A Plea To Celebrity: Don't Dump Century

curtdesilets

As many of you have been following, the fate of the Century in the Celebrity fleet is quite "up in the air". Two major renovations in the past 2 years have been scrapped. Most recently, an extensive dry dock scheduled for early 2014 was replaced with a much shorter one, basically a touch up. There is speculation that she might be sold or transferred to another Royal Caribbean owned line.

There are several of us "Century Lovers" on the Cruise Critic forum that do not want Century to leave the fleet. She holds a special place in our hearts, and Celebrity would be wise to retain her, as a relic of the past glory of Celebrity cruises.

I would draw a comparison to the Prisendam on Holland America. Apparently she is the oldest and smallest ship in HA's fleet. They could have dumped her years ago, but instead they spruced her up and retain her for the most interesting and exotic itineraries as well as bumped up the service and elegance a few notches. HA is also able to charge a premium for such unique itineraries and upgraded service. IMO, that would be a good place for Century in the Celebrity fleet. Keep Century as the boutique ship with unique itineraries, perhaps an annual world cruise. It almost appears like Celebrity is attempting to do this. I noticed that in May of 2015 (if Century is around that long), there is a scheduled circumnavigation of Japan. Now that is unique!

We sailed Century out of Vancouver early in the Alaska season last year. It was one of our best cruises ever, having now sailed a variety of ships (20 cruises so far). She reminded us of what Celebrity was all about, when we took our first cruise back in 2001 on the brand spanking new Infinity.

Here is my review of the Century cruise last year, in case you are interested:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103862

I know that I am not alone in my assessment of this very special ship. Recent reviews of her 2013 Alaska voyages concur with mine. She is an excellent ship with a superb staff, and she has developed a loyal following amongst many of us Celebrity enthusiasts.

So what do you say Celebrity. Does she stay or does she go? :confused:

We agree - Keep the Century !!

We have sailed on both classes of Celebrity's newer ships, including the brand new Reflection and have noticed the trend toward making cruises into Las Vegas type vacations with more and more glitz and glamor but less style. It seems like the newer ships are catering to the masses, particularly the Type "A" personality types who have to be constantly engaged and entertained, 24-7.

We were looking forward to Century's 2014 San Francisco to Sydney cruise as an opportunity to experience the charms of an earlier era of sailing, much like we experienced on the QE2 in the 1990s. Hopefully, Century will remain a part of the Celebrity fleet.

Add me to the list of Century Lover. The Century is my favorite ship. Two of my future cruises are on Century. I would love Celebrity to keep sailing the Century. Although it seems that Celebrity could be planning a sale or transfer of Century I am in a way glad the long refurb is canceled. I was not particularly liking the thought of adding more cabin capacity. I would like Celebrity to retain Century at its current cabin capacity.

I just found this thread and am concerned. We just booked a cruise on this ship round Japan for 2015. What are your thoughts about what happens if they get rid of the Century? Do they use another ship or scrap the itinerary? No one else does this one and this is the only time Celebrity does it.

My first cruise was on the Century in 2008 out of Bacelona.

My last cruise was on the Century, Panama Canal.

I love the size of this ship and everthing about it.

Edited by Azulann

I also love Century, but enought of a realist to know that Celebity will base a decision on their analysis of costs vs benefits.

Have not been on the Century, nor those any of those earlier, smaller, older Celebrity. Love the Solstice from our June 2011 cruise in the Med (as detailed below) and looking forward to doing her for Australia and NZ in early 2014. BUT, however, Orator makes the solid point about how it's all about Economics 101. Celebrity has built lots of nice, new ships. BUT, the world economy is still challenged and the cruise business is somewhat over-built for the current demand levels. All of these ships are expensive to own, operate, staff, fuel, etc. Demand and capacity must be matched or you won't stay in business or maintain expected quality. That's realism in business!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 9,095 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

I also love Century, but enought of a realist to know that Celebity will base a decision on their analysis of costs vs benefits.

It is very simple.

If another company can make a profit using Century, why can't Celebrity.

If enough people will sail on Celebrity at prices that will cover the additional costs over and above other ships in the fleet, then Century will stay.....

unless head office decides that Century cannot meet the "modern luxury" image of other Celebrity ships since she is nearly 20 years old...

We also love Century and hopes she stays... now where is the round the world cruise?

It is very simple.

If enough people will sail on Celebrity at prices that will cover the additional costs over and above other ships in the fleet, then Century will stay.....

unless head office decides that Century cannot meet the "modern luxury" image of other Celebrity ships since she is nearly 20 years old...

We also love Century and hopes she stays... now where is the round the world cruise?

Hi Arno:

As you know I have been advocating a major overhaul in the 100 million range for Century to allow it to compete with Oceania. I've posted this on this forum and have written to Celebrity.The rapid filling of the February 15th Century cruise might serve to demonstrate that a smaller ship that can do smaller, more desirable ports might be profitable. Oceania is going after the Celebrity passenger base, Celebrity should take proactive steps to protect their base.

Look forward to seeing you in February on Century.

Edited by Orator

It is very simple.

Hi Arno:

As you know I have been advocating a major overhaul in the 100 million range for Century to allow it to compete with Oceania. I've posted this on this forum and have written to Celebrity.The rapid filling of the February 15th Century cruise might serve to demonstrate that a smaller ship that can to smaller, more desirable ports might be profitable. Oceania is going after the Celebrity passenger base, Celebrity should take proactive steps to protect their base.

Look forward to seeing you in February on Century.

I can hardly wait to cruise with you guys, on -- where else (?) -- CENTURY!

I'm hoping that the wild popularity of our unique itinerary (almost sold out in two weeks) will get the attention of the "powers that be" at corporate. If they are planning to sell the grand old gal off, maybe this will help to change their minds. :cool:

My impression of the Celebrity Century is not nearly as favourable as many who have posted. Several years ago, we did a Western Med cruise out of Barcelona on the Century. It's a good thing that we had a previous Celebrity experience or that would have been our first and last on X.

Without reservation this was our worst cruise experience to date. The ship was the rockiest we've had, even in relatively calm seas. Staff were not up to the usual standard that we had on the Connie. Worst of all, our stateroom and corridor outside our room reeked of a sewage smell for the whole cruise. We tried to switch but the ship was fully booked.

I know that exceptions happen and that our experience may have been a one off. However, should this one be retired, we will not miss her.

My impression of the Celebrity Century is not nearly as favourable as many who have posted. Several years ago, we did a Western Med cruise out of Barcelona on the Century. It's a good thing that we had a previous Celebrity experience or that would have been our first and last on X.

Without reservation this was our worst cruise experience to date. The ship was the rockiest we've had, even in relatively calm seas. Staff were not up to the usual standard that we had on the Connie. Worst of all, our stateroom and corridor outside our room reeked of a sewage smell for the whole cruise. We tried to switch but the ship was fully booked.

I know that exceptions happen and that our experience may have been a one off. However, should this one be retired, we will not miss her.

Well sadly, rocky seas can be encountered anywhere, on any size ship. And even the new-builds can find themselves plagued by that unfortunate sewer smell. But, your comment that I find most surprising was about the crew. We sailed Century to Hawaii last year (15 nights) -- and I found her crew to be one of best. Maybe you caught them right after a major personnel change? Oh, and we did encounter some turbulence (coming and going) on that trip -- but, that's to be expected on the Pacific.

Edited by wwcruisers

The CENTURY was the last Celebrity ship designed and built when Chandris owned the company.

As such, she boasts a multi million dollar "real art" collection (as opposed to the fake art which followed on the newer ships) which was donated by the Chandris family from their personal collection. Interestingly, there used to be two lifesize sculptures of a man and a woman opposite the port and starboard entrances to the main show lounge. One of those mysteriously disappeared one year when she was in drydock. I don't know if Celebrity ever figured that one out or if the sculpture ever found it's way back.

We were on board for the Millenium cruise in 2000 and have sailed in her a number of other times. It would be sad to see her go.

I would really like Celebrity to keep Century, buff her up a bit, keep her stellar crew, and make sure great food is always a priority on this ship.

I don't want to see her Solsticized, but I would love to see Bistro on Five (or something similar) added to Century.

She is small enough to be welcomed into ports like Gustavia, St. Barts, and there are lots of us who would like Celebrity to offer the kinds of fresh itineraries that Century could sail. I would also like more overnight stops in some ports. HAL has some great itineraries that are available to smaller ships, but I'd rather stay with Celebrity if I can.

I have considered trying Azamara and Oceania, but, with the exception of Oceania Marina, the ships are too small, as I need a bit more to see and do on board.

Been sailing Celebrity since the 90's and have watched them over the years get rid of my favorite ships. Bigger is not always better, Princess keeps several smaller ships for exotic cruises, why can't Celebrity do the same with the Century? Am sailing the Century this fall.;)

Celebrity Century 10/22/13 Hawaii, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 days, NCL 28 days, Princess 214 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity 16 cruises.

Refurbish Century and than schedule her to do a world cruise and see how quickly she books up. If there is little interest, than do what you are probably planning now anyway, but do give her the opportunity to prove she can be a valuable commodity.

It is very simple.

I think that the target customer is the deciding factor as to whether the Century can be profitable for a cruise company. North American cruise passengers seem to want newer and larger ships, whereas customers in other markets may prefer (or at least be satisfied with) older, smaller ships. Also, Celebrity will face not only the costs of a major refurbishment but increased maintenance costs (I assume) as a ship gets older. Also the image of the cruise line is a factor. Various cruise lines have at different times boasted that they have the "youngest" fleet at sea (I think MSC is currently making this claim).

There may be a lot of nostalgia for older ships, but I agree with you, cruise company executives will look at the bottom line--can the ship make a profit and does an older, smaller ship meet the image that Celebrity is trying to project.

Edited by flag fan