Grandeur of the Seas returns July 12 WITHOUT BEING fully repaired!!

It seems the first cruise back for Grandeur next Friday, will be without 100% repair!?:confused:

Questions:

1. Was it rushed back into service too soon, so as to not lose precious cruise revenue?

2. How the needed repair is crucial to one's expected cruise experience?

3. How much is simply closing some affected cabins, not yet fully restored?

4. Will the toxic fumes of marine paint lacquer overwelm the scent of the sea?

5. Will passengers once onboard, having issues with these concerns, be allowed to rebook?

6. And... with what compensation-for the cost/inconvenience to upset pax, because of over-eager and demanding corporate demands?

As per thread, All things Grandeur...

Bermudababe19966 reports, "Just got the call that my July 12 cruise was cancelled due to ship being overbooked. Apparently some rooms that were affected due to fire aren't ready. "

Also, Marving9999,

"This is a very important issue. Apparently, Royal Caribbean is going to sail Grandeur of the Seas on July 12 will the repairs not being completed. I think it is important to find out whether it is just a few cabins where repairs are not done, or larger sections of the ship.

If public rooms have not be repaired, that is a major consideration on taking this cruise.

Lets please find out what is really going on here."

I think the July 12 cruise passengers deserve explanation before making the trip to Baltimore!

Al

We were on the Enchantment post dry dock and the ship was not finished. Construction workers were on board. Our boarding was delayed since the carpet in the Centrum had not been installed as of 1pm that day. By the time we boarded at 4pm, the Centrum was finished with all the furniture in place. The new staterooms that were added were not booked and had not been completed.

I do have allergies and the amount of dust and fumes from the dry dock did impact me. But, not to the point that I could not enjoy the cruise.

Ships are a constant work in progress. I have not been on a cruise where they were not painting, cleaning, refurnishing something. A ship does not have to be in dry dock to do many of the upkeep items that are necessary.

It costs money to have a ship tied up at a pier. Also there is the loss of revenue from all of the staterooms. To hold an entire ship out of service to complete some staterooms is just not cost justified.

I am sorry for those that are having their cruises cancelled but I assume that RCI will do something for them. The other side is there are many people will get to go ahead with their summer vacation plans.

It seems the first cruise back for Grandeur next Friday, will be without 100% repair!?:confused:

Questions:

1. Was it rushed back into service too soon, so as to not lose precious cruise revenue?

5. Will passengers once onboard, having issues with these concerns, be allowed to rebook?

6. And... with what compensation-for the cost/inconvenience to upset pax, because of over-eager and demanding corporate demands?

Bermudababe19966 reports, "Just got the call that my July 12 cruise was cancelled due to ship being overbooked. Apparently some rooms that were affected due to fire aren't ready. "

Also, Marving9999,

"This is a very important issue. Apparently, Royal Caribbean is going to sail Grandeur of the Seas on July 12 will the repairs not being completed. I think it is important to find out whether it is just a few cabins where repairs are not done, or larger sections of the ship.

If public rooms have not be repaired, that is a major consideration on taking this cruise.

I think the July 12 cruise passengers deserve explanation before making the trip to Baltimore!

Al

You seem extremely concerned about this. Why are you making such a to do over it??

We are scheduled to be on the July 12th sailing and DO NOT need any explanation before boarding.

I DO NOT believe that Royal Caribbean will put us in harms way.

It will NOT negatively impact my cruise IF the aft night club is not completely repaired and the Quest or nightly Diamond gathering is not held there. If some of the aft cabins are still under repair and the guests that were to have occupied them have been notified and given the same compensation as those on the 6 cruises that were canceled then all is fair.

I have absolutely NO second thoughts about boarding the Grandeur on July 12.

And?

Questions:

Also, Marving9999,

Al

Actually your post seems totally without merit especially based on the other threads your quoted. What exactly is the point of your thread? Or are you just trying to stir the pot a little?

I think all of you are missing the point. Besides the cabins and other areas that might have not been repaired, are we sure the all of the safety issues damaged during the fire have been completed.

If you remember, mooring ropes were damaged and a number of life rafts were destroyed in addition to the entire rear of the ship for 3 or 4 decks.

I think it would be nice for Royal Caribbean to make a statement that indicates specifically what areas have and have not been repaired.

I would hope that the ship will be inspected by the Coast Guard when it arrives in Baltimore (first US port) prior to taking on passengers for the one day cruise on July 11.

As a passenger on the July 12 sailing, that would make me feel a whole lot better.

Although I have been on 18 previous cruises, the issues on cruise ships over the past year are very concerning. If Royal Caribbean is willing to be honest with its customers, that will go along way in proving the integrity of the company.

Marvin Morris

I think all of you are missing the point. Besides the cabins and other areas that might have not been repaired, are we sure the all of the safety issues damaged during the fire have been completed.

I would hope that the ship will be inspected by the Coast Guard when it arrives in Baltimore (first US port) prior to taking on passengers for the one day cruise on July 11.

yes the CG will inspect. do you HONESTLY think, in the wake of Costa and Carnival's recent issues, that Royal will even THINK about cutting corners or fail to complete the important repairs before releasing the ship to resume work?!

I think you are LOOKING for an excuse to cancel without penalty or to find fault once on board afterward

If you remember, mooring ropes were damaged and a number of life rafts were destroyed in addition to the entire rear of the ship for 3 or 4 decks.

I think it would be nice for Royal Caribbean to make a statement that indicates specifically what areas have and have not been repaired.

As a passenger on the July 12 sailing, that would make me feel a whole lot better.

Although I have been on 18 previous cruises, the issues on cruise ships over the past year are very concerning. If Royal Caribbean is willing to be honest with its customers, that will go along way in proving the integrity of the company.

Marvin Morris

Of course that ship will have a Coast Guard inspection prior to your cruise. It would not be allowed to sail from a US port otherwise. There is absolutely no way that ship will sail with passengers if there are any safety issues remaining from the fire. The cruiseline wouldn't allow it and neither would the Coast Guard.

As I understand it--there is a special one night cruise on July 11, 2013. We should hear some buzz from that about the condition of the GOTS.

Royal would not want to bring the travel agents and high C and A onto a ship that is still in poor shape. That would be counterproductive.

Marvin Morris

Where did you get this information from? Is any of this factual or is it just speculation?

We were among the cancelled. We were a party of five in two cabins, and had questioned our options six weeks ago, as we could have booked something else. We were given no other option then to wait. Well today we were scrambling to secure a vacation. We had a very limited time frame, as my dd is a teacher. We now have to drive to NY and have booked the Summit. We also have to put funds out for our vacation and wait on refunds.

So, for those of you who think it is no big deal, we are no better off, and in some ways worse off than the original cancelled passengers. All we got for this last minute mess, full refund and 25% fc voucher.

We were among the cancelled. We were a party of five in two cabins, and had questioned our options six weeks ago, as we could have booked something else. We were given no other option then to wait. Well today we were scrambling to secure a vacation. We had a very limited time frame, as my dd is a teacher. We now have to drive to NY and have booked the Summit. We also have to put funds out for our vacation and wait on refunds.

So, for those of you who think it is no big deal, we are no better off, and in some ways worse off than the original cancelled passengers. All we got for this last minute mess, full refund and 25% fc voucher.

I see from your posting history that you were to be on the July 12th sailing. When did they notify you and what reason did they give you?

For us it would definitely not be a "big deal" as we have flexibility. I fully understand that for you it is. I hope you enjoy the Summit.

CNN gave details on the damage back in May

Well that settles it then:) CNN is always the place I go when I want a complete, unbiased, and totally factual discussion of anything significant:eek:

Very sorry to hear this, hopefully your cruise on the summit will be good and that your refunds come through in a timely fashion.

Archived