Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

You can ask the spa attendents at the entrance to spa/workout rooms for headphones. They have packaged disposable ones behind the desk for no charge.

Thank you; this is a truly useful tip!

The mini-bar you receive for being Elite or a Suite passenger can be exchanged for two Coffee Cards.

Call Room Service to have this done. Don't drink any of the items, even a water, as they will need the entire setup in exchange.

This is really helpful to know.

Can you do this if you're booked in a mini suite?

Thanks

Remember, the OBC for shareholders applies across the whole of Carnival Corp. and not just Princess.

If you have your 100 shares, you get shareholders OBC on ALL Carnival brands which include HAL, Cunard, Carnival and Seabourn (US dollars), P&O (Sterling) and Costa (Euros).

However, it is poor investment policy to purchase shares on a short term basis (risk of short term movements should not be ignored) just for OBC and you must remember that shares can go down in value losing you more than your the value of your OBC benefit.

Having said that, if you regularly take two cruises a year, then the ROI is very attractive. I paid around 40% more for my shares (in 2006), than they are worth today, but the benefits and dividends mean that even if I sold at a loss today, they would have delivered a return in excess of 7% per annum. Not outstanding, but equally not unacceptable.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

This is really helpful to know.

Can you do this if you're booked in a mini suite?

Thanks

Only if you are Elite. This is because you have nothing to exchange as you do not get the mini bar benefit in mini suites, only in full suites

This is an amazing discovery to me! Yea! My husband & I are 18 months sober and this would be so handy for us! Thank you.

You can exchange it for all soda as well -- I found the info under FAQ's ~ there were several exchange options..

We too have stock - best investment we have made in while - great "ror" (rate of return) and with Carnival Corp (unlike RCI) it is combinable with all ( so far I have experienced) promotions ... fingers crossed that doesnt change

After 20+ cruises with Princess, I discovered the following from Room Service a year or so ago regarding ordering breakfast room service from the card that is left on your pillow each night:

If you don't want to commit to a specific delivery time in the morning, just call Room Service when you are awake and ready to place an order. Room Service will be happy to deliver, always arriving quickly from my experience.

I discovered this by accident. On sea days, we never set an alarm clock (nothing worse than having to set an alarm for just room service delivery). One morning I called to place just a coffee order; the helpful room service person taking the order asked if I wanted anything else. I was surprised and told him that I was thought it was too late to order breakfast items since I didn't leave the card out the night before. He told me "No issue - just call in the morning when you are ready to order". I did this last year in all 3 cruises, not one issue.

Note: I have never ordered anything that is not listed on the room service menu for breakfast. Don't want to go there, especially if I discover they will deliver bacon. We try to eat "light" for breakfast. LOL

Sue from Fairfield, CA

We’re not regular shareholders but do usually purchase the 100 shares to get the OBC. I just purchased last week for our upcoming June trip and then went to download the Shareholder benefit request form. It now says that travel needed to be booked by February 28, 2013 and is only applicable to sailings through July 21, 2013. I hope they extend it.

How quickly can you get the credit after you purchase the stock (we use online trades)? I had no idea they do $250 for 14 night cruises. We sail in 8 days and wonder if we bought stock today if it would be credited in time.

How quickly can you get the credit after you purchase the stock (we use online trades)? I had no idea they do $250 for 14 night cruises. We sail in 8 days and wonder if we bought stock today if it would be credited in time.

"The application must be made at least 14 days before your cruise departure date"

Sorry :(

Go to this site, and select the link.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Edited by MGnut

They ask for 2 weeks, but it can't hurt to try. Fax the request ASAP

No Guarantees, but when they made a change from the old Shareholder Benefit email address to a new one, they had disabled the account due to spam but did not communicate it properly I called in 4 days before sailing for confirmation, to my email submission that was never received (I know my fault... I now call in 2 weeks after faxing for confirmation) and they mentioned at the time that "faxing" was the only realistic way of getting everything to them in time the woman on the phone waited for my fax and was able to credit me the $250 for my 14 day trip in-time. YMMV but they may work a miracle.

Edited by xltiny

No Guarantees, but when they made a change from the old Shareholder Benefit email address to a new one, they had disabled the account due to spam but did not communicate it properly I called in 4 days before sailing for confirmation, to my email submission that was never received (I know my fault... I now call in 2 weeks after faxing for confirmation) and they mentioned at the time that "faxing" was the only realistic way of getting everything to them in time the woman on the phone waited for my fax and was able to credit me the $250 for my 14 day trip in-time. YMMV but they may work a miracle.

Thanks for the information. I faxed over the request today, and will follow up on the phone early next week before I take off. I'd like to think they could make it happen if as a last resort I end up having to re-fax while on the phone to them too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for the information. I faxed over the request today, and will follow up on the phone early next week before I take off. I'd like to think they could make it happen if as a last resort I end up having to re-fax while on the phone to them too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

We're hoping you are able to get it.

Let us know, please.

They ask for 2 weeks, but it can't hurt to try. Fax the request ASAP

Fax in your request, then call Princess Booking Support at 1-800-872-6779 ext. 30317. They can immediately add your OBC to your booking, while you wait. I've done this a few times when the fax has gotten "lost".

My favorite "secret" that many newer Princess travelers aren't aware of is lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day. It is a wonderful menu including a lovely salmon and a sliced beef tenderloin entree. It is offered in only one of the dining rooms, usually the one located at the back of the ship (that is hard to find!) and only goes until 1:30.

Most people tend to run up to the buffet for lunch, but lunch in the dining room is one of our favorite experiences and a lovely civilized way to kick off our cruise!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If you have both "old" FCCs and "new" FCCs, you might want to choose using one over the other based on the length of the sailing and your cabin type. For example, for us, we use "old" ones to book cruises of 10-nights and "new" ones to book cruises of other lengths. The OBCs work out better that way.

Of course, a caveat is that you have to be mindful of the FCC expiration dates. You wouldn't want to have an old FCC expire simply because you passed it over in favor of using a new FCC.

Note: I have never ordered anything that is not listed on the room service menu for breakfast. Don't want to go there, especially if I discover they will deliver bacon. We try to eat "light" for breakfast. LOL[/font]

Sue from Fairfield, CA

We have frequently ordered from outside the menu -- usually bacon, english muffins, etc. We also find that if you order "outside the menu" and "not using the pre-printed card" that often the coffee is hotter and the food a bit fresher, if that's possible. They always bring whatever we ask for and have never denyed anything. we haven't been out of control however.... When you order outside the menu, I think most would agree that it's in good taste to tip decently too. YMMV. :D

My favorite "secret" that many newer Princess travelers aren't aware of is lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day. It is a wonderful menu including a lovely salmon and a sliced beef tenderloin entree. It is offered in only one of the dining rooms, usually the one located at the back of the ship (that is hard to find!) and only goes until 1:30.

Most people tend to run up to the buffet for lunch, but lunch in the dining room is one of our favorite experiences and a lovely civilized way to kick off our cruise!

I love this tip. I think that is exactly what we are going to do. The buffet is always such a zoo no matter what line I have sailed on.

Thanks so much,

Christie

Agree with this. The menu usually includes fried popcorn shrimp and/or fried scallops (both in dire need of seasoning -- can anyone say Old Bay or salt at least?). Once we were surprised to find some crab legs there...not many and they went FAST. Perhaps they had extra and were concerned they might go bad...well, no worries that day. :D

If you have both "old" FCCs and "new" FCCs, you might want to choose using one over the other based on the length of the sailing and your cabin type. For example, for us, we use "old" ones to book cruises of 10-nights and "new" ones to book cruises of other lengths. The OBCs work out better that way.

Of course, a caveat is that you have to be mindful of the FCC expiration dates. You wouldn't want to have an old FCC expire simply because you passed it over in favor of using a new FCC.

That's a good one that I hadn't thought about.

Thanks!!!!!

We have sailed numerous times on princess and each time have been told that the only food venue on embarkation is the buffet. We will be on the Golden in 2 weeks. Does anyone have any idea if one of the main dining rooms is opens.