Waiting for Grandeur passengers today .....

We just returned from the Grandeur's July 12 7-day voyage.

The ship is just as beautiful as she was when we sailed on her May 3rd voyage.

The South Pacific Lounge was still under reconstruction: carpet being installed, furniture returned, bars stocked, and the updated lighting and sound system being put in place. The South Pacific Lounge is scheduled to reopen today.

Because the Diamond Lounge is located in the South Pacific lounge the nightly Diamond drinks and apps were served in the Viking Crown. The Concierge Lounge was open.

The Quest which is usually held in the South Pacific Lounge was not held during this sailing.

Other than that, the ship was the same.

She is a beautiful ship with a fantastic crew. Capt. Trond Holm began his 10-week rotation on this cruise. We had dinner with him on the first formal night and found him to be an excellent host.

John Perry was the CD and he did a great job. Darryl Dyball was a Activity Director and is unbeatable when it comes to energy and generating excitement.

Add me to the waiting list!

We know a couple on the cruise that gets in today. But, they work at the cruise terminal. So, they will not be doing any posting this afternoon.

Hey Blondie--great to run into you again on the CC message boards. Thanks for the pictures. Yours were so good. :D

The South Pacific Lounge was still under reconstruction: carpet being installed, furniture returned, bars stocked, and the updated lighting and sound system being put in place. The South Pacific Lounge is scheduled to reopen today.

Because the Diamond Lounge is located in the South Pacific lounge the nightly Diamond drinks and apps were served in the Viking Crown. The Concierge Lounge was open.

The Quest which is usually held in the South Pacific Lounge was not held during this sailing.

She is a beautiful ship with a fantastic crew. Capt. Trond Holm began his 10-week rotation on this cruise. We had dinner with him on the first formal night and found him to be an excellent host.

John Perry was the CD and he did a great job. Darryl Dyball was a Activity Director and is unbeatable when it comes to energy and generating excitement.

Thanks for the udpdate!

Any explanation of why Lifeboat/Tender 3 was moved into Lifeboat/Tender's 2 spot and Lifeboat/Tender 2 was put into Lifeboat/Tender 3's place after the ship had moved away from the Pier in Bermuda, but before you sailed?

Any explanation of why Lifeboat/Tender 3 was moved into Lifeboat/Tender's 2 spot and Lifeboat/Tender 2 was put into Lifeboat/Tender 3's place after the ship had moved away from the Pier in Bermuda, but before you sailed?

Just guessing, but since odd and even numbered life boats/tenders are on opposite sides of the ship, it would be very difficult to switch them whilst docked. :)

Now, why they were on te "wrong" sde to begin with, I have no idea. Perhaps switched during the repairs, for some reason?

Ray in NH

Just guessing, but since odd and even numbered life boats/tenders are on opposite sides of the ship, it would be very difficult to switch them whilst docked. :)

Now, why they were on te "wrong" sde to begin with, I have no idea. Perhaps switched during the repairs, for some reason?

Ray in NH

They were not on the wrong side to begin with. After Grandeur moved away from the pier, #2 was lowered. #3 then came around the bow and was raised into #2's position. It appeared to me that there was something wrong with #3's propulsion system. (To me, it looked like she could not go into reverse.) It took several attempts to get the tender into position to attach the cables and #2 was used to help try to nudge tender #3 into position.

I am thinking that the tender was moved to the Port side in order to lower her into the harbor once the Grandeur docks in Baltimore, maybe to be taken to a shipyard for some repair. (Grandeur docks with the Starboard side next to the pier.)

Hey Blondie--great to run into you again on the CC message boards. Thanks for the pictures. Yours were so good. :D

Thanks, Dragon! It was a pleasure to finally catch up and share them with you. I felt so badly about not being able to find you and give them to you sooner. I've had a busy upside down year since that voyage, lots of changes. Doing good now and looking forward to Bermuda on the Grandeur. I look forward to continuing to "chat" with you on these boards!!

We just got back from then Grandeur as well and what a great vacation! The crew was amazing and very friendly. We have never sailed Royal Carib before and we could see the difference right away with the staff compared to our past two cruises on Carnival.

The kids had a great time as well. ( 2 girls, 7 and 8) They used the Adventure Ocean a few times in the afternoon when we used the gym and they had so much fun. The gym was small but had everything we needed after a run on the jogging track.

We had great food on the ship, my favorite was the Italian themed night! We also ate at Chops one night and it was excellent.....as well as the four huge desserts we shared! We used My Time Dining and had the same staff every night. Sad to leave them behind!

We had a balcony on 7 Forward and it was a smooth ride. The first day at sea was a little rough for me but the rest was perfect! Out stateroom attendant Jose was amazing...the room was always clean and neat!

Can't wait til our next cruise!

We just got back from then Grandeur as well and what a great vacation! The crew was amazing and very friendly. We have never sailed Royal Carib before and we could see the difference right away with the staff compared to our past two cruises on Carnival.

The kids had a great time as well. ( 2 girls, 7 and 8) They used the Adventure Ocean a few times in the afternoon when we used the gym and they had so much fun. The gym was small but had everything we needed after a run on the jogging track.

We had great food on the ship, my favorite was the Italian themed night! We also ate at Chops one night and it was excellent.....as well as the four huge desserts we shared! We used My Time Dining and had the same staff every night. Sad to leave them behind!

We had a balcony on 7 Forward and it was a smooth ride. The first day at sea was a little rough for me but the rest was perfect! Out stateroom attendant Jose was amazing...the room was always clean and neat!

Can't wait til our next cruise!

So glad you had a good cruise. I have sailed Carnival a feww times, too. There are some things I like about Carnival. But, I feel Royal Caribbean is an overall better product.

Won't be sailing her until march18th next year but looking forward to sailing on her for the first time. I'm looking at your photo and actually have sailed with you on Enchantment in 2012! I'm almost sure I remember seeing both of you in the concierge lounge before dinner????? Hopefully I'll bump into both of you somewhere in our travels and will be sure to formally introduce myself. Happy sailing!:)....K.O.

The tender issue seems to be ongoing from before the fire. On the May 17th sailing (last time she was in Bermuda) she did the same thing. The captain announced that after we left the dock we would pause for 10 minutes so that they could swap 2 of the tender boats. When we left that is exactly what happened. I was on the top deck looking forward so I unfortunately couldn't see the swap happen but we did pause for it to occur. Once we arrived back in Baltimore the one tender was lowered onto the dock. Looking at the pictures it was tender 3 that was lowered and tender 1 is in her place. They didn't swap sides but merely first and second locations.

DSC06655.JPG

Won't be sailing her until march18th next year but looking forward to sailing on her for the first time. I'm looking at your photo and actually have sailed with you on Enchantment in 2012! I'm almost sure I remember seeing both of you in the concierge lounge before dinner????? Hopefully I'll bump into both of you somewhere in our travels and will be sure to formally introduce myself. Happy sailing!:)....K.O.

If we don't see you sooner, we'll be with you on the Grandeur's March 18th sailing. Looking forward to it.:)

Here is a posted explanation from another thread regarding the tender question (re: webteach - "Bermuda webam..") :

"I was on the sailing. We were not informed while the event was going on. The next day at the captain's forum, someone asked what was going on. My understanding from what I heard was they switched out a motor on one of the lifeboats while we were in Bermuda and had to test it while the ship was in motion because it was to be inspected once it arrived in Baltimore. I believe they had to "switch" sides to make sure that lifeboat that had been "fixed" was not facing the dock when we arrived in Baltimore".

Here is a posted explanation from another thread regarding the tender question (re: webteach - "Bermuda webam..") :

"I was on the sailing. We were not informed while the event was going on. The next day at the captain's forum, someone asked what was going on. My understanding from what I heard was they switched out a motor on one of the lifeboats while we were in Bermuda and had to test it while the ship was in motion because it was to be inspected once it arrived in Baltimore. I believe they had to "switch" sides to make sure that lifeboat that had been "fixed" was not facing the dock when we arrived in Baltimore".

Makes sense! Thank you!

From what I saw, Tender 3 still was not properly operating in reverse in Bermuda.

If we don't see you sooner, we'll be with you on the Grandeur's March 18th sailing. Looking forward to it.:)
One of my favorite aspects of sailing strictly with RCL is seeing so many friends we have met on previous cruises, whether by chance or not it's always nice. Again will make sure to say hi!.....K.O.:)

Archived