Captain's Greeting

If anyone had anything witty and different to say, and posted it here, it wouldn't be 'different' very long! Just say "I'm happy to meet you, Captain...Thank you for a lovely voyage." and move along.

We did once have something to talk about when we met the same Captain who had been on one of our earlier cruises. On the earlier cruise, his wife and 3 year old daughter were onboard and we had met and talked to them several times. The captain was very pleased that we remembered and asked about his daughter. The conversation took place when we saw him in the Windjammer, however, not when standing in line with other people waiting to greet him.

We don't say anything because we don't attend them.:)

LOL! I guess we went to a few when we started cruising (about 35 years ago). But now, the idea of standing in those lines, crowding into a public room...and listening to same ole speeches....all for a lousy drink....is not the way we want to spend the day. The one exception would be Captain Demitrius (Celebrity) who is a man most do not want to miss. If he were the host of the Tonight Show the ratings would go up. He is one of the funniest men we have met.

Hank

On most cruises, we haven't met the captain. Sometimes we may see him at the past passenger party, but if there's a receiving line, you just smile and shake his hand. There's a long line of passengers ahead and behind you.

On my first cruise, we were in some lounge where a reception was happening (haven't seen this since), and a man in an uniform stood by us and put a few celery sticks on his plate, nodded to us, and then left the room. Bf told me that was the captain.

Normally, the Captains are all the same. Their duties are many and varied. In my experience, when you met the Captain, there is not really much to say. They all seem to have cold, damp hands and a plastic smile. (it's a photo op for the cruise line to make more money). Looks like they would like to be anyplace else. A short story about my best experience. Our cabin was one deck below the bridge, and, as we were on a new ship and among the Captains dutys involved walking around the public areas and chat with cruisers about their experience. Several times, I found my self walking to the elevator at the same time as the Captain. We exchanged pleasantries and went on our way. Our last night at sea, the wife and I were walking to the elevator. Looking back, the Captain was about 10 feet behind us. I remarked to the wife that I hope that I was dressed ok or, the Captain would put us off at the next port. I gave her a head nod to look back. The Captain was smiling and shaking his head yes. Thought that she was going to freak out. On the way down on the elevator, I shook the Captains hand and, gave him a small gift in appreciation of a great cruise. A small key chain with small compass attached. By his reaction, that was the best thing that a cruiser could have done. Thought he was going to pass out from laughter. :D

As others have said in that huge group context, simply say hello or good evening & move on.

If you are fortunate to meet the captain at another time, you can be more personalized. Last cruise the Hotel Director introduced me to tha captain when I ran into her on deck. I had a lovely chat with him about his favorite restuarnant on board because I wasn't convinced that NCL could make rodizio without an open flame. He explained some new technology to me that made it possible.

But when he's got a line of people waiting, don't be clever. It's worse than the receiving lines at weddings.

Our favorite captain is Francesco LaFarina on Carnival ships. We had met him on night when captain, cruise director and officers stood outside a lounge to meet passengers. On a later cruise the cruise director, whom we got to know well, gave me quite a Halloween hat. It was tall with purple & green feathers on top with black and yellow ribbons, a head band with gold pumpkins and two fist size orange pumpkins as earings. I wore it to the captains night and all he could do was laugh. He pulled me over and a ship's photographer took our picture which I got as a gift. Then in November I saw him in the buffet and said hello. He then introduced me to his girl friend, a bartender, with a big smile. Saw him again in February and asked him how she was. (Never know, ship board romances!). He said fine and with a big smile said she wasn't on board, she was 4 months pregnant!. In April I found out it was a boy. In May he told me the name he liked but the mom is Russian and he didn't know if she'd like it. (She did.) The baby was born July 23rd, when he was on vacation.

We saw him again on last Halloween and I had my Halloween hat with me. I have great pictures of him wearing it! We are Diamond so are called on stage on a party night. Two pictures are taken with him and all the officers. The 1st one is serious the 2nd fun. He had the assistant CD run down the hall after the 1st picture with my hat. Then HE put it on for the 2nd photo! Most of the passengers laughed as the CD explained the hat.

We saw him AGAIN at the end of February. His girl (they're not married) and the baby were on board with him. He looked for us with the baby but didn't see us. At the party he told us to be at a lounge at 7pm. He repeated this and I said OK. Well, we went and there was a 'private party' sign in the hall but we'd been invited so went in. He was there holding the baby so I have a few great pictures with the baby. Turns out this was a party for the employees of the month- many of whom we knew. Then we saw him in April and learned he'd been transferred to another ship, May 5th. But we had all ready booked on this same ship for

May 26th.

On the captain's night we said hello and sat down a bit later it was slow so he came over to talk with us. We all got up and I asked the captain if he wanted to dance! He said 'sure'. and we danced. I asked him when was the last time he danced and he said he couldn't remember but we didn't step on each other's toes! The next night we had dinner together in the steak house. The last day we had tea with him and three others on the bridge!

We have exchanged our email addresses and he emails me pictures of the baby and we can keep track of what ship he is on. He is a delightful person and I could write more about him and us but won't. We have bumped into him three times when he was dressed in street clothes not the captain's uniform. People don't recognize him then!

If you ever have him as your captain, tell him Bonnie & Lee say hello!

Don't cruise on HAL.

HAL gave up the "Greeting the Captain" quite a few years ago.

Captain and Hotel Director have a receiving line on every cruise outside MDR for Mariners Brunch.

Some of the Captains also arrive early to Captain's Welcome Aboard Toast and stand around the lower level of the show lounge giving guests a chance to greet them if they wish.

Captain and Hotel Director have a receiving line on every cruise outside MDR for Mariners Brunch.

Some of the Captains also arrive early to Captain's Welcome Aboard Toast and stand around the lower level of the show lounge giving guests a chance to greet them if they wish.

Not on our cruises.

Dining room - Mariner's Brunch. They come in - say Welcome - glad to have you aboard -- something like that - and run out. CD is also with them.

Welcome Aboard toast -- the CD arrives on stage first -- introduces the captain who comes down the steps from the balcony. Then the captain introduces the hotel director and etc.

No captain has arrived early to stand around the lower level or any level to talk to guests.

Not on our cruises.

Dining room - Mariner's Brunch. They come in - say Welcome - glad to have you aboard -- something like that - and run out. CD is also with them.

Welcome Aboard toast -- the CD arrives on stage first -- introduces the captain who comes down the steps from the balcony. Then the captain introduces the hotel director and etc.

No captain has arrived early to stand around the lower level or any level to talk to guests.

Don't you attend the pre-brunch reception for High Mariners? Surely you see the Captain there and have your photo taken. When he and Hotel Director leave that reception, they go to the entry of the MDR and welcome the Mariners who were not at the small reception. Barring being needed for a situation on the ship, the Captain never fails to be there to greet the guests.

As to the Captain's Welcome Aboard...... you are right they come down the stairs onto the stage. BEFORE that, we have seen and chatted with Captains who arrive early specifically to make themselves available to guests. They enter the lower level of the show lounge and after coming through the doorway, they stand around near the back of the rows of seats where there is space for people to approach them. When the CD is ready to start the event, the Captain excuses himself and proceeds up to the area from where he goes to the stage. You may not have seen them but we have. :) If you want a specific name....... Captain Draper on Maasdam. He has now moved from Maasdam to a Vista ship.

Watch next time....... ;)

I would repeat what others have said about "Pleasure to meet you" or "wonderful ship", and move on.

While not the smartest thing to say, the most memorable was when I was standing on the Captain's receiving line for NCL Lattitudes members (Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer and Hotel Director). This guy comes up to the Staff Captain, and says "so you're a Captain-wanna-be?" For those who don't know, the Staff Captain is second in command, a fully licensed master mariner, and the one who actually does the day-to-day ship operation for the Captain. I thought Staff's ginger ale (zero alcohol for us senior officers and staff) was going to be all over this guy! Staff got really red, and the HD hustled this guy on to the Captain. Just another day!

I would repeat what others have said about "Pleasure to meet you" or "wonderful ship", and move on.

While not the smartest thing to say, the most memorable was when I was standing on the Captain's receiving line for NCL Lattitudes members (Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer and Hotel Director). This guy comes up to the Staff Captain, and says "so you're a Captain-wanna-be?" For those who don't know, the Staff Captain is second in command, a fully licensed master mariner, and the one who actually does the day-to-day ship operation for the Captain. I thought Staff's ginger ale (zero alcohol for us senior officers and staff) was going to be all over this guy! Staff got really red, and the HD hustled this guy on to the Captain. Just another day!

What an idiot!

Who says such a thing?!

No wonder it 'stuck in your memory'. :eek:

Don't you attend the pre-brunch reception for High Mariners? Surely you see the Captain there and have your photo taken. When he and Hotel Director leave that reception, they go to the entry of the MDR and welcome the Mariners who were not at the small reception. Barring being needed for a situation on the ship, the Captain never fails to be there to greet the guests.

As to the Captain's Welcome Aboard...... you are right they come down the stairs onto the stage. BEFORE that, we have seen and chatted with Captains who arrive early specifically to make themselves available to guests. They enter the lower level of the show lounge and after coming through the doorway, they stand around near the back of the rows of seats where there is space for people to approach them. When the CD is ready to start the event, the Captain excuses himself and proceeds up to the area from where he goes to the stage. You may not have seen them but we have. :) If you want a specific name....... Captain Draper on Maasdam. He has now moved from Maasdam to a Vista ship.

Watch next time....... ;)

Yes -- we go to the AWARDS ceremony.

Very rarely are there any pictures taken of those of us with high number days. They just ask those with over 700 days -- raise your hands REALLY?? We are not in Grade School!!-- never call out our names!!

We go to the "Welcome Aboard" before the start of the show -- not one captain on any of our cruises has arrived early.

Archived