WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

We just returned home tody from our 12 night Baltic Cruise onboard the AOS. It was our first RCI cruise and it was fabulous!!!!!

We asked to have our gratuities removed (which totalled $432). We do this because we like to tip the staff ourselves- When all is aid and done- between the kids club, cocktail waiters, MDR staff and room attendant- we ended up tipping more than $700-- I do believe we are the exception. We know people that removed their gratuities and tipped less than $200 for all staff for the 12 dAYS. iT REALLY IS UNFORTUNATE.

I think that those who only tipped $200 were really cheap. I am a firm believer in making the tips a non-removable service charge. I believe that was the policy we had on NCL. They had the service charge and if there were a problem, they would try to rectify the problem and if they couldn't, then and only then would that part of the tips removed.

I am not trying to say YOU paid the at least the minimum you should have paid to the wait staff etc, because the difference between the requested $432 and the over $700 is about $300. If you had several drinks, the tips for those add up quickly, Even a couple of drinks a day per couple would come to close to a minimum of $5- $10 per day x 12 days. If the kids had a soda card, there was a gratuity on that too.

I don't know how much you tipped the kids club etc. It's none of my business how much you gave to person x y or z, but although it sounds like you really tipped a whole lot more, that may or may not be. JMO.

Edited by katiel53

A concept many can not grasp here, and why I have no idea. If I'm eating every night in the WJ and return to the same table and the same server each night-that is my dining room wait staff and that is where I want my tips to go. Not some server in the MDR I have never seen.

Or-

If I eat every night in a specialty restaurant and give them extra for any breakfast or lunch meals, why not? I'm sure they worked somewhere else too.

I think we do understand. You can't fool us. We know what removing tips means.

This thread is a bit weird and just shows how we make assumptions based on one small thing. What anyone does regarding tips is just one tiny action of a persons life. Some people may really struggle with tips because they don't earn much in a job that, for example, helps to save lives. Or they spend all their spare time working for good causes. Others may be loaded and feel good about tipping well yet spend the rest of the year being misers. most people are somewhere in the middle and able to make their own judgments based on their own morals and values.

I think we do understand. You can't fool us. We know what removing tips means.

If it makes you feel better to think that-go right on ahead.

awhcruiser- and if it makes you feel better to like it-go right on ahead too!!

:D

While some may choose to paint all service on RCCL ships as exceptional, our experience over the years is that this is not so. Even tho the vast majority of service personnel are in fact praiseworthy, on occasion we have had some that were at best poor. It is illogical to reward those bad with a gratuity which is given for good service provided.

Too much common sense for this board.

Why remove your tips and then tip $700? If you believe in tipping personally and plan to tip above requested amount then just hand the person cash and say this is in addition to the tips on our card. People that remove tips tip less for the most part or nothing at all.

I know I will probably get flamed for this post, but.... Why would someone want to remove tips?

It could be just a traditional view of what "tips" are all about and/or the principle of it.

If it is automatically entered on the bill and pre-paid, it isn't a tip anymore. It is a service fee. And many of us STILL pay above and beyond to those that touch us directly (steward, waiter/asst waiter, etc).

Maybe that was the point. So now we are tipping before AND after...what a deal :D

What about the future? Perhaps it is only a matter of time until the % of prepaid is raised. Next year? 5 years from now, etc.... eventually could it be raised to 17%? Then 20%? If so, you can bet service will deteriorate, if only slightly, if this is a slippery slope that the industry has put itself on.

**fwiw, I prepay AND reward more...and have no intention of removing my tips but I understand that there are legit reasons for OTHERS and I will not judge them as stiffers.... unless they are PROVEN to be so.

Edited by KevinKruzer

What about the future? Perhaps it is only a matter of time until the % of prepaid is raised. Next year? 5 years from now, etc.... eventually could it be raised to 17%? Then 20%? If so, you can bet service will deteriorate, if only slightly, if this is a slippery slope that the industry has put itself on.

You inadvertently make an interesting point. Cruise tips are not based on percentage of what you paid. They're based on some amount that the cruise line says that people should tip. So, someone in the cheapest inside cabin pays as much as the person in an expensive balcony. Only those in suites pay more (and not much more, maybe a dollar a day more). Now given that people pay different prices for the same class of cabins, percentages won't work, and it probably shouldn't, since in theory everyone should get the same level of service (except for suites), even if you're in the cheapest cabin.

No one ever tips me at work....plus you will find all those on the ships earn very generous amounts compared to their economies..i spoke to one couple who said after 3 yrs on a ship they bought their house in full....it takes a uk resident approx 25 yrs or more to do that .so whos poor ? Makes you wonder !!! So if you want to tip then tip if not dont...but dont tell me what i should or shouldnt do....:-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

No one ever tips me at work....plus you will find all those on the ships earn very generous amounts compared to their economies..i spoke to one couple who said after 3 yrs on a ship they bought their house in full....it takes a uk resident approx 25 yrs or more to do that .so whos poor ? Makes you wonder !!! So if you want to tip then tip if not dont...but dont tell me what i should or shouldnt do....:-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

No one ever tips me either......but I am not a waiter, taxi driver, hairdresser or barman. There are few jobs that are based on tipping. Are you one of those? That might explain why nobody tips you.

If you and your partner were prepared to work abroad in say Dubai or some other bull economy for 3 years you would probably make a big dint in your mortgage.

In any event, chosing not to tip is your prerogative. But it eventually puts the prices up for those who do. Plus by not tipping you are breaking the spirit of the cruise contract.

While not an express clause it is certainly Implied that you will tip.

Enjoy your cruise whatever happens. But it's really mean to stiff the waiters and cabin attendants who serve you during your cruise.

No one ever tips me at work....plus you will find all those on the ships earn very generous amounts compared to their economies

Yes, based on receiving their menial salary plus tips! If no one tipped them, they wouldn't be able to afford that house you mentioned. And how many hours a week do you work compared to these folks on the cruise?

Yes, based on receiving their menial salary plus tips! If no one tipped them, they wouldn't be able to afford that house you mentioned. And how many hours a week do you work compared to these folks on the cruise?

But the only reason they are on a menial salary is because the company get away with it. I personally will not tip, even for good service - i have paid for good service. If, someone went beyond the call of duty or did something particularly special, then yes. But not for doing their job.

But the only reason they are on a menial salary is because the company get away with it. I personally will not tip, even for good service - i have paid for good service. If, someone went beyond the call of duty or did something particularly special, then yes. But not for doing their job.

I disagree. You really haven't paid for good service. Even though you disagree with the concept, tips (really service charges) are part of the cost of cruising. It is made clear by the cruise line and expected by the worker.

Making a point really only hurts the worker. You are not sending a message to the cruise line. I would not be able to enjoy my vacation knowing that the people waiting on me hand and foot were expecting a gratuity at the end of the week and I had no intention of extending one.

Some cruise lines are moving away from gratuities and including them in the cost of the cruise. Those lines are considerably more expensive.

No one ever tips me either......but I am not a waiter, taxi driver, hairdresser or barman. There are few jobs that are based on tipping. Are you one of those? That might explain why nobody tips you.

If you and your partner were prepared to work abroad in say Dubai or some other bull economy for 3 years you would probably make a big dint in your mortgage.

In any event, chosing not to tip is your prerogative. But it eventually puts the prices up for those who do. Plus by not tipping you are breaking the spirit of the cruise contract.

While not an express clause it is certainly Implied that you will tip.

Enjoy your cruise whatever happens. But it's really mean to stiff the waiters and cabin attendants who serve you during your cruise.

YES Yes I agree good response!

Edited by storm1of4

Counting other people's money is silly. Making judgment about their job in relation to their (perceived) income is foolish and petty.

I think RCi should have two fares...

(1) for people who agree to pay the gratuity

or (2) People who think it should be built into the fare, or otherwise for what ever reason do not agree with the Western culture of tipping, these people pay a different fare. A price that has the service already built into the price of the ticket. Then they will have no issues, or reasons to bother themselves with the income of anybodies' but their own.

Yes our gratuities do pay a major portion of the server's wages. The price of cruising is lower in part because of this.

To accept the lower price of the ticket, knowing it includes the understanding that you'll also tip the suggested amount only to purposely not tip or tip (what you feel is fair) amounts to dishonesty.

Of course you will not pay the higher fare just to avoid tipping............So atleast at the beginning of your vacation tell the server you don't tip. They'll still do their job. But they too can decide whether they want to perform any discretionary tasks while serving you and your loved ones.

Counting other people's money is silly. Making judgment about their job in relation to their (perceived) income is foolish and petty.

I think RCi should have two fares...

(1) for people who agree to pay the gratuity

or (2) People who think it should be built into the fare, or otherwise for what ever reason do not agree with the Western culture of tipping, these people pay a different fare. A price that has the service already built into the price of the ticket. Then they will have no issues, or reasons to bother themselves with the income of anybodies' but their own.

Yes our gratuities do pay a major portion of the server's wages. The price of cruising is lower in part because of this.

To accept the lower price of the ticket, knowing it includes the understanding that you'll also tip the suggested amount only to purposely not tip or tip (what you feel is fair) amounts to dishonesty.

Of course you will not pay the higher fare just to avoid tipping............So atleast at the beginning of your vacation tell the server you don't tip. They'll still do their job. But they too can decide whether they want to perform any discretionary tasks while serving you and your loved ones.

Very well said. I so agree with the last paragraph. If you plan not to tip, at least have the courtesy to inform your cabin attendant and servers. It is only fair. They will still serve you well but at least they won't have the disappointment of not receiving a tip at the week's end.

I find myself not tipping extra for good service on the ships anymore.I pay the pre-paid tips and therefore I am done with tipping before I get on board.I figure that if I get so-so service in one area and great service in another that it will wash out in the "pool". We will eat at a specialty restaurant and no longer tip extra as we still are paying the wait staff in the dining room. I may be wrong but that's how the new system has changed me.

And this is why servers hate waiting on people from outside the US.

It always amazes me that people will spend thousands of dollars to go on a vacation and then refuse to pay $80 per person for the tips.

My buddy is on the AOS at the moment and has a friend in GS.

On the current AOS sailing at 11.59pm last night (9 days into the 12 day cruise) 124 people (not staterooms) had asked for all gratuities to be removed from their Seapass accounts. His friend at GS said they also expect more people to request this tommorrow (the last day before disembarkation) as people tend to do it last minute as they assume their stateroom attendant/waiter/asst waiter won't find out (that's shocking and dishonest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that makes my blood boil :mad:)

Interestingly she did say that despite this happening with sometimes up to 400 passengers per cruise, there are now a lot more gratuities being paid than under the old system. Many more people would not pre-pay gratuities and then not pay anything in cash while on the cruise under the old way of administering gratuities. She said the worst cruises for this used to be the 6 day Caribbean sailings.

WOW ! :eek:

The only tip I ever worry about is my own, and that's between me and my staff, and the service I receive from them.

what does the cabin steward have to do with mini bar overcharges?

Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.

Now go reread the comment. :)