Grandeur of the Seas returns July 12 WITHOUT BEING fully repaired!!

We are 4067 and located in the middle of the ship.

I am curious which areas were affected by the fire too (I didn't keep up too much on the exact are) We are on the July 19 sailing and have cabin 4032. Not quite center, more aft.

Woooo back way up. WHO TOLD YOU ITS NOT FULLY REPAIRED? If its not repaired, then why is it heading back for more cruises? eh um, what I saw today.

Grandeur expected back on July 14

Simon Jones

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 9:50 AM

rss.jpg

Comments (0)

155210.jpg

In repair: The Grandeur of the Seas has been undergoing work on her stern the Bahamas. *AFP photo

Repair work on the Grandeur of the Seas seems to be going according to plan.

Had it not been for a major fire breaking out on board the ship in May she would have been making her fifth trip of the year into Dockyard at the weekend.

But it now looks like the ship will only miss the predicted three trips to Bermuda and should be back on the island again on July 14.

The Royal Caribbean International liner has been undergoing major repair work to her stern in the Bahamas for the last few weeks.

She still has another 10 voyages from Baltimore to Bermuda planned for the 2013 cruise season.

Elsewhere this week it’s the return of the usual cruise liners.

The Norwegian Breakaway and the Summit get into the West End today for a two-night stop, while this Sunday the Norwegian Dawn arrives at King’s Wharf in Dockyard.

The Bermuda Islander comes into Hamilton tomorrow, while the Oleander is back on her Sunday afternoon arrival slot after a slight delay last week after troubles at the Maher terminals in the US.

Finally the car carrier Aphrodite Leader is scheduled to sail into the capital on Sunday to bring in 72 new vehicles.

You quoted the OP, did you not read the entire post? A different cruiser had stated on a different thread that they were called and told they had their cruise cancelled as not all rooms passed an inspection and could not be occupied therefore causing an overbook situation for the July 12th sailing.

I think some peopel didnt drink enough coffee today LOL. I agree, that is why they are doing the July 11th cruise for a few people to show, hey its safe and ready, and probably to run safety drills as well. Im booked for the July 26, and I dont really give a rats hoo hoo if some public rooms arent ready . I didnt book this ship for the ship, I booked it cause its going to Bermuda, thats all.

The problem is not due to public areas not being ready, it is the fact that some passenger cabins are not ready to be occupied. Public areas on the ship do not have much impact on having to cancel people's bookings but not having enough cabins does.

I just got off the phone with an executive in Adam Goldstein's office, CEO of Royal Caribbean.

All public rooms have been repaired and will be open during the July 12 sailing.

There are approximately 70+ cabins that repairs are not completed. My cabin 3608 is far from any of the cabins affected. All of the damaged cabins were on decks 2, 3, and 4.

Now, looking forward to three beautiful days in Bermuda.

Terri - Worked with you at the Dr's office Lin Catonsville

OMG, I remember exactly who you are! How amazing you found me here! How are you, and how is your family? You can email me privately at khenelde at comcast dot net. Thanks for the shout out:)

There were some pictures of an aft balcony cabin posted on CC after the fire. The balcony had some soot but the interior looked untouched.

There was also a review posted on CC by some woman moaning and groaning that she (in her aft balcony cabin) was extremely inconvenienced because it took her 6 hours to get her TV signal back.:eek::eek: She was also complaining that she was inconvenienced by having to evacuate her room in the early morning hours.:eek::eek:

Because the aft angles forward as it goes up, it appeared that the aft cabins on decks 7 and 8 made out a whole lot better than the lounge on deck 6.

My (totally uneducated) guess is that the 73 cabins that are not ready are only those toward the aft on decks 2 and 3.

While there were major problems with that cruiser's report on the fire, you are misrepresenting the complaints.

First of all, "she" is a "he." :rolleyes:

And his complaints were wide-ranging, and certainly open to discussion about priorities, but not QUITE as petty as you are describing.

I just got off the phone with an executive in Adam Goldstein's office, CEO of Royal Caribbean.

All public rooms have been repaired and will be open during the July 12 sailing.

There are approximately 70+ cabins that repairs are not completed. My cabin 3608 is far from any of the cabins affected. All of the damaged cabins were on decks 2, 3, and 4.

Now, looking forward to three beautiful days in Bermuda.

Enjoy, and please tell us about the ship - am looking forward to going on her in the fall. Would love to hear how she looks after the repairs.

While there were major problems with that cruiser's report on the fire, you are misrepresenting the complaints.

First of all, "she" is a "he." :rolleyes:

And his complaints were wide-ranging, and certainly open to discussion about priorities, but not QUITE as petty as you are describing.

There was actually another poster that was on the cruise that posted pictures to that thread. They were also in an aft cabin and had a blog with pictures. The screenname is tiger something.

Edit: Ok, not tiger, chiefs lol I was close. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1853748

This is not the bible... anything in red is speculation, not official word.

I thought the 50% FC was for people on the Grandeur when the fire happened and the 25% was for people who had their cruises cancelled the next few weeks....

100% refund and 100% towards another if you were on THE sailing. 50% future on the week after and I believe the rest got 25% future on the other sailings.

Edit: Ok, not tiger, chiefs lol I was close. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1853748

I'm just touched that you remembered my post :) Tigers are cool too. I can't imagine the aft suites would still have any residual smoke smell. You can OPEN the doors, which isn't as viable of an option on the lower decks w/o balconies. Before we had left I was not noticing odor in our room anymore (we did prop both doors for a while the first day).

As others have said, I'd rather hear about it now than show up and sleep in a strong smoke smell (if that is what is still going on). I fear saying it and adding speculation, but maybe they are still doing extra work and needed those rooms for repair crew.

Either way, that is very disappointing to get a call so close to your sailing. I'm sorry. For those still going, please give my girl a hug. I can't wait to see her again in October - even if they don't tell me what caused it. I have enough faith to say it was an accident not an on purpose.

Direct link to aft room photos (it's a little down in the thread previously posted):

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=7c9ddcb7ccb5431c&sid=8CaNmzFqxaM2I

Judy

Direct link to aft room photos (it's a little down in the thread previously posted):

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=7c9ddcb7ccb5431c&sid=8CaNmzFqxaM2I

Judy

Looks like your cabin steward wasn't on his game... kidding. :D That's the first time I've seen those photos. Nice camera work. What was the cabin number?

There was actually another poster that was on the cruise that posted pictures to that thread. They were also in an aft cabin and had a blog with pictures. The screenname is tiger something.

Thank you for the input.

MarionMom.... The person of whom I wrote also mentioned HER husband going out and playing golf while SHE remained on the ship. And, HER complaints were indeed laced with a healthy dose of pettiness.

Looks like your cabin steward wasn't on his game... kidding. :D That's the first time I've seen those photos. Nice camera work. What was the cabin number?

Au contraire. Our steward came that afternoon and made our balcony quite usable again. :)

This was 7156. To be clear, the first 2-3 photos were when we first arrived. You can tell how white everything was before.

Judy

Oh, we'll hear about it, even if one toaster is not working!

yes the CG will inspect. do you HONESTLY think, in the wake of Costa and Carnival's recent issues, that Royal will even THINK about cutting corners or fail to complete the important repairs before releasing the ship to resume work?!

I think you are LOOKING for an excuse to cancel without penalty or to find fault once on board afterward

Au contraire. Our steward came that afternoon and made our balcony quite usable again. :)

This was 7156. To be clear, the first 2-3 photos were when we first arrived. You can tell how white everything was before.

Judy

I'm sure the steward stepped up. Thanks for the cabin number.

Thank you for the input.

MarionMom.... The person of whom I wrote also mentioned HER husband going out and playing golf while SHE remained on the ship. And, HER complaints were indeed laced with a healthy dose of pettiness.

No, HE mentioned that HIS husband went out and played golf while HE remained on the ship.

Does anyone know how one could go about booking the one night cruise on the July 11? Just happens to be my anniversary, and I'd love to check it out before our cruise on the 26th!

As I understand it--there is a special one night cruise on July 11, 2013. We should hear some buzz from that about the condition of the GOTS.

Royal would not want to bring the travel agents and high C and A onto a ship that is still in poor shape. That would be counterproductive.

Does anyone know how one could go about booking the one night cruise on the July 11? Just happens to be my anniversary, and I'd love to check it out before our cruise on the 26th!

I believe that cruise is by invitation only.

Whew, I go to camp for a couple of days of sun, water, and beer, and come back to 6 pages!

1. Will the USCG inspect the ship before sailing on July 12th? MAYBE. While they probably will, it is NOT REQUIRED. The ship and crew will have passed an inspection and drill by the Bahamas Maritime Authority, and the insurance underwriter (classification society) prior to being given a clean certificate of class (permission to sail, with insurance).

2. Very possibly, some of these cabins were expected to be completed in time, but due to materials shortages (carpet is a classic), they fell behind. The contractors will be onboard for the trip from Freeport to Baltimore, and working to complete cabins. Some of the 70 may be completed. It's a business decision that at some finite point, you have to remove cabins from inventory, even if you believe they might be ready on time.

3. It may be that the cabins are completed, but that when the corporate refurbishment supervisors inspected them, there was a noticeable smell in them from the carpet adhesive, and if it was at the decision making time I mentioned above, then they could be ready to go, but will actually sail empty.

4. Is all the "safety" equipment repaired? Of course it is. Again, the BMA and the class society have to ensure that all SOLAS equipment is onboard prior to sailing from Freeport. If there was not enough SOLAS equipment, the class society would not give the ship a class certificate to carry passengers. The only exception would be if no replacement equipment was available (for instance if a lifeboat was damaged), RCI would be allowed to sail, but would have to reduce the number of passengers onboard to match the remaining lifeboat capacity.

5. Does RCI owe people an explanation of the cause of the fire? Not really. They have made one statement that the cause was electrical in nature. Unless they found that in fact the magic cigarette was the real cause, why do they need to comment further. Would it make any difference to whether you feel safe on the ship if they explained that "the crew galley exhaust fan #2 had a bearing failure which caused the motor to overheat" or that "the full wave bridge rectifier on the port aft mooring winch brake shorted out and overheated"? How many marine engineers are out there who would understand a specific cause of the fire anyway? Either you believe that RCI's Safety Management System is of sufficient quality, throughout the fleet, to entrust your safety to, or it's not. Most likely, nothing could have prevented this fire, it was likely and equipment failure, which happen all the time to anything from your cruise ship to your Mr. Coffee.

it is by invitation only.. mostly TAs, media and local D+ and higher.

I've since heard that too, I found a board devoted to it, actually. I'm hoping my TA may be able to help me out, she has a fair amount of connections. We're not D+ members, but we are Diamond. Wonder how much it'll cost?

I believe that cruise is by invitation only.

I've since heard that too, I found a board devoted to it, actually. I'm hoping my TA may be able to help me out, she has a fair amount of connections. We're not D+ members, but we are Diamond. Wonder how much it'll cost?

Sometimes the one and two days cruises are free, including alcohol.

Your TA will not be able to get you on. This is mostly for TA's and it's not something an agent can request for their clients regardless of how many connections they have.

Archived