No more air deviation fees?

whogo

A Holland America representative told me they have a new air program where everybody gets to choose flights at competitive rates and no air deviation fees. A price quote was attractive. Good news, if true.

And just as I'm about to become a 3*. Oh well. I hope HAL comes up with something similar to RCI/Celebrity Choice Air. Probably one of the best things about sailing with them.

Roy

And just as I'm about to become a 3*. Oh well.

Roy

I guessed that it would be 12 minutes before someone mentioned the reduction in benefits for 3 and 4 star Mariners. I missed by 8 minutes.

I guessed that it would be 12 minutes before someone mentioned the reduction in benefits for 3 and 4 star Mariners. I missed by 8 minutes.

It's not a reduction in benefits when you give it to somebody else. Giving free air deviation to a newcomer doesn't detract a bit from it's benefit to me. Just wish they'd done it a bit sooner.

Roy

Instead of letting HAL select the air line and flight times, you get to pick the air line and times -- if the air line is on HAL's list. You used to have to pay a fee. Now certain star Mariners get this fee waved.

We would still not do HAL air as there are little choices from our airport.

It's not a reduction in benefits when you give it to somebody else. Giving free air deviation to a newcomer doesn't detract a bit from it's benefit to me. Just wish they'd done it a bit sooner.

Roy

It is a reduction in Mariner rewards when I go from having the deviation fee waived to having no fee for it.

HAL will need to delete this reward from their 3 and 4 and 5 star lists of rewards, so it won't be a reward any longer.

It is a reduction in Mariner rewards when I go from having the deviation fee waived to having no fee for it.

HAL will need to delete this reward from their 3 and 4 and 5 star lists of rewards, so it won't be a reward any longer.

Maybe they'll replace it with something...:rolleyes:

If indeed HAL is planning to offer air with no deviation fees, I would guess that the Seattle bean counters determined that they can make more $$$ by upcharging the wholesale block of air they resell than from the deviation fees. Further, perhaps there has been a falloff in people buying HAL air and this is a way to entice people to do so. In the end, if this change did not impact the revenue stream in a positive manner, HAL would not be considering it.

Roy

I bet it ends up with the fares being a bit more expensive with this new approach, thus it really does detract from the 3-5 star benefits IMO.

I bet it ends up with the fares being a bit more expensive with this new approach, thus it really does detract from the 3-5 star benefits IMO.

Actually, Princess Air's fares got better, and it seems the CSRs got more creative in finding great fares, since doing away with "deviation".

I have a one way fight booked on a major U.S. airline from FL to Heathrow in a few months for $420, which is fully refundable up to 45 days before the flight, through Princess. No way I could find anything near that price on my own!

Maybe HAL's air will be able to do the same.

We got this on our upcoming cruise. However, even though you can reserve the flights you want, your price isn't locked in until your cruise is paid in full. So yes, you have your itinerary but the price can go up before final payment.

FWIW, the price quoted by HAL was the same as what we found online.

For my upcoming TA, ChoiceAir was the deciding factor fore between RCI and NCL. I was able to find a one way flight to Barcelona for $480 with good flight times versus $600 with poor flight choices on the open market.

Glad to see HAL moving in this direction!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived