Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

You are absolutely right when you say that most data breaches involve massive losses of data at merchants -- the recent Harbor Freight Tools breach is a good example -- but it's simply wrong to suggest that the chip of a chip and pin system can be read from your pocket. It's not a wireless technology, unlike RFID, or NFC (Near Field Communication). I know of no recognized expert who believes that you can read the embedded chip from your wallet any more than they can read the mag strip at a distance. I suspect that if it could be read through your wallet, there would have been a couple of sessions on it at the Black Hat Conference that recently ended. There was a great session on hacking car electronics, particularly for cars that have internet connectivity.

Alan

It looks to me that is just for X and AZA, unless I am looking at it wrong?

Yes you are looking at it wrong

Well, I do not see anywhere where one can get OBC on RCI for less than 25000 pts, please show me, I have a cruise coming up and need to use 15000pts and now that's no good because I use the balcony discount.

See the following

2. 5,000 MyCruise Points (choice of one)

• Upgrade on a 3 or 4 night Royal Caribbean sailing for two, (minimum available oceanview stateroom). Value of upgrade may not exceed fifty dollars ($50 USD value).

Fifty dollar ($50 USD value) Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara onboard credit toward onboard purchases i.e. spa, shore excursions, gift shop, bar, etc. (multiple onboard credits may be applied to a reservation if earned)

• Onboard amenity (choice of one)

n Two Royal Caribbean International robes ($100 USD value. Available only on Royal Caribbean ships.)

n Domaine Chandon and strawberries delivered onboard ($50 USD value. Available only on Royal Caribbean ships.)

Copied and pasted directly from the RCCL My Cruise Rewards Rules link.

See the following

• Upgrade on a 3 or 4 night Royal Caribbean sailing for two, (minimum available oceanview stateroom). Value of upgrade may not exceed fifty dollars ($50 USD value).

Fifty dollar ($50 USD value) Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara onboard credit toward onboard purchases i.e. spa, shore excursions, gift shop, bar, etc. (multiple onboard credits may be applied to a reservation if earned)

n Two Royal Caribbean International robes ($100 USD value. Available only on Royal Caribbean ships.)

n Domaine Chandon and strawberries delivered onboard ($50 USD value. Available only on Royal Caribbean ships.)

Did you even bother reading this thread. Oh wait, I can answer that,oh brother:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And by the way, on chips, all of the passports issued in the past few years have them, just like CC's

Edited by setsail

See the following

When the Rewards Options were initially listed on the RCI website, they did not include the redeeming of points for $50, $100, $150 and $200 for OBC when cruising on RCI, it was only listed for Celebrity and Azamara.

The corrections were listed in my post #121 which is on page 7.

Edited by cruisenfever

IF you use your points for a free companion fare (OV cabin) and you are staying in a balcony will you be able to use your balcony discount?

I was told that you can not combine balcony discount with anything that is $$$ off a cruise when redeeming points.

They were actually supposed to be doing that with the old Platinum Plus Card, but they never enforced it.

Edited by cruisenfever

I was told that you can not combine balcony discount with anything that is $$$ off a cruise when redeeming points.

They were actually supposed to be doing that with the old Platinum Plus Card, but they never enforced it.

Oh. So if you book balcony cabins I guess the only use for the points is for OBC:rolleyes:

I thought I had read somewhere on this thread that the balcony discount could only NOT be used if you were getting a free cruise. That's why I was asking about the free companion

Edited by molly361

Oh. So if you book balcony cabins I guess the only use for the points is for OBC:rolleyes:

You can still get the dollars off from the free cruise redemption, you just can't add the balcony discount.

You can still get the dollars off from the free cruise redemption, you just can't add the balcony discount.

So if you use 25,000 points for $250 off your cruise fare you can't get your $250 balcony discount? Crazy!!

Seems like the program this way does not favor those who stay in balconies and have C and A discounts. Is that the take away?:eek:

Edited by molly361

So if you use 25,000 points for $250 off your cruise fare you can't get your $250 balcony discount? Crazy!!

Seems like the program this way does not favor those who stay in balconies and have C and A discounts. Is that the take away?:eek:

I agree. It just seems that every month or two they find a way to restrict perks a bit more. This one follows the savings certificate restriction on booking.

For us, I'd use the $250 for OBC, and we would have no problem using that all up!

I agree. It just seems that every month or two they find a way to restrict perks a bit more. This one follows the savings certificate restriction on booking.

For us, I'd use the $250 for OBC, and we would have no problem using that all up!

Thanks Bob. I sure hope when the new savings certificates come out the rules state that the reservation has to be made in the same quarter as the savings certificates come out.

Look up points here...

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/royal_awards_chart_web_08.20.2013.pdf

If more people read/check this link, this thread wouldn't be so long.

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

Seems like the program this way does not favor those who stay in balconies and have C and A discounts. Is that the take away?

Yes, you can. Look under the 10,000 and 15,000 points here...

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/royal_awards_chart_web_08.20.2013.pdf

If you are getting a balcony discount, you can not redeem Visa Points and have additional $$$ taken off your booking. You can, however, redeem points for OBC and combine that with a balcony discount.

Anytime you redeem points for anything that is taking $$$ off a cruise, you can not combine that with a C&A balcony discount. It's one or the other.

Discounts under Special Rewards Terms & Conditions

A Reward Redemption for a Cruise Discount may not be combined with a Reward Redemption for a Cruise Vacation. Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits. Discounts are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”. Discounts may not be used to cover cruise deposits.

Edited by cruisenfever

Look up points here...

I think we have all read the link...several times. But since it is so different with some things and the link itself DID change after it was originally out there is confusion. Discussion and clarification is what CC is all about.

If you are getting a balcony discount, you can not redeem Visa Points and have additional $$$ taken off your booking. You can, however, redeem points for OBC and combine that with a balcony discount.

Anytime you redeem points for anything that is taking $$$ off a cruise, you can not combine that with a C&A balcony discount. It's one or the other.

A Reward Redemption for a Cruise Discount may not be combined with a Reward Redemption for a Cruise Vacation. Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits. Discounts are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”. Discounts may not be used to cover cruise deposits.

Thank you. That clarify's a lot for me. I have had a time wrapping my head around the concept of not being able to use for discounts but being able to be used for OBC. A dollar off is a dollar off to me, whether it is on board or at the time of final payment. Since I had a fiasco redeeming my points for a free companion fare a few years ago and then prices dropped I have been using my points for OBC anyway. So, with the "fix" of the original language it looks like nothing has changed for me. I only use the RCI card for booking cruises and other RCI charges anyway. There are much better cards out there with greater rewards nowdays, which is the whole point of this thread.

Use it for OBC.

Use it for OBC.

For those that like their balcony discounts or using a C&A Savings Certificate, that's about all you can use it for.

I think we have all read the link...several times. But since it is so different with some things and the link itself DID change after it was originally out there is confusion. Discussion and clarification is what CC is all about.

Thank you. That clarify's a lot for me. I have had a time wrapping my head around the concept of not being able to use for discounts but being able to be used for OBC. A dollar off is a dollar off to me, whether it is on board or at the time of final payment. Since I had a fiasco redeeming my points for a free companion fare a few years ago and then prices dropped I have been using my points for OBC anyway. So, with the "fix" of the original language it looks like nothing has changed for me. I only use the RCI card for booking cruises and other RCI charges anyway. There are much better cards out there with greater rewards nowdays, which is the whole point of this thread.

You're welcome.

I think the biggest problem is "interpretation" of the Terms and Conditions and then calling The Redemption Center with questions and hoping that the person on the other end knows how to interpret and explain in simple terms.:D

Edited by cruisenfever

Well to add to the confusion I called the Redemption Center this morning and was told that you CAN use your balcony discount with $$$ off your cruise fare.

The agent told me that you can use it with your balcony discount for money off a cruise and/or OBC.

You can not use it with upgrades/companion fares or free cruises.

YIKES!!!!:rolleyes::eek:

Well to add to the confusion I called the Redemption Center this morning and was told that you CAN use your balcony discount with $$$ off your cruise fare.

The agent told me that you can use it with your balcony discount for money off a cruise and/or OBC.

You can not use it with upgrades/companion fares or free cruises.

YIKES!!!!:rolleyes::eek:

I bet if you call again, you get a different answer.:rolleyes:

I bet if you call again, you get a different answer.:rolleyes:

I'm sure. Just keep calling until you get the answer you like!!! Seems like it is going to take a lot of work for them keeping up with taking off and putting on balcony discounts:rolleyes:

OMG, I give up.:( Don't tell me that their Terms & Conditions are wrong??:eek:

OK, so how would you interpert this.......

FYI - according to the RCL F A Q you need to request this upgrade.

PS Sorry if this was already posted.

< Back to Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® Card

s.gif

Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® Card

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page s.gif

Q: If I currently have the Royal Caribbean Visa Platinum® credit card will I receive an automatic upgrade to Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® credit card?s.gifA: Current cardholders of the Royal Caribbean Visa Platinum® credit card will need to call the 1-800 number for Bank of America® Customer Service on the back of your credit card. Ask to be reviewed for an upgrade of your current credit card to the Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® credit card.

If approved during your conversation with Bank of America you will have your current MyCruiseSM Points balance transferred to your Royal Caribbean Visa Signature credit card. Under no other circumstances can we combine or transfer MyCruiseSM Points from one credit card to another.

Edited by molly361

FYI - according to the RCL F A Q you need to request this upgrade.

PS Sorry if this was already posted.

< Back to Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® Card

s.gif

Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® Card

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page s.gif

Q: If I currently have the Royal Caribbean Visa Platinum® credit card will I receive an automatic upgrade to Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® credit card?s.gifA: Current cardholders of the Royal Caribbean Visa Platinum® credit card will need to call the 1-800 number for Bank of America® Customer Service on the back of your credit card. Ask to be reviewed for an upgrade of your current credit card to the Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® credit card.

If approved during your conversation with Bank of America you will have your current MyCruiseSM Points balance transferred to your Royal Caribbean Visa Signature credit card. Under no other circumstances can we combine or transfer MyCruiseSM Points from one credit card to another.

Sorry, but what are MyCruiseSM Points?:confused: