Passports and documents issues

nursinggal

Just curious. Does anyone know if being on a payment plan for back child support and staying current on child support would keep someone from cruising. Not looking for nasty opinions just Facts if you know them. Everyone's situations in life are different.

Just curious. Does anyone know if being on a payment plan for back child support and staying current on child support would keep someone from cruising. Not looking for nasty opinions just Facts if you know them. Everyone's situations in life are different.

It can prevent one from being approved for a passport.

If the alleged individual has a certified birth certificate and a Goverment issued photo ID ( such as valid drivers license), then said individual could complete a closed loop cruise. Assuming there are no warrants issued for alleged individuals arrest for alleged failure to pay back child support.

Thank you. That is kind of what I was thinking too. It is a tad bit scary though if there was an emergency and needed to fly back. Would you risk cruising a close loop cruise without a passport?

Many people do, you have to ask yourself how likely is it that something is going to happen that would require you to fly back?

As for the child support it is my understanding that if the back amount is less than $5000 they will still issue a passport (complete hearsay and not based on anything official). I would say if the person really wants a passport to go ahead and apply for it, the worst they can do is say no.

This is what I found:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_863.html

If you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you are not eligible to receive a U.S. passport.

You should make arrangements to pay the state where child support is owed BEFORE you submit your application for a U.S. passport. All questions about your child support arrears or the status of a payment should be directed to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency.

There is more on the link I provided.

This is what I found:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_863.html

If you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you are not eligible to receive a U.S. passport.

You should make arrangements to pay the state where child support is owed BEFORE you submit your application for a U.S. passport. All questions about your child support arrears or the status of a payment should be directed to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency.

There is more on the link I provided.

Thank you for the link for information. It is quite valuable. I appreciate the respectful replies on here. I saw on a previous forum where others flew into a judgmental attack on the person asking the question. I really appreciate you all :)

Hey OP & fellow North Carolinian! :)

I'm not sure if the child in question resides in NC or not, but I highly recommend you check on this before the person needing the passport applies for it. NC is very strict on child support laws and if the person owing the support is very far behind and they discover he is applying for a passport, the case worker can file a motion to get him into court immediately for the back support and possibly issue a warrant if it's not paid.

Hey OP & fellow North Carolinian! :)

I'm not sure if the child in question resides in NC or not, but I highly recommend you check on this before the person needing the passport applies for it. NC is very strict on child support laws and if the person owing the support is very far behind and they discover he is applying for a passport, the case worker can file a motion to get him into court immediately for the back support and possibly issue a warrant if it's not paid.

good for NC..

good for NC..

Agreed. The first question the case worker will ask the parent paying the support and direct towards the judge is how can they afford to go on a cruise when they are behind on child support.

If the parent paying the support is behind, NC will garnish wages and obtain their tax refund until all back support is received.

Agreed. The first question the case worker will ask the parent paying the support and direct towards the judge is how can they afford to go on a cruise when they are behind on child support.

If the parent paying the support is behind, NC will garnish wages and obtain their tax refund until all back support is received.

Might I ask if you are attorneys of law? As I stated in the beginning of this forum, I wanted unbiased facts only. Opinions not welcome. Unless you know the whole story of someone's situation, then it is wise to reserve comments. You wouldn't want the same of you. I have received the information that is needed on who to contact now to get the remaining of the questions answered in this regards. I thank those of you with good intentions of offering links directing me to the right place.

Just for further information. Through research at travel.state.gov there is an entire section on child support. As long as the parent is current paying child support and is in a payment plan for paying arrears, then the person CAN get a passport. It is about being responsible. As everyone in the US knows, the job markets plummeted, leaving many without work. I'm sure that caused plenty of well intended men/women to get behind. Yes, there are those who are deadbeat, but that is not the case here. I cannot speak for every situation, but I do try to reserve the negative comments unless I've walked a mile in the shoes of the one being judged.

Just a tip because we all know how State Government can work sometimes. Check to see that there is not a warrant out for the persons arrest.

We had a friend who had fallen behind, caught up through a payment plan and was even sent a letter stating he was paid current. He owned nothing further not even future payments as the children had grown up.

Months later he was pulled over for speeding and the officer arrested him on an outstanding warrant for non payment of child support. He tried to explain that he was current and paid in full but still went down town.

At his court hearing the judge was quite rude until he pulled out the papers that showed PAID

I mention this because some states have gotten really stick and even if you get the passport, if Customs finds the warrant on your way back in, it could really ruin the fun you had just had.

Best of luck and have fun

Just for further information. Through research at travel.state.gov there is an entire section on child support. As long as the parent is current paying child support and is in a payment plan for paying arrears, then the person CAN get a passport. It is about being responsible. As everyone in the US knows, the job markets plummeted, leaving many without work. I'm sure that caused plenty of well intended men/women to get behind. Yes, there are those who are deadbeat, but that is not the case here. I cannot speak for every situation, but I do try to reserve the negative comments unless I've walked a mile in the shoes of the one being judged.

You are right about everyone's situation being different. Don't get upset with what others think.....it's not their business to judge you.

You are doing the right thing by going on the state dept website for information. I would also call them, if there is a phone number provided, to get the facts straightened out. Another place where you can get info is the local court where the child support is being collected or where the paperwork is filed; or from your attorney if you have one.

Good luck, have a wonderful cruise and do post once you get everything settled.

Adding that I agree with the poster above. Get that checked out too.

In the final result, you are dealing with the US Government and that means one never knows what is going to happen :). IMHO you should apply for your Passport and then the ball is in their court. Rules and regulations, and citing such, are fine....but reality is sometimes a bit different (for better or worse).

Hank

Just a tip because we all know how State Government can work sometimes. Check to see that there is not a warrant out for the persons arrest.

We had a friend who had fallen behind, caught up through a payment plan and was even sent a letter stating he was paid current. He owned nothing further not even future payments as the children had grown up.

Months later he was pulled over for speeding and the officer arrested him on an outstanding warrant for non payment of child support. He tried to explain that he was current and paid in full but still went down town.

At his court hearing the judge was quite rude until he pulled out the papers that showed PAID

I mention this because some states have gotten really stick and even if you get the passport, if Customs finds the warrant on your way back in, it could really ruin the fun you had just had.

Best of luck and have fun

I'll be judgemental here. It is the height of negligence and poor government to diligently issue arrest warrants for anything and then fail to do less than that to properly withdraw the warrant as appropriate. It happens more than you know, and quite often by courts. The judges often have no idea of the outcome of their pronouncements.

Sorry I got a bit defensive. I had read a similar forum and people got so nasty and made inappropriate comments that i decided to start a new topic. I totally agree with finding out about outstanding warrants. I read up on that on the travel.state.gov. Would definitely not want any mishaps. Thank you all for the insight.

Is there some way to check in advance if there is an outstanding warrant for him?

Can he present himself at a police station and if there is any problem, he can learn about it at his 'convenience' and straighten out the issue rather than risk arrest upon returning to U.S?

I don't know if this is practical or not but I'd rather know I had a risk than learn the really hard way.

It's great to see people trying to do the right thing. Prejudging on the child support thing is common but there are so many reasons for people to miss. As someone who has been laid off and having trouble finding work for the past 3 years I can sympathize . You pay what you can pay. You had a valid honest question. As someone else said, check before you go. There are too many news stories about people being arrested on return. Ooops :eek: you don't want that to happen. Good luck and kudos for trying to be responsible.

Hi, Don't know anything about child support, but, to answer your other question, I have done many, many cruises without a passport. The funny thing is I just received my new passport in the mail today, I was getting so nervous about my BC being old and decrepit that I figured I should just get the passport and be done with it before I ran into a check-in agent who wouldn't accept my BC. My old passport expired in 2001 and I've gone on at least a dozen cruises since then. The only problem I ever had was one agent who was mystified by the fact that my BC (from 1963) was from MA. but, I currently live in VA, so, I have a VA driver's license. Guess I'm the only person who ever moved to a different state in 50 years....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived