How does Princess "do" the Super Bowl?

Ozzmund

We will be on the Crown 2/1-8. Does Princess do anything special for the Sper Bowl, i.e viewing party, special food, etc.?

Yes, the time I was on the Coral for a SB they had football types of snacks like chips, salsa, guacamole, burritos, pizza & other types of nibbles. The atrium had a display set up for the game.

Last time we sailed on the Island, they had a SB party up on the Lido deck and MUTS. They had beer specials and set up a big munchie spread that included wings, chips, salsa, guacamole and other finger food for consumption during the game. They also had the game on a big screen in the theater. It was fun and we had supporters of both teams aboard cheering on their chosen team. The only thing missing was the local ads which was a blank space during their airing. The national ads were shown of course.

Only other thing to know is Go early and claim your seat. do not wait until just before the game as the venues get very crowded. When I did this two years ago I went looking for a seat at 5:00 for the 8:00 start and almost didn't get one. Great thing to tell people of sitting on the main deck watching the SB on a 300 sq ft TV. Take pictures as they will not believe you.

Only other thing to know is Go early and claim your seat. do not wait until just before the game as the venues get very crowded. When I did this two years ago I went looking for a seat at 5:00 for the 8:00 start and almost didn't get one. Great thing to tell people of sitting on the main deck watching the SB on a 300 sq ft TV. Take pictures as they will not believe you.

Agreed! Last year we were on the Golden and about 6 of us went out and got a table at the bar on the Sun deck (can't remember the name of it) at 9:30 am for a 2 pm kickoff and the Lido and Sun decks were already filling up fast. It's a great way to watch the game and a whole lot of fun even if you're not a football fan.

Beachbum

And I was just thinking that I should avoid cruising during Super Bowl at all costs! :eek:

I'm on a crise to the Caribbean from 2/1 to 2/8. I understand that there will be 300 guys from Cleveland aboard to watch the Super Bowl. The itinerary also calls for a stop at Princess Cays that day....I think it might be a good time to check out the island.....

I'm on a crise to the Caribbean from 2/1 to 2/8. I understand that there will be 300 guys from Cleveland aboard to watch the Super Bowl. The itinerary also calls for a stop at Princess Cays that day....I think it might be a good time to check out the island.....

Assuming you remain on Eastern Time, the Super Bowl doesn't usually start until around 6:30 PM. I think the ship departs Princess Cays at 4:30 PM; all aboard even before that. You'll arrive back just in time to catch the end of the pre-game activities!!! :eek:

We were on Grand Turk for last year's Super Bowl. We were on AST, so the game didn't begin until 6pm or so. We opted to skip the island and instead went to MUTS early- around 10am- and stayed there all day to have good seats for the game. We were surprised (no, I guess we really weren't) by the people who laid claim to loungers, went to the beach when we arrived at Grand Turk about noon, and then came back in time for the start of the game. Not our style, but they seemed to successfully get away with it.

We were on Grand Turk for last year's Super Bowl. We were on AST, so the game didn't begin until 6pm or so. We opted to skip the island and instead went to MUTS early- around 10am- and stayed there all day to have good seats for the game. We were surprised (no, I guess we really weren't) by the people who laid claim to loungers, went to the beach when we arrived at Grand Turk about noon, and then came back in time for the start of the game. Not our style, but they seemed to successfully get away with it.

They should call Super Bowl Sunday on cruise ships 'National Chair Hog Day'. We go out early to get seats and like you stay in them until the game starts. I hate, hate, hate, chair hogs ;) But that's a whole other topic that's been pretty much beaten to death.

Beachbum

We were on the Emerald this year during Super Bowl. They had a screen (like a movie screen) set up in Club Fusion with the broadcast, and served snacks like pizza bites, chips, etc. Beer buckets were also for sale. The game was also broadcast on MUTS.

We were on that same Emerald sailing with you!

Everything as you described plus it was also on in Speakeasy!

Fun to be on a ship for Super Bowl! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Assuming you remain on Eastern Time, the Super Bowl doesn't usually start until around 6:30 PM. I think the ship departs Princess Cays at 4:30 PM; all aboard even before that. You'll arrive back just in time to catch the end of the pre-game activities!!! :eek:

Ah yes! Living in Alaska, it usually starts about 2:30 in the afternoon.

Anyway, There is nothing I find more boring than the pre game show.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be interesting......

Ah yes! Living in Alaska, it usually starts about 2:30 in the afternoon.

Anyway, There is nothing I find more boring than the pre game show.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be interesting......

Mike ... Not to worry!

Not everyone wants to watch the Super Bowl. Princess will offer many other things to do that evening! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Mike ... Not to worry!

Not everyone wants to watch the Super Bowl. Princess will offer many other things to do that evening! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks, LuLu. It has been many years since I have watch the super bowl seriously. Back in the old days it was a game-a good game but basically a game. Now it has become an all day event for many and it is hyped to no end. The football is almost an afterthought.

I have no doubt that we will find plenty to do that night.:)

They should call Super Bowl Sunday on cruise ships 'National Chair Hog Day'. We go out early to get seats and like you stay in them until the game starts. I hate, hate, hate, chair hogs.

Here is the perfect way to save your lounge for the Supe Bowl.

101_2267Relaxingondeck15.jpg

• 1 month later...

It will probably depend on where you are cruising. I have been on several cruises at Super Bowl time. The last time we were sailing somewhere near Cape Horn so the Super Bowl was shown in the Princess Theater. As another member posted, there was no pre-game, no post-game and the only commercials were for rugby and soccer. I will tell you that the experience still gives me goose bumps. It brought tears to my eyes when the entire audience stood and sang along to the Star Spangled Banner. I still have a soft spot for the Saints after that game. IMHO you will have a good experience with Princess wherever you are.

Archived