Tux out of place?

signora

We're sailing on the Maasdam to Canada in August and are wondering if a tux for my DH would be out of place. If he's only one of few it might not be worth it. Any ideas? Also a gown for me: would that be the same deal, so might a dressy cocktail dress be safer? All in all, it may depend on what we feel like last minute and also how much luggage we want to carry.

If it's formal night, a tux and long gown can't possibly be out of place. If that's what you want to wear, enjoy them to the hilt!

But do know that most men will probably not be in a tux; a suit, and even a sport coat w/tie meets the code. Many, if not most, women will be in cocktail wear, but that varies more.

You'll have a lovely time on this cruise. I just did the same cruise from Montreal to Boston. Maybe you can have some nice pictures done to remember the good time.

We have done that cruise for years and we always wore gown and tux but we no longer do. It is absolutely not out of place and you will see some but each year, each cruise we see fewer gents looking handsome in their tuxes. DH now wears a dark suit but that is his choice. Your DH should wear his tux if he wishes.

I hope you love that ship, her crew and that cruise as much as we do. :)

I just did this cruise and saw only one or two tuxedos. I would skip it if you are concerned about too much luggage.

On the other hand, I did see one gentlemen not be allowed to sit in the main dining room for dinner on a formal night for not wearing a jacket.

The idea of "Out of Place" is at best subjective. Men dress very differently from women. Where most men prefer to be dressed in the same manner as other men, women abhor the idea. Each woman seems to prefer to appear in an outfit that differs from other women.

Some of the men I have cruised with wear the Tuxedo on formal night mainly to please their wives.

a TUX and a Suit will take up about the same room in the luggage. I personally plan to pack the TUX on our Alaska trip next month. Maybe in an effort to raise the bar. . . those that are in sport coats should be the ones that feel out of place ? After all the captain and his staff will be in their dress uniforms.

You're more likely to see tuxes if you eat later.

We always have Traditional 8 P.M. dinner and see so few tuxes these days. DH was one of the last 'hold outs' but stopped bring his around a year and a half or so ago.

suit takes the same space but he doesn't need to bring the black tuxedo shoes he cannot wear with anything else he wears. The shoes he wears with his dress trousers he can wear with his suit.

We're sailing on the Maasdam to Canada in August and are wondering if a tux for my DH would be out of place. If he's only one of few it might not be worth it. Any ideas? Also a gown for me: would that be the same deal, so might a dressy cocktail dress be safer? All in all, it may depend on what we feel like last minute and also how much luggage we want to carry.

We have tuxes x3 for our cruise today. ~5 more hours!

Not out of place at all - the smaller the ships the more men you see wearing them. Easily well over 50-75% on our last smaller ship cruises. They look wonderful and make formal night all that more special - a lost art form. Enjoy. Or you can rent it from HAL if you don't want to pack it.

IMO it depends on the guests on each individual cruise. Example: In March we did a Collector's Cruise on the Westerdam. Week #1 there were lots of younger adult couples, along with a regular HAL cruising population. Each formal evening they were dressed to the nines. Tuxes, very fancy cocktail dresses, etc. The whole cruise was a very well dressed crowd. Week #2 I think DH and only a few other men were in tuxes. Lots more Sport Coats and Sunday go to church dresses. I can only conclude that formal attire will and can differ with each cruise experience.

Not out of place at all - the smaller the ships the more men you see wearing them.
That's not always true either. On our Prinsendam T-A in May there were only around 20% wearing them. We were on just the last 1/4 of the Grand Med cruise, and maybe many were tired of wearing them by then ... or maybe they didn't for the entire cruise. We saw about 30% on our 12-day Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.

OP - don't worry about it - I have worn long gowns, long skirts and sometimes really dressy pants. DH has worn tuxes, suits and even a sports jacket. It just depends upon where we are going and sometimes, the mood:D

Wear what you two are comfortable in. Dress for yourselves in the formal attire you like and have a good time:D

OP - don't worry about it - I have worn long gowns, long skirts and sometimes really dressy pants. DH has worn tuxes, suits and even a sports jacket. It just depends upon where we are going and sometimes, the mood:D

Wear what you two are comfortable in. Dress for yourselves in the formal attire you like and have a good time:D

DITTO. Agree completely.

Dressing up for formal night has really gotten a lot more casual over the last few years, you will see everything from tuxedos to guys wearing jeans with a sports jacket and a dress shirt.

Thanks for all the opinions--I think DH is leaning towards not bringing his but he's not getting rid of it yet! As for myself, I have things to wear but isn't a cruise a great excuse to go out and buy something new? That's what I'll be doing! And if a long gown appeals, so be it!

I do believe that one must satisfy oneself! DH and DBIL will always wear their tux (or kilt with all of the necessary accoutrements ), regardless of the itinerary. We enjoy the opportunity to "dress up", since we do live a fairly casual lifestyle, otherwise, and this does bring a special feel to the evening. We really do not pay attention to the other guests, since their choice does not impact upon ours. enjoy your cruise holiday, whatever option you might choose.

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived