The Big Tippers Club??

freddie

We never tip in advance. We do tip extra at the end of the cruise. I used to seek out the people I wanted to tip extra on the last night, but it took too much time so most recently I wrote cards and left them at the reception desk. We always tip our cabin attendants.

I will always remember the young man who was scooping ice cream at Waves and also working in the Terrace and GDR. We talked a bit and I really liked him. He always had a smile. So when I couldn't find him, I left his card and tip with the Maitre'D and went on my way. He sought me out about 20 mins later and was speechless, totally unbelieving that it was for him. He kept saying "You left this for me? This is for me? Really? For me? " Obviously it was his first extra tip. The other thing that surprised me was that they all seemed to know who I was and were able to communicate that and track me down.....

We also make an effort to name people in the comment cards. Now that I know they are posted, I will have to spend more time writing them up! I have also made some not so good comments regarding the concierge....two of them were useless at best. I don't have a problem with them not being able to help, but when they promise to get back to you by a certain time, and don't, and then you can't even track them down for an answer, that's not what I call good service. Don't bother with asking them anything anymore. Wonder if those comments were posted? Just had a thought. Perhaps I would've gotten a response if I had slipped them a $50 when I asked the question???

Mo

On our last cruise I also tipped a young man on the housekeeping staff. We had some lovely conversations in the wee hours as I was often up early on the prowl for coffee. I went to reception to confirm that I had his name correct, and their first reaction was that I wanted to complain. When I explained that I wanted to leave him a tip they were speechless. Somehow I think perhaps that doesn't happen often. I suspect this young man won't be in housekeeping for long.

Mo

So it sounds like basically you tip staff extra who are particularly friendly to you. I can imagine tipping extra for extraordinary service, but somehow I'm uncomfortable tipping for friendliness.

You can tip extra to whoever you like it is NOT mandatory to tip anyone above the auto tip

If I tipped for extraordinary service alone I wouldn't tip anyone as we are very low key and don't require lots of service. Not sure what I would do with a butler!

I don't think anyone who tips people they don't like. I also tipped the guy who worked so hard to provide the best coffee on the ship in Horizons. He was friendly yes, but I thought he did an exceptional job. Likely under appreciated as not very many people go up to Horizons early. It's a small club. ;-).

Tip who and what you want. That's what I do.

Mo

But it may not be for the reasons you you think

He was very hard working, articulate and educated. In my opinion he is overqualified for his job. My understanding is that O promotes and trains within the ranks. We spoke only briefly and he certainly wasn't shirking his duties.

He could certainly do no worse than some cabin attendants I have had. And yes I always tip them, even if they are not the best at the job. Anyone who makes my bed and cleans my toilet is a hero in my books.

Mo

He was very hard working, articulate and educated. In my opinion he is overqualified for his job.

Mo

a lot of them are but they might not be able to work in their own Country & to get into other Countries takes a lot of time & money

On our first QE2 cruise I met a waiter in one of the bars. Turned out he'd been an IT guy who lost his job and this was the best he could find. (This was back in early 2004 I think.)

He also was clearly over qualified for what he was doing, but a paycheck is a paycheck.

Mura

He also was clearly over qualified for what he was doing, but a paycheck is a paycheck.

Mura

Some people will take any job to pay the bills

DH was a computer system manager for EMS & they let him go he worked stacking flyers for $7.50 hr

People still have bills to pay

I think the confusion in this thread (and many others like it) comes from the fact that there are now automatic tips. In the old days, before tips were automatically added to one's account, people did exactly what many here are advocating....they tipped whom they wanted as much as they wanted. Now some think since tips are already added that should be enough and technically it is. So confusion reigns. It's also a culture thing. The same culture where there is a tip jar in every establishment regardless of appropriateness will require that one tip extra for everything, There is no wrong or right here. So follow the sage advice that says Do what makes you comfortable!

Henry - In fact, I don't think that there is a lot of confusion in this thread regarding the policy of automatic tips. My partner & I are well aware of tipping practices and will certainly do as you and others have wisely suggested, which is to do what we consider appropriate.

However, as the provocateur who started this thread in somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek mode, I was trying, however inartfully, to raise a question of the perceived value on the part of some posters on this board in giving extra tips in the expectation of better service.

When a CC member who is repeatedly acknowledged on this board as the reigning expert on all-things-Oceania makes the rather unambiguous statement that he gives extra tips "not only to reward the hardworking staff, but in the hope that we will be pegged as good tippers", is it not reasonable to conclude that he considers that there is some tangible benefit to being pegged as a good tipper?

Aside from the word game of inference vs. implication, there appears to be a belief on the part of the CC posters who celebrate their membership in the "club" that they receive some benefit from such membership that others do not. Hmm, that seems a bit at odds with the concept of "Passionate Service" that Frank Del Rio has endeavored to make one of the hallmarks of Oceania.

Cheers, Fred

Aside from the word game of inference vs. implication, there appears to be a belief on the part of the CC posters who celebrate their membership in the "club" that they receive some benefit from such membership that others do not. Hmm, that seems a bit at odds with the concept of "Passionate Service" that Frank Del Rio has endeavored to make one of the hallmarks of Oceania.

Cheers, Fred

Fred,

I am by no means an Oceania expert as I have only sailed Marina and Riviera each once. I have found the service to be top-notch on both trips!

I will give an example of being motivated to tip above and beyond.

Our 1st trip in April 2012 was our 25th anniversary. Our butler served an amazing dinner to us in suite combining all the most popular dishes from the specialty restaurants. He chose the menu and spent time explaining the different dishes for our approval. He had other butlers help him out so that we had fantastic service throughout the meal. He selected and served our wines by course and made us feel as though we were the only people on-board!

He even brought us a special dessert not on the menu. He left a anniversary card signed by the captain at turn-down service. Did the regular automatic tip cover this "above and beyond our expectations" kind of service? We felt we would like to leave an additional tip.(our butler was Churchill)

I think the corporate expectation of service is very high on Oceania. The few negative comments we have listed on the on-board survey were addressed within 24 hrs by the head of those departments. Can you expect "passionate service" on-board? I believe you can. Do some crew member exceed your expectations? Yes, I believe some do. If you desire that crew members go "above and beyond" even the high level Oceania expects of them . . . . . . . should you tip extra? It's up to you. Might it even further motivate a crew member to continue to earn extra income by pleasing you? Human nature says yes.

Those who count themselves in the "big tipper club" are cruisers who desire service even beyond that required by FDR's corporate culture. They want to reward those hard workers around them who are making their cruise fantastic.

I could be mistaken, but I think that people who want to be part of the "big tippers' club" have personalities similar to a person who tore a $100 bill and was described in "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz". It is my belief that most passengers, regardless of their status, see crew and staff who attempt to provide every passenger with service beyond any corporate expectation. I do not believe that they are making that choice "for extra tips". I believe, just as what motivates most people I know, it is the satisfaction of providing the best service they are able to give. If that was not true, only the "big tippers' club" would get phenomenal service.

We have sailed Oceania a few times but never tipped in advance

We still received great service with a smile & hugs from some of the staff that remembered us from previous sailings

Most of the crew want to do their very best for the passengers

If you think that tipping ahead of time will get you better service then you have to do what you think is right for you

We sail in the lower category cabins & the service we get works just fine for us

YMMV

But we so enjoy sharing our good fortune with those who work so hard to deserve it. We have always worked hard for a living and time has come to pay it forward. If we get an extra smile, or it helps a hard working staff member, our goal is satisfied! No, we are not high maintenance and we do always mention good service in our lengthy ship surveys. In fact, we have had crew members thank us for our comments on subsequent cruises.

Everyone should just do what they want without having to justify it!

But we so enjoy sharing our good fortune with those who work so hard to deserve it. We have always worked hard for a living and time has come to pay it forward. If we get an extra smile, or it helps a hard working staff member, our goal is satisfied! No, we are not high maintenance and we do always mention good service in our lengthy ship surveys. In fact, we have had crew members thank us for our comments on subsequent cruises.

Everyone should just do what they want without having to justify it!

Beautifully put and I echo your sentiments. We are very lucky to be in a position to do what we do!

I thought the "big tippers club" was people who tipped in the expectation that they would, in the future, receive "elite" service and that is a club that I do not want to join. In my opinion, the money in that case is a "bribe" and places the ship's crew in a no-win situation.

My past comments certainly do not apply to people who tip for other reasons and I do believe that we each make the choice based on our personalities as well as what is typical in our day to day life. It should not matter whether we worked hard for our money or if we happened to be raised in a family with substantial money. We should always be thankful. For some people, they give their thank you with words and/or actions. For some people, they give tips. For other people, they give both. I don't think anyone can go wrong doing any of these things.

Again, I wish Oceania would adopt the crew welfare fund found in the luxury lines since that would enable those who want t share their good fortune to do so not only with those whose serve them dinner in their suite but those who wash their sheets, man the engine rooms, polish the rails and paint the decks.

Again, I wish Oceania would adopt the crew welfare fund found in the luxury lines since that would enable those who want t share their good fortune to do so not only with those whose serve them dinner in their suite but those who wash their sheets, man the engine rooms, polish the rails and paint the decks.

On a couple of our cruises on other lines they had a box near reception where people deposit money for the crew fund ...

You could leave your left over foreign currency & they would convert it for the crew fund as well

Maybe Reception would take donations to the Crew Purser for their fund

Just a thought

Lyn

Archived