The Big Tippers Club??

freddie

On another thread there have been several interesting comments posted regarding tipping above the "suggested" or "auto" level of tipping, including:

"We do this not only to reward the hardworking staff, but in the hope that we will be pegged as good tippers."

"Is it directly related to tipping? Maybe, but we appreciate the warmth and exemplary service we experience on all of our cruises. We like being members of that club!"

"This is a club whose membership is more than worth the money!"

My partner & I have booked a cruise on Riviera, based on the rave reviews of the food and service from friends with whom we have cruised on Regent. Most of our ocean cruising experience is on Regent and Silversea, on both of which the gratuities are included and on neither of which do we tip the staff, preferring to contribute instead to the Crew Fund.

So, dear CC contributors and Oceania experts, what is the real deal here? Is it the fact that one only receives excellent service (with warmth, no less) when one is part of the Big Tippers Club? If so, is it the custom to make the extra tips for special service at the end of the cruise (as does the very wise hrprof, whose opinion we respect greatly) or at the beginning of the cruise (as does a certain poster, whose DH prefers to throw loads of cash about at the first possible instance in order to establish his reputation for lavish tipping)?

Please understand that we are in fact quite generous tippers and always exceed the suggested gratuities on our river cruises and private land tours when we are pleased with the service provided. We are simply endeavoring here to determine what is the custom and appropriate path on our O cruise.

We certainly intend to reward our butler (assuming that he or she provides proper service) but are quite at sea (pun dreadfully intended) regarding other staff, including bartenders (with whom we will be spending a lot of time).

Any observations or revelations will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Fred

On another thread there have been several interesting comments posted regarding tipping above the "suggested" or "auto" level of tipping, including:

"We do this not only to reward the hardworking staff, but in the hope that we will be pegged as good tippers."

"Is it directly related to tipping? Maybe, but we appreciate the warmth and exemplary service we experience on all of our cruises. We like being members of that club!"

"This is a club whose membership is more than worth the money!"

My partner & I have booked a cruise on Riviera, based on the rave reviews of the food and service from friends with whom we have cruised on Regent. Most of our ocean cruising experience is on Regent and Silversea, on both of which the gratuities are included and on neither of which do we tip the staff, preferring to contribute instead to the Crew Fund.

So, dear CC contributors and Oceania experts, what is the real deal here? Is it the fact that one only receives excellent service (with warmth, no less) when one is part of the Big Tippers Club? If so, is it the custom to make the extra tips for special service at the end of the cruise (as does the very wise hrprof, whose opinion we respect greatly) or at the beginning of the cruise (as does a certain poster, whose DH prefers to throw loads of cash about at the first possible instance in order to establish his reputation for lavish tipping)?

Please understand that we are in fact quite generous tippers and always exceed the suggested gratuities on our river cruises and private land tours when we are pleased with the service provided. We are simply endeavoring here to determine what is the custom and appropriate path on our O cruise.

We certainly intend to reward our butler (assuming that he or she provides proper service) but are quite at sea (pun dreadfully intended) regarding other staff, including bartenders (with whom we will be spending a lot of time).

Any observations or revelations will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Fred

Not sure where you got this info BUT even if you dont tip (which we do at the end) your service will be outstanding..we just tip extra to the people we ask for extra services..butler for sure as we use their services quite a lot..but all tips are given at the end as I said..and wer have never had less than stellarmservice!!

Jancruz1

I speak just for myself & DH

We are not part of the BIG TIPPERS club

We do not tip upfront & still we receive great service with a warm smile...

My days of holding down the bar are long gone ..they do add 18% to each drink unless you have the drink package it is included in that deal

We get now gratuities included from our TA but before that we left the auto tip in place a give a bit extra to our room stewards or if we sit in the same section with the same waitstaff we also give them extra at the end of the cruise

if someone goes above & beyond to make our cruise more pleasant we also leave them something ......but most of the staff on Oceania go above & beyond so how do you decide ;)

You should do what works best for you & not worry if you get to join a specific CLUB or not

JMO

Lyn

Jancruz has said it all. We have cruised several times with Oceania and each time outstanding staff that you feel at home with and sometimes friends with when they recognize you from a previous cruise. We have never tipped other than automatic gratuities taken. We once were waiting for a table in Polo and gentleman ahead of us tipped the restaurant captain and he was visibly embarrassed. Did they get a good table - no. We were next up and were taken to a table for two at the window and then chuckled about their table. What the staff likes to get is name recognition and reviews at the end of the cruise. Now, if we had a butler suite we would be leaving something extra. O's good service is not dependent on shelling out dollars throughout the cruise.

Lola911 says that "What the staff likes to get is name recognition and reviews at the end of the cruise."

I agree - put in great comments about staff on the mid-cruise and end of cruise reviews. I have been to several staff recognition events in the evening and staff who win seem thrilled and get good perks. I assume that our comments make a difference in being selected.

I recognized several staff members at the mid cruise evaluation as well as the end of cruise evaluation. I found out from the mid cruise evaluation, that very favourable comments are posted on a wall board in the cruise staff accommodation for all cruise staff to see. After making a nice compliment about several staff members by name, I was thanked by each one of them for the very favourable compliment. They get very excited when their names are put up on the wall. They add the passengers name to the comment, so the staff know who made the compliment. We did a B2B cruise and had incredible service for the entire cruise and no we did not tip extra, but I had purchased some items which I could not take off the ship and the staff appreciated them as a thank you when I asked them if they would like them. Several of the staff told me how passengers had brought them little trinkets, which they really appreciated and no they were not looking for gifts, they were just answering some information that I had asked for and that little gem slipped out.

We have a favorite waiter who we see often, and who has "adopted" us. We've seen him rise to Deputy Head Waiter, and we expect him to be a maitre 'd at some point. He told us early, "names mentioned in the comments are extremely important -- and praise even more so! We've never tipped him extra, but always seem to get the better tables.

On the rare occasions we've had room service and not had a butler, we've tipped a couple of Euros at the time of service. We sometimes leave a little extra for the room attendants if they smiled a lot and seemed to enjoy their jobs. We've usually, but not always, left a little something extra for the butler, but we seldom use them, and with their gratuity going up to $7 per day, per guest, we probably won't any longer unless we break our pattern and actually use them for more than lots of Diet Coke and a couple of meals.

We've always enjoyed stellar service on Oceania. We have never, anywhere, tipped before receiving service.

We do not tip extra, upfront or in addition to the auto gratuities.

Here's my take: we (husband &I) are low key, low maintanence, easy to please, undemanding, Unassuming type folks....we have never asked for anything above or beyond what we paid for...the service has always been excellent. Imo The staff must put us in the'nice&easy'club, which to them is probably worth more than cash from members of the 'Big Tipper' club, who know's?

I will echo the prior comments. Service is exemplary and it is what you have paid for. However, we like to show our appreciation and do modestly tip extra ~ but not until the last evening, so service received has never been as a result of tipping. We lavish praise, when it is earned (almost always) to the room stewards, waiters, omelet maker, etc. and, most importantly, to management level officers and on the evaluation forms. While taking ship photos one day, the head of housekeeping passed by and I asked to take a photo with her. She was surprised but agreed. I shared with her how clean and neat our room always appeared and how promptly our room was made up. I told her the name of our steward and her assistant and reiterated their professionalism and friendliness. I also complimented the director herself for the training she surely must have given her staff. She was beyond pleased and I felt great giving credit where it was due.

Harriet

The only folks I have ever tipped extra (and not always - they have to go above and beyond) are my stateroom attendant and butler. I have never tipped anyone else on the ship and I have been treated royally. There is no "Club."

As others have posted, take the time to write a comment about staff in the comment cards. Way more valuable to them than a tip. The staff finds about these comments and they will "love" you for the special mention.

Butlers consider tipping at the beginning of a cruise "tacky" but a nice note with your $$$ thanks at the end of a cruise is very much appreciated as well as remembered. The same would go for your room steward and their helper. We have a waiter whose son we have watched, in pictures, grow up and always bring him a book.

If your a one timer on O it probably won't matter to you however if your a regular it certainly will.

Butlers consider tipping at the beginning of a cruise "tacky" but a nice note with your $$$ thanks at the end of a cruise is very much appreciated as well as remembered. The same would go for your room steward and their helper. We have a waiter whose son we have watched, in pictures, grow up and always bring him a book.

If your a one timer on O it probably won't matter to you however if your a regular it certainly will.

I gave my gorgeous butler a big hug and a tip! LOL

Hugs are good too

I keep dialing 02 on the phone but he doesn't show up.

...There is no "Club."

Ah, but I think there is a club, and Jim and Stan are charter members, no? Perhaps they will comment on this subject.

I myself intend to keep doing what I've been doing for 13 years on Regent cruises. No extra tips, with the possible exception of my steward or butler at the end of the trip, and that's rare, since we too are low-maintenance people, and rarely use the butler for much, if we're lucky enough to have one.

Ah, but I think there is a club, and Jim and Stan are charter members, no? Perhaps they will comment on this subject.

I myself intend to keep doing what I've been doing for 13 years on Regent cruises. No extra tips, with the possible exception of my steward or butler at the end of the trip, and that's rare, since we too are low-maintenance people, and rarely use the butler for much, if we're lucky enough to have one.

I agree with you Wendy, we tipped extra on our first few cruises, but now have come to realize that putting in a good word, on the comment card, is much appreciated. I believe that members of the 'Big Tippers' = high maintenance, therefore the staff should get their cash for the extra efforts they put out catering to them!

I agree in part, however Jan is right and yes, Jim & Stan are right. Just because "O" has an auto tip amount doesn't mean that is the only amount you tip. Sure people like favorable comments and recognition. But if you think the crew don't enjoy extra gratuities/tips your kidding yourself. The next time you do a great job at work and get a bonus---give it back and say "No thank you, I just needed the recognition."

And no one ever said they just toss money around---If some crew member goes over what I excepted and asked for, yes I'm going to give them an extra tip, and I always thank them.

Rick

... Just because "O" has an auto tip amount doesn't mean that is the only amount you tip....

I presume you meant some nuance in that statement, but it didn't work. This statement surely is some kind of logical fallacy that's beyond my small brain.

I presume you meant some nuance in that statement, but it didn't work. This statement surely is some kind of logical fallacy that's beyond my small brain.

I wonder if it is possible that you inferred where RonRick did not imply?

freddie, I have not sailed Oceania, but I firmly believe that "tips included" means "tips included". I also believe that if one asks for something more than would be expected, from any cruise line crew member, that there is nothing offensive about offering them something at that time or at the end of the cruise. I have yet to meet any crew member who has "expected" receiving cash when they have provided extra service.

I am a firm believer in contributing to a cruise fund that provides for all crew members who are not only providing the wonderful service onboard, but also provide us with the "behind the scenes" service that gives the cruise lines we have sailed such wonderful ratings.

I choose not to provide a "tip" up front as I can't understand how that could be a "tip" rather than a "bribe" with an expectation of special treatment. I do not want special treatment regardless of the category of cabin I choose. I have yet to sail on a cruise line where the service has not blown me away, although, there have been some crew members that do not provide that level of service.

It has been my experience that I am treated as well as any "big tipper" who pre-tiips or tips on an ongoing basis. My suggestion is to do what feels comfortable for you, continue to appreciate the crew and treat them with respect (as you always have), and don't worry about what other passengers do as, given everything I have read on this board, your cruise will be wonderful. Enjoy!

Being a frequent Seabourn and Silversea sailor I love the concept of the crewe welfare fund where I can contribute to the entire crew, not just this with whom I come in contact. These "unseen" crew members do just as much to make the cruise enjoyable as the butler. I wish Oceania would adopt this policy. Or has it and I don't know about it?

I wonder if it is possible that you inferred where RonRick did not imply?

I don't think there's much room for inference. Rick basically was saying that you should tip despite tips being included. I could perhaps extrapolate (or infer) that no matter how generous the included tips were, he would still feel like he had to tip extra.

freddie, I have not sailed Oceania, but I firmly believe that "tips included" means "tips included". I also believe that if one asks for something more than would be expected, from any cruise line crew member, that there is nothing offensive about offering them something at that time or at the end of the cruise. I have yet to meet any crew member who has "expected" receiving cash when they have provided extra service.

I am a firm believer in contributing to a cruise fund that provides for all crew members who are not only providing the wonderful service onboard, but also provide us with the "behind the scenes" service that gives the cruise lines we have sailed such wonderful ratings.

I choose not to provide a "tip" up front as I can't understand how that could be a "tip" rather than a "bribe" with an expectation of special treatment. I do not want special treatment regardless of the category of cabin I choose. I have yet to sail on a cruise line where the service has not blown me away, although, there have been some crew members that do not provide that level of service.

It has been my experience that I am treated as well as any "big tipper" who pre-tiips or tips on an ongoing basis. My suggestion is to do what feels comfortable for you, continue to appreciate the crew and treat them with respect (as you always have), and don't worry about what other passengers do as, given everything I have read on this board, your cruise will be wonderful. Enjoy!

Yes! Thanks for a very nice post.

My suggestion is to do what feels comfortable for you, continue to appreciate the crew and treat them with respect (as you always have), and don't worry about what other passengers do

I agree

Who really cares if other people tip extra or not

The cruise line sets a recommended amount for gratuities ..you are free to tip more or less if you choose

Enjoy

Lyn

On this subject on a board I read some months ago, someone suggested giving out pre-paid phone cards. It makes sense. The first thing you see when a crew member steps on shore is a race to a pay phone to call home. I imagine these cards also work for cell phones. Anyone else hear about this?:confused:

On this subject on a board I read some months ago, someone suggested giving out pre-paid phone cards. It makes sense. The first thing you see when a crew member steps on shore is a race to a pay phone to call home. I imagine these cards also work for cell phones. Anyone else hear about this?:confused:

Might be OK if you get the right phone card for the Country they are in

Cash is King

Maybe you should read my post one more time, reading it the way I posted it, not the way you want it to read it. But let me write it a little plainer-Depending on the service you get, depends on if you want to tip extra is totally up to you. Even "O" states that in the brochure. In fact if you don't want to tip at all, you can take the tip off your bill, take a little off or add a little or add a lot---- It's up to you what you tip, not me. But don't put words in my posting.

Rick

The first thing you see when a crew member steps on shore is a race to a pay phone to call home. I imagine these cards also work for cell phones. Anyone else hear about this?:confused:

That used to be true. Now they "race"to the wifi in the terminal so that they can Skype with their family - much better and cheaper :)

BTW, these phone cards do not work for cell phones - only pay phones (if they work at all) - so not a good idea for tipping.

Archived