Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

Maybe cl.klick can answer this, but I was planning on bringing travel sizes along to get me through the first day or two. Paris is our first stop and I will pick up full size bottles there.

By the way, thanks so much cl.klick for all the packing advise. I am really excited about the one bag idea.

And you SHOULD be excited! Practice, test out your plans, study the one bag.com web page, and off you go. There are a host of people who get very in to this light travel thing on line. Another web site I like is OBOW.com.

http://www.minimus.biz is a web page that sells all kinds of travel sized stuff, too.

- Joel

For any "dirty laundry" that we bring home, we usually pack it in our carry-on bag to help cushion any items that we've bought that are more fragile. I usually pack a light-weight duffle bag in one of the outer zippered pockets on our luggage and it's ready to be a carry-on.

Believe me, I'd rather bring home a case full of clothes from Paris than my old undies, so it doesn't bother me one bit to discard as needed!

Just a suggestion!

Jennifer

LOL!!! Brought back a favorite story told by my friend who, back in mid eighties travelled with her doctor husband to China which was newly opened for western travellers. To save space, she had brought along all their old undies to use and discard in their hotel trash can...was she ever surprised (am embarrassed) when they returned from a day's outting to find all their discarded old rattie undies freshly laundered, pressed and presented in a basket on their bed

Just an idea about nite lights in bathroom.

My kids hang glow sticks in our RV when we camp because it is so dark at night.

The glow sticks are 1.00, and you get five of them in the pack.

You can hang up one in the bathroom each night. Or somewhere in the cabin.

I just may try this in July !

Answer is ... you don't! This area is some of the advanced planning you need to do. For example, I use tooth powder rather than tooth paste. You sprinkle it on the toothbrush, add water. Works just fine, and it's light weight, and not a liquid.

Lush products (www dot lushusa dot com) makes wonderful solid shampoos that come in a tin container and are great for travel. Many of their other products help avoid the "liquid" issue in carryon luggage.

Also, we too take our old underwear and throw them away each day during our vacations. Gives more room in the luggage, then get to buy nice new undies after returning home. :p

A "Sharpie - Permanent Marker" to fill out the luggage tag for disembarkation.

Someone else's idea, I'm just passing it along. Wrap some duct tape around the Marker. Duct Tape will fix almost anything.

Renee

Ah, my fantasy that my husband would throw anything away LOL. Even used underwear would be hard for him to discard! He's got his standards. See through underwear is apparently okay if it's on the weekend. I've lived with the man for over 35 years and there is no changing him. If I thought that a cruise would make him do that, I'd book it in a heart beat :rolleyes:.

Lush products (www dot lushusa dot com) makes wonderful solid shampoos that come in a tin container and are great for travel. Many of their other products help avoid the "liquid" issue in carryon luggage.

Also, we too take our old underwear and throw them away each day during our vacations. Gives more room in the luggage, then get to buy nice new undies after returning home. :p

Oh geez. My GF is COMPLETELY addicted to Lush products!!! She's seriously upset that we've never booked a suite with a bathtub :( She loves her 'bath bombs' in our home jacuzzi tub.

When I show her the suite prices, she threatens to toss a bath bomb in the public hot tub late in the evening :)

Edited by gcvt

A must for me to take is Tiger Balm which is an ointment that can be used is many ways:

On your stomach

Sore muscles

Headache

Any anywhere on your body where you need some relief. Here in San Francisco it's available in many Asian stores.

Tom:)

Plastic baskets!! They weigh nothing, go in the suitcase and I fill/pack around them. Oblong ones go in each nightstand (in the opening) to hold Kindles, glasses, small flashlights, earplugs, meds, or anything else that might clutter the top of the nightstand. A pretty square basket on the desk is a catch-all for sunglasses, sail cards, pens, camera, Ipod, spare change, etc. Noooo clutter in my cabin!

My favorite pillowcases - lightweight, yet add color and "home" to the bed

A small mesh bag works well as a shower caddy.

I put a larger mesh bag on a hanger in the closet for dirty clothes.

Plastic spritz bottle - fill with warm water and spritz away wrinkles

I pack all casual clothes IN various sized Ziplocs and store them on the closet shelves.

Put all valuables in a ziploc before putting in safe.

Hi, it is a bag you put water and liquid soap into, then some clothing..seal the bag, get out any air...close again, and gently rub. there are small nodules inside...then empty water, add new water to rinse.. then wring washing and hang out or up.

people buy them for camping etc.

you can buy them on the net...scrubba washbag.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Scrubba_wash_bag_grande.png?647

I love this idea. We get free laundry on Princess, but it is really harsh on clothes. However, the price of this is crazy! $60! I assume that's US$. Is it really durable? For that price, I'd want it to last forever (and be included in my will).

LOL!!! Brought back a favorite story told by my friend who, back in mid eighties travelled with her doctor husband to China which was newly opened for western travellers. To save space, she had brought along all their old undies to use and discard in their hotel trash can...was she ever surprised (am embarrassed) when they returned from a day's outting to find all their discarded old rattie undies freshly laundered, pressed and presented in a basket on their bed

The first time we went to Paris, we took only one bag each with the idea of doing laundry there. I spilled a cup of coffee on David's jeans on the flight over so it was necessary for us to find a laundry service. No problem. There was one nearby on Rue Cler. So, we waited a few days to accumulate more items and made one trip. When we went back the next day to retrieve our things, there were a few items missing...and in my broken French, I'm trying to describe these articles. One of the items was a light gray tee-shirt that I absolutely loved and she never found it. I think that's when I resolved to never take clothes that I would mind if I lost. Hence, my eagerness to do the "old undies" trick.

David hates throwing anything away, too, but I've even convinced him that it's a great way to travel. I usually have a plastic bag to discard things in and tie it up so it's not uncomfortable for our room steward. Sometimes I've just stuck the bag in the closet until the end of the cruise and discarded it then. But I would have chuckled to have found all the items perfected laundered on the bed! What a cute story!

I love all these tips. I've ordered the clear tags for our luggage...and will leave my clear packing tape at home!

Jennifer

Oh geez. My GF is COMPLETELY addicted to Lush products!!! She's seriously upset that we've never booked a suite with a bathtub :( She loves her 'bath bombs' in our home jacuzzi tub.

When I show her the suite prices, she threatens to toss a bath bomb in the public hot tub late in the evening :)

Oh, I love the bath bombs and bubble bars too!! Mmm, especially that Karma scent. :p

You don't have to book a full suite, though, to have a bathtub. The minisuites have non-Jacuzzi tubs and are alot cheaper than a full suite.

A few sheets of non-slip matting to line drawers and stop that annoying movement of loose items. They weigh nothing and work a charm.

Rather than plastic baskets, I make 'storage boxes' at home from cardboard /cereal packets. I like neat, organised drawers :).

Edited by Kinkacruiser

What is the item specifically that you buy from Serendipity to enclose your Princess luggage tags? What is their web site and can the item be purchased on their site? Thanks

Just do a search for luggage tag holders. I can't imagine a cruise without their shower caddy and tag holders. My daughter recently did a Princess cruise and forgot the mesh soap pocket and every time she dropped the soap she wanted to kick herself (not possible in the shower, of course:D) Now they do personalized magnets to decotate the door.

Great ideas!

There really are some great ideas here:D. However regards the undies:o one thing I hate is undies that are unconfomfortable and if I am going to throw them out they are past their use by date for me. I actually buy new undies for cruises so I can walk around in ports in comfort. Besides they take so little room. Shoes are what do me in:o no matter how hard I try I can never seem to cut down on my supply.

I have recently discovered packing cubes and packing envelopes, I love them. Everything is organized and arrives with minimal wrinkles. They also make it easy to redistribute between bags if you find one bag is over weight you can just move one cube to another bag.The slim cubes are great for small things like chargers, extra batteries etc.

The bathroom outlet is only suitable for electric razors.

Not necessarily. I plug in a $2 night light that I purchased at Best Buy that shuts off when there is ambient light and turns on when it is dark. It emits a green glow which is adequate in the middle of the night.

Do you have a website link to shop for these?

I have recently discovered packing cubes and packing envelopes, I love them. Everything is organized and arrives with minimal wrinkles. They also make it easy to redistribute between bags if you find one bag is over weight you can just move one cube to another bag.The slim cubes are great for small things like chargers, extra batteries etc.

The deal with the bathroom plugs on Princess is that they don't want high powered items to be used in there. Night light with just two prongs will be fine. But no blow dryers, etc.

Guess I need a night light with the non polarized prongs because mine wouldn't work.