Grandeur of the Seas returns July 12 WITHOUT BEING fully repaired!!

Our TA was notified last night that our cabin did not pass inspection and there was no where on the ship to relocate us.

What cabin number did you have booked?

It is terrible to have your vacation cancelled so close to sailing but at least they are erring on the side of caution.

Our TA was notified last night that our cabin did not pass inspection and there was no where on the ship to relocate us.

Thank you for the answer.

I wish that Royal Caribbean could have done something like the airlines do. Had they sent out an email asking for volunteers to drop off this cruise we would probably have done so. That way people that would be severely inconvenienced as yourself could have been reassigned the vacated cabins.

I wish that Royal Caribbean could have done something like the airlines do. Had they sent out an email asking for volunteers to drop off this cruise we would probably have done so. That way people that would be severely inconvenienced as yourself could have been reassigned the vacated cabins.

I agree. At least one poster on this thread sounds like he doesn't want to sail, too bad some arrangement couldn't be made with cruzintee to get her family in that cabin.

As I understand it--there is a special one night cruise on July 11, 2013.

Where did you get this info? I would book this in a heartbeat, it is not on the RCCL website or in the email sent out today...I can be in Baltimore in 4 hours!

okay that was a possibility and it does suck royally, but the other posts were all about safety issues.. which we all agree is something tahtw oudl never have been an issue in the first place.

We were among the cancelled. We were a party of five in two cabins, and had questioned our options six weeks ago, as we could have booked something else. We were given no other option then to wait. Well today we were scrambling to secure a vacation. We had a very limited time frame, as my dd is a teacher. We now have to drive to NY and have booked the Summit. We also have to put funds out for our vacation and wait on refunds.

So, for those of you who think it is no big deal, we are no better off, and in some ways worse off than the original cancelled passengers. All we got for this last minute mess, full refund and 25% fc voucher.

July 14 Summit? Come join our Roll Call! :)

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1773127

As I understand it--there is a special one night cruise on July 11, 2013. We should hear some buzz from that about the condition of the GOTS.

Royal would not want to bring the travel agents and high C and A onto a ship that is still in poor shape. That would be counterproductive.

Where did you get this information from? Is any of this factual or is it just speculation?

I am afraid that I may be the source of that "rumor". When someone posted last night about a July 11, one night cruise, I posted that perhaps it was a shakedown cruise.

I may not be the only one to have speculated or posted that last night, but I know that I did it.

hanging-head-in-shame-244x326.jpg

I was told that 73 rooms did not pass inspection. Royal told me that they will be working on them during the next few cruises. This was my second rebooking since the fire and my reservation is still in process for some reason.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I can understand rooms not being ready, but, not passing inspection? So, RCCL thought they were ready for passengers, but, the CG did not? That's troubling.:(

That is not exactly what bermudababe said....she didn't say who conducted the inspection. It could have been reps from corporate doing an inspection.

I can understand rooms not being ready, but, not passing inspection? So, RCCL thought they were ready for passengers, but, the CG did not? That's troubling.:(

No one has said who inspected the cabins. It could be the cruiselines own internal inspectors that didn't like something or the coast guard or someone else.

there's a difference between cabins not being back up to snuff for passengers, and the lifeboats not being up to snuff.

I used to work in a hotel and when we had a 'lovely' water main break that flooded the entire first floor of a wing, the water damage was pretty bad and several rooms were out of commission for months.

Oh, OK, about 4 or 5 people talked about the CG inspecting the ship, I guess that's why I thought that was what was said. But, the point still stands, you don't report for an inspection unless you think you are going to pass. If you know rooms aren't ready, why try to pass inspection with them?

Thank everyone for the kind thoughts and words. We are ok to go on the Summit. It is just an inconvenience since we live near Baltimore to now have to drive to NY. Also, we could not just transfer monies between the two cruises. This is the third vacation cancellation for us since April due to DH illness and subsequent surgery, so this morning he was very disappointed.

I am a little confused because I have read somewhere on this board of others being offered 50% toward a future cruise and then another 25%. We only got the refund + 25%. Any suggestions on this?

Oh, OK, about 4 or 5 people talked about the CG inspecting the ship, I guess that's why I thought that was what was said. But, the point still stands, you don't report for an inspection unless you think you are going to pass. If you know rooms aren't ready, why try to pass inspection with them?

There's a big difference between a seaworthiness inspection and whether all the sleeping rooms are usable. The authorities would have certified that the ship was safe and fit to sail, not whether all the beds were made.

Thank everyone for the kind thoughts and words. We are ok to go on the Summit. It is just an inconvenience since we live near Baltimore to now have to drive to NY. Also, we could not just transfer monies between the two cruises. This is the third vacation cancellation for us since April due to DH illness and subsequent surgery, so this morning he was very disappointed.

I hope things turn around for you guys, ... sounds like you've had a rough few months. A cruise may be like just what you need. ;)

I'm the one who asked about the monies being applied from one cruise to the other. That's what we did when our Pride 'Sandy' cruise was cancelled.

Sure made things easier.

Anyhow, hope you have a great, ... relaxing cruise. :)

As I understand it--there is a special one night cruise on July 11, 2013. We should hear some buzz from that about the condition of the GOTS.

Royal would not want to bring the travel agents and high C and A onto a ship that is still in poor shape. That would be counterproductive.

In addition to the TAs, there will also be a large presence of media reporting about the ship when she returns to Baltimore. This has been a big story in Baltimore since the fire, as the revenue loss to the city has been huge during the weeks that she has been out of service.

That's good point.

And to the folks who have been so inconvenienced by yet another forced cancellation, I hope you enjoy the cruises that have replaced your original plans.

a room can pass inspection, but not be ready.

the structural damage was probably minimal. the COSMETIC repairs are probably taking longer to achieve. new paint, new carpet, new furnishings. maybe the re wiring wasn't done,

when we were on EN last Christmas, that block of 16 new OV cabins on decks 7&8 were not finished in time, despite being pre sold as it were. they were supposed to first have pax the week before our cruise. ours was the first.

Hi: Could some (any) of the people who had their cruise cancelled please post the cabin number(s) they had? Or if they know which cabins (or at least the deck(s) which were deemed unfit for use? Thanks:o

Archived