Newbie need help.

CRUISING71

I am new to Celebrity; we've cruised a few times with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We are considering booking the Celebrity Reflection in April 2014 and have a few questions:

1. Can we eat in the main dining room every night?

2. Do we have to dress up every night in order to eat in the main dining room? Can my son wear jean (no hole or cut up) and a tshirt during regular night?

3. Is there self-service laundry facility?

Thank you,

Tibbie

Welcome to the Celebrity forum.

When you book you can request your dining preference for the MDR. If you book an Aqua class cabin you will be assigned to the Blu restaurant but can arrange to eat in the MDR if you choose.

I'm not sure what you mean by dressing up for dinner nightly. You do not say how old your son is so it's hard to recommend his attire. Jeans are not really appropriate for most nights. You could probably get away with them on the first and last nights but slacks or khakis are more in line with the cruise line recommendations. A collared shirt, as opposed to a t shirt will be acceptable. On formal nights if you wish to dress casually you can always choose to dine in the Lido or one of the specialty restaurants. A sport coat, suit or tux is the recommended dress for those formal evenings.

Celebrity ships do not have a self service laundry. They do have a wonderful laundry service and you can do a search for pricing on this forum.

I know it sounds like the dress code is very stuffy, and/or dressy but it is one of the things that distinguishes the cruise line from Carnival. It isn't a downer by any means, just a different atmosphere.

Thank you so much for the info. The children are 17 and 13.

Helen, I read on the forum and one of the question asked was similar to mine but the answer was u have to RSVP daily for the MDR, so I was confused. I also see Celebrity has dining package. Maybe the original post was referring to the package.

We are familiar with RCCL and Carnival. Celebrity is new to us and just want to make sure if this is the right fit for us.

Thank you so much for the info. The children are 17 and 13.

Helen, I read on the forum and one of the question asked was similar to mine but the answer was u have to RSVP daily for the MDR, so I was confused. I also see Celebrity has dining package. Maybe the original post was referring to the package.

We are familiar with RCCL and Carnival. Celebrity is new to us and just want to make sure if this is the right fit for us.

There are no significant differences between Celebrity and RCI or Carnival in terms of dining. Celebrity does tend to be a little bit more "dressed-up" and t-shirts are definitely frowned upon at dinner. Jeans however (despite some people's opinion of them) are perfectly acceptable on smart-casual nights according to official Celebrity policy.

I once cruised in Europe on a Carnival ship with a distinctly older demographic and very few kids. The experience was remarkably similar to Celebrity despite the waterslides and poolside movie screen. Celebrity certainly has a more sedate and relaxing vibe (most of the time) but the basics are pretty much the same.

I think the 'RSVP' was for Anytime Dining, where it helps to have a reservation. If you have either early or late dining, you will be at the same table and time each night.

I agree that clean jeans are fine; t-shirts at night are not really great but probably no one would say anything if they were clean and the graphics were acceptable. A collared shirt is referred, like a polo.

1. Can we eat in the main dining room every night?

If you book Aqua Class you will be assigned to Blu, not the main dining room. But this is unlikely for you because you are a family of three and Aqua Class is only double occupancy rooms.

So yes, you will be assigned the Main Dining Room. You can chose Traditional Early or Traditional Late, which are both fixed seating assignments, or Select Dining, where you can go to the dining room any time during dinner hours. If you choose Select, you can make a reservation or you can just show up.

2. Do we have to dress up every night in order to eat in the main dining room? Can my son wear jean (no hole or cut up) and a tshirt during regular night?

Men are asked to wear a collared shirt, not a T-shirt. The dress code is called "smart casual and above". You'll see some who take the "above" seriously and change into something a bit nicer for dinner. Others come in just a pair of slacks and a polo-style shirt.

3. Is there self-service laundry facility?

No, there are no self-service laundries on any Celebrity ships

Thank you for the info. I need to buy my son a few collard shirts, he is QuckSilver and Hurley's shirts.

We have cruised with Celebrity several times with our sons, ages 20 and 18 - they always change before dinner, into khakis pants or dark pants - never jeans - and they wear a collared shirt or a dressy v-neck shirt. They are very aware of how others dress, and almost no one wears jeans to dinner on Celebrity, no matter their age. People take the 'smart casual' by and large, very much to heart. On formal nights, our sons are very keen to have their ties tied properly and their suits just so. But, they do not see any of this 'no jeans at night' as a hardship - they genuinely enjoy the more formal evening atmosphere, juxtaposed against the casual daytime atmosphere.

To the OP:

You are allowed to wear jeans in the MDR, without rips or holes. It is completely acceptable during ANY SMART CASUAL night, which are all nights exept Formal ( 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise).

T-shirts are NOT allowed during dinner in the MDR or Speciality restaurants.

Beware of some posters on this forum who think they are fashion police and are interpreting the rules to their own liking. ( are you listening Alcpa1?:rolleyes:)

Nice Jeans are perfectly acceptable in the MDR on non formal evenings.

Unfortunately, there are no self service laundry facilities onboard Celebrity ships.

Best regards,

Despegue

Jeans with no holes? How would a lawyer interpret that?

Are jeans with patches acceptable? There are no holes as they are covered.

What about those designer jeans that females wear wear the cut out is part of the design.

What if the jean has button holes? Holes are holes.

What about the holes where your legs fit thru?

Then there are the loop holes. Need them for the belt.

There are always loop holes, and people keep looking for them.

Thank you all for helpful information. I am not worry about formal nights, because he has a suit, just worry about casual nights. But no problems, we just buy 2 or 3 khakis pants and nice shirts he can change into.

Because we are traveling from southern California, we don't want to pack too much.

Thank you all for helpful information. I am not worry about formal nights, because he has a suit, just worry about casual nights. But no problems, we just buy 2 or 3 khakis pants and nice shirts he can change into.

Because we are traveling from southern California, we don't want to pack too much.

That sounds perfect! Here's the link to the Celebrity website. There's actually a lot of handy information on it that will give you the heads up on what to expect. When I was new to Celebrity I think I read it cover-to-cover. ;) Have a great cruise! http://http://www.celebritycruises.com/home.do?cS=GlobalHeader

Jeans with no holes? How would a lawyer interpret that?

Are jeans with patches acceptable? There are no holes as they are covered.

What about those designer jeans that females wear wear the cut out is part of the design.

What if the jean has button holes? Holes are holes.

What about the holes where your legs fit thru?

Then there are the loop holes. Need them for the belt.

There are always loop holes, and people keep looking for them.

Miched, I LOVE the way you write!! I wanted to add, not that I haven't said this elsewhere, that on Celebrity, although technically jeans (I won't comment on the holes, haha!) are acceptable on non-formal nights, rarely are they actually worn - the vast majority of people do not wear jeans at night, and during the day, it's too warm - clearly, depending upon the itinerary! :rolleyes:

Jeans weigh more that chinos/khakis or other trousers that I have, so I rarely take them on cruises, preferring to save the weight for another blazer...or shoes!

Andrew

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived