is it hard to substitute a cruiser?

dundeene

DH just finished with a career change earlier than expected. He is starting his new position now rather than late June as originally planned.

There is about a 50% chance he can not make our Oceania cruise in June.

He still wants me to go and take DD instead.

She is a college student and will not have to alter her plans to come along. She is excited about the possibility of seeing the Baltic for 14 days.

Has anyone ever had to change a reservation on Oceania before?

We paid air deviation and we are about 41 days before the sailing.

Any advice from someone who has experienced this with Oceania would be helpful.

Thank you

A few years ago I asked our TA about possibly replacing my husband on a cruise and his answer was that I could as long as we did so before the final payup date. For a June cruise, you must have hit that date already, no?

Best thing is to check with your TA or O rather than asking US. Because methinks you may have to beg ...

Mura

I emailed my TA this afternoon at 4:30 as soon as I found out. Unfortunately she is out of town:(

DH has a meeting tomorrow with his new boss, but expects since they want him to start earlier than planned, they will not want him gone 16 days in June.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

We met a couple 2 years ago who were replacing her parents. They had booked a penthouse. Mom got ill and couldn't travel. Daughter replaced her. Them dad got ill fairly last minute and husband replaced him. There was a charge to do it and I have no idea how much it was. Good luck.

Mo

Well my TA replied and said it isn't that big of a deal.

A new air deviance fee, a bit to re-ticket for the airline.

Not much of a penalty.

Much better than expected.

Thanks to Oceania for being customer focused as usual!

I now have correct information and Oceania charges the full penalty to substitute a family member when another is unable to make the cruise.

If my husband is unable to make our cruise in June because of his new job we will loose the full 75 % as if we cancelled.

I will have to pay that 75% back to Oceania again plus new port fees, new air deviation fee, new tax , and airline name change fees.

My $4000 cruise ticket for my husband now cost @$7000 for my daughter,

same cabin, same bed. . . . . same everything even the last name, address etc

I really can't see how this makes any sense at all. The fees that are beyond their control like airline fees $200 seem reasonable , but 75% of the cost of the cruise just to change the 1st name, middle initial and

passport #?????

We took 2 Oceania cruises in 2012, this one for 2013 and have 2 more booked for 2014.

I was so happy with Oceania as we are now at a point in life with both more time and finances that allow us to travel.

I would like to ask FDR if this is really fair compensation to Oceania for the time and work to simply change a few computer items like first name, birth date and passport number on our reservation.

I now have correct information and Oceania charges the full penalty to substitute a family member when another is unable to make the cruise.

If my husband is unable to make our cruise in June because of his new job we will loose the full 75 % as if we cancelled.

I will have to pay that 75% back to Oceania again plus new port fees, new air deviation fee, new tax , and airline name change fees.

I really can't see how this makes any sense at all. The fees that are beyond their control like airline fees $200 seem reasonable , but 75% of the cost of the cruise just to change the 1st name, middle initial and

passport #?????

We took 2 Oceania cruises in 2012, this one for 2013 and have 2 more booked for 2014.

I was so happy with Oceania as we are now at a point in life with both more time and finances that allow us to travel.

I would like to ask FDR if this is really fair compensation to Oceania for the time and work to simply change a few computer items like first name, birth date and passport number on our reservation.

You were misinformed at some point along the line.

We have substituted a passenger, with very little fuss (From Aunt Joan to Stan's Dad) Different everything.

Please check with Oceania again.

Jim and Stan I knew I could count on you for a reply with all your experience!

Unfortunately I did call Oceania directly and the rep quoted word for word and dollar for dollar what my TA has said.

I called immediately because the costs seemed so excessive!:confused:

passport #?????

This is where it can get unfair. A few years ago DW and I had Christmas cruise booked and fully paid for with a certain cruise line that shall remain nameless. Unfortunately we had to cancel due to a diagnosis made on DW which involved urgent attention. Too cut a long story short we forfeited 100% of our fare ($14,000) and had no re-course from our insurance company as they classified the diagnosis as a "pre existing condition" Attempts to seek re-dress from various authorities amounted to zero. So on top of the financial loss and the stress of the diagnosis it wasn't a fun time. Everything is in the fine print.

The worst part is that the cruise line got to re-sell our cabin and make double the income courtesy of our misfortune. I would only hope that O takes a more compassionate view to your predicament as the negative publicity far outweighs the financial gain.

Surfyachtie,

I am not trying to encourage bad publicity for Oceania. In the rare cases on this forum when it seems Oceania is "out of line" the company has repeatedly come through for the customer!

I am hopeful that Jim and Stan are correct and that the rep I spoke to (who identified himself as the same rep my TA had contacted) was wrong about the full cancellation fee being charged to substitute a family member.

I will keep my fingers crossed tonight and try again in the morning.

Surfyachtie,

I am not trying to encourage bad publicity for Oceania. In the rare cases on this forum when it seems Oceania is "out of line" the company has repeatedly come through for the customer!

I am hopeful that Jim and Stan are correct and that the rep I spoke to (who identified himself as the same rep my TA had contacted) was wrong about the full cancellation fee being charged to substitute a family member.

I will keep my fingers crossed tonight and try again in the morning.

I suggest you go to your insurance company for this hopefully it is covered..As far as I know Oceania will not let you name change unless it is a full cancel..

Jancruz1

Jancruz,

The job change must be a transfer of 250 miles or more to be covered by our trip insurance.

It is a great job change and after 27 years of the same thing, DH is happy about a new career path. (it would even mean more $ for cruises;)

I still cannot understand that a company known for service and value would have a policy that does not seem reasonable.

There are costs associated with changing the names on paperwork etc, but the fundamentals remain intact.

I booked a cabin and airfare for myself and a family member on a trip I still intend to take. I do not need to change anything other than 1st

and middle name, passport# and birthdate.

It actually seems like it would be much more trouble for Oceania to cancel everything and start over with a new cruiser.

Christine

If I go solo my understanding is that I still loose 75% of DH cuise fare plus all the airlines deviation cost etc, plus I have to pay for his empty bed at the full cost.

It seems so much easier to change everything from listing father's name to daughter's name. I hope there is some flexibility and room for common sense in this case.

DH is going to email the new company, but to ask off 16 days (even unpaid) before you even work your first day seems a bit of a risk. He starts May 13th.

I remain hopeful because when these things have come up on cruise critic before it seems Oceania's policy is to help keep the customer happy vs. being inflexible.

Anybody our there walk FDR's dog? It seems he is very concerned about returning customers and happy cruisers. Seeing his input on questions here on cruise critic is in a large part responsible for our choosing to cruise with Oceania.

My experience tells me it is what it is. O have every right to enforce their rules and as a corporate they probably will. I agree with OP that O sets a standard in their customer service as evidenced on these boards and is certainly one of the reasons they have such a loyal following. This is a great opportunity for them to show us once again how well they handle this one.Logic says to us all that it is unfair but without being on that side of the fence we cannot understand completely why these decisions are made.

Hopefully your DH can get the new employer to allow the time off

They changed the game by asking him to start earlier & disrupt your plans already in place

Another option might be to get permission to join the cruise later or leave the cruise a few days earlier & hope the new boss will go for a shorter time away

I have been there before & just explained I have my holiday booked & cannot cancel without a large monetary loss

As for O policies it is in the fine print which no one seems to read until it is too late ;)

How much would cost to change daughter's name to husband's name? I don't mean on the tickets, but rather a legal, albeit temporary change. Maybe a silly suggestion, but could it be an option?

You made me feel so much better! What a hilarious idea.

It seems between contacting his company and actually giving them the cost break-down we would incur from Oceania and reminding them that the original start dates was to happen after the cruise we may work this all out!

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. Everyone is always both honest and helpful. As this seems to be Oceania's position on substituting cruisers I am better informed for the future.

You made me feel so much better! What a hilarious idea.

It seems between contacting his company and actually giving them the cost break-down we would incur from Oceania and reminding them that the original start dates was to happen after the cruise we may work this all out!

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. Everyone is always both honest and helpful. As this seems to be Oceania's position on substituting cruisers I am better informed for the future.

If the new company really wants him to start early badly enough, they may offer compensation in the amount of your cruise fare loss. If not, they really should adjust the start time.. Good luck!

I must admit, without a reasonabe explanation, I'm shocked at this hard line by Oceania.

Hope you work it out! We had a similar situation with my husband's employer years ago and when he heard how much money we would lose, he sent us with his blessing. People are generally kind and understanding when informed of such things.

Can't wait to hear about the trip when you return!

Good luck!

I believe it is the same for all lines, that's why I fail to see why people have a great attraction to a particular line, when it comes to money it's the fine print.

Depending on when the change is made, some lines only charge $50 to change a name. Alot of them just require that one passenger's name on a reservation for a cabin stay the same. On some lines depending on what the terms are on the actual booking, passengers can rebook to later dates and incur a change fee. Many cruise lines offer a cancel for any reason insurance that covers part of the cancellation costs. So the devil is in the details and each are different.

In my opinion the standard cruise line policy of charging a 100% cancellation fee "penalty" constitutes an unlawful liquidated damage provision that some enterprising lawyer ought to seek to undo. Those of you who are lawyers will know that it is perfectly ok for parties to a contract to agree in advance on an amount of damages one may suffer in the case of a breach especially when it may be difficult to calculate the exact amount of damage, but the law requires the liquidated amount to have some rational relationship with the supposed actual loss. Ships seldom sail with an empty cabin. Ships do not lose anywhere near the amount of their cancellation "penalties" when the penalty is a substantial % of the price and especially when entire the cruise price is forfeited. The law abhors a forfeiture. Penalties unrelated to actual damages for a breach of contract are not permitted.

Cabins are turned over many times before they are finally sold so cruise companies now deal with turnover. There would not even have to be last minute price reductions in the event the company wanted to argue institution of such a practice would hurt future sales as it would create a clientele that would wait for last minute sales. Only if a cancelled cabin was not resold for the same price should a cancelling party have to forfeit such a great % of the fare. And last minute sales might be appropriate given the legal obligation of one party to act reasonably to minimize the other party's loss.

There is no comparable practice in other industries. Air plane seats are sold with an option for no refund or partial refund and differentially priced. Parties who reserve hotel rooms may have to call to cancel, but it is usually only 24 hours in advance and then only one night is charged as a penalty ( and one party may substitute for another without penalty). Theater seats may be nonrefundable but they are transferable.

I have written to Sen Schumer of NY about this as he is suppposedly working in a cruisers' bill of rights. The cruise industry needs to be forced to change its cancellation penalty policies.

In my opinion the standard cruise line policy of charging a 100% cancellation fee "penalty" constitutes an unlawful liquidated damage provision that some enterprising lawyer ought to seek to undo. Those of you who are lawyers will know that it is perfectly ok for parties to a contract to agree in advance on an amount of damages one may suffer in the case of a breach especially when it may be difficult to calculate the exact amount of damage, but the law requires the liquidated amount to have some rational relationship with the supposed actual loss. Ships seldom sail with an empty cabin. Ships do not lose anywhere near the amount of their cancellation "penalties" when the penalty is a substantial % of the price and especially when entire the cruise price is forfeited. The law abhors a forfeiture. Penalties unrelated to actual damages for a breach of contract are not permitted.

Cabins are turned over many times before they are finally sold so cruise companies now deal with turnover. There would not even have to be last minute price reductions in the event the company wanted to argue institution of such a practice would hurt future sales as it would create a clientele that would wait for last minute sales. Only if a cancelled cabin was not resold for the same price should a cancelling party have to forfeit such a great % of the fare. And last minute sales might be appropriate given the legal obligation of one party to act reasonably to minimize the other party's loss.

There is no comparable practice in other industries. Air plane seats are sold with an option for no refund or partial refund and differentially priced. Parties who reserve hotel rooms may have to call to cancel, but it is usually only 24 hours in advance and then only one night is charged as a penalty ( and one party may substitute for another without penalty). Theater seats may be nonrefundable but they are transferable.

I have written to Sen Schumer of NY about this as he is suppposedly working in a cruisers' bill of rights. The cruise industry needs to be forced to change its cancellation penalty policies.

Nothing wrong with that. 100 % damages is Justified especially when you agree to it in the cruise contract. That is why you have the option to buy insurance that has cancel for any reason provisions or cancel for work provisions.

Archived