Another line bans verandah smoking

alwaysfrantic

I truly don't see, for SAFETY reasons, how any line still allows it post Star Princess.

I speak strictly for safety, not for preferences.

That was immediately after our very first cruise...and that was on the Caribbean Princess. I will always remember that and the devastating photos.

P&O has also banned balcony smoking, beginning in March-April of next year.

I think it's inevitable that eventually smoking on ships will be limited to public areas where there can be easier monitoring for fire.

I'm kind of interested now to see who's going to be next to change their policy. The only "biggies" left that immediately come to mind are Royal Caribbean, HAL, Carnival, and Norwegian. There have been a lot of rumors about a change coming at RCI, and apparently a new policy has already gone into effect for staff and crew.

P&O has also banned balcony smoking, beginning in March-April of next year.

I think it's inevitable that eventually smoking on ships will be limited to public areas where there can be easier monitoring for fire.

I'm kind of interested now to see who's going to be next to change their policy. The only "biggies" left that immediately come to mind are Royal Caribbean, HAL, Carnival, and Norwegian. There have been a lot of rumors about a change coming at RCI, and apparently a new policy has already gone into effect for staff and crew.

Each additional line that bans balcony smoking puts pressure on the remaining lines to follow suit. It is only a matter of time. I can't see HAL being the last of those left. I would guess the last will be Carnival.

not trying to turn this into a smoking thread (which I think it already is)

but.....if 20% still smoke? hmmm..... someone has an opportunity..

I know this is an unwanted statement - but it is a fact....and I suspect verandahs would sell out early. LOL

I know this is an unwanted statement - but it is a fact....and I suspect verandahs would sell out early. LOL

You have a valid point.

I so wish you hadn't added "LOL".

It just feels like a finger in the eyes of those who are bothered by second hand smoke... to laugh at us

over a very real health issue.

Oh well.......

Verandas always sell out anyway.

My guess is that the last line left with smoking on balconies will have the most problem selling balcony cabins.....or other cabins for that matter.

By the way the smoking rate continues to drop. It is down to 18% this year. Only 14% in New York City.

You have a valid point.

I so wish you hadn't added "LOL".

It just feels like a finger in the eyes of those who are bothered by second hand smoke... to laugh at us

over a very real health issue.

Oh well.......

Judy if my LOL was misread that was not the intention - it was meant as a smile - anyways I haven't learned all the verbage yet obviously

there was no finger in the eye intended at all. it was just an observation.

No laughing at anyone - I am sorry if I did not express it appropriately.

It was just an observation I was making. And I would think some of the cruise lines are

My guess is that the last line left with smoking on balconies will have the most problem selling balcony cabins.....or other cabins for that matter.

By the way the smoking rate continues to drop. It is down to 18% this year. Only 14% in New York City.

You are forgetting about the European market - and btw - balconies and suites do not always sell out - sorry.

In any case, I don't want to get into an argument and knew in hindsight I shouldn't have posted. It was just a thought. always avoid smoking threads and never, ever post. sorry to disrupt things.

I heard the same statistic and what is encouraging is a report I heard saying the percent of new teenage smokers has dropped. That is great news.

Massachusetts just instituted a new tax which raises the amount of tax on cigarettes another $1.00 per PACK. They will simply tax smoking out of the reach of most. People will be forced to quit when they cannot afford to buy them. This is sin tax to a really high level.

I guess I'll be forced to book on the last line to allow smoking on a balcony. If I can't book a cabin with smoking on the balcony, I'll quit cruising and go to a land vacation which still allows smoking. If and when they no longer allow smoking, I'll sit in my den or at my inground pool and smoke when I wish.

I heard the same statistic and what is encouraging is a report I heard saying the percent of new teenage smokers has dropped. That is great news.

Massachusetts just instituted a new tax which raises the amount of tax on cigarettes another $1.00 per PACK. They will simply tax smoking out of the reach of most. People will be forced to quit when they cannot afford to buy them. This is sin tax to a really high level.

I think your wrong Sails, people will always pay the price for their habits, just like for alcohol or any of the other drugs out there. They can and do forego other things so they can feed their habits.

Archived