Behinds the scenes tour?

Hikini

This will be the first cruise we have been Platinum, and one of the perks says a behind-the-scenes tour.

Who has done this as a Platinum member and what does it consist of?

It is a very interesting tour. Takes about 2 1/2 hours or so. Closed toed shoes are required. There are a lot of stairs to climb. I loved being in the Galley, some of the provision rooms (several of which were very chilly) and the laundry. It is amazing how much they do in a given day. The tour I did including the Bridge (depending on the Captain) that might always be the case. My tour was on the last sea day.

That's what I was hoping for - thanks for the info!

At what point in the cruise did this take place for you?

It has taken place different days and times on each cruise.

You will receive a "Platinum Package" in your stateroom upon embarkation.

We have missed a few tours as they were scheduled the same time as the CC Meet and Greet, so we talked to the Latitude Consultant onboard and she set us up on the "Regular" tour which was more in depth than the Platinum tour.

It is a great perk and lots of fun!

We have toured the bridge before (on the Star) and I don't mean to minimize that at all, but I would love to see the galley! However, if offered a bridge tour we would jump on it again.

Can't wait!

On the Pearl we did all that was mentioned in the previous posts. Pictures yes, but no video please. You are close to invading the privacy of the crew occasionally. I checked with the front desk at the beginning of the cruise to see when the tour would be. They weren't sure which day it would be scheduled, but they did put my name on the list requesting it, and I was notified later as to when it was. Up and down lots of stairs and no place to sit and rest along the way. Be sure you are physically able to do that.

On the Pearl we did all that was mentioned in the previous posts. Pictures yes, but no video please. You are close to invading the privacy of the crew occasionally. I checked with the front desk at the beginning of the cruise to see when the tour would be. They weren't sure which day it would be scheduled, but they did put my name on the list requesting it, and I was notified later as to when it was. Up and down lots of stairs and no place to sit and rest along the way. Be sure you are physically able to do that.

Usually the tours include the Engine Control Room as well. The engine spaces are off limits to all crew except the engine department, besides, these are noisy and HOT. CCTV cameras in the ECR will allow you to see most of the engine spaces anyway. Usually the department head of a given area will talk about what goes on, and answer questions.

I just realized that the title of my post says "Behinds" the scenes tour. No, I'm not interested in touring anyone's behinds! :D

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm looking forward to the tour.

I did it on the Gem and had a blast. Their were about 12 of on the tour and it lasted a little over 3 hours including a tour of the bridge with the captain. The woman who took us around said upfront No pictures or video would be allowed with the exception of the bridge. I was a little bummed, but they seemed to be doing some exercises and drills with the crew as we were walking around, got to see the water tight doors being tested:D

This is our first platinum cruise too! I'm so excited about getting some nice perks. I think the behind the scenes tour sounds like an interesting thing that my DH would love and so would I. I'm also glad to hear that a nice envelope will be waiting for us in our cabin. I didn't know how that worked, if we had to ask for it or something. I've never been on any other cruise line so I feel we do actually deserve a little something. Have a great cruise. Carole:)

On our June 3rd Alaska cruise on the Sun there were not enough platinum members to have a separate tour (for which we are grateful because it was scheduled to be on Glacier Bay day). Instead we were allowed to join the purchased behind the scenes tour .... it was on Sunday Hubbard Glacier Day but after we had left the glacier.

Tour was very interesting. We were allowed to take photos and or videos of all except crew quarters. Originally we were told we would see a crew stateroom but that didn't happen but we did see their bar / gathering area. A bridge tour was included but we didn't get very far into the bridge.

Ice Cream Storage

ebf22ef6-2a36-4ffd-903d-d8551309d6dc_zps840487e8.jpg

From galley tour - the galley tour was quite extensive. Some rooms were very cold so dress accordingly. My photos were done on the iphone and I haven't uploaded them yet. Here is one Larry got of our chef tour guide who arranged for chilled strawberry soup to be available at dinner that night :)

ab80e8b8-4963-45be-a2fe-ec90e0fc2bab_zps3126a3f0.jpg

I just realized that the title of my post says "Behinds" the scenes tour. No, I'm not interested in touring anyone's behinds! :D

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm looking forward to the tour.

Too funny!

We did the Platinum tour on the Jewel last fall, and it didn't include the Bridge tour. We did another one last month on the Sun that did include the Bridge tour and was much better over all. We spent over 30 minutes in the Bridge talking to the Captain (Tommy Stensrud -- the friendliest, most visible of all the captains we have cruised with). While we were in the Galley, the Executive Chef came out and talked with us.

Ship%20Tour%20Bridge1-M.jpg

Ship%20Tour%20Galley-M.jpg

Both tours were conducted by the Future Cruise Consultant. The one on the Sun was around 4:00 the day we were in Ketchikan.

One other thing -- Captain Stensrud left the Sun after our cruise. He told us his next ship was the Pearl, so you may see him.

We are platinum for the first time on our next cruise. Does anyone know if there is a age limit, our 8 year son will be with us on our next cruise and not sure if he can join us?

I was going to ask exactly the same thing. We should be platinum next year and we cruise with our son, who will be 9 then. I was wondering what happens in such situations. Obviously he doesn't have latitudes status, although he would get platinum a couple of cruises after us if he did qualify.

I kind of assume that he wouldn't be able to accompany us, either because he isn't platinum or because there is an age limit, but have been meaning to check it out.

I was going to ask exactly the same thing. We should be platinum next year and we cruise with our son, who will be 9 then. I was wondering what happens in such situations. Obviously he doesn't have latitudes status, although he would get platinum a couple of cruises after us if he did qualify.

I kind of assume that he wouldn't be able to accompany us, either because he isn't platinum or because there is an age limit, but have been meaning to check it out.

I don't know the answers. However, I consider it primarily an adult level interest event. For a younger person, there might be little interest in standing gathered in a tight cluster of adults while listening to another adult explain the activities of the ship. Although you move from location to location, that scenario repeats itself for about 2 1/2 hours. There is no opportunity to leave the tour group while it is not in public areas. A security guard accompanies you to insure all persons remain together and depart each area together. I really don't think a young person would be very interested in the tour, assuming it's permitted.

I don't know the answers. However, I consider it primarily an adult level interest event. For a younger person, there might be little interest in standing gathered in a tight cluster of adults while listening to another adult explain the activities of the ship. Although you move from location to location, that scenario repeats itself for about 2 1/2 hours. There is no opportunity to leave the tour group while it is not in public areas. A security guard accompanies you to insure all persons remain together and depart each area together. I really don't think a young person would be very interested in the tour, assuming it's permitted.

Yeah, I'd kind of assumed that to be the case, which is the man reason why I hadn't got round to asking the question before. I was just interested to know if it was an option if we decided that he may like it.

Another question though. I am one cruise ahead of my wife. I assume the tour is only for platinums, and not for others who are sharing the room? If so I imagine I will wait until we are both platinum before doing it.

Yeah, I'd kind of assumed that to be the case, which is the man reason why I hadn't got round to asking the question before. I was just interested to know if it was an option if we decided that he may like it.

Another question though. I am one cruise ahead of my wife. I assume the tour is only for platinums, and not for others who are sharing the room? If so I imagine I will wait until we are both platinum before doing it.

I saw on NCL that they indicate non-platinum must pay, you may want to wait. Your son will be one year older too! :) Do they do BTST on the Epic?

We may want to do it. We did the Disney World one, and my boys LOVED it.

They are 18 and 21, so I don't need to worry .. and this may be a good use of OBC.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally reached platinum status :)

As for the tour, is it just 1 invite for me only? Travelling with our 2 children & husband... will they have to stay behind while mommy go on tour? or are they invited too?

Archived