Purchasing an expensive item in port.

Hello... lemme preface this question by saying I've done no research on this topic....So I'm planning to buy a Louis Vutton bag on my cruise in Sept. I will get it from the store in San Juan, St Thomas or Barbados. My question is which port is better im thinking San Juan or St Thomas bc they are US Terri. What would I do about paying tax? Help? What should I do should I jut get it at home.

I think the first $800 of items that you bring back to the US is duty free. Above that you will have to pay a percentage.

Make sure you know what you are getting. Knock-offs are common in the islands.

I am with you on this one. I would not take the chance. Some of the knock offs are very difficult to distinguish.

I have bought Coach and L.V. in St. Thomas and St. Maartin...KNOWING...they were knock offs.

The first $800.00 per person there is no duty. You share this if it is more than one of you. If you go over the limit you pay the duty so keep your receipt.

Be careful where you go and know the price at home.

St Thomas over San Juan for best price.

Keith

I would price what you want at home first, before you go on your cruise, so you know what it would cost at home. Then when you are in the islands shop only at the official store, not a little booth in a marketplace.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you will get a better price than at home. Please let us know if you do! I think we would have heard here; if prices were better and we would know people who bought theirs in the Carib.

Guest maddycat

If you buy real LV at their store the only thing that you will save is the sales tax. Real LV is not discounted. As others have said save your receipt to show at customs.

Your duty free exemption is doubled if you buy in St. Thomas, St. Croix or St. John.

Purchases made in USVI must be included in your Custom's Declaration.

You do not have to declare any purchases made in San Juan. Keep receipts for any Puerto Rico purchases separate and do not include them on your Customs Declaration.

If you purchase a Louis Vuitton item in St. Thomas (at Yacht Haven Marina shops), you will save sales tax but the price of the item will be the same as at home.

I made a purchase there and had a problem with it when I got home. I e-mailed them about the problem and they responded immediately. They told me to bring it to a local LV location but I told them that was not convenient for me. We returned to St. Thomas about 5 months later. I brought the (justt about unused) handbag and a copy of the e-mails we had exchanged. They tried to repair the zipper while we waited but failed and they gave me a full credit. VERY good customer service IMO and I have shopped there since because of the positive way we were treated.

Hope this helps.

I made a purchase there and had a problem with it when I got home. I e-mailed them about the problem and they responded immediately. They told me to bring it to a local LV location but I told them that was not convenient for me. We returned to St. Thomas about 5 months later. I brought the (justt about unused) handbag and a copy of the e-mails we had exchanged. They tried to repair the zipper while we waited but failed and they gave me a full credit. VERY good customer service IMO and I have shopped there since because of the positive way we were treated.

I have had the impression that you would not get much after the sale customer service in the Caribbean since they really don't expect to see you again. It's good to know that at least some stores really will stand by their product.

I am with you on this one. I would not take the chance. Some of the knock offs are very difficult to distinguish.

I have bought Coach and L.V. in St. Thomas and St. Maartin...KNOWING...they were knock offs.

Me too! thats why I went there. They were VERY good knock offs. Stitching and zippers were great, insides were awesome. Im hard on purses and not really a 'purse girl' but it is nice to have them.

before buying a fake or knockoff designer bag, please google "knockoffs child labour" and read up on child trafficking, loss of american jobs and terrorism.

They can also be confiscated upon arrival in the US.

before buying a fake or knockoff designer bag, please google "knockoffs child labour" and read up on child trafficking, loss of american jobs and terrorism.

Yes, yes, YES!

For those of you who remember Jane110, she would give an ear full on knock offs, and rightly so.

And, never buy them in Italy. The buyer is fined!!

I have had the impression that you would not get much after the sale customer service in the Caribbean since they really don't expect to see you again. It's good to know that at least some stores really will stand by their product.

I generally feel the same that as soon as you walk out the door of most of those stores, they are finished with you. It is for that reason that whenever it is appropriate, I repeat the story about how well LV treaded us. When a shop is as responsive and reputable as this store, I wish to make it known whenever I can. They made no attempt to blame me for delay in returning (knowing we were on a cruise when we made the purchase) and agreed it was defective. I notified them of the defect within three weeks of purchase and the Manager admitted she remembered and didn't even need to see my 'evidence'... the e-mails we had exchanged.

What more can one expect?

afaik, Louis Vuitton bags are only sold in their own stores, and shops-in-shops (like at Harrods or Selfridges).

I'd be very careful buying something like that outside of an official LV store.

Yes. I have never seen authentic LV sold anywhere but their own signature stores or shop within fine Department Stores such as Harrods, Saks etc

If one buys a LV on the street, in a souvenir type shop or anything but an obviously high end boutique store, there is no confusion they are buying a fake. They are making a conscious decision to make that illegal purchase. I read this week NYC wants to start fining buyers for shopping for fakes on the street.

Wow there's a lot of talk on here ab knock offs. That's just not my style lol. The bag is my 30th bday gift and as I stated I am getting it directly from the LV store. Sail7seas thanks so much for that info. It's exactly what I was looking for. I will be getting it in San Juan. We will fly in on Sat since the store is closed on Sundays in San Juan. Thanks again.

Archived