Viking Cruises

hypercafe

Seems that Viking River Cruises is building two new 980 pas ships to start a Ocean Cruise Division. They do such a great job with the longboats I would guess they will be strong competition for Oceania, any thoughts?

I've just been reading through the brochure.....it looks like a good product, one that I would consider if "O" didn't have an equivalent itinerary. The only standout features on Viking Star that I would like to see on an Oceania ship one day are the included wifi, the infinity pool and the twin level observation lounge.

However they go most places a ship doesn't go. Get ready for dormitory type food and long bus rides to get to the towns and little cities. No entertainment. One restaurant. Did it once and never again.

Nice articles on Viking Star:

http://maritimematters.com/2013/05/viking-star-to-shine/

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Viking-unveils-ocean-cruise-plans/

Vid here (shows renditions)

Key inclusions; wine/beer with lunch and dinner, free wifi, on board cooking school, one included excursion at each port, all specialty restaurants included (more than five dining venues) spa has "snow grotto," double deck Observation ("explorers lounge"), two pools, no port fees, gov't taxes, included self service laundry. Our only niggle is tips are not included.

Entertainment:

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruiseships/baltic/viking-star/lifeonboard_entertainment.aspx

What did we think (despite having four Silversea cruises booked this year, two in 2014 and planning one in 2015, we did three Regent cruises last year), early yesterday morning we we're one of the first guests to book the VS Maiden voyage. Already, recruited four CC couples to book the maiden as well, expect to recruit another half dozen+.

ps..working with LauraS, community mgr for CC to give Viking their own Ocean cruise thread in P-Z lines.

However they go most places a ship doesn't go. Get ready for dormitory type food

and long bus rides to get to the towns and little cities. No entertainment. One restaurant.

Did it once and never again.

But Carol it is all about travelling down the Danube , Elbe , Main , Rhine etc.

Please keep in mind that even the new Viking Longships are limited by Height

to get under the bridges and Draught for low water on these Rivers.

You comments about "dormitory type food" is ridiculous , and long bus trips

is self inflicted.

A lot of the longer trips start in for instance Paris then go by High Speed Train

to the boat in Amsterdam .

Ultimate European Adventure

Note how many of these unescoLogo.jpg symbols you see

Oh and they are coming to the Mississippi .

it gets LOTS of positive reviews AND NOT LIKE THE RIVER SHIPS,at least that I took with Viking.They were more like "mass market" as compared to "premium" such as AMA,Uniworld,even Avalon..or "luxury" such as Tauck and Scenic.Know it can really vary acc.to counry,ship,itinerary,etc.but out of 10 river cruises, Viking was my LEAST favorite.

But "you get what you pay for" really DOES apply to MOST things.;)

Concur, a real stunner. Pricing for standard veranda for maiden voyage starts at $4999 pp plus super deal on r/t air, believe starts at $695 r/t (standard econ fare (from Atlanta, e.g.) on KLM, Delta, or Lufthansa is about $1600, savings good through bookings made by July 31st). We booked Penthouse Veranda suite and will use miles (United or US Airways) to fly to Bergen and back from Stockholm. Believe, like many Oceania TA's offer included gratuities, believe some TA's that now sell Viking Ocean cruises will offer tips included too (at least hope so).

First question would be about service. Saw no butlers for the upper suites listed. Then of course there are the itineraries and the food. Drawings show very few two-tops in dining room and room looks very crowded

Ship does, however, look nice as do the cabins. Can it beat O in any way is the main question.:confused:

However they go most places a ship doesn't go. Get ready for dormitory type food and long bus rides to get to the towns and little cities. No entertainment. One restaurant. Did it once and never again.

But Carol it is all about travelling down the Danube , Elbe , Main , Rhine etc.

Please keep in mind that even the new Viking Longships are limited by Height

to get under the bridges and Draught for low water on these Rivers.

You comments about "dormitory type food" is ridiculous , and long bus trips

is self inflicted.

A lot of the longer trips start in for instance Paris then go by High Speed Train

to the boat in Amsterdam .

Ultimate European Adventure

Note how many of these unescoLogo.jpg symbols you see

Oh and they are coming to the Mississippi .

The question was about Vikings new OCEAN ships, under construction, not about their river cruises. Caroldoll, you can't have done it once; they don't exist yet.

Some industry observers have noticed a resemblance to the "R" ships, especially to the never-constructed R9/R10. I've not seen the plans for the R9/R10, but they were in negotiation with a shipyard in 2001 before Renaissance went bankrupt.

It has possibilities but I'll wait for a better (for me) itinerary. Though the Baltic and the Med are very nice and interesting, I can do it only so many times.

As always, YMMV :).

I agree. Itineraries are not enticing to me but ship looks lovely

Still too many guests for me. I prefer the 600 or so on the r ships

At this point in my traveling life I don't care about the bells and whistles on the ship

It's itinerary, itinerary, itinerary

But I'd love to cruise with Wes some time.

Concur, a real stunner. Pricing for standard veranda for maiden voyage starts at $4999 pp plus super deal on r/t air, believe starts at $695 r/t (standard econ fare (from Atlanta, e.g.) on KLM, Delta, or Lufthansa is about $1600, savings good through bookings made by July 31st). We booked Penthouse Veranda suite and will use miles (United or US Airways) to fly to Bergen and back from Stockholm. Believe, like many Oceania TA's offer included gratuities, believe some TA's that now sell Viking Ocean cruises will offer tips included too (at least hope so).

Yes, nice clean lines and decor. Atrium is not fussy and open (in the artist's rendition anyway.) Brochure I looked at yesterday shows air starting at $900 to $1100 depending on gateway city with premium economy upgrade for $1100; business class +$3500.

"all specialty restaurants included" but have some some of priority system. 'basic' level, assume that is the lowest level veranda and not both veranda categories (i.e. anything below below PH) but that is not clear, have NO 'priority' reservations.

Plus I thought I read somewhere that a higher category even gets priority over priority ?? If one has lower priority do they just hope there is an opening somewhere?

$200/cabin penalty to cancel right from the start so would want to some calls before going further. Does look very attractive but new product and lots to know.

Per viking yesterday, bookings now through end of month have no cancellation penalty.

Yes upper suites (explorer, penthouse, and penthouse veranda) get priority ressies, plus early embarkation (11a.m for exp, ph, 12:30 for phv)

Don, thanks for just the facts replies.

For me (as a fitness nut) location of full prominade jogging track (only 4 laps =Mile) on deck two is curious.

Thank you Laraine for your warm sentiment, we also would enjoy sailing with y'all

ps..As Don, Mark and others who have sailed maiden voyages (we did the Silver Spirit maiden crossing in Jan 2010 (our fav cruise yet--yep a crossing over asia, india) know it is a very special atmosphere on board, plus as Viking's first ocean going level, me thinks it will be very special.

I for one will wait until the ship is truly tested before I board it. We were on the Viking Legend for its inaugural cruise and the engines blew just after we had rounded the corner by Lorelei's rock. We had done a Viking river cruise in China previously and loved it. The cruise down the Rhine, Danube was good, but not as good as the China cruise.

I have vowed never to get on in inaugural cruise for any line after the experience and so far I am keeping to my promise.:D

I for one will wait until the ship is truly tested before I board it. We were on the Viking Legend for its inaugural cruise and the engines blew just after we had rounded the corner by Lorelei's rock. We had done a Viking river cruise in China previously and loved it. The cruise down the Rhine, Danube was good, but not as good as the China cruise.

I have vowed never to get on in inaugural cruise for any line after the experience and so far I am keeping to my promise.:D

While I understand your reasoning based on your experience, the engines can (and do) "blow" at any time even on older ships.

I would be more worried about the ship not being finished on time (Marina comes to mind), staff still learning, menus untested and issues like that on a maiden voyage.

Despite the above sentiment we are taking our first maiden on the new Royal Princess that looks lovely.

I think the new VIKING STAR looks absolutely awesome and welcome new competition to both Oceania and Azamara. Competition is always a good thing, and if anything it means both Azamara and Oceania will have to keep on their toes, and even raise the bar.

The new VIKING STAR has some features that neither Azamara or Oceania offer that are very appealing to me. First I love the contemporary and clean decor. I also like the fact that the main dining room is supposed to offer the best cuisine and not the speciality restaurants. There are a lot of al fresco dining options as well which is really appealing. All cabins have balconies and all bathrooms have a large shower (no sticking shower curtain). One pool has a retractable glass roof which is great in inclement weather, and the second aft infinity pool looks really inviting. On both Azamara and Oceania there is only one pool, and I welcome a second pool area. The observation lounge forward is two levels and that is pretty cool, but MOST of all the VIKING STAR will have a full 360 degree wrap around Promenade Deck. That is something sorely lacking on both Oceania and Azamara.

I have to say I'm beyond impressed with the level of detail and comprehensiveness of the Viking announcement. I don't think anyone expected every detail of the new venture to be announced so quickly (i.e. pricing, itineraries, ship details, deck plans, brochure, website, contest on Facebook, video, ship renderings, policies, reservations, etc. etc). Basically everything is out on the table in one swift movement. That in itself is very impressive and tells me not only is Viking serious about this venture, they really have their sh-- together as well! Obviously a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes for a good six months or longer.

I wish Viking much success, just as I do Azamara and Oceania. I think there is room for all three lines to operate successfully in the ultra-premium niche.

Ernie

Hi Mark, fondly recall where I was disparately trying to get on the Marina maiden--with your help, alas to no avail since I missed our invitation to the Marina shakedown that was ultimately canceled due to Fincantieri's late delivery. Paul made a good point above about Fincantieri, same Marina builder is building the Viking Star.

Pulsed our TA's owner (#1 seller of Tauck worldwide top 3 of Viking River cruises) who told me he likes Viking (Tor Hagen, owner/CEO) track record of delivering new Viking river ships. Now, have place our trust/and deposit $$ in confidence our TA has in Viking leadership.

Yes Mark since our TA is based out west, and since bookings opened up at 8 a.m EST called Viking direct. Interesting sidenote, found out from our TA's owner (he was in Beverly Hills, CA for the Viking Star rendition reveal with other top Viking TA's) that the Viking river cruise reps did not find out they were going to be able to take Viking star bookings until 36 hours before they opened. You have up to 60 days to transfer your booking made directly with Viking to your TA of choice (commissions protected)--we transferred our booking within 90 minutes.

Really booked this cruise after pouring over the website Friday morning, (trusting our TA's confidence/having faith in Viking to deliver a wonderful cruise product and most critically the magic feeling we experienced on the maiden crossing of the Silver Spirit..we were first couple ever to renew vows with the Capt, CD officiating on the bridge of the Spirit (our avatar was taken after this ceremony--Silversea had champagne for us plus horse dervies on the bridge). Captain invited me to the bridge for the docking of the Spirit first port ever in the Caribbean..and the list of firsts from that maiden crossing goes on. We will sail with four couples we were on board the Silver Spirit maiden crossing in Jan 2010, this Nov for the Spirit's fall crossing. Thus, we booked the Viking Star's maiden voyage, hopefully to recapture these magic maiden moments. Moreover the VS maiden itinerary includes ports we have yet to experience--this particular voyage was extra attractive for that reason.

Apparently, after I sent an email heads up, some veteran CCrs agree with us..Harbormaster/John and Kathy (veteran Silversea,Crystal,SB, Regent (they love Viking River cruises), RachelG/Rachel & George (vet SS & Regent cruisers) and the couple on board the Voyager Mumbai to Bali last December just confirmed their booking to me minutes ago.

Looks like we will have to try these ships. Too bad that O did not build their new ships to this size. In between what they have now. As big as I would really like. The R ships are the best, but at least Viking not twice the size of R's Seems like it could be a very good product, but only time will tell. :)

Sounds great, but I'm going to take a 'wait and see' attitude. Don't see anything that feels like a 'must do', although I'll definitely watch them in future.

Yes, I agree. Although its a helluva way to start--with everything (apparently) ready to roll at the appointed times. I agree with earlier poster that the Viking Star has several interesting features or characteristics that would be appealing on any line. The emphasis on the mdr is enticingly retro. One thing I saw no reference to was smoking.And what about dress code?

Different people want different things from life, and from ships.A maiden voyage is no more appealing to me than any other. (And I feel compelled to point out that the most famous maiden voyage in maritime history was the Titanic.) But I do think Viking Ocean will have an impact on Crystal (with its older ships) and Regent (aging ships) and perhaps pressure Seabourn to make its next entry as distinctive from the big sisters as Viking.

If you look at the per diems, Viking cuts across several theoretically neat market demarcations, both near luxury and luxury.When they add a second ship in 2016, they will have more pax capacity than Seabourn. I also note the emphasis on Swiss-trained staff. If Viking can resurrect the levels of bon homie and service that we all remember--or think we remember--they will have managed to combine the best of the new with the best of the revered.

--

Archived