Tea pot

Iceman500

Hi there we are first time cruisers on eclipse on 8 /9 13 can any one tell me if I need to take a tea pot as we don't like tea brewed in the cup.

The Eclipse has tea pots on the cruises out of Southhampton. If they did not you would not have been able to bring your own. FYI

Tea Pot -- yes, they would be allowed on all itineraries, and you may order hot water from room service or go to the buffet to get your own for brewing your tea

Tea Kettles -- no, not allowed

However, on Eclipse out of Southampton you will have a tea kettle in your stateroom. When Eclipse returns to the western hemisphere, the tea kettles will be removed.

Hi,

Did not see teapots in the buffet either so you can't take one from there so you'd have to take your own.

I'd suggest as per the tip I wrote that you help yourself to some milk cartoons (next to the breakfast cereal) as the stuff in the dispensers is UHT which kills tea - where as the carton milk is micro-filtered like Cravendale.

Also if you like a mug rather than the tiny glass cups in the room then if you get them from the buffet then the steward seems to be happy to wash them up for you :)

Chelsea.

Tea Pot -- yes, they would be allowed on all itineraries, and you may order hot water from room service or go to the buffet to get your own for brewing your tea

Tea Kettles -- no, not allowed

However, on Eclipse out of Southampton you will have a tea kettle in your stateroom. When Eclipse returns to the western hemisphere, the tea kettles will be removed.

We have brought our electric water heater on two ships so far; Princess Sapphire, and Celebrity Equinox. No problem, but both times, was informed that if it did not have an automatic shut-off, would not have been allowed. Ceramic Tea pots were provided, after we rejected the thermal white plastic pitchers. Heading to Vancouver soon and planning to purchase new tea pot from Murchies Tea to take with us. We use the long skinny "tea-bag like" holders in order to have easy clean-up without having to resort to bags.

From reports posted by other cruisers, I would say that your experience with a water heater being allowed on Celebrity was an unusual one. It is likely that if it is found, you will not be allowed to keep it in your stateroom. Just be aware, and have a back=up plan if it is taken. In general, water heating devices, with or without a shut off switch have been confiscated.

Ahh, you are right -- I was using the term incorrectly as noted in this Wikipedia article:

"The Western Hemisphere[1] or western hemisphere or occidental hemisphere[2] is mainly used as a geographical term for the half of the Earth that lies west of the IERS Reference Meridian (which crosses Greenwich, London, United Kingdom) and east of the Antimeridian, the other half being called the Eastern Hemisphere, or "oriental hemisphere".[3]

In this sense, the Western Hemisphere consists of the Americas, the western portions of Europe and Africa, the extreme eastern tip of Russia, numerous territories in Oceania, and a portion of Antarctica, while excluding some of the Aleutian Islands to the southwest of the Alaskan mainland.

The term is often used in political rhetoric to refer to only North and South America (or the New World) and adjacent islands; however, the Western Hemisphere technically includes all of the aforementioned territories.

In an effort to define the Western Hemisphere as the parts of the world which are not part of the Old World, there also exist projections which use the 20th meridian west and the diametrically opposed 160th meridian east to define the hemisphere.[4][5] This projection excludes the European and African mainlands and a small portion of northeast Greenland, but includes more of eastern Russia and Oceania (e.g., New Zealand)."

I erred, but apparently it is a common mistake, and I'll try to use the term "New World" in future.

Hi

We are on your sailing and are from NW. Yes there is a kettle for sailings from southampton - I dont really like teabags, but have to live with them for 2 weeks!

Cant see any reason you cant have a teapot if you can pack it!!

Angie

I can feel the pain of the Brits who don't always get the same promotions and discounts as we do in the U.S. But leaving Americans without tea kettles isn't fair either. Celebrity, haven't you ever heard the saying "Two wrongs don't make a right?" I love fresh brewed iced tea--around the clock--and would be thrilled to make a pot of tea in my own cabin and pour it over a glass of ice. Yum! The iced tea that is served on the ship is always too strong, and tastes stale.

I've heard that once a ship arrives on this side of the pond, the tea kettles are stored in a warehouse in Miami to keep them out of the hands of the American public! Is there anyway I can get one on the Solstice for our Pacific Coast cruise next month? Even if I promise to use it only to brew traditional British tea?!

I can feel the pain of the Brits who don't always get the same promotions and discounts as we do in the U.S. But leaving Americans without tea kettles isn't fair either. Celebrity, haven't you ever heard the saying "Two wrongs don't make a right?" I love fresh brewed iced tea--around the clock--and would be thrilled to make a pot of tea in my own cabin and pour it over a glass of ice. Yum! The iced tea that is served on the ship is always too strong, and tastes stale.

I've heard that once a ship arrives on this side of the pond, the tea kettles are stored in a warehouse in Miami to keep them out of the hands of the American public! Is there anyway I can get one on the Solstice for our Pacific Coast cruise next month? Even if I promise to use it only to brew traditional British tea?!

We are always told that the electric kettles are dangerous so they are not allowed. If they are that dangerous, why allow them on ships out of the UK? Or maybe they think those of us on the other side of the pond don't know how to use them?:confused: I feel the same way about iced tea that you do and I have to say the iced tea on the Constellation was among the worst I have ever tasted (probably the only bad thing about that cruise).

We are always told that the electric kettles are dangerous so they are not allowed. If they are that dangerous, why allow them on ships out of the UK? Or maybe they think those of us on the other side of the pond don't know how to use them?:confused: I feel the same way about iced tea that you do and I have to say the iced tea on the Constellation was among the worst I have ever tasted (probably the only bad thing about that cruise).

I would say that for Europe Celebrity use a kettle with a low enough wattage so as to meet the regulations here. Having been on Eclipse with them on I can vouch that they aren't very powerful and take an age to boil. No such guarantee can be given to those brought onboard by passengers nor their condition hence the ban. US and other parts of the world have different regulations and therefore not even the low wattage Celebrity kettles can be used.

Phil

We did a back to back - Europe and then transatlantic. The kettles disappeared befoe we left Southampton for the transatlantic leg!!

I came down with a bad cold and got some of those lemon drinks from the med centre on board. I asked for a kettle so I could make them up but was declined. I had to go up to the buffet to get hot water to make up the drink!!

Hi there we are first time cruisers on eclipse on 8 /9 13 can any one tell me if I need to take a tea pot as we don't like tea brewed in the cup.

Iceman, if you are talking about the pot, and not a kettle for heating your water, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have a picture here at work, but if you buy the premium tea from Cafe Al Bacio, it is not loose leaf tea but it is brewed in a pot.

Archived