Transatlantic Disembarkation

I just booked the Liberty's TA crossing from Barcelona to FLL. I've been looking at flights and noticed that the itinerary has us arriving at 6am.

I know with a typical 8am arrival, I shouldn't book a flight before 11am. Roughly what time would be the earliest flight that you would recommend? I noted that in a few posts, folks mentioned disembarkation taking a lot longer because the ship has been outside the US for so long, so I wasn't sure how much time to build in.

A lot of people will probably say that you can do an early flight if you self disembark, but they are often referring to the Allure or Oasis.

We came back on the Independence last November from a TA, and even though the shipped docked early the disembarkation was not that early -don't remember an exact time, but I know they kept calling people by name, etc., and it took a while. They were definitely not as organized as the Allure.

I think 11:00 a.m. flight is a good time.

Did this cruise last fall. Disembarkation was a nightmare and we had priority because we were going on a RC tour. Took so long we missed the tour along with many others. Luggage was late clearing customs. Much of the luggage was in the wrong place so people were roaming about trying to find their things. Customs line was the worst I've ever seen. Didn't get out of the building until around 10:45 - 11:00 and we were some of the first people out.

If you chose to do an early flight be sure to do a walk off with your luggage.

The combination of the first arrival after being out of the country for a long time, and the normal lack of efficiency at Liberty's terminal in Port Everglades would make me uncomfortable with an 11am flight. I'd go for 1pm or later.

Thanks for the info! Just booked a 2:30 flight.

What time does disembarkation generally start? Hoping I might be able to sleep in a little :D

Good move with the later flights. I've done a few TAs into FLL - they have always gone badly. My guess is that things get started around 9, and finish sometime around 11.

Sleep in? Forget it. You've had a great trip. This will be your day for endless delays, long lines, and simmering tempers. Good luck, and try to keep your cool!

A lot of people will probably say that you can do an early flight if you self disembark, but they are often referring to the Allure or Oasis.

We came back on the Independence last November from a TA, and even though the shipped docked early the disembarkation was not that early -don't remember an exact time, but I know they kept calling people by name, etc., and it took a while. They were definitely not as organized as the Allure.

I think 11:00 a.m. flight is a good time.

I missed an important word ..... sorry ..... I meant to say a flight AFTER 11:00 a.m. is a good time. I see now you have booked 2:30, which should be fine.

Agree with other posters - not a day to sleep in! Cabin stewards will be working early trying to get ready for the next cruise. One of those "hurry up and wait" days so be prepared!

I just booked the Liberty's TA crossing from Barcelona to FLL. I've been looking at flights and noticed that the itinerary has us arriving at 6am.

I know with a typical 8am arrival, I shouldn't book a flight before 11am. Roughly what time would be the earliest flight that you would recommend? I noted that in a few posts, folks mentioned disembarkation taking a lot longer because the ship has been outside the US for so long, so I wasn't sure how much time to build in.

I'm puzzled, Why does it matter how long you have been out of the country? We have been out of the country for more than two weeks and I don't remember closer scrutiny when we came back. Does it make a difference by sea or air? Is there a magic number of days? Just curious~

Agree with other posters - not a day to sleep in! Cabin stewards will be working early trying to get ready for the next cruise. One of those "hurry up and wait" days so be prepared!

Well, by sleeping in I meant at least sleeping until maybe 8 or so. I'm still a cruise newbie, but I learned quickly enough that embarkation/disembarkation days are not leisurely days -- Especially not for the staff.

I'm puzzled, Why does it matter how long you have been out of the country? We have been out of the country for more than two weeks and I don't remember closer scrutiny when we came back. Does it make a difference by sea or air? Is there a magic number of days? Just curious~

I don't know the time limit, but I've been told by ship's officers that when a ship returns after being of the country for a certain length of time, every crewmember has to see US agents on shore. This consumes the limited supply of agents and makes the process with the passengers go slower. In addition, I believe there are also Coast Guard and US Public Health inspections.

I don't know the time limit, but I've been told by ship's officers that when a ship returns after being of the country for a certain length of time, every crewmember has to see US agents on shore. This consumes the limited supply of agents and makes the process with the passengers go slower. In addition, I believe there are also Coast Guard and US Public Health inspections.

Thanks for the explanation Bob. That would explain why Air is different.

Still I got a chuckle. Only in the USA would our officials worry more about people not getting off the ship before the people actually entering the country. Too funny, the ultimate in bureaucratic thinking. :D

Thanks for the explanation Bob. That would explain why Air is different.

Still I got a chuckle. Only in the USA would our officials worry more about people not getting off the ship before the people actually entering the country. Too funny, the ultimate in bureaucratic thinking. :D

It's not "US", it's the ship (with its crew) having been out of the country for a long time. The passengers don't bother them. But the crew come from all different countries, and U.S. authorities want to check to be sure that they are all entering the country legally and with full documentation.

On a typical RCI Cruise everybody who boarded the ship began in the USA and there's a presumption that everybody is eligible to be here. That's not true for a transatlantic and that probably explains a lot of the extra time and scrutiny.

Roy

Do not book a flight before 1 or 2 following debarkation from a TA. Our's took hours and many missed their flights. We had a 1:30 flight and just made it without time to spare.

Customs & Immigration will take longer when a ship returns to the U.S. following a TA sailing. We were advised to not book an early flight, and I am glad we took that advice!

It's not "US", it's the ship (with its crew) having been out of the country for a long time. The passengers don't bother them. But the crew come from all different countries, and U.S. authorities want to check to be sure that they are all entering the country legally and with full documentation.

I see your point. But the explanation was customs agents were handling crew members before and during debarkation of passengers. Take care of passengers FIRST, then you can scrutinize the crew. Why delay the passenger process? If they never get off the ship are they actually entering the country?

I am glad you chose a late flight. We had a bad disembarkation from LOS after a transatlantic. Customs and Immigration started late and staffed too lightly. elevators were jammed. Fortunately we had allowed enough time and made our flight. Others did not.

I see your point. But the explanation was customs agents were handling crew members before and during debarkation of passengers. Take care of passengers FIRST, then you can scrutinize the crew. Why delay the passenger process? If they never get off the ship are they actually entering the country?

Because most crew do get off the ship. Especially after long transatlantic crossings. They usually will have also got off in some of the ports.

Well, by sleeping in I meant at least sleeping until maybe 8 or so. I'm still a cruise newbie, but I learned quickly enough that embarkation/disembarkation days are not leisurely days -- Especially not for the staff.

I am going from memory, not just on our TA, but on other cruises too, I think we were told to vacate our cabin by 8:00 a.m.

You receive detailed paperwork with your luggage tags that tells you exactly what locations are open for breakfast, with the hours. Also, you are usually given a designated waiting area. We have been assigned to the theater a few times. Also, your Crown and Anchor status can enter in to which waiting area you are in - we are Diamond and have also had a specific Diamond waiting area.

After the ship clears they begin calling the luggage tags by color for departure off the ship. The people taking off their own bags go first, usually followed by the people taking shore excursions in Fort Lauderdale, and then the color of your luggage tags. You fill out paperwork with your flight number and time and this is how they determine your color tag (I think!) or if you are self-drive.

Hope that helps a little! As I said earlier, be prepared to "hurry up and wait."

We did the LOS TA back in Oct 2011 and the disembarking was total chaos, we missed out on our Post Tour and many many missed their flights, We know of several of our Roll Call members who never got off the ship until after 11, I would take a flight after noon if you can. Inside the ship it was backed up because the customs were way behind and people were stuck on elevators going up & down. We ended up walking down 3 decks to get to our area and were not called until after 10, and physically not off the ship for another hour. We were on the same cruise with Keywest but had a 3:30 flight so were alright. We did get credit for our missed tour.

I am going from memory, not just on our TA, but on other cruises too, I think we were told to vacate our cabin by 8:00 a.m.

You receive detailed paperwork with your luggage tags that tells you exactly what locations are open for breakfast, with the hours. Also, you are usually given a designated waiting area. We have been assigned to the theater a few times. Also, your Crown and Anchor status can enter in to which waiting area you are in - we are Diamond and have also had a specific Diamond waiting area.

Sounds like this process is different from HAL (my only previous sailing experience. We were allowed to remain in our stateroom until it was time to disembark, which for us was fairly early because we had 12pm flights.

Archived