We is there a retractable roof on the solarium?

Why bother making it retractable if it is never open??

Has anybody ever seem one open on Vision or Radiance class ships?

That's why I hold back sailing the Caribbean on them. It's so annoying. If its gorgeous outside, open the freakin roof!!!

Nope....and we had wonderful weather, but they NEVER opened the roof on any Radiance class ship we've been on. Very frustrating. No tanning with the roof closed, so you're sort of forced onto the crowded main pool deck. I prefer Voyager/Freedom class just for that reason!

It was open on one of our Jewel cruises while we were in Cozumel, but they couldn't get it closed when the weather turned on our way to Costa Maya. I expect they are an engineering/maintenance nightmare:(

We have seen them open on several occasions. Personally, the heat and humidity can make the Solarium unbearable when the roof is open and we normally prefer it to be closed to preserve a climate-controlled environment. The outside pool is only steps away for those who prefer the heat and humidity and I have seen no evidence that the glass roof filters out the harmful rays that promote sunburn and tanning and increase the prospect of skin cancer.

Why bother making it retractable if it is never open??

Has anybody ever seem one open on Vision or Radiance class ships?

That's why I hold back sailing the Caribbean on them. It's so annoying. If its gorgeous outside, open the freakin roof!!!

Here ya go. This was the Brilliance last month. It was sunny and hot. We were stopped in St Croix.

amps2g.jpg

35lw6ee.jpg

Nope....and we had wonderful weather, but they NEVER opened the roof on any Radiance class ship we've been on. Very frustrating. No tanning with the roof closed, so you're sort of forced onto the crowded main pool deck. I prefer Voyager/Freedom class just for that reason!

Same here.

Yes, but what about sailing out of Baltimore, Boston, or a north-route TA? That's when a closed Solarium is great, not to mention rainy days. Also, I'm guessing that on a ship like Voyager-class the Solarium sunning area only adds about 20% extra area.

And, yes, seen the roof on both Enchantment and Grandeur open multiple times.

On a related topic to roof-opening, I remember that the Solarium pool on Grandeur, and maybe some others, has a bubble feature that is seldom used.

No tanning with the roof closed, so you're sort of forced onto the crowded main pool deck.

You may, and constantly do, make that claim but what scientific evidence do you have to back it up? Sail out of Alaska. some European ports, or a north east US port in less than ideal weather and you would be happy that they can control the climate and you needn't wait for days until you can comfortably use the solarium pool.

You may, and constantly do, make that claim but what scientific evidence do you have to back it up? Sail out of Alaska. some European ports, or a north east US port in less than ideal weather and you would be happy that they can control the climate and you needn't wait for days until you can comfortably use the solarium pool.

And you, my friend, are not going to make the slightest impact on this issue.;)

I was in the Solarium on the Grandeur out of Panama last year and they opened the roof about mid-morning when it started to get stuffy in there (makes quite a loud grinding noise when it's in motion). Suddenly we had a marvelous cool breeze! It was awesome. Other times when I walked through it was alternately opened or closed. Maybe it depends on the ship -- but they certainly didn't seem to be having any mechanical issues with it.

It was? How can you remember that far back? ;) I didn't even notice! :D

Hi Carol!

I remember because it was the only ship we've been on that had the roof retracted. I took pictures of it while we were in the Solarium hot tub.

Maybe you didn't notice because you had too much of that Jack Daniels I got for you on the first week of my B2B. :D:eek::p

As a skin cancer survivor, I'm grateful for places like the solarium where I can enjoy a pool environment and be a bit more protected from the direct sun.

Not everybody wants to fry under the sun.

We enjoy the solarium very much as we normally sail out of Baltimore or Bayonne in November and we are not loosing 2 days of pool time due to the cold. We are surprised that not all ships that sail out of the NE do not have roofs over the solarium pools.

Archived