CD bought on cruise - damaged by TSA

Miwemo

We recently enjoyed the music of Nestor Santurio (on the Celebrity Equinox) so much that we bought two of his CDs. We carefully packed them in luggage that we checked (running out of space in the carry-ons). However, when we returned home, we discovered that TSA had inspected that suitcase, the CD cases were cracked and one of the CDs was loose in the suitcase, not in its case. We tried playing it and discovered that it was damaged. Any suggestions on 1) submitting a claim to TSA and 2) getting a replacement CD?

I don't see any way that you can prove that someone from the TSA actually did the damage, consequently I can't see how you can make a claim. It could have been baggage handlers---there have been numerous stories showing baggage handlers rifling through luggage.

Normally, your checked luggage would have been removed from the corridor where you left it by the stewards and moved to the ships handling area; other people would have loaded it into bins for removal from the ship; still others would have placed it in the claim area off the ship; after TSA cleared it, two sets of airport baggage handlers would have handled it before you claimed it. While it may be that TSA agents did it, I doubt you have any provable claim.

Very sorry your CD was damaged. I'm sure it is disappointing.

Is there any way to get a replacement? Have you looked to see if they have a website that sells the CD? Tried Amazon? I realize the monetary loss but that has already happened and likely all you do now is try to replace the CD.

Good luck.

We recently enjoyed the music of Nestor Santurio (on the Celebrity Equinox) so much that we bought two of his CDs. We carefully packed them in luggage that we checked (running out of space in the carry-ons). However, when we returned home, we discovered that TSA had inspected that suitcase, the CD cases were cracked and one of the CDs was loose in the suitcase, not in its case. We tried playing it and discovered that it was damaged. Any suggestions on 1) submitting a claim to TSA and 2) getting a replacement CD?

Was there a note in the luggage that TSA did open and inspect it? I hope you still have the note.

If there was no note, then TSA did not inspect it.

Unfortunately, soft sided suitcases are not the best place to pack breakable items, and a CD case would qualify as breakable. The damage probably occurred when your suitcase had other's piled up on top of it on a trolley. The weight of the heavy suitcases above would have pressed down onto your suitcase, compressing the contents, and flexing whatever was inside. A CD case would have easily cracked against that pressure.

Sorry about the damage. As other poster's have said, it would be difficult to prove it was the TSAs fault. If searching the web for the artist doesn't find him, try contacting Celebrity customer service. They might be able to contact the artist for a replacement copy to purchase.

Was there a note in the luggage that TSA did open and inspect it?

However, when we returned home, we discovered that TSA had inspected that suitcase,

I doubt the OP would have known TSA had checked their bag if there was not a note. I've gotten that note as well and without it would never have known they had been in the suitcase... everything exactly as I had put it. I seriously TSA had anything to do with the damage.

To the OP... as others have suggested - try to contact the artist for a replacement or find a reseller.

Was there a note in the luggage that TSA did open and inspect it? I hope you still have the note.

If there was no note, then TSA did not inspect it.

Sometimes the Airport Security Screeners don't bother putting the "inspected by" note in. The absence of a note means nothing.

OP file a claims with a copy to your Congressman. It will probably be denied, but you might get lucky.

I suspect that TSA was responsible, but you'll never prove it and go through a lot of hassle trying. Instead, Google "Nestor Santurio": from the results, you can go to his website and download free music, possibly purchase a new CD. It looks like there are also links to a few YouTube videos that you can enjoy at home.

Sometimes the Airport Security Screeners don't bother putting the "inspected by" note in. The absence of a note means nothing.

OP file a claims with a copy to your Congressman. It will probably be denied, but you might get lucky.

You are incorrect.

TSA will always put in the inspection notice. Why don't you point to some investigative story that disagrees?

You are incorrect.

TSA will always put in the inspection notice. Why don't you point to some investigative story that disagrees?

I agree... they always put a notice in. Why would they not??

TSA is required to put a note in your bag if they have inspected it. It is not a matter of politeness, but a mandatory action they must take.

come on folks.. I know the TSA leaves a lot to be desired but 'knowing' it was them and to bother your congressmen is way over the top. Of all the folks who handled/tossed/stacked/run over/etc your cases.. the TSA is the least likely to have broken a CD unless one of them stepped on your case. chalk it up as stuff happens and move on. it took me one search to find his facebook page.

I agree... they always put a notice in. Why would they not??

Always? Perfection? Really? Other than just forgetting a notice, there is also laziness, sloppiness and, at the extreme, theft. Do you really think the Screeners fired for theft left notices? Do you really think all thieves were caught?

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/today-in-travel/which-airport-has-the-most-tsa-thefts.html?id=12940565

And there is also the reverse problem.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/09/travel/tsa-unscreened-bags

Too late to add this to my PP . . . http://rt.com/usa/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/

Always? Perfection? Really? Other than just forgetting a notice, there is also laziness, sloppiness and, at the extreme, theft. Do you really think the Screeners fired for theft left notices? Do you really think all thieves were caught?

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/today-in-travel/which-airport-has-the-most-tsa-thefts.html?id=12940565

And there is also the reverse problem.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/09/travel/tsa-unscreened-bags

Too late to add this to my PP . . . http://rt.com/usa/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/

You forgot to include articles on epileptic seizures, fainting spells, bad hair days, and severe jock itch as other reasons the TSA mishandles our bags. Seems like you have a pretty good handle on everything that can go wrong. Must be a real source of pride for you to be such a wealth of knowledge about someone else's faults. :rolleyes:

Besides nothing being stolen, why would the TSA want to damage the CD?

As stated, the damage could have happened at any one of many places along the way. Best to just order a new one and not bother your Congressman/woman.

TSA is required to put a note in your bag if they have inspected it. It is not a matter of politeness, but a mandatory action they must take.

When we finished our NCL-A Hawaiian cruise a few years ago, we used the "bags" program.

When opened our bags at home, one bag had a note in it, not from TSA, but from the Hawaii Dept of Agriculture :cool:

Unfortunately, soft sided suitcases are not the best place to pack breakable items, and a CD case would qualify as breakable. The damage probably occurred when your suitcase had other's piled up on top of it on a trolley. The weight of the heavy suitcases above would have pressed down onto your suitcase, compressing the contents, and flexing whatever was inside. A CD case would have easily cracked against that pressure.

Sorry about the damage. As other poster's have said, it would be difficult to prove it was the TSAs fault. If searching the web for the artist doesn't find him, try contacting Celebrity customer service. They might be able to contact the artist for a replacement copy to purchase.

Absolutely agree! As somebody who recently sat on a plane in Ft. L and watched the baggage handler hurl my suitcase toward the conveyer belt -- he missed -- I'd say the OP's issue is probably with someone who actually handled the bag, rather than any TSA personnel who may have opened it. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Archived