Summit passenger almost lands in jail

FIRELT5

random cabin search - they obviously had grounds to search it - smell perhaps?

Yeah, excuse my skepticism that the search was random LOL. That'd be quite a jackpot to hit on a "random search." Although, they do seem to nail quite a few cruise passengers for drug offenses in Bermuda.

Okay I have to ask.

Is 28 grams of weed a lot? :confused:

I honestly have no idea. :o

Also :

Hardy received a 30-day sentence, suspended for two years, and a $3,000 fine.

Does he have to do jail time if he returns?

Normally a suspended sentence means that if he gets into trouble in the future, the suspended sentence will then be actually imposed. It's an incentive to stay law abiding.

According to the cops I used to work with, depending how the person used it, 28 grams is about 56 joints. (Before I retired I was a Calif. criminal prosecutor.) Don't know from the story how often he smoked.

Normally a suspended sentence means that if he gets into trouble in the future, the suspended sentence will then be actually imposed. It's an incentive to stay law abiding.

According to the cops I used to work with, depending how the person used it, 28 grams is about 56 joints. (Before I retired I was a Calif. criminal prosecutor.) Don't know from the story how often he smoked.

:eek::eek: He would have been searched on day four (because boarding day has to be factored in) so that was for four more days.... did he have to actually travel at all? He was flying all the time just standing still.

Over ten joints a day :eek::eek: My guess is EVERYBODY could smell him :p

It does bring up a good point about Medical Marijuana. We sailed on NCL about three months ago and there were big signs at check in that Medical Marijuana is not permitted, any such signs on Celebrity.

"Medical" marijuana as it is being called, is still technically illegal in all 50 states. The fact that California has decided to ignore federal laws and issue "licenses" to smoke marijuana to anyone claiming to be "sick" or "depressed" or "in pain", doesn't make it legal.

In the same way that driving 70mph in a 65mph zone is illegal, but the law looks the other way, possessing, smoking and selling marijuana is illegal, but the feds are looking the other way while California moves forward with this little experiment.

I'm not debating whether or not it SHOULD be legal, that's another discussion. I'm just saying that marijuana IS illegal, regardless of any paper work someone may have saying otherwise.

Not to mention the simple point that everyone is always responsible for following any and all local, state or federal laws of the city/state/country you are currently in. This is common knowledge.

jp, your points are very well stated. I assume that most folks are aware of the study posted by the British Lung Foundation that indicated that pot is twenty times more dangerous than cigarettes. Simply stated; one reefer is the equivalent of twenty cigarettes.

"Medical" marijuana as it is being called, is still technically illegal in all 50 states. The fact that California has decided to ignore federal laws and issue "licenses" to smoke marijuana to anyone claiming to be "sick" or "depressed" or "in pain", doesn't make it legal.

In the same way that driving 70mph in a 65mph zone is illegal, but the law looks the other way, possessing, smoking and selling marijuana is illegal, but the feds are looking the other way while California moves forward with this little experiment.

I'm not debating whether or not it SHOULD be legal, that's another discussion. I'm just saying that marijuana IS illegal, regardless of any paper work someone may have saying otherwise.

Not to mention the simple point that everyone is always responsible for following any and all local, state or federal laws of the city/state/country you are currently in. This is common knowledge.

I understand that and should point out that New Jersey now has medical marijuana and the Summit, ship involved here, sails out of NJ. I was wondering if Celebrity has put any signs up at check in like NCL does. Anyone taking drugs out of the country to a new country which is as conservative as Bermuda is not thinking straight anyway.

jp, your points are very well stated. I assume that most folks are aware of the study posted by the British Lung Foundation that indicated that pot is twenty times more dangerous than cigarettes. Simply stated; one reefer is the equivalent of twenty cigarettes.

It continues to amaze me what has transpired in the past 30 years regarding tobacco smoking vs. marijuana smoking.

Our politically correct culture decided that tobacco was a curse a considerable effort was made to change the civic culture on tobacco smoking. In the 50s probably 60% of people smoked tobacco. Today the number is down to 20%. This is largely a good thing. Both my parents died of illness related to tobacco smoking.

On the other hand, many of those pot smoking hippies in the 60s have grown up and are in charge in some places. Smoking marijuana is now medicinal as well as recreational. It is being legalized more and more.

I can see the pros and cons to legalization and won't try to tackle this subject on cc.

However, as a non-smoker of anything, I have been around people smoking MJ and find it sickening. Also, for what I have read, smoking MJ is not healthy. Why then was MJ ignored when tobacco was put down?

I just hope that I don't smell any second hand smoke of any kind on my next cruise.

I believe the answer to both you observations is medical science (and not political correctness).

In the case of tobacco smoke, there is no medical reason one should smoke and the practice harms the smoker and those around them. Celebrity's restriction on the practice is part of the reason we sail with them since we don't like the experience of being on the next balcony down from a smoker.

Medical marihuana does pose some health risks but those are outweighed by the benefits they bring to those for whom it is properly prescribed. For some that is pain management and for others that is the enhancement of appetite. The onus is also on the patient to use it responsibly and to be aware of others. I don't smoke marijuana but I see its utility when dictated by clinical guidelines. Medical marijuana is legal in Canada and other countries but I agree that if one chooses to travel, they are properly limited by the laws of the countries they visit.

I understand that and should point out that New Jersey now has medical marijuana and the Summit, ship involved here, sails out of NJ. I was wondering if Celebrity has put any signs up at check in like NCL does. Anyone taking drugs out of the country to a new country which is as conservative as Bermuda is not thinking straight anyway.

The number of states that allow medical and/or recreational marijuana is now up to 20.

Interesting news article. This passenger should have been tossed in jail and had to know better then carry pot across the USA and then on to a cruise ship. That being said, one would suspect that the cabin search was anything but random. There are over 1200 cabins on that ship (when you count the crew cabins) and it would take days to go from cabin to cabin, have each cabin opened, and then search the cabin. Even with a drug dog, this would not be plausible. One might suspect that this passenger was smoking pot onboard, it was detected or reported to the crew, and the ship quietly requested the search. Such is life :)

Hank

These random cabin searches seem to be a regular Bermuda happening.

It appears to be a good way for them to raise capital as the perpetrator has to pay the fine to avoid jail time as well as enforce their strict drug laws.

From what I have been told they walk dogs up and down the halls and obviously, if something has been smoked in a cabin the dog alerts and they search the room.

Apparently back in May they caught 2 separate people on the same Norwegian ship.

Either other ports doing this don't hit the news or Bermuda is the only one that actively searches the ships in this manner.

From what I have been told they walk dogs up and down the halls and obviously, if something has been smoked in a cabin the dog alerts and they search the room.

Now that would make sense as to how they keep conducting these "random" searches in Bermuda and hitting the jackpot!

NJ's medical marijuana regulation is so strict that it is virtually unavailable.

Interesting news article. This passenger should have been tossed in jail and had to know better then carry pot across the USA and then on to a cruise ship. That being said, one would suspect that the cabin search was anything but random. There are over 1200 cabins on that ship (when you count the crew cabins) and it would take days to go from cabin to cabin, have each cabin opened, and then search the cabin. Even with a drug dog, this would not be plausible. One might suspect that this passenger was smoking pot onboard, it was detected or reported to the crew, and the ship quietly requested the search. Such is life :)

Hank

My thoughts exactly.

He knew it was wrong and he tried to get away with it. I doubt it was medically needed......doesn't everyone say that anymore. Geez. They should have thrown his but in jail and fined him.

Medical marihuana does pose some health risks but those are outweighed by the benefits they bring to those for whom it is properly prescribed. For some that is pain management and for others that is the enhancement of appetite. The onus is also on the patient to use it responsibly and to be aware of others. I don't smoke marijuana but I see its utility when dictated by clinical guidelines. Medical marijuana is legal in Canada and other countries but I agree that if one chooses to travel, they are properly limited by the laws of the countries they visit.

There are indeed medicinal uses for the active ingredient in marijuana but one need not SMOKE marijuana to get them. For patients with an actual need for those medicinal benefits there is a prescription drug called Marinol which provides those benefits LEGALLY. All those people flocking to medical marijuana clinics do so in order to get a card that alleges they "have to smoke" dope. Their medical conditions have shown NO scientific proof to benefit from the active ingredient in marijuana.

There are only TWO conditions that MM has shown to be effective for and that is glaucoma and enhancing appetite for patients undergoing chemo or with other conditions that cause severe nausea that interfere with hunger and desire to eat. There is absolutely NO scientific evidence that MM controls pain, migraines, foot fungus, MS, or any other condition despite what all the MM users claim.

Responsible prescribers of MM also tell patients CLEARLY that the card is only good in the state in which they reside and it does not stop the federal government from bringing charges. This guy knew exactly what he was doing and that he was taking a HUGE risk. If he was truly in pain he could have gone to a family practice doctor and got Marinol for the trip. He didn't. This isn't about any medical condition and IS about his desire to smoke dope.

In the case of tobacco smoke, there is no medical reason one should smoke and the practice harms the smoker and those around them. Celebrity's restriction on the practice is part of the reason we sail with them since we don't like the experience of being on the next balcony down from a smoker.

As I said above there is no medical reason to SMOKE MM as there is a legal pill form available. Dope smokers choose to ignore that.

Consider this: Celebrity is a NO-SMOKING line when it comes to the majority of the areas on board and like you said why many cruisers choose them. They clearly do not allow smoking of ANY illegal substance on board. So where was reefer boy going to fire up his 56 doobies in order to smoke them on this cruise? Especially on sea days. How did he smoke daily to control his pain when not in port? I am guessing he didn't show one issue with pain or he was smoking illegally somewhere on board and that is what triggered the "random" cabin search.

Archived