about the issues in the Royal Suite. I am sending Larissa an email to reiterate the concern with the noise, the malfunctioning of the disc playing function of the baby grand, the unstable back jets in the jacuzzi as well as the faint unpleasant odor in the tub/shower room.

Just double checking - is Larissa still the current concierge?

Many thanks again.

Jim

Thank you for your info. Out of 4 cruises on RCL vision class since last November, we have always had Gold Cards. In fact, we have never stayed in any other suites but Royal Suite 8500.

Edited by Kinofdc

Hello topcruiser16, thank you for your timely and detailed information about the issues in the Royal Suite. I am sending Larissa an email to reiterate the concern with the noise, the malfunctioning of the disc playing function of the baby grand, the unstable back jets in the jacuzzi as well as the faint unpleasant odor in the tub/shower room.

Just double checking - is Larissa still the current concierge?

Many thanks again.

Yes, Larissa is the concierge.

Enjoy your stay in 8500. It was still amazing to be in that room. Take ear plugs with you. By the way, our bathroom wasn't the only one to have an unpleasant odor. They were working on fixing the plumbing. As a matter of fact, the water was off for a day because of a broken pipe somewhere on the ship.